Chapter 4 - Why do I care?

Straight from the Source, Kim Jongin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You stood in front of your full length mirror, examining your outfit which consisted of a black high waisted skirt and a graphic t-shirt along with a beanie. Sure, it wasn’t an outfit that screamed ‘I mean business’ but you wanted to wear what you usually wore to show your boss that you are unique. You picked up your purse and left you room to go down the stairs when you passed by Jongin’s room, reminding you of the events that happened in the morning. You sighed, how can I make it up to him?

You stared up at the grey building that had the large letters, INB printed on it, and took a deep breath before entering the building. It was a lot more spacious than you would have thought with a mini waterfall cascading behind the front desk. Basically all of the furniture and walls were made out of glass, making you stare in awe at the classiness of the building.

“You must be Lee Jaein, am I right?” a cute high pitched voice asked. You turned to look back at the owner of the voice, a petite girl who had looks that matched her cute voice.

“Yeah, I’m Jaein but you can call me Jay,” you warmly greeted her and stuck out your hand.

She took your hand in hers and shook it firmly, “It’s nice to meet you! I’m Ailee, and I’ll be working in the same sector as you.”

“About that…do you know where the sector actually is?” you scratched the back of your head, “I’m kind of lost.”

She giggled, “of course! I’ll show you where it is,” she pulled on your hand and started walking towards the left wing, “by the way, I’m twenty so you can call me unni if you’d like!”

She’s older than me?! You were surprised by her age that didn’t match her youthful looking face but you continued to nod, “I’ve never had an unnie before…” you whispered, but she turned to you with a surprised face,

“Never?” Her eyes twinkled in amusement as I shook my head, “Well then Jay, looks like you have your first unnie right here!” She pointed to herself while grinning and continuing to walk.

You didn’t know what it was exactly, but Ailee seemed to have good intentions and she was not like any of the girls who made fun of you in Canada. A bubbly feeling filled in your stomach as you thought about the warmth that she radiated just by telling you to call her unnie.

“Here we are! The international sector of our broadcasting station,” she opened up her arms to signify the entire area, “And this is where all of the magic happens!”

Your eyes roamed around the room to find tons of broadcasting equipment, a separate room with a green screen, extravagant cameras that would probably cost more than your life savings and the set where the anchors recorded the news. Involuntarily, your eyes became wet as you thought about how long it took to come this far, and how close you were to having your dreams come true.

“Why are you crying Jay?!” Ailee shook your shoulders wildly with a scared expression on her face. “D-Did I overwhelm you? Or maybe I shouldn’t have acted so close to you that fas-“

“No! That’s not it unnie,” you waved you hands in denial and brushed off your tears, “I’m just…happy.”

Ailee’s face softened into a smile, “I’m happy for you too Jay,” she handed you a tissue from her pocket before saying, “I heard there was some stiff competition for this position, how did you manage to win over the judges?” She asked with a curious expression.

You chuckled, “It wasn’t easy, but let’s just say that they thought I was different…unique even. Almost like they’ve never seen anyone like me before.”

She giggled and punched you lightly in the arm, “look! There’s our boss!” she pointed to a young man standing with a group of camera directors. Ailee pulled you in closer to whisper in your ear, “he may look like a laid back man but trust me, you don’t want to get on his bad side.”

Your eyes widened and you nodded carefully before she pulled you over to the person you’d be calling ‘boss’ soon enough.

Ailee cleared , “Boss, I’d like to introduce the newest member of our team,” she paused for a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter