Chapter 16 - The Answer

Straight from the Source, Kim Jongin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Stupid high school students…” the bus driver grumbled, slamming his doors shut and driving away.

“We’re done high school ahjusshi!” you called after him, but you knew that it was too late for him to hear you. You sighed and turned your attention back to Jongin, “So now that we missed our bus…are you going to answer my question?”

He looked at you weirdly and shook his head, “I didn’t know you would actually miss the bus just to hear my answer…”

“Of course I would! I’ve been wondering this ever since we were young,” you slapped his shoulder, “Now speak!”

Jongin rubbed his shoulder and shot you a look, “Okay, okay! Jeez, I almost forgot that you were this violent…” you stared at him, threatening to send another punch before he began speaking again, “I don’t hate you Jay.”

You rolled your eyes, “I’ve heard that one before Kim Jongin, now tell me the real reason why you hate me so much.”

Jongin stopped walking and stared at you before grasping onto both of your shoulders and shifting your body until your back hit the bricks of a building. You let out a small gasp and your eyes widened, seeing Jongin’s face so close to yours. His eyes looked like they were searching for something, and his hands were still grasping tightly to your shoulders.

“What can I say,” he whispered, his face getting closer and closer to yours, “that will make you believe me?” His voice became breathy and incoherent for a second before you shook your head and answered him.

“I don’t think I’ll ever believe you,” you spoke honestly, your eyes never daring to part from his.

His head dropped as he let out a sigh, but you drew in another sharp breath when you felt his hands drop from your shoulders and onto your waist. “J-Jongin?” you squeaked at his skinship and squirmed, trying to get his hands off of you. You could already feel your body heating up from his touch, but you didn’t want to tell him.

“If you don’t believe me with words…” he stared down at you with fierce eyes and brought his face closer to yours until you felt his warm breath on your cheeks, “how about with actions?”

Your eyes widened at his words but before you could say anything, you heard a familiar voice calling your name at the side.

“Jay? Lee Jaein, is that you?”

Both Jongin and your head snapped towards the voice and you felt relieved to see L standing there with a bag full of groceries in one hand, staring at you two. Jongin immediately let loose of his grip on your waist and stepped away from your body.

“L! What are you doing here?” you asked, straightening your shirt out and walking over to him. You felt the colour returning back into your cheeks and the heat disappearing from your body.

He lifted up his bag of groceries, “I was doing a little shopping…” he stopped for a second and glanced at Jongin who was eyeing him from a distance, “Are you…okay?”

You looked back at Jongin and gave L a smile, “I’m fine! I was just walking home with my friend,” you pointed at Jongin, who was still giving L a dirty look, “I’m going to get moving now, we kind of already missed our bus so…walking is all we have.”

L nodded, “Alright, and I think Sunggyu hyung finally decided what position he wants you in.”

Your jaw dropped immediately, “No way! Finally after a month he decided?!”

He nodded once again and laughed at your cuteness, “I think he’s going to let you know tomorrow, you know, if you decide to not cancel on work like you did today…”

You bit your lip, “About that…something came up- or rather someone, and I had to cancel-“

“No worries!” L chuckled and punched you in the arm lightly, “I already covered for you so you probably won’t get in trouble tomorrow.”

“Thanks L, you’re the best!” you exclaimed, throwing your arms onto him and embracing him tightly. You let him go when you heard Jongin coughing in the background, feeling his eyes burning through the back of your skull.

L coughed a little himself, and you could swear that you saw a tint of pink in his cheeks, “N-No problem! So I’ll see you tomorrow, promise?” He held out his pinky finger, waiting for you to hook yours with his.

You smiled at his cute gesture and took his pink in yours, “Promise!” You waved goodbye to him as he crossed the street and left your vision.

“So who is he?” you heard Jongin ask you as soon as L left.

“I work with him,” you said simply, “and he’s a really good friend of m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter