Chapter 32 - Trouble

Straight from the Source, Kim Jongin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaein’s POV:

Christmas was coming up in the next few days and the only thought that came to my mind is the fact that I didn’t know what buy for Jongin. I tapped my pen on the table and brainstormed ideas while L was diligently working on the pitches for our broadcast.

L peeked over my shoulder and saw that the paper in front of me was completely blank. “I already have some ideas if you need incentive Jay,” he offered.

I shook my head, “I’m actually thinking of ideas for Jongin’s Christmas present, but I have some pitches as well.”

“Oh, why don’t you get him something that’s a classic…like a watch?” he suggested, shrugging his shoulders.

A watch? He already has a ton of watches from Mr. And Mrs. Kim for his birthday…In fact, he has almost everything he wants already, with parents as rich as them.

“I want to get something for him that he doesn’t already have,” I scribbled on the piece of paper in frustration. There had to be something that he wants but doesn’t already possess.

“Maybe a handmade gift?” Ailee chimed, appearing from the doorway and taking a seat across from me.

I wrinkled my nose, “I don’t even know if he likes handmade gifts…plus I’m not too good with making anything.”

“It really having a rich boyfriend right Jay?” Ailee said, a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

“Boyfriend?” I blinked at her, “I never really thought that he’s my boyfriend…and besides, he’s still engaged to Krystal.”

“If you guys aren’t dating…what is your relationship?” Ailee had a confused look written on her face. However, even that was a question that I still didn’t know the answer to.

“Jay, you’re getting a call,” L nodded his head towards my phone which was vibrating against the table.

“Hello?”

“Hey,”

I took a deep breath, “Jongin…what’s up?”

“Are you free in like…ten minutes?” I felt chills running down my spine from his deep voice but pulled it together to respond to him.

“Yeah, I just have to finish a couple things with L and then I’ll be free,” I looked over at L still had his nose buried in the pile of papers.

“Great, meet me at the cafe?”

“Okay,” I breathed. I really didn’t know when I started to feel nervous around Jongin but these days I was becoming more and more illiterate. I clicked the off button on my phone and stood up to collect my belongings.

“Was that who I think it was?” L asked, the corner of his lip rising into a smirk. I blushed and dropped my gaze to the ground, nodding slightly. “Don’t worry about the work, I’ll get it done and you can just edit the script for tomorrow, okay?”

“L, I can’t let you do all the work,” my eyes widened but he just responded with a chuckle.

“I’ll be fine, you go enjoy your coffee date with Jongin,” he began to push me out the door and gave me a wave before the door to the office clicked shut.

 

The warmth of the cafe surrounded my body and the snowflakes that were caught in my hair were slowly melting. My eyes roamed through the room and found Jongin quietly seated at the corner of the cafe, sipping a coffee. He was out of his training clothes and wearing a white sweater along with a pair of black jeans.

“You look good,” I commented and took a seat across from him. Jongin’s cheeks turned a little pink which made me wonder how exactly I had gone nine years without speaking to him in Canada. “How are the other members?”

“They’re fine,” Jongin smiled, “I think Tao misses you the most, he told me just before I left SM that he wants to meet with you soon.”

To think that Tao’s personality didn’t match his taunting visuals was funny to me now, since before I had been too scared to talk to him. “So, did you want to talk to me about something in specific?” I asked while stealing the cup of coffee from his hands and taking a sip.

He laughed and shook his head, “I just wanted to see you before I get busy, besides, the end of the year music awards are coming up. They’re making us practice like crazy especially because we might have a chance to win the rookie group category.”

“What are you talking about? Of course you’ll win, you guys have had the most success out of all the rookie groups,” I punched his shoulder while Jongin gave me an unsure look. “Jongin, I have been broadcasting since before your debut. Basically all of the news stories that come in are about Exo! Hell, we might as well be the Exo news station instead of entertainment news,” I said with partial seriousness.

Jongin let out a small laugh, “Are you sure it’s not just because you like me?” I gaped at him and slapped his arm but he continued to tease, “I mean it could just be that you favor me and my team right?”

“Wrong! Besides, even if you are my boy-“ I stopped myself for a second. Jongin’s laugh died down immediately and he bit his lip.

“What were you going to say?” he asked gently, pushing his knee against mine underneath the table. I didn’t want to say he was my boyfriend without any confirmation. That would really only lead me into embarrassment. I felt his knee push against mine once more urging me to respond to him.

I sighed, “Jongin, what are we?”

He bit his lip again and thought for a second, “we’re together…right?”

“Right,” I said softly, “But are we…boyfriend and girlfriend?”

The question silenced both of us, the buzz of the cafe getting louder and louder by the second. He must’ve been bothered by it too, seeing as he’s having a hard time responding.

“We are boyfriend and girlfriend,” Jongin spoke suddenly. My eyes widened at his words but I let him continue, “I’m going to get out of this engagement, I promise. But until then, will you trust me and stay with me?” His eyes were pleading and he leaned forward, grasping my hands gently.

“You know I’m not the type to make irrational decision,” I pushed his hand back and kept my gaze fixated on his, “The deal was that you marry Krystal and then your parents’ personal lives won’t be intruded. I don’t see how you’re going to make this work.” I really hated the words that were coming out of my mouth, but they were on my mind for a long time.

Jongin pushed his hand through his hair, “I am going to make it work. I’ve waited too long for this, and I already have a plan. You know how I feel for you right?”

I felt shy at his words but I nodded, “Can I just…trust that your plan will work?”

He nodded surely and placed his hand back on top of mine, “now about Christmas…”

I groaned, knowing where this conversation was heading. “Another party hosted by your parents right?”

“How did you know?” Jongin looked surprised, “My parents made sure that no one else but the ones invit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter