Chapter 24 - Illiterate

Straight from the Source, Kim Jongin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaein's POV:

I watched as the limo drove away in the distance, dropping Dahye and I off at the movie theatre. Before I left the car, Jongin gave me a quick glance before turning his attention back to his damn phone. His expression was unreadable, but maybe that was because the night was getting so dark that there was barely any light to be able to see his expression clearly. As soon as the coast was clear, Dahye clung onto my arm, giving me a small hug. 

I looked down at her, "I know you're up to something," Dahye's eyes widened as if she had been caught, "but I won't ask what it is," I finished, making Dahye breath a sigh of relief. "All I'm asking is that you meet me here at 11:45, text me if you run into any problems, and most importantly, don't make me...or your brother worry." 

Dahye nodded her head quickly, "I promise unni, and thanks for covering for me," she gave me another tight hug before waving her hand and opening the door to the theatre. "By the way!" Dahye shouted after me, "You should really talk to him when we get home." 

I opened my mouth to reply, but by the time that I had, Dahye was already half way inside of the theatre. I thought carefully about Dahye's words while making my way down the street to my destination. Talk to who...? Could it be that she wants me to talk to Jongin? That's not going to happen, he would probably freak on me again for being stupid, or irresponsible... I pulled at my own hair in frustration about my own thoughts. My eyes flickered to a neon sign hanging from the window of a darkened building that was half lit and half running low on energy. 

Now Hiring!
Baristas needed!

To be truthful, my entire motive for being dropped off here instead of at home was because I didn't want to face Jongin for starters, and I knew Dahye was in need of my help. But before all of those reasons, the entire time I was in the limo after our fight, I had realized that I needed to find myself a job. I eyed the sign intently, staring at my option. Since INB is clearly voluntary work, I need a job in order to collect money and move out of the house as soon as I could. My parents expect me to be at the Kims' for the entire time that I'm at Korea, but I knew ever since the beginning, I couldn't stay forever. And I felt like after the fight, Jongin had tipped me over the edge. He said it himself, he would never take a second look at me, he doesn't worry about me. I took a deep breath and reached for the handle of the door to the cafe. 

 

Dahye's POV:

My heart beat was already quickening as soon as I entered the theatre, leaving Jay unni to think about my words. There, waiting at a table in the corner, Sehun sat, his eyes twinkling at my appearance. I felt my heart beat double in speed as I walked closer and closer to him. Heel, toe, heel, toe, I reminded myself as I walked carefully in my pumps that were already giving me blisters. I felt something hard bump into me making me yelp slightly and lose my balance, but before I could hit the floor, a pair of strong arms steadied me. My eyes were so focused on my shoes that I didn't notice Sehun had gotten up and met me halfway. 

"H-Hi," I stammered, feeling my face redden by the second at my embarrassing slip up. Kim Dahye you're so stupid! How are you going to prove to him that you're a woman when you can't even walk in heels! 

Sehun let go of my body as soon as I stood up straight, smoothening out my dress in hopes that he couldn't see that I was clearly embarrassed. When I looked back up at him, he had his hands tucked inside the pockets of his pants, and he was smiling warmly at me. 

"You're exactly like Jay, always stumbling and being clumsy," he chuckled, ruffling my hair lightly. 

I groaned silently in my mind, great...he takes me for a toddler. Way to go Dahye. I cleared my throat before speaking again, "So, why did you want me to meet you here?" 

Sehun looked taken aback by my words, probably since that's the most he has ever heard me talk. "It was just as I said in the text, I wanted to see you." 

"You saw me all night," I raised an eyebrow at him, "until that noona of yours showed up that is." I heard myself saying these words, and even in my perspective, there seemed to be jealously in my voice.

Now it was Sehun's turn to raise his eyebrow, "You meen Yumi noona? Oh yeah, she's great, I met her last year when I had a chance to model with her in a commercial before my debut."

"Really? You're just going to gloat about her to my face?" I blurted, my frustration making its way out of my body without my consent. 

Sehun's eyes widened before he understand my meaning behind my words, "Ah, so you're jealous," his eyes twinkled in amusement. He spoke as if it were a fact, instead of a question which frustrated me even more.

"I never said that," I muttered under my breath, but I knew it was true. 

Sehun sighed, "Listen, I called you here because I wanted to let you know something." He stopped for a moment, his eyes looking back at mine to see if I was paying attention. I nodded, urging him to continue, "I know you like me Dahye." 

What the. How did he know?! , , , this is not good. I stood there, too flustered to speak, opening and closing my mouth over and over, trying to find words to say. 

"It's okay," Sehun put his hand on top of my bare shoulder, making me shiver slightly, "I get it a lot, but that's why I called you here, to let you down easy so that you don't develop more feelings for me." My jaw dropped at his selfish words, but he continued on, "Think of it like this; I'm nineteen, and you're sixteen. I want girls that are curvy, and fully developed, but you're not exactly...there yet." His eyes scanned me up and down as he nodded at his assumption. 

A pain shot through my body as if a thousand needles were being stuck into my heart. My thoughts were everywhere, and the room felt like it was spinning on its own. I need to go. I need to get out of here. As fast as I could, I turned my body away from Sehun and ran towards the exit, ignoring his shouts after me. My eyes were already welling with tears, he broke my heart before I even confessed to him. My worst nightmare had come alive. 

 

Jongin's POV: 

She's being unfair. Or am I being unfair...? I let out a cry of frustration, burying my face into the pillow. It was eleven o'clock and here I am, still thinking about my fight with Jay. My mind flashed back to the malacious comments that came out of my own mouth, but at that time, they felt appropriate. But even while in the limo, the guilt was eating me alive when I glanced over at Jay whose face was stricken with pain and eyes shining with tears. She would never spill her tears in front of me though, I knew that for a fact. 

I groaned again, rolling over to the side of my bed where my phone had been charging after I sent an extensive paragraph venting to Kyungsoo hyung about Jay. I scrolled through the text messages, rereading his 'brotherly advice' to in all circumstances, apologize to her for saying what I had said. He was right, but my pride wouldn't allow that to happen. My mind at that time was filled by the image of L kissing Jay on the cheek, her expression mixed with surprise and embarrassment. This is so unlike me to be thinking about Jay like this...what's wrong with me? Before I could answer my own question, my phone began to ring, indicating a call coming from Dahye. 

"Hello?" I answered the phone immediately, wondering why Dahye would be calling when she and Jay should be on their way home in half an hour. 

Sniffling could be heard on the other side before Dahye's voice cracked, "O-Oppa..."

I sat up straight in my bed instantly at the sound of her wavering voice, "Dahye, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" 

"Can you pick me up please?" Dahye sobbed into the phone, "Please, I really need you to pick me up."

"I'll be there in five," I answered quickly, throwing my phone onto the bed without a second thought and picking up my jacket to run out the door. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter