The Roommate

Dream Catcher
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The door opened violently and the young man came in late waterspouts. He walked in and went to the wardrobe. He took a backpack at the bottom of it and filled with some of his clothes.


"You're going out again? "


He didn’t turn around; he didn’t need to do it to see who had spoken. The brown haired boy was sitting on the desk, staring at him.


"You're going to sleep at one of your friend’s? "


The other didn’t reply and continued to pack his things.


"You know you’ll have to accept it sooner or later. You can’t keep sleeping in another room forever. "


The thin boy ignored him and went to the door to leave but before he could go out his roommate called out.


"Yah Eunhyuk! Is it such a bad thing sharing a room with me? You hate me so much? "


The said Eunhyuk turned his head slightly to launch a glare at the other.


"You know the answer to that question ..."


Then he went out while slamming the door behind him. The brunette sighed heavily. It had been a month he shared his room with Lee Hyukjae, more commonly known as Eunhyuk, and he hadn’t spent a single night in their room. Donghae knew why the boy didn’t want to share the same room, and honestly he was as pleased as him by this arrangement, but they had no choice.


Donghae was a student of one of the most prestigious schools in Seoul. He and his sister, Min Ha, had come here three years ago to study in this school because her sister was a genius. They may well be born within a few minutes and share the same face, her twin sister was much smarter than him. She was perfect in all respects, while he was nothing special. And while Donghae could be jealous, he had rather a very close relationship with her. That was why he had chosen to follow her here. Except that, unlike his sister, who was rapidly adapted, Donghae didn’t really manage to make friends. Because his sister was enough for him. And this charming creature who came out of his room? He was MinHa’s boyfriend. Donghae had never understood what MinHa saw in this guy... He wasn’t particularly smart or particularly special. Although he had a reputation in school as part of the dance group of the school, which was considered the local stars, which made him be in the popular group. For some reason Eunhyuk and Donghae never liked each other from the beginning, their dislike was mutual. It was also largely because of this that he became an outcast. In front of MinHa, Eunhyuk was kind with Donghae, but when his sister was not around he didn’t missed an opportunity to bully Donghae. Despite his low opinion of Eunhyuk, the boy had never doubted his love for his sister; it was for also this reason that he tolerated him as her boyfriend.


Unfortunately overnight their daily ordinary student life was shaken by an accident ... While Donghae, his sister and his uncle and aunt were returning from vacation they had a car accident. He didn’t remember what had happened, post-traumatic shock as doctors called it, but he came out with some fractures, while Min Ha and his family injuries were much more serious and they succumbed to it. He was the only survivor. It was a shock for everyone. And now, two years after, the death of his sister still affected everyone around him. Eunhyuk never really recovered from it and he blamed Donghae to have been the one who had survived... it was not the only one to do so. Since the accident, he had been careful to avoid Donghae, but recently they had been assigned to the same room in the dormitory. They tried to change rooms but all those in the dormitory were full, there was no room to spare. They had only a year to do left, but Donghae felt this year would be the longest of his life.


The boy went to put up his pajamas. If Eunhyuk refused to sleep in the same room with him, so it was his problem. The boy went to bed and tried to find solace in sleep.


***


It was always the same thing ... He found himself in the water, all was calm and quiet. At first he felt safe, floating as if weightless didn’t exist. But the water suddenly became oppressive and soon he began to run out of air. That's when he heard MinHa’s voice.


"Swim... swim..."


It was an almost inaudible whisper. She was telling him to swim, but he couldn’t do it. He was too weak and s refused to move. And even if he managed to swim, to go where? Everything was pure darkness around him, he choked, water filling his lungs instead of air.


"DONGHAE SWIM! "A scream.


The cadaverous face of his sister appeared before him. A grimace remained suspended as a smile that had never been done. Floating like him, be lulled lifeless. He stared at her with more attention and this body wasn’t his sister... No, this face was turning slowly as he approached, this face was none other than his own. He awoke with a start. Donghae was sweating and trying to fill his lungs with air. Gradually he managed to calm down and his breathing returned to normal rhythm. Since the accident he had these dreams almost every night, except for a few weeks they were more violent. This was perhaps due to the approach of the anniversary of MinHa’s death... Every year the event stressed him out because he couldn’t visit the graves with his family, he had to go alone. He had to face alone, the fact of being the sole survivor.


***


The next day he was awakened by a noise at the window, half-awake he opened the curtains. His room was on the first floor so he looked down to find a boy with reddish brown hair that was throwing pebbles at his window.


"Kyuhyun! What are you doing? "


"If you don’t want to be late for math, hyung, I suggest you get dressed at the speed of light."


Donghae glanced at his watch. 9 p.m. he was late! He hurried and a few minutes later he was down with his friend towards his first class of the day.


Kyuhyun was a year younger than him, but because he was a kind of genius, he had skipped a grade and therefore was in the same class as Donghae. He was his only friend and sometimes Donghae even wondered if he was really a friend ... because Kyuhyun had a rather special character, you never knew if he really liked someone or not and if he was nice or not. He had everything to be part of the popular guys; he was intelligent, came from a wealthy family and was definitely handsome. But for some unfathomable reason he had chosen the company of an outcast as Donghae.


They hurried and arrived just in time for their classes. When they sat down and the teacher would begin the course, Eunhyuk walked through the door, with his bag thrown casually on the back, his uniform tie defeat and his shirt crumpled. One thing that Donghae could never contradict his sister was to find Eunhyuk handsome, because he really was. The teacher barred his way.


"You're late Mr Lee. "


"Sue me."


The teacher looked at him dissatisfied with the tone of the young man and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter