2

Strong Willed

As per usual routine, Minzy dropped off Zelo before she went to school. She pulled up to see Hyuna and Fei chatting away as usual as she nodded to them before walking into the school. Her tight leather pants that showed her amazing figure was accented with a red sheer top to allow the boys a little peek at her toned flat stomach. Walking through the halls she paused to see a girl wearing a pretty cute dress and had a nice pair of legs to go with it. She was in a good mood so far and thought that maybe she should give that girl a complement for trying to fit into Minzy’s category.

“Hey,” Minzy spoke up to the girl who was browsing through her locker for something. “Hey,” she rolled her eyes for having to speak up to this girl. Maybe she was deaf.

“Huh,” the girl bumped her head on the locker as she tried to see who was talking to her.

Fei and Hyuna laughed until they saw that it was none other than Bom. Minzy’s stomach tightened when she was surprised to see who it was. “No way,” Hyuna breathed before she was nudged by Fei to shut it. “Who are you looking good for today,” Hyuna asked the question that was on Minzy’s mind. She was curious as to why this girl had decided now of all times to dress like this. Yes she may have worn a cute dress, but she did nothing about her gigantic glasses and plain face still dubbing her as a nerd.

“Bom? Bom is that you,” Seunghyun walked up to the group and pulled her away from her locker to give her a quick spin. “Wow you look good,” he nodded as Bom chuckled and blushed from her little twirl.

“Did you hear that,” Fei leaned in and whispered into Minzy’s ear stating the obvious.

“Wow you took my advice. See, I told you, you look good in blue,” he grinned at her still holding her hand.

Minzy shook her head not liking what was happening in front of her at all. “Well…you know,” Bom shrugged as she tried her best to contain her blushing.

Right on cue someone was passing with their breakfast tray in hand. Minzy stepped forward and took the tray and squished it right onto Bom’s beautiful blue dress, rubbing it in for the dramatic affect. People around them gasped as she turned to hand the tray back to the person. Fei and Hyuna were laughing as Minzy stepped face to face with Bom and flicked a piece of food off her now ruined dress. “You have something on your dress,” she nodded down and watched as Bom covered her face and ran away.

“Minzy,” Seunghyun barked as Minzy watched Bom disappear down the hall. He caught hold of her wrist and turned her to face him, “What the hell are you doing?! That was so rude!”

She rolled her eyes as she pushed him away from her, “If you don’t know what I’m doing then you’re obviously too dumb for me.”

He bit his lip and shook his head at her before he ran off to follow Bom. Even though it somewhat hurtful that he ran after that nerd, she held her ground and walked to her first class. She took her regular seat in the back with the girls and waited for the teacher to come in, as the class was gossiping about what had happened out in the hall way. “Shut up,” Minzy growled feeling annoyed that her business was always being talked about.

The class went quiet as they then started to pass notes as if that was any better. She shook her head as Hyuna and Fei tried to comfort her, which didn’t help one bit as she sat staring at the door hoping for the instructor to come in and silence all this nonsense. But she sat in shock as she saw Seunghyun walk up to the door with Bom who had her head down. She sat quietly and watched the two talk, the next thing she saw was him placing his sweater over her shoulders. She didn’t make any drastic facial expressions, since everyone including Hyuna and Fei were staring at her for a reaction. The class was dead silent as Bom walked in with her head down as she took her seat. Minzy’s eyes soon looked at the doorway to see Seunghyun staring at Bom with some kind of sympathy and something else. She glared at him when he looked her way, before she looked forward letting him feel of her anger.

 

Before class could officially end Minzy got up and began to head out as she pushed Bom’s things to the ground. Ignoring her teacher that was shoutingafter her, she made her way towards her locker. She didn’t care that it was childish of her to do so, but she had to show that that she wasn’t going to just sit around and do nothing about Bom stealing her man away. Reaching into her locker for her books, she looked to a photo of her and her brother Zelo smiling. She sighed feeling grateful that she decided to put that picture in her locker. The gratitude faded quickly when she closed her locker to see Seunghyun leaning up against the locker next to hers. She rolled her eyes as she flicked her hair and turned to head to her next class to be stopped by Seunghyun’s grasp.

“Minzy let’s talk,” he begged as she stood silently. Letting him guide her outside, he led her to a nice grassy spot. He took a seat and patted the grass next to him, “Have a seat.” She shook her head knowing that she couldn’t let him off too easily. “Okay I guess that works too…”

“What do you wanna talk about,” Minzy went straight to the point.

“Babe are you mad at me,” he asked as he looked up at her.

She coughed a laugh as she folded her arms over her chest, “What do you think?”

He nodded in understanding, “I know that was a dumb question to ask.”

“You think,” she mumbled as she wanted this conversation over and done with. It grew awkwardly silent between the two as she waited for him to say something, yet there was nothing. “Seunghyun what’s going on between you and that…thing?”

He sighed as he looked up to her, “Minzy that thing has a name, her name is Bom.”

“Whatever, just answer the question.”

“It’s nothing,” he shrugged it off.

“You sure,” she challenged him. He gave a look of disbelief as she stood her ground and awaited his answer. Sighing, he stood up and took her by the waist pulling her to him and kissing her. As he pulled away she stood with the same look on her face, “So what?”

“There’s nothing going on between me and Bom,” he reassured her.

She eyed him suspiciously as her gut told her that he was lying, “You promise?”

He chuckled as he embraced her tightly, “I promise.” Even if her gut instinct still told her otherwise, she hugged him back and took his word.

 

As if her day at school wasn’t eventful enough, she came home to her father beating the out of her mom. Moving past the sea of empty alcohol bottles, she placed herself in between the fight. Turning back to see her brother standing with fear in his eyes, she gave him a warm encouraging smile. “Zelo go upstairs and lock your door." Zelo nodded as he ran up the stairs to do what he was told.

“Get the off of her,” Minzy turned her attention back onto her parents. Attempting to pry her father's hands off of her mother's neck, it was no use with how tight his grip was. Taking the nearest item, she gripped the vase in hand and smashed it over his head. Knocking her father unconscious, he lay passed out with her mother crying as she held herself.

“Minzy, Minzy let us run away from this,” her mom cried as she rolled her eyes and helped her mom up to the bathroom where she cleaned her up the best she could.

“Mom you can’t let dad beat you like that,” she sighed as tucked her mom into bed.

“Well what…what do you expect me to do,” she sniffled. Staring down at her mother, she recalled the day she gave up hope on her mother. Zelo had come into the picture and he lay fussing in her arms as her mother lay beaten to a pulp. She had tried to get her mother up to run away as promised, but her mother mumbled a soft no. Refusing to leave their father's side because in her mind he still loved them. If that was love, she didn't want it. Trying to pull her mother along, her mother only brushed her aside to go and take care of their father who lay passed out in the living room. 

“Fight back,” she simply said before walking out to see her father still passed out. She kicked his leg as he mumbled and tossed to his side. Taking the broom in hand, she found herself doing what she was told to do years ago. Cleaning up the mess. Sweeping up the shattered vase, she took all the alcohol and dumped it in a big trash bag and took it out to the big dumpster down the street. After taking the trash she started to prepare something for her and Zelo to eat. It was normal to hear her drunken father passed out and mumbling as her beaten mother was sobbing in her bedroom.

“Look what I made, grilled cheese sandwiches,” Minzy sang as she unlocked the room and let herself in before locking the door again.

“Thanks,” he happily accepted as she took a seat next to him.

“Now what kind of homework do we have today,” she asked as she bit into her sandwich.

He shrugged his shoulders as he laid out the papers in front of her, “I did most of my homework already.”

“You did?! Let me see,” she gave him a teasing pout as she went over his completed homework. “Oh my goodness, it looks like you’re going to have to do my homework you lil Einstein.”

He chuckled as he shook his head, “No way.” She laughed as she gave him a big bear hug.

 

 

Minzy drove up to the school to see that Hyuna and Fei stood quietly as if they had been awaiting her arrival for a while. She glanced at the time and saw that it was the usual time she always came to school and shrugged it off as she walked up to them. “Hey Minzy,” Hyuna nervously said as she stood next to her.

Minzy eyed her suspiciously as she then looked to Fei who looked just as nervous, “What the hell is up with you two today?” They both shook their heads at her, making her sigh as she walked into the school. Today felt a little different as she walked in with her black mini dress and red stilettoes, she figured that maybe it was the fact that she looked stunningly amazing as the students whispered and moved out of her way. As she made her way through the hallway she was stopped by someone who wore the exact same outfit as her. “,” she breathed seeing as it was always once in a blue moon that someone would do this to her.

“Oh sorry,” the person apologized as they stepped out of her way and of course it had to be Bom.

“What the hell are you wearing,” Minzy nearly shouted, annoyed that this girl was becoming a bigger headache every day. Bom bit her lip as she looked up to meet the glaring eyes of Minzy, “Answer me!”

“I’m wearing clothes you rude ,” Bom finally spoke up.

Everyone gasped at Bom’s sudden boldness as Minzy tried to grasp what she had just heard, “What did you just say to her?” Hyuna stepped up as she glared at Bom.

“You three are so annoying! I can’t stand it anymore. Leave me alone,” she glared at Hyuna who stumbled back.

Minzy stood impressed that this girl finally had the guts to step up to them, when no one else would, “Well aren’t we brave all the sudden.”

“Minzy you’re such a spoiled brat, you wouldn’t even know how it feels to be picked on,” Bom spat.

Minzy coughed a laugh at the girl who jumped to conclusions about her. Stepping to where she was now only a breath a way from the now brave wannabe and gave her a hard glare. Staring with such intensity, she could tell the brave facade was starting to crack and regret was starting to take place. But Minzy wasn’t going to let her off the hook that easily, “ you don’t even know me and even if you did you wouldn’t last a day in my shoes.” It was a warning along with cool advice, that Minzy curtly said as she turned to flip her hair and head for her first class.

“Good save,” Hyuna breathed as she took her regular seat.

Meanwhile Minzy focused her attention on thinking about what to make Zelo for dinner tonight. Shifting her focus on her brother always helped to lighten her mood. “Hyuna you almost let that school you,” Minzy shook her head as she started to peel at her now chipping nail polish.

Fei went quiet as Hyuna became tongue tied on what to say. “Here she comes,” Fei finally spoke up to change the subject.

Minzy shrugged her shoulders as she carelessly looked up to see Bom enter with her head down. Exactly how things should be, Minzy thought as she continued to peel away at the nail polish when Fei tapped her desk to get her attention. Looking up at Fei, she followed her gaze to see Seunghyun standing at the door way with an expectant look of frustration. “What,” she mouthed as she watched him wave for her to come out. She rolled her eyes as she walked out to him, “What?”

“What did you do to Bom,” he asked as he pulled at her arm to talk a ways from the classroom.

Minzy pulled her hand away as she sighed. Why was it that the past few days that Bom girl had become all they ever talk about anymore, she shook her head in frustration “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Minzy don’t play with me, what did you do,” he said in a scolding tone.

She stood there staring at him and that’s when she knew, she was losing him to that girl. “Do you like her?”

“I…” he paused as he reached up to scratch his head, but she took hold of his wrist to stop him.

“Seunghyun answer me, do you ing like that nerd?!”

“Don’t call her that! It’s people like you that she can’t seem to be herself.”

She pointed to herself as she coughed a laugh. “People like me?! Must I remind you that it’s people like us," she eyed him. "I’m your girlfriend hello!”

“Minzy can you just leave her alone,” he groaned as he used his other hand to scratch his head.

“Why would I? So you can have us both,” she snapped.

He sighed as he shook his head, “It’s not like that.”

“Then prove it,” she glared at him.

“Fine,” he spat as he roughly took her in his arms and kissed her hard.

It didn’t feel right one bit. It seemed cold and indifferent as he attempted to show her some kind of emotion in their kiss. Disgusted in his pathetic attempt, she pushed him away feeling sick to her stomach that just over a few days he had become a complete mess, “Get away from me you !” She turned to head back to her class as she heard him call after her.

“I see you think it’s okay for you to come into class whenever you feel like it,” her teacher sarcastically said as he stopped his lecture to scold her while she walked in.

Minzy ignored every word as she walked over and stood in front of Bom’s desk. All she could hear was her heart pounding as she glared down at the girl who sat there. What she didn’t expect to see was Bom meeting her with a smirk on her face. That’s all it took for her to swing and punch her right in the nose knocking her flat on her back. She pushed the desk out of the way as she picked Bom up by the hair and began to punch her repeatedly in the face.

“Minzy stop,” her teacher shouted as he tried to clear the crowd that instantly formed around them.

“Get her Minzy, get her,” Fei shouted.

Before Minzy knew it, she was pulled away with strong arms. She continued to reach out for her, while she was moved away, “You messed with the wrong !”

“Minzy stop,” Seunghyun tried to shout as the teacher took hold of her so that he could run to check up on Bom. While the teacher held her tightly in his grasp, she watched Bom who sat crying as she held her now bloodied nose. Meanwhile Seunghyun raced over and pulled her in an embrace, “It’s okay Bom I’m here.”

Minzy bit her lower lip as she shouted at Seunghyun, “ you Seunghyun! I hate you!”

“Minzy you just ed up her face,” Seunghyun glared at her as he scooped Bom up in his arms.

“Yeah, well I should’ve ed up your face,” she screamed before she was escorted to the front office.

 

Minzy sat in the front office as she stared at her bloodied right hand, “Minzy are you crazy? Why did you do that?” She didn’t say anything as she became worried that her acting out would probably keep her from picking up Zelo. Her instructor sighed as he handed her a hand wipe, “Clean it up.”

Minzy began to wipe at her hand and looked up to see Bom and Seunghyun passing by the office. Gripping the wipe onto her hand she glared at Bom who glared right back. The two shared hate filled glances before Bom was nudged by Seunghyun to look away. She coughed a laugh finding it a little too funny that that had got what she wanted.

“Where is she,” her father came bursting into the office making her clench her fists tight.

“Oh Mr. Gong, thank you for coming,” the office aide said as she motioned for him to follow him into the principal’s office.

“,” she breathed knowing that tonight was going to be a long one. She made a mental note to scold her mom for putting her father’s work number on the call list.

 

“I’m going to take my car,” Minzy walked out of the school.

“No you’re coming with me,” her father growled as he took hold of her arm.

“I need to pick up Zelo,” she gritted her teeth as she tugged at her wrist to free it.

He shook his head as he dragged her to his car and threw her inside, “Get your in and stay there.” Minzy decided not to fight him for Zelo’s sake. She quietly sat in place as he drove off. “You must think you’re a real hard don’t you?” She didn’t say anything as he continued to insult her the whole way home.

 

“Minzy what are you doing home so early,” her mother gasped as she watched Minzy stumble in from being pushed in by her father.

“She thinks she can just pick fights whenever the hell she wants to. This is all your fault,” her father shouted at her mother.

“I…”

“Shut up and get me a ing drink. You women are worthless,” he cut her off as he kicked his boots off and made his way to the living room. “You’re lucky I’m in a good mood. Thanks to your little stunt I was able to get off of work early,” he called at Minzy who stood still by the front door.

Minzy watched her mom come by with a beer in hand. She gave her a look as if to tell her no, but her mom only shrugged not knowing what to do before walking over to give him what he wanted.  She sighed as she heard her dad throw his regular insults at her mom while demanding another drink. Turning away from her mom’s helpless gaze, Minzy shook her head not feeling any kind of sympathy. It was a hard pill she had to learn how to swallow, as she watched her mother go about doing her father's bidding.

 

In no time her father was too drunk to do or say anything as he passed out. Slipping out of the house, she made her way back to her school. It didn’t matter how much her heels were killing her, she had to go back to the school to get her car and pick up Zelo. By the time she made it to school it was lunch time. Inwardly groaning at her impecable timing of gossip hour, she ignored the various whispers and looks thrown her way. Heading towards her locker, she quickly grabbed her homework and purse. Figuring her best friends were probably off doing some kind of boring like gossiping about the hottest celebrities, she thought it best to not to seek them out. Telling herself she should take her things and go, she did just that as she walked down the halls towards her car. Turning down the hall, she hissed seeing Seunghyun walking along side Bom. The pair seemed unaware of their surroundings as they walked in high spirits in each other's company. Slowing her pace, she hoped it would help to slow her rising anger. She had come to get her belongings and leave. She didn't need to be caught in school again after being sent home. Hoping the two would hurry the hell up, she watched as Bom so happened to drop her things. 

“Oops,” she shly said as she stooped down to pick up her things.

He chuckled as he bent down and helped her, “No worries.”

Minzy stopped in her tracks and watched with a glare. Bom had stopped picking up her papers, letting Seunghyun do most of it as she knelt staring at him. The nerd soon began to lean in his direction and before she knew it Seunghyun was meeting her gaze. Minzy found herself stuck as she watched the pair suddenly lean forward as their lips touched. Bom was kissing Seunghyun, but it was Seunghyun who sat kissing the nerd back that had Minzy fuming.

“Promises my ,” she shook her head in disgust.

“Minzy what are you doing here,” Hyuna’s voice echoed from behind her.

Seunghyun and Bom pulled away and looked up to see Minzy staring right at them. “Hey girl,” Fei slung her arm onto Minzy’s shoulder.

Minzy pushed Fei’s arm off as she pivoted and turned to leave. Tears of embarrassment began to blur her vision as she quickly made her way to her car. She hated the fact that Bom seemed to look at her so innocently. She now understood now more than ever that her instincts were right all along.

 

Minzy didn't know how she had made it to her car and got it started, but it was moving. Moving along with her racing thoughts as she reversed her car out. Shifting gears to drive, Seunghyun threw himself in front of her car.As she put the gear into drive, “Wait Minzy! Let’s talk!”

“Get out of the ing way,” she shouted out her window as she revved her engine.

“I’m sorry…” he shrugged unsure of what to say. 

Minzy didn’t want to hear his fake apology as she reversed the car and flipped it to go out the other way. She sped through the streets as she found herself driving out to a small park. Staring at the swing set she thought back to the first time she met Seunghyun. He was a heavy kid and loved sweets. They had attended the same elementry school and he had come to console her with candies. Laughing at the thought of how full his cheeks used to be, she took a piece and they had become the best of friends ever since. Letting the tears fall, she imagined the sweet chubby Seunghyun offering those same sweet pieces of confection to help console her troubled heart at the moment.

 

“Hey Minzy,” Zelo smiled brightly as he jumped in.

“Hey,” she gave him a half grin as she drove away.

The two drove in silence until Zelo spoke up, “Minzy?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you okay,” he asked always being able to read right through her.

She nodded even though it wasn’t true, “Of course, why would you ask that?”

He shrugged his shoulders as he bent over and placed a kiss onto her cheek, “It’s okay Minzy you can always depend on me.”

Minzy bit her lip as they pulled up to their home and turned off the car, “Thanks Zelo.”

“No problem,” he grinned as he made his way out of the car and into the house.

She waited until he was inside to finally break down and cry. Whether Zelo knew it or not, those words sank deep into her heart. He really was the only one who she could depend on, in times like these. Taking a moment to compose herself, she took a deep breath before making her way into the house.

There was a loud scream making Minzy run into the living room to see that Zelo was getting beaten with a belt as he tried to protect his mom. Minzy quickly yanked the belt back, making her dad stumble a bit enough for Zelo to help him mom to her room. “Where the did you go,” her dad shouted as he pushed her away and began to swing the belt at her. Minzy dodged as many lashes as she could as she grabbed the couch cusion to shield her face. She bull rushed him and drove her shoulder into his gut making him fall flat on his back. Groaning, he lost control of the belt. Rushing to take hold of it, Minzy turned the belt back on him. “Ouch…” her dad groaned as tried to reach for the belt to get his hand wacked away. 

She quickly jumped out of his reach and continued swinging the belt at him, “How do you like having the belt swinging at you?!” Her anger had her adrenaline pumping as she wacked him with the metal part of the belt right over his head, knocking him hard enough to pass out. But she continued to hit him with the belt letting her anger of the day release on him.

“Minzy,” her brother caught hold of her hand to stop her from giving him another wip. Zelo looked her in the eyes and shook his head as he slowly pulled the belt out of her hands and held her in his arms.

She exhaled deeply as she released the belt and hugged him back. Taking his hand in hers, she led him to the kitchen where she examined him. “Come here,” she said as she patted the counter top for him to jump up. He willingly did so as she the kitchen faucet to make the water run cold. Looking back, she got a better look at him and frowned. Her poor brother had welts and red marks all over his arms with a few cuts on his arms and face. “Sorry Zelo,” Minzy said as she lightly cleaned his cuts with a cool wet cloth.

“What are you sorry for?”

“It’s my fault that dad is home early,” she confessed. 

“What happened?” Minzy revealed all that went down at school and watched as Zelo’s face showed of disappointment.

“What, don’t look at me like that,” she chuckled as he pouted at her.

“Minzy you need to be careful. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I’m sorry Zelo. I won’t get into any more fights, unless I really have to.”

“You promise,” he asked as he held out his pinkie.

She chuckled as she hooked her pinkie onto his, “I promise.”

 

Author's notes:

thanks for reading, commenting and subscribing! <3