24.

Strong Willed

Minzy awoke to Zelo ramming into her, groaning at the sudden impact she sat up and rubbed her arm to see her brother still fast asleep. Hissing at his restless sleeping habits, she could have sworn it wasn't like this when she slept next to him when he was unconscious. Pushing that thought aside, she stumbled over to the old floral print couch and plopped onto it. Curling up into a ball, it was a little uncomfortable but at least she wouldn't be hit in the face. Closing her eyes she did her best to adjust to the couch. Sitting up after not being able to fall back asleep, she leaned her head onto the hard arm rest as she stared off into the dark. It was the light from her phone that had her eyes shifting towards the coffee table. Mindlessly taking the phone in her hand, she frowned as she saw a text from Seunghyun with the time being almost four in the morning. She figured she had two choices right now, be logical and put the phone down to get some rest for the day or looking through all her texts and voicemail. Watching her phone light up again, it showed that Seunghyun had text her over thirty times. It was a bit overwhelming and in her point of view a little dramatic to get so many texts when she had only been missing in action for a few days. Tossing her phone onto the coffee table, she attempted to try and sleep again. 

"Minzy," Zelo called waking her up. "Minzy it's your turn to use the restroom and get ready," he whispered as he poked at her cheek. 

She could have sworn she had just fallen back asleep, "Fine." Forcing herself up off the couch, she lazily made her way to the bathroom to start her day. 

 

Kicking off her shoes, Minzy rushed over towards the bed and face planted in the sheets. Heavenly was one of the words that came to mind as she snuggled up against one of the pillows. She felt exhausted from her first real day. Grandma had put her to work and given her a list of things that needed to be taken care of at certain times, all the while becoming the new face for the cafe. Though Minzy refused to be Grandma's replacement as the face of the cafe, she was given great encouragement by being the cashier and dealing with almost all the customers that walked in. Reaching for her face, she never knew her face could feel so sore from smiling all day. Thinking over her day, she let out a sigh of relief that Zelo would not be back at the studio for a few hours. He was currently learning the basic cooking skills, something she was grateful to learn another day. 

A knock came at the door, as Minzy lay trying to unwind. She hoped that if she lay completely still maybe, just maybe that the person would go away. "Minzy I know you're in there. Grandma and Zelo told me you were," Teddy called through the door as he continued to knock. Driving her fists into the bed, she mumbled a few curse words as she went to open the door. "There you are," Teddy smiled brightly at her to have a forced smile in return. "May I," he nodded as she stood in the doorway. 

"Sure," she forced herself to say as she stepped aside. She noticed the papers in his hand as she followed him over to the kitchen table. Taking a seat across from him, she watched quietly as he began to lay out a few papers. 

"I've come up with a few designs..." 

"This one," Minzy said as she picked the first one in sight.

"I haven't even laid out all the designs," he chuckled as he placed the last few out for her to see. 

She shrugged as she skimmed through the rest and stayed true to her first choice, "I still want this one. The simplicity and realistic of the lay out is what we need." 

He nodded in understanding as he sat staring at the design, "Well I can tell you it's the best bang for your buck and it also allows you more personal space as well as open flow." 

"Sweet that sounds great, what else," she quickly asked. 

"Should we ask Zelo," he suggested.

But she waved it off, "No it's fine. He'll agree to whatever." 

Teddy smiled and nodded, "That's what he told me. He trusts your judgement." 

"Good, let's plan this out. I understand that you said this would take all Summer right? What if we plan out what we need to do and then also give me small projects I can do on my own? This way I'm hoping that we can finish in a timely manner and not waste any time," she said in a matter of fact tone. 

Nodding he grinned, "Getting straight to business, I li.ke that." Teddy and Minzy began to talk out the floor plan and delegating the different sections to different weeks of the Summer. Lucky for them, they were able to work out a plan that would allow her time to be done a week or two before she had to start college. "Wow this looks great," Teddy said as he looked over the calendar Minzy drew up of the schedule. 

"I think neutral or soft colors would work best. Will you come tomorrow with a color wheel? I will gut out the bedroom area tonight so we can get started there as planned," Minzy stated as she began to gather up all the papers. "Thank you for your time," Minzy bowed slightly as she stood to her feet with her hand extended. 

"So formal," Teddy teased as he gladly accepted her hand and shook it. 

She shrugged as she smiled at his firm grip, "It's out of respect. Which..." Minzy paused as a thought crossed her mind. "I know I'm not paying for any of this, but you must let me cook for you when you're over. By the end of the day, I'll have Zelo help you finish the day's activities while I make us all dinner?" 

"Paid and fed dinner for doing my job," he thought for a second before smiling widely. "I will gladly accept this offer, though you can't tell Grandma I'm taking advantage of you. She'd kick my !"

"I won't," she giggled finding it hard to imagine what he was referring to. 

"Does this dinner thing start tonight," he teased. "Also does this mean I'm invited for dinner every night?"

Minzy smiled as she saw the way his face lit up, "I guess it can, but I'd have to run to the store first to grab some food since I haven't had the chance to go shopping yet."

"Would you like me to take you to the store? I mean at least let me go to pay for the groceries since it's so last minute," he offered. "Or even better, I will pay for the food and you can make the dinners?"

"So you basically want me to be your house wife," she teased. 

He coughed a laugh as he put his hands up in defense, "Hey don't make it sound like that. I was hoping that we could help each other out. I get fed and you don't have to pay for my labor fees." 

"Didn't you tell me that Grandma was going to pay for all this," she eyed him suspiciously. 

He nodded with a grin, "Yeah she's going to pay for all of this." Gazing around the studio before waving down to himself his grin faded into a smirk, "But she's not paying for all of this." Minzy laughed causing Teddy to follow along with laughter. "A meal for this great deal," he continued to try and sell himself.

The pair laughed until she finally nodded to agree, "Fine." 

"Yes I am," he continued to put up a horrible act as if he was into himself. 

Rolling her eyes she finally took a deep breath, "Cocky doesn't suit you." 

He nodded and grinned, "You're right it feels a bit awkward." Sighing, he smiled softly over towards her, "Is it alright if I have dinner with you and Zelo when I work on the studio? Home cooked meals are the best." 

"True," Minzy nodded as she saw the sincere joy spread across his face as she agreed to his arrangement. 

 

Minzy and Teddy continued to talk about the picked design as they made their way towards the cafe. Finding Grandma instructing Zelo on the right temperate for a certain type of cake. "Hey Zelo is there anything in particular you want to eat for dinner," Minzy asked as she leaned onto his chair. Shrugging, she knew better that he wouldn't care, but she thought to ask just in case. Turning towards Grandma she gave her a small smile, "Do you need anything from the store?" 

"No dear, thank you for asking," shifting her gaze over to Teddy Grandma smiled. "Did you guys work everything out?" 

"Yes, yes we did Grandma. Minzy has already picked out a floor plan and written out a calendar to keep us on schedule," he grinned. 

"Well, we'll be back then. See you guys later," Minzy waved as she walked out the cafe. Smiling as she spotted Teddy's truck, remembering it from the last time she rode in it. Hopping in the truck, she grinned as she buckled up. "Where to," he breathed as he got in. 

"Let's just head to the nearest market," she nodded for him to drive. 

Nodding Teddy drove off. Gazing around as he drove, Minzy sat staring out the window. Her thoughts began to drift to the music softly playing from his radio. Eye lids heavy from the lack of sleep, her eye lids drooped until they completely closed. Sleep started to over take her, before she felt the truck come to a stop as he parked. Jolting up, she yond as she unstrapped herself. Walking towards the store, Teddy soon fell into step with her, "You must like to over work yourself or love sleep a lot." 

She grinned as she shrugged making her way into the store, "I didn't get much sleep last night. Zelo was hogging the bed." 

"It makes sense why you chose that design. It's a new one, cutting an open space room into half like a bunk bed as if it's a separate room but not," Teddy nodded in understanding. 

Minzy nodded as she thought about it, "Yeah, he's a growning boy. Almost a man, can't have him sharing a room with his sister." 

"Simple, realistic, and also understanding," Teddy noted out loud. 

"What are you going on about," she asked as she walked through the aisles to get inspiration. 

He shrugged as he followed a few steps behind, "Usually people are drawn to certain designs that fit their personalities."

"So you're saying I'm simple," she scoffed as she reached for some packages of noodles. 

"Simple as in you prefer things to be straight forward. Meaning that possibly you try to keep what you say and do out in the open. You're a honest person and would like that in return," he clarified.

She hummed intrigued by his analysis, "Interesting assumption." 

"Your honesty is what draws people to you," he grinned a boyish grin. 

Minzy smiled at his kind words, wanting to thank him for his compliment, she was interupted by the ringing of her cell phone. Reaching into her bag, she looked to see it was a text from Seunghyun. Ignoring it, she tucked it back into her bag as she continued to look for more options to eat. "Honesty sometimes isn't appreciated," she countered. Walking up towards the shelf, she tip toed to reach for a certain seasoning. Fully extending her arm, she tried to reach for it and failed. Frowning as she attempted again to have Teddy reach for it. 

Turning to look down at her he smiled, "It's only not appreciated when the person isn't ready to hear it." 

Staring up at Teddy, his rugged look at her feeling curious. Was he up for some honesty now? Because honestly she wanted to press her lips to his to feel his scruff against her face. Seunghyun and most of the guys she had kissed never had the capacity to grow any facial hair. Not to mention the way he smelt like fresh soap. It smelt just like a real man should, or at least that was her thought as she continued to stare back at him. "I..." she was cut off by her phone ringing yet again. Sighing out of frustration, she moved to pull out her phone. Answering the phone, she placed it against her ear to hear complete panic.

"Minzy where the have you been?! I've been trying to call and text you but you haven't been answering," Seunghyun growled. Minzy stood quietly as she allowed him to ramble on, "Minzy?! Minzy are you ing listening?! Hello...hello?" 

"Seunghyun just because you call or text doesn't mean I have to ing answer," she said bluntly. "We're not together so ing get over it! If you're calling just to scold me then I'm going to hang up. I'm busy right now." 

The line went quiet as she heard him let out a deep sigh of frustration, "I'm sorry. I was just worried." 

"I can promise you that I'm fine. Don't worry about me," she rolled her eyes as she wandered down the aisle. "Enjoy your Summer Seunghyun..." 

"Wait can we meet up and talk? I want to talk things out with you," he pleaded through the phone. 

"I don't want to talk..." 

"I ended everything with Bom. We are nothing," he revealed.

As good as it sounded, it wasn't good enough. Maybe if he had said that a few months ago it would have made a difference, "Umm...good for you?" She no longer wanted to talk with Seunghyun as she looked over to Teddy and shrugged. 

"Good for you? Isn't that good for us," Seunghyun asked disappointed that she didn't sound as excited as he imagined she would. 

"Seunghyun..." 

Minzy was startled as her phone was taken from her grasp. Standing in shock as Teddy put the phone to his ear and coughed in the phone, "Hey man, we're currently trying to shop for some dinner. Maybe you can try and call some other time?" Speechless as Teddy went quiet and listened, he shook his head and frowned. "Actually man I don't really care about your business with her, but like she said we're kind of busy. She'll call you later." Hanging the phone up, he grinned as he held the phone out to her, "Let's shop for tomorrow's dinner too?" 

"Sure," she accepted her phone and placed it into her bag. 

It was now her turn to follow, watching as Teddy walked down the aisle before stopping to look at some items. "Why do you even waste your time," Teddy asked as he continued to look at shelves. 

"Uhh..." she stood next to Teddy before looking at the shelves he was looking at. "Seunghyun?" 

"Yeah," he nodded as he gazed over at her. "For a young woman who wants things simple and realistic, you seem to have some misunderstanding to who you are when it comes to that guy." 

She shrugged as she pulled a bottle of seasoning off the shelf, "Well it used to be simple and realistic."

"It still can be, you just got to be up front with him," he advised. 

"And how can I be up front with him when I'm so confused," she confessed. "There's no doubt that I love that guy. I just can't define what type of love that is," she said hoping that it made sense. 

"Love is such a strange concept," he grinned in understanding. "Maybe you should meet up with him and figure things out." 

The though in itself was a bit overwhelming, "Maybe I might. For now let's finish shopping."

 

Minzy couldn't remember the last time she had laughed so much in the company of her brother and Teddy. They had cracked jokes left and right with Minzy being their audience to laugh at all of them. Wiping her eyes from all the laughter, she shook her head and made her way to the sink. Turning on the faucet, she began to wash the dishes. Allowing Teddy to place all the used dishes into the sink as Zelo cleaned the table. The clean up was quick as Minzy washed the dishes. "Zelo take your stuff out of the bedroom area."

"Okay," he replied.

"Would you like my help," Teddy asked.

But Minzy was quick to stop him, "No it's fine." She didn't want Teddy to help in that area in case he happened to find any of her under garments. She didn't think she left any out, but she wanted to play it safe.

"Well I guess I'll just stay here," he held his hands up and walked over to the sink. Leaning upon the counter, he watched her wash the dishes feeling a bit useless. "Thanks for dinner."

"Thanks for buying it," she smiled over to him.

"Thanks for cooking it for me house wife," he teased making them both laugh. 

Shaking her head, she turned and flicked water over at him. This made him move to splash water back at her. Gasping at the big wet spot on her shirt, she scooped water in her palm and threw it at him. Their playful water fight had them moving around to block and fling more water at each other with more laughter to follow. "You guys are making a mess," Zelo frowned as he walked over to see water all over the kitchen. Both of them quickly pointed fingers at each other followed by loud laughter. "Children," Zelo shook his head as he turned to move back to the bedroom area. 

His comment made them chuckle as Minzy grabbed some paper towels and began to wipe up the mess. Teddy also helped by cleaning up as much of the water he could. "Dark tile would probably be best in the kitchen area or maybe dark stained wood?"

"Oh that would be nice," Minzy smiled being able to imagine how much easier the clean up would be. "Maybe we can get some samples of that tomorrow as well." 

 

The first few weeks took some time for Minzy to adjust to such a hectic schedule. She was always up before the sun, being assigned to open up shop in the cafe while Zelo was in charge of closing up. It worked perfectly for the two to be able to have time to themselves to get ready for work but also being able to utilize the time set aside by Teddy to work on the studio. Minzy would get off first to help Teddy on whatever planned project was being worked on to have Zelo help finish up while she made dinner for the three of them. After clean up, Zelo and Minzy would share a few comments on their day as they prepared for bed. It was sadly the only time they had to themselves. 

 

After a hard day at work, Minzy smiled as she looked to Teddy who stood at her sink. Shaking her head, she couldn't help to think how talented he was. In the short time with him, she had already learned so much about his trade. Not only that, but that he was so handy and such a visionary man. Pointing over to the bathroom, he held a big smile as he tried to convince her of having a more futuristic studio, “We could have an automatic toilet that sprays your bum instead of using all that toilet paper…”

“So we’d walk around with wet asses,” Minzy laughed at the thought of it. “You need to work on your pitch. As a business man you should be able to sell your vision. How about we just stick to the regular good ol’ hand flushed toilet?”

Frowning at her limited thinking he shook his head, “You have to think of the future…”

“I’m thinking about simple and realistic expectations. I know for a fact that I’ll have issues with your futuristic toilet. But I don’t mind having a sensor sink,” she shrugged.

“Fine,” he sighed knowing this was her way of bargaining.

“Hey can we finish this tomorrow? I need to go to the bank and take care of some school stuff,” Minzy asked as she looked at the time.

“Yeah for sure, I’m just going to finish pulling this apart and then I’ll head out,” he said as he continued to work on kitchen appliances.

“Alright I’ll catch you later,” she bid him farewell as she took off.

 

Minzy made her weekly deposit to the bank and frowned as she saw the balance. She had earned a fourth of her tuition and it was mid-summer. Jumping onto the train, she wondered just how she was going to find the time or money to pay for school. She knew she hadn't spent much of anything from her checks, but somehow they still weren't enough. Feeling a big migraine come on, she took a deep breath and stared out the window. Stressing out wasn’t going to make this situation better. She was going to figure out a way with one of the college advisors. Arriving at the college, she grinned as she made her way in. She followed the map to a building that she assumed where her appointment would be. After signing the roster, she took a seat and grabbed a magazine. Browsing over it, she didn’t notice the young man that had taken the seat next to her.

“I think that dress looks better on the girl on the right,” he chimed in as Minzy sat staring at the two celebrities being compared. Recognizing the voice, she gazed up to see that it was none other than Jiyong. “Hey.”

“Hey how are you,” she smiled.

He shrugged, “Just thought I’d get an early start with school. And you?”

“The same,” was all she offered before looking back at the magazine.

“How has your Summer been? You kind of disappeared out of nowhere. I haven’t seen you at any of the parties so far.”

“Just busy with life and getting ready for school,” she honestly answered.

“Fei and I are working things out,” he continued.

“Good for you two,” she said not really caring.

“Are you okay with that,” Jiyong asked.

Sighing she glanced up at him, “Why does it matter if I’m okay with it or not? Do what you feel is best.”

“Well I just don’t know where we stand…”

“Jiyong do what is best for you. As for me, high school is over and done with.”

“So we’re basically over?”

“Jiyong I lost one of my best friends thanks to you and some other . What do you think? Just make up your ing mind on if you are going to truly be with her or not and stick with it. She’s not a ing toy you can play with whenever the you want!”

“Gong Minzy,” her name was called.

“Sorry I gotta go,” she exhaled as she left him alone.

“Hi Ms. Gong my name is Mr. Lee. Let’s look at your files and we’ll see how I can…”

“I hate to interrupt, but before we go into planning out my schedule I would like to figure out just how much I need exactly to be able to go to school this year. I will be paying for it and need to know the amount.”

Nodding in understanding, he browsed over her account, “According to our records your scholarship is paying for the entire year along with fees and books.”

“What? Mr. Park’s scholarship should be taken off…”

“It says it’s being paid by Grandma’s foundation,” Mr. Lee read.

His words struck her as she gasped in disbelief, “It’s what?”

“Your tuition is paid in full, now let’s go over your schedule…”

 

Minzy didn’t seem to fully listen after that. Yes she was able to get her schedule for the year done, but none of that seemed to matter. Taking the train back, she sat quietly trying to understand what just happened.Making her way into the little café shop, she stood staring at Grandma who was chuckling with a customer. Watching as the old woman made eye contact with her, she waved, “Hi Minzy.”

“Hi,” she breathed as she made her way towards the old woman and gave her a big hug. “Thank you,” she breathed as she held the old woman in her arms.

“What are you going on about,” the old woman laughed as she hugged her back.

“Thank you for paying for my schooling. I promise I’ll work more hours and…”

“Goodness child calm down it wasn’t just me,” Grandma chimed in. “Someone else helped me pay for it.”

“Who,” Minzy asked as she pulled away a bit.

“Zelo,” Grandma called out and he appeared making his way to them. “She found out.”

“She did,” he frowned.

Grandma nodded as she gazed up at Minzy, “Zelo and I came to an agreement that he would give up his wages to pay for your schooling and I would make up the difference. So it was his idea.”

“Thank you both,” she couldn’t believe it. Pulling her brother into a strong embrace, she couldn't help but feel like everything was falling into place.