12.

Strong Willed

Minzy felt her heart drop to the pit of her stomach as she saw the panic and worry in their eyes. "Minzy you need to go to the hospital right now! Zelo went into an emergency surgery and..." She didn't even let Fei finish her sentence. Quickly turning at the word emergency, she took off in a dead sprint. Within seconds she was out of the school parking lot and zooming down the street. Her heart was pounding so loudly she thought it was going to burst right out of her chest. But that was the least of her worries as she prepared herself for the worst. 

Rushing into the hospital, she found her mom crying her eyes out with her father shouting at her. Leave it up to her father to ignore all the nurses as he continued to yell at her. "Where is he," she breathed as she approached her parents.

"That ing retard is unconscious and they don't even know when he'll wake up. Not only that, they're unsure if when he wakes up he will probably be paralyzed. But it's not like I give a ! He's already ed up! And your ing mom had to call me out of work to tell me this!"

Before Minzy knew it, her fist was connecting to his nose causing a loud crack with blood freely flowing from it. "The next time you call my brother a ing retard I'll make sure you're paralyzed," she snapped as nurses tried to pull her back. 

Meanwhile, her father growled as he raised his fist in the air to retaliate. But it was caught midair, "Mr.Gong I don't think it's wise to be hiting your daughter in public with so many witnesses," Seunghyun spoke with warning in his voice.

"Let me go boy! This is none of your business!"

"If you hit her it will become my business," he said seriously. "Now I suggest you head back to work since that seems to be more important to you and leave them alone."

"I need to work to feed them," her father tried to justify his actions.

But Seunghyun frowned as he shook his head, "Nothing can justify you putting hands on her or anyone in your family."

"Boy don't ing tell me how to run my family! Plus who are you to talk when you're no longer with my daughter. If you're so all knowing then why don't you put that thick skull of yours to use and stick to one girl at a time."

Seunghyun was quiet for a moment as he stood there. "Well..."

"Well what boy?!"

Minzy had stopped fighting the nurses as she watched her father and Seunghyun's interaction. She knew she got her wit from her father and watched as she too wanted to hear what Seunghyun had to say to that. But the show was cut short as a doctor came rushing with two security guards. "Okay everyone is going to have to leave except Minzy. She was the only one requested by the patient to stay by his side in case of an emergency."

A nurse lightly pushed at Minzy's back to guide her away from the chaos and into a waiting area. "Please wait here until we can take you to see him."

"Okay thank you," Minzy grinned gratefully.

"In the mean time let's take care of your hand."

She shook her head and continued to grin, "I've survived worse."

"I bet but that doesn't mean you have to do it alone. I'll be right back with some supplies," the nurse squeezed her shoulder before she left. 

Minzy's grin faded as her head dropped into her hands. The nurse didn't understand what kind of life she led. She couldn't depend on anyone but herself. With all that's happened to her and what she's still going through she's amazed at how she's still standing. No one could truly understand, especially since she herself didn't.

 

Minzy opened her eyes as she felt someone shake her, "Minzy! Minzy wake up!"

"Five more minutes," she mumbled in hopes to continue resting.

"Wake your lazy up before we get caught! They already kicked us out earlier. Do you know why," Hyuna asked as Minzy opened her eyes to see both of her best friends.

"It's a long story. What's up? Why are you guys here," she mumbled as she started to wake up.

Fei grinned at Hyuna before glancing back at Minzy, "Let's just say you're no longer suspended and that now the competition for queen is between you and Bom."

"I thought you came with good news." She yond as she rubbed her eyes, "Can you guys do me a real favor and grab me something to eat?"

"Oh and about that. Here," Hyuna handed her a sack filled with her favorite noddles.

"Thank goodness, how did you know I was craving these," she gladly accepted the bag.

"We didn't..."

Hyuna nudged Fei in the gut, "Shut it. I told you she was hungry!"

Minzy looked at the pair suspiciously before glancing down at the bag, "Who bought this food?" They both sat quietly even though Fei looked as if she wanted to say. "Who brought this ing food?'"

"Calm down, does it really matter who brought it," Hyuna glanced around to make sure no nurse had spotted them. 

Minzy sighed as she clenched the bag in her hand, "Fei who brought this food?"

"It was Seunghyun and he's waiting outside," Fei confessed. 

Minzy stood to her feet with fury burning in her eyes, "Are you ing kidding me?!" Storming down the hall she ignored her friends calling after her. With the bag in hand, she made her way out of the hospital. Just like Fei said he was outside on the phone. Approaching him, she over heard him talking to Bom. "Why does it matter anymore who I go with to the dance? How about we meet by the garden fountain by midnight there's something special I want to show you," he grinned as he looked as if he imagined the night of what Minzy assumed to be prom. "Okay, okay you worry too much. I know, I miss you too." He sighed and chuckled, "We'll talk about it over the weekend alright? Bye." Minzy didn't realize that she had listened to his whole conversation before he turned to see her. Surprised by her sudden appearance he stepped back, "Oh...you scared me." She shrugged as she stepped forward and pressed the bag up against him. Not saying a word she turned and made her way back to the hospital. "This was for you," he called after her making her stop in her tracks. She turned and glared at him. She didn't know what to say as he walked up to her and held out the bag to her, "I thought you would be hungry..."

"Why are you doing this to me," she spat in disbelief.

"Doing what?"

"You only bring me these noodles when there's something you want to tell me."

He shrugged as he looked away, "Maybe I just wanted to bring..."

"Just stop your ing lying and tell me what you want," she snapped.

He sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck, "Will you please give Bom a chance? She really is a nice girl..."

" Bom! And why do you need my approval of her. I'm nothing to you..."

"That's not true and you know it!"

"You know what, the only thing I know is that you wanted to go on a break and you found someone new. That's it, that's how our story ended," Minzy said bluntly.

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her close, "Has our story really ended?" His eyes burned into hers as he stared down at her.

But it didn't phase her as she pushed him away, "Seunghyn don't play with me. You and I both know where we stand."

"And where is that?"

Minzy thought about where they truly stood. In her heart she knew where she stood. But when it came to him and their relationship she couldn't describe nor see where it truly was at. "Seunghyun you should be the one answering that question. Now please go. I don't want to fight you right now."

"But..."

"Please just stop and go. I don't need your pity it'll only make things worse between us." Seunghyun was torn but finally turned to leave. Leaving Minzy standing there quietly  watching him as she cried for him to turn back around and come back to her. Crying inside, she bit down on her lower lip and cursed him for always being the first to give in. "I ing hate you," she breathed out loud wishing her heart would believe those words. Minzy quietly made her way into Zelo's room. Taking his hand in hers, it was cold. Grinning down at him she took a seat next to him. "Hey baby boy it's me. I hope you're dreaming well. Dream for a better future for the both of us."

 

Minzy woke up as she realized she was still holding her brother's hand. Grinning as a nurse walked in to do her checks. "Good morning. You know your brother was right."

"What do you mean?"

As the nurse checked his vitals she turned to glance at her, "He kept calling out for you and saying how much he was really worried for you before he went into surgery. And even before that he talked so much about how proud he was of you and how bad he felt for not letting you live a normal life. Something about you being the next prom queen?"

Minzy couldn't help the tears that flooded her eyes as she squeezed her brother's hand, "He really said all that?"

The nurse nodded, "He's very proud to have a sister like you."

Minzy thanked the nurse for her encouraging words before they were left alone again. Brushing the tears away with her free hand. "Zelo you make everything I'm going through worth it." Leaning forward she laid her head on top of his hand and cried.

 

Minzy puckered her lips as she blew a kiss to herself for good luck, "Even through hell you look ing amazing." Making her way out of the bathroom, she grinned as she saw her brother sleeping so peacefully. Glancing at her watch she grew impatient waiting for her mother to come.

"Sorry I'm late," her mother entered with a big pair of black sunglasses.

Minzy looked away knowing exactly what hid behind those big pair of sun glasses. If she wanted to start off on the right foot, ignoring the bruises would have to do for now. "Take care of my brother and if there are any changes in his condition call or text me right away." Not waiting for a reply, she gathered her things and made her way out. "Keep your phone off. I don't want dad calling you," she instructed before leaving.

 

Minzy took a deep breath as she checked her makeup in the mirror, "Two days, in two days I will make you proud Zelo." Composing herself, she put her game face on and made her way into the school. Minzy received a few gasps from fellow peers, surprised to see her at school. Shrugging it off, she paused at one of the fliers on the floor. Picking up the paper, she read it with a grin. "No ing way." It was a flier calling Bom a nerdy with a picture of her dyed green with the curtain wrapped around her. Shaking her head, she crumbled it and tossed it into the garbage can. 

"Good morning you y ! I didn't think you were coming to school," Fei bumped her shoulder into hers.

"You guys are pretty rude to make those fliers," she glanced to Hyuna who flanked her other side.

"Don't look at me or Fei. Someone did it before we could. The fliers aren't even as funny as her locker!" Both girls guided her towards Bom's locker to see that it was spray painted green with rude and hurtful comments like and .

Minzy smiled at the art work before her, "So who was the master mind behind it all?"

"I still think it was you," someone interrupted their conversation.

All three glanced back to see Bom glaring at them, "You actually can think? I was about to wonder since you have to have others always fight your battles." 

Minzy stood with a smirk as she waited for a come back. What could she possibly say to make Minzy cringe? "It's fine because Seunghyun still chose me when I was all green."

" please, you think that still fazes me? Seunghyun and you," she hissed. "But why does that even matter when I know he hasn't asked you to the dance this Saturday." Bom stood speechless giving Minzy the go ahead and smirk at her victoriously. "It's just too bad that he couldn't save your pride right now."

As the trio walked away, Minzy was curious to who really was behind this mess, "So who tried to frame me?"

"It's brilliant really if she was smart enough to get rid of the spray paint cans properly. Remember Sulli," Fei asked.

"Didn't she move schools?"

Hyuna giggled as she popped some gum into , "No silly, she was going to be our fourth until she tried to hit on my boyfriend at the time."

"It wasn't like it was a big deal, since you can't even remember his name," Fei teased as Minzy nodded.

"Whatever, I'm just glad that I was able to have a good laugh. I'll see you girls at lunch," she waved before they parted ways.

 

Minzy was in such a good mood today that she took detailed notes. It wasn't like she was dumb or had no ambitions, but she had a different opinion about education. In her mind education was best learned out in the world than in a book. She was known for her street smarts, not so much on the books.

"Ms. Gong," the teacher called out as the student aid gave him a note. "You're wanted in the counslor's office."

Sighing at the surprise interruption, she only nodded as she gathered her things and made her way to the counslor's office. Taking a seat she glanced at her phone to see if there were any new messages. "Minzy it's been a long time," her counslor smiled brightly.

"Thank you Gummy," she slightly bowed before she followed her into her office.

Minzy's counslor was young and didn't like to be called by her last name. Either way she really didn't care. She just wanted to be out of there. "So I was wondering., what are your plans for college."

Minzy chuckled as she shook her head, "I don't know if I'll have the time to dedicate to studies..."

"Minzy you are a brilliant student. I know you could go far if you wanted to."

She sighed as she thought about it, "I don't know. I really want to move out and get a place for my brother and I."

"But wouldn't you want to be able to choose from a variety of apartments from wherever you want to live? With a college degree you'll be able to go for higher paying jobs that you would probably love doing. Minzy I'm serious, the school year is coming close to an end and I want you to be prepared for the future. So here's some college and scholarship applications," she grinned as she handed the handful of papers in her hand.

"Thank you Gummy for your concern," Minzy accepted the papers and stood to leave.

"Minzy the future is as bright as you make it," her counslor called as she left. 

Glancing at the various papers in her hands, she wondered just how she could make college an option. "Are you planning on going to college," Seunghyun asked as he fell into step with her. Sighing, she ignored him as she tuck the papers into her bag. Pulling out her phone, she looked to see a new message from Jiyong. Opening it she grinned to see a frowny face with a tear drop saying that he missed her. Quickly texting him about being a little busy, she put her phone away from prying eyes. "Jiyong? The guy that was at the bar with you the other night?" Not saying a word, she sped to her locker to switch out her books before the next class started.  "Did you want me to carry those books for you?"

Slammig her locker shut, she eyed him curiously, "What do you want? Aren't you supposed to be in class? And why would I give you my books? You're not obligated to do petty like that any more."

"It was never an obligation but I wanted to do something like that for you," he gave her that boyish crooked smile.

"Can't you see I'm trying to ignore you? Please leave me alone. I don't want to fight, I'm not in the mood."

"Then let's not fight and just talk. What has you in a good mood?" She shrugged as she held her books close to her chest. With her head watching her every step, she wanted nothing but to be left alone. "This quiet you, I don't really like it. I prefer the mean you," he teased as she stayed quiet.

Minzy felt so torn as to how to react. The man of her dreams seemed to think it was okay to break her heart and still be around her. Was it okay if she let him near her? Her self worth and pride were on the line, yet it was pushed to the side as she listened to him ramble on about some pointless thing. Hearing him chuckle made her stomach do flips as he threw his arm around her shoulders. Pausing she looked up in disbelief. Did he really just wrap his arm around her?

"Seunghyun.."

"Hmm," he hummed in response.

"Who are you taking to prom?"

His gaze shifted away as he shrugged, "What's so important about asking someone to the dance? Can't I just go alone?" Nodding her head, she quietly turned to leave. "Don't walk away Minzy! I'm not asking Bom either."

Biting her lower lip, she glared over her shoulder, "I need to Seunhyun! You can't seem to get it through your ing thick skull that you left me for Bom, so don't start having a heart now."

 

Minzy knew it was way overdue as she took a long whiff of her alcohol. Though it wasn't at her favorite bar, she needed to get a drink. Even if it meant traveling across town to where no one knew her. "Is this seat taken," a familiar voice asked.

Minzy grinned as she downed her first drink, "I can't seem to get away."

"Get away from me? I don't think so," Jiyong teased as he ordered a drink. "What are you doing drinking on my side of town without me?"

"I just needed a few drinks to calm my nerves," taking another shot of vodka she sighed. "I think I'm good."

"Wait you're leaving?! Minzy please stay just for a little longer," he said in almost a whinny voice.

"I have to go really. My mom is with my brother in the hospital right now. Maybe I'll take a rain check?"

"Sure, well take care Minzy," he waved trying to be understanding. 

Standing up on her feet she pecked his cheek, "I promise you it's not you." Grabbing her things she left with strength in every step even if she was a bit tipsy.

 

 

Author's Notes:

Guess what next chapter is...PROM NIGHT!!! Yay I'm kinda excited to write it already. haha I'm such a nerd! Thanks for reading and commenting.