34.

Strong Willed

Minzy bid farewell to Grandma as she got into her new car. Driving off, she let out a sigh of relief. Grateful to be out of the Park residence, she drove to the nearest store. Walking in, she gazed around and grinned as she stumbled upon the floral area. Gazing at the different flowers and boquets with balloons and stuffed animals, she felt unsure as to which one to pick out. Taking one last look around, she stopped as she noticed the individual roses. "Perfect," she breathed as she picked out a single white rose and purchased it. Moving towards her car, she recieved a text of the information on her new apartment from lawyer Lee. Reading that the owner wanted to personally show her to her apartment, she only had to send a text or call his personal cell phone. Nodding to herself, she quickly sent a text telling the owner that she would be making a stop before heading to the apartment. The response was just as quick letting her know that she could take her time. Grinning with how pleasant the owner was, she hopped into her car and typed in the information to her next stop.

 Listening to a random station, she did her best not to rely on her GPS. Doing her best to go off of memory, she was surprised to reach her destination with little to no help from her phone. Parking her car, she made her way down the dimly lit path until she found where she had yearned to be. She stopped a little ways and whispered a soft hello to her father. Approaching his grave, she noticed a single white rose laying on top of his head stone. A sense of appreciation to the person who was so thoughtful to remember her father as she laid her rose alongside the one occupying it. Sitting on the grass, she let her fingers trace the metal work of the letters in her father's name, letting the last few days with him flash through her mind. She sat for a few more minutes, reflecting her years away and imagined herself telling everything to her father. Wishful thinking crossed her mind, wondering about what ifs. The silly thought had her shaking her head as she moved to take her leave. Taking one last glance, she walked back to her car in the quiet night. Slipping into the car, she grinned towards the dark grave before typing in the address to her new apartment.

Following the directions, Minzy found herself in front of what looked like a new high end apartment. She sighed feeling it was unnecessary, but it was her fault for not specifying. She was desperate to get out of the Park home that she jumped at this opportunity before really looking into it. Sending a text to the owner of her arrival, she jumped out of her car and began to pull out her luggage. Minzy was quickly greeted and helped by the security guard who gladly assisted her in bringing in her bags to the main lobby. Thanking the security guard, she glanced around to see how modern and brand new everything looked. In the midst of gawking at all the abstract art, she felt her phone buzz. Checking her phone, she received a text from the owner letting her know that the owner was coming. She sent a quick response that it was fine and not to rush. Clicking send, she heard a phone ding followed by foot steps. Figuring it was the owner, she had to ask the owner where in the world someone could find such odd objects. Turning around, her words were caught in as she came face to face with Teddy. 

"You're the owner," Minzy tried to not stutter.

Teddy chuckled awkwardly as he ran his fingers through his hair surprised to see her as well, "Yeah, I am." 

"Do you know each other," the guard asked as he sensed some weird vibes from their interaction. 

"Let me grab those for you," Teddy quickly said.

But Minzy was quicker as she reached for her bags and clutched them tightly, "It's fine. I got them thanks." 

"Oh..." Teddy stepped back. "Well...then I guess I can show you to your apartment." 

"Thank you," Minzy turned to nod to the guard before following Teddy. 

The walk was quiet as they headed towards the elevator. She began to panic as she thought of how awkward it would be to ride next to him on the elevator. "Umm...I think I'd rather take the stairs," Minzy grinned. 

"You want to take stairs up to the top floor," he turned to look at her. "That's twenty flights of stairs." 

"I'm on the top floor," she gasped as she thought about the distance. Watching as the elevator doors opened, she felt like she was going to die of embarassment. "Maybe I'll take the next elevator up. I don't want to squish you in the elevator with all my bags and stuff." 

"Minzy there's plenty of room. Please don't make this more awkward than it already is," he teased. She went red in the face as she watched him step in and hold the door for her, "I promise I don't bite." She felt her cheeks continue to heat up as she rushed into the elevator. Leaning up against the wall for support, she turned to stare out the glass wall that allowed her to see outside. Gratefully the ride up was quick. Following him out, she stopped when he did in front of a door right off of the elevator. "There are only two apartments up here. It's divided in half, the other two doors down the hall are another exit for the stairs you wanted to walk up." 

"Thanks, can I have my keys and passcode," Minzy said trying to brush off his teasing. 

"Sure, if you need anything I'm right across the hall," he smiled as he handed her the keys that had a code attached to it. 

"You live across the hall," she chuckled in disbelief.

"Yeah I guess we're neighbors," he smiled as he winked at her. 

She rolled her eyes as she shook her head, "What are the odds?"

He shrugged as he smiled, "You came highly recommended by Grandma."

"Wait what," she asked.

"Good night Minzy. I hope you don't mind how futuristic the floor plan is," he nodded as he turned to take his leave into his apartment. 

Standing a bit dumbfounded, she stood staring at Teddy's front door. Shaking off the shock, she quickly moved to enter her new apartment. Opening the door she was speechless with how modern and fancy everything looked, not to mention how spacious it was. She felt it was all impratical really to have such a huge apartment for one person. Heading to the bathroom, she grinned noticing it was one of those high end toilets that sprayed water. This made her think back to when she was remodeling the studio with Teddy. Luckily this spray was optional on the toilet. Walking towards the master bedroom, she was in awe with how it was also so spacious and detailed trim down to the very dark stained wood floors. Springing onto the bed, she felt as if she was in heaven with the fluff of pillows and blankets. She wasn't so sure about the new apartment, but she knew she could probably lay forever on the bed as she drifted off to sleep.

Minzy awoke to the grumbling in her belly. Turning over, she sighed as she nestled against her fluffy pillow and closed her eyes once again. She had forgotten what it was like to really rest while she was in New Zealand, being always on the go with school and work. Gazing over to her phone she was surprised that she had slept through the night and through the next day. Yonning from such a heavenly rest, she avoided all her texts and missed calls as she made her way to the bathroom. Smiling at the built in surround sound that was in her bedroom and bathroom, she ran the hot water in her tub. She was grateful to not have any responsibilities, well not any immediate ones to attend to. Turning on some music to listen to, she gladly took the second bottle of wine and stripped before laying into her soothing bath. 

It was her stomach that had her groaning as she sat up, looking at the time it was already the evening again. Rolling out of bed, she walked to the bathroom and her nice bear claw tub, filling it as she found a complimentary bottle of wine on the counter. Popping the bottle, she took a sip before stripping and jumping into the tub with her bottle of wine. Soaking in the heated water, she sighed as she sipped on her wine. After washing up and of course finishing the bottle, she put on some comfortable dark jeans and a loose white top to venture out for some food. She figured she needed more than the wine she had for the past two days. Scolding herself for putting off food for so long, she found herself at a near by restaurant. Ordering some food, she happily clapped her hands together giving thanks to the Gods above as the food was brought out right away. Inhaling the boiling soup before her, she let out a delighted sigh as she took a spoonful to her lips. Letting out a hum of approval, she ordered more as she ate. It felt like it had been ages since she last ate something so delicious. She downed both bowls before she took her leave. Burping from having such a full belly, she chuckled to herself as she walked out. As she stuffed her hands into her pockets she figured it would be nice to take a walk around the area to get familiar with her surroundings.

Strolling without a care, she smiled to herself as she closed her eyes and listened to all the sounds that made Korea home to her. She sent a text to Grandma to let her know that she was still alive and snapped a photo of herself letting her know that she was still in Korea. Grinning at Grandma's short cute text of hearts, she set out to the streets. Within minutes she found herself in the midst of street venders. She was in awe as she went around watching the various venders cook right before her eyes. Without her realizing it, she had bought two hand fulls of different foods. Feeling the weight of the food in her hands, she made her way back to her apartment before she could buy more food. 

"You must be starving," the security guard breathed as he rushed to help her through the door. 

Minzy giggled as she placed the food items onto the desk, "I was, but I was just fascinated by how the venders were cooking and ended up buying all this. Are you hungry? You should have some," she offered for him to choose. 

"I couldn't," the security guard waved politely. "But if you need help I can help you..."

"Yes, please help me and take some of this food off of my hands. Most of this food is best ate within the same day," Minzy insisted. "Maybe you can even pick some food out for your boss." 

The security guard nodded as he grinned, "True, my boss does seem to work long hours. Maybe some of this food will cheer him up." 

Minzy smiled at the sincere concern on the security guard's face, "Yes, please take what you both want." Gladly Minzy was able to leave most of the food with the security guard. Waving goodbye as she took her leave up the elevator, she gazed over to Teddy's apartment door and hoped the food would cheer him up. Placing the food into the fridge, she soon found herself stripping down to her undies and springing onto the bed. Giggling at the fluff that caught her weight, she let out a soft hum thinking that she could get used to living like this. But the buzz of her phone brought her back to reality. Frowning at the various calls and texts, she skimmed through the texts and calls and responded to a few before tossing her phone a ways from her and closing her eyes. 

 

Minzy awoke feeling a bit thirsty, stumbling out towards her kitchen, she flipped on her lights and opened her fridge to grab one of the complementary water bottles. Absent-mindedly drinking the water, she heard a knock at her front door. Without thinking, she walked to the door and opened it. Staring at the man before her, she watched as his eyes nearly buldged out and turned away. Processing that the man was Teddy, she wondered for a split second why he reacted in such a way. But it was only for a split second that she was quick to slam the door shut and rush to her room and quickly toss on her jeans and shirt before returning and flinging the door open. Breathlessly she twirled her long hair up into a messy bun and grinned, "Sorry about that, how can I help you?" 

"Are you decent," Teddy called over his shoulder. 

To which Minzy chuckled before reaching out to punch his arm, "I'm completely now that you're here." 

"Perfect," he chuckled as he hesitantly looked over to see that she was sarcastically dressed. "Sorry to have caught you at a bad time," he apologized as he fully turned around to face her. 

She shrugged as she folded her arms and leaned onto her door way, "What's up?" 

"I just wanted to come over and thank you for all that delicious food. You really didn't have to," he grinned. 

"Still pleasant as ever I see," she smiled at him. 

"Is that a bad thing," he countered with a smirk. 

She shrugged, knowing that she was in no place to judge him. In fact, if anything it was a good thing to her. If coming back to Korea was her path, at least she knew she could rely on Teddy being just as kind as she remembered. But that was a fact that she was going to keep to herself. "Did you enjoy the food?" 

He nodded with a big smile, "I've been working longer hours as of late and I haven't had good food like that in a while." 

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. You have a great security guard. He was the one who suggested I leave some food for you," she grinned at the thought of Teddy having a good sense of judgement in hiring people. 

His smile faultered at her words, "Oh, you mean that it was the security guard who asked you to leave me that food?"

"What, did you think all that food was bought only for you," Minzy scoffed as she shook her head. "Wow other people have to eat as well." Shaking her head, she gave him a scolding look, "It's your fault that I went two days without food." 

"My fault," he pointed to himself confused. 

Nodding she waved for him to follow her into the apartment, walking towards the counter she picked up the empty wine bottles, "See, you left me goodies here in this apartment that I couldn't bring myself to leaving." 

Teddy chuckled as he walked up to her and took one of the bottles out of her hand and examined it, "Hmm...this wine should have lasted you for two weeks, but you drank it in two days. It looks like I'll have to buy you more." 

"Perfect," Minzy clasped her hands together happily. "You buy me more wine and who knows, I might buy you more food." The pair laughed at their proposal before it went quiet. 

"Minzy?" She quickly glanced over to him to see a soft smile present on his lips. "Thanks for the food."

"Thanks for the wine," she countered. 

He nodded as he made his way towards the front door. She in turn followed him and was surprised as he came to an abrupt halt and turned. Stumbling into his grasp, she looked up at him with an apologetic grin, "Sorry."

Her words were silenced as she was crushed against him. The strength of his embrace, the smell of his cologne, not to mention the way he gently kissed the top of her head. "Welcome home." Before she could grasp what had happened, she was released. "Good night Minzy," he grinned as he made his way towards his apartment. Meanwhile she stood at her doorway, dumbfounded and staring at Teddy's front door like the first day she had found out that he was the owner of the apartment she would be staying at. Coming to her senses, she brushed off her stupid reaction and closed the door. Shaking her head, she did not like how he seemed to leave her looking dumb. 

 

Sitting in the meeting with her law and finances team, she was fairly impressed with how they were able to triple her finances along with investments. But after hearing of the increases, everything else fell upon deaf ears. She instead found herself thinking of her interactions with Teddy last night. Everything felt so nice, it had her cringing. Scribbling onto the notepad in front of her, she wondered what type of cologne Teddy used. Right when that thought crossed her mind, she shook the thought and did her best to refocus in the meeting. 

After everything was said and done, she went to the grocery store and picked out items to make a porridge for her brother. Heading to the Park residence, she knocked on the door and was gratefully met with a maid that informed her that her brother was well enough to leave the house. Frowning, Minzy handed the items to the maid instructing her to make a porridge for her brother when he returns. Turning to take her leave, she came face to face with Mina. 

"You're still here," Mina said sternly. 

"Shouldn't I be saying that? I thought you would've walked out of their lives by now," Minzy said just as cold as she walked away. 

"You think I would leave this?! It's better than the pathetic life your father could ever offer me," Mina called after her. 

Minzy stopped in her tracks as rage surged through her body. But the thoughts of her mother's situation brought her perspective. Turning over her shoulder, she stared quietly before responding, "I've made my peace with my father. Maybe it's time you should make yours." Her words not only surprised herself, but her mother who stood speechless. Continuing to walk away, she made her way from the Park residence and found herself at her father's grave. 

 

Minzy saw it best to spend the rest of her week at Grandma's cafe, especially since her brother seemed to be well enough not to be home. Not to mention if she were to stay in the apartment, she might run into Teddy and find herself looking stupid yet again. In the kitchen she found a safe place to escape and be where she has grown to feel most comfortable amongst the dishes and ingredients. Finding herself reviewing Grandma's recipes and even delighting in some of her very own. She also was able to go over the books and reciepts for the cafe. Going over the numbers she was able to plot out spread sheets and chart the success of the items being sold. If the numbers were telling her anything it was that business stayed consistent, it also showed where some things could improve. 

Now at the end of the week back home, Minzy felt like she was caught up. She had prepared some informal information to show Grandma at closing time. Looking over her notes, she awaited Grandma who was doing a walk through in the kitchen one last time. "Dear I think we need to talk," Grandma breathed as she took a seat across from her. 

"I agree," Minzy replied as she placed her hand onto the papers she had prepared to present to Grandma. 

"I need your help," Grandma sighed as a knock came at the door. Minzy looked and was confused Teddy standing and waving over at them. "Get the door for me please." 

Quickly getting onto her feet, Minzy went to unlock the door and let Teddy in. The last time she had seen him was when he embraced her tightly a few days ago. His manly scent swooshed by her and she couldn't help to think of the fresh spring soap and dubb it as Teddy's smell. Walking in, he thanked her with a small smile and nod before walking over to Grandma and embracing her and taking a seat next to her. Minzy did not think much into Teddy's presence as she sat across from him. "It looks like you're going to be working for me again," Teddy smiled brightly over to Minzy. 

"You're coming to work at the cafe," Minzy asked confused.

Teddy shook his head as Grandma spoke up, "My dear I need you to work as Teddy's assistant for a little while..." 

"His assistant?! I thought I came back to work here in this cafe," Minzy asked bewildered by this situation. 

Grandma sighed, "Yes dear and you've done an amazing job. But I am afraid that I need your help with Park construction..." 

"Park construction?! Are you out of your mind," Minzy gasped in shock. "No!"

"Did you think I had a choice?! My dear you are one of the few people I love and trust," Grandma cut in. "Help me solve what is going on with Park construction and the cafe with be solely yours." Minzy sat stunned by such an inticing offer. She found herself looking down at the suggestions she had written down and imagined that they could be a reality and more if she owned the cafe completely. Nodding, she grinned when Grandma reached out to take her hands and squeeze them tightly.