39.

Strong Willed

Minzy awoke rejuvenated after a well needed massage before they left the club. She was up and getting ready to head to Grandma's house when her conversation with Dae came to mind. She was on the phone dialing Teddy's number as she started making breakfast for herself. "Teddy?" 

"Good morning Minzy," he answered. "Are you making breakfast?" 

"Did you want some? I can make more for you..." she heard the knock on her front door. Pausing to go to the door, she smiled as Teddy stood with a big smile. "Come in," she moved to let him in as she hung up the phone. 

"You caught me right on time. I was just about to head into work," he said as he followed her into the kitchen. Grinning as she placed a plate in front of him, he watched as she went about cooking. "So what has you calling me so early this morning? Were you about to ask me out on a dinner date," he teased as he eyed her suspiciously. 

She laughed as she shook her head, "I forgot I said that."

"Ouch," he pouted as he placed his hand over his chest. "Am I that forgettable?" 

Minzy gazed over to Teddy and grinned, "I could never forget you." 

"That's good to hear," he smiled as he leaned upon her counter. "So tell me then, why did you call?" 

Minzy grabbed herself a plate and placed the omlets onto the plates. "I need you to look into something for me. Mino is apparently a project manager right?" 

"Yeah," Teddy said impressed that she would know that when he had not told her about him yet. 

"I want to know why he's not doing his job," she said flatly. "I met a very unhappy customer last night and if our customers aren't happy then I'm not happy." 

Teddy thought on her words and nodded, "I can get on that. I haven't heard many complaints about him, but that doesn't mean there aren't any."

Minzy nodded as she moved to take a seat at her table, "I need this looked into today." 

"Alright," he nodded. He became unsure whether or not to join in to enjoy the breakfast or slurp it down and go to do what she was asking of him. 

"Come eat first. I can't have you working on an empty stomach," she waved for him to sit with her. Feeling her phone buzz, she looked to see it was Grandma. "Sorry I have to answer this," Minzy said as she excused herself from the table. "Hello?"

"Dear I need you to come to the house sooner than later," Grandma said. 

"Okay, I'll be on my way," Minzy said as she rushed to her room to grab her things. 

"I'll see you shortly then," Grandma said as she hung up. 

Coming back to the kitchen, she shrugged as she moved to the table where Teddy looked like he was waiting for her. "I have to go." 

"Then let's scarf this down real quick," he suggested as he handed her her plate and took his. 

She laughed seeing him take about half of his omlet into his mouth as he wiggled his eyebrows. "It...tastes good," he mumbled with a stuffed mouth. Shaking her head, she tried to do the same but had bitten far too much. She spit up her portion and coughed as he patted her back. "Not all of us can be champs," he teased.

Minzy pouted as she took her plate and chomped down everything, "Whatever you loser!" They both laughed as he stuffed the last of his food into his mouth to try and catch up. Both Minzy and Teddy quickly chewed to try and finish their food as they eyed the door. It had turned into a competition as Minzy went bolting for the door. Holding a smug look as she lunged for the door, she squeaked as she was suddenly pulled the opposite way. Twirling around, she tried to wiggle out of his grasp which had him losing his balance. The pair went tumbling onto the couch and Minzy laughed as she flopped onto him with a thud. Gazing down at the man who had tried to steal away her victory, his eyes appeared to stare up at her intently as if studying her. "What," she sighed. "Don't like losing?" 

He reached out to brush the stray hairs from her face, "I don't feel like I'm losing when I'm with you." 

His words made her well aware of their risky position as she quickly pushed herself up and off of him. She felt her cheeks burning with embarassment as she remembered that she almost raced out without her things. Shaking her head, she made her way back to the kitchen to grab the items. Gratefully Teddy was up and at the door holding it open for her. "Thanks," she grinned as they walked out into the hallway. 

"Did my comment make you feel uncomfortable," he asked as they stood awaiting the elevator.

Minzy shrugged, "Not in a bad way."

"Then in a good way," he quickly followed as the elevator dinged and the doors opened. 

She sighed as she stepped onto the elevator, "Isn't there another choice?" She was conflicted as the doors closed and she couldn't escape the conversation. "I don't want to ruin a good thing." 

Teddy had been building to this moment for so long that he couldn't lose his chance as he pressed the button to stop the elevator and used his body to block it as he faced her. "Minzy listen to me..."

She couldn't help to stare up into his eyes and see that same look he had on the beach years ago. As much as she wanted to hear him out at the same time she couldn't. Holding her hand up to stop the words from spilling out, she moved to wrap her arms around his midsection. Pressing herself against his body, she inhaled his scent of cologne. She could hear his heart beat and she couldn't help but grin. Listening to the soft beating, she wished she could stay there all day until she felt the buzzing of her phone. She knew it had to be Grandma calling her back to reality. Inwardly groaning she pressed the button to start up the elevator again. When the elevator dinged to alert them that they had come to their stop, she reluctantly moved away from him and looked up at him. "Please look into what's going with Mino. I'll see you tomorrow." Hurrying away, she made no attempt to look back as she called a cab. Hopping into the cab, she let out a sigh of relief as she wondered what the hell she was going to do about Teddy. Shaking her head she got out the cab and called CL. "Hey CL..."

"I was just about to call you," CL chimed through the phone. 

"You were? What about?" 

"I think you should review these files and we should meet before the meeting tomorrow. We have a lot to discuss," CL said with worry.

"What is the matter," Minzy asked as she moved to walk towards the mansion of a home. 

CL sighed deeply unsure of how to break it to her, "It is our sole purpose to protect and support our clients. I'm not so sure it is in your best interest to get involved any further with the Park Construction Company. We found a lot of concerning things both with the company and the people running it. They are all tied to you in one way or another." 

"What does that mean," Minzy said becoming anxious.

"Maybe I'll just send you a few..."

"Or maybe you can just send me all the files. I will make time to review them today," Minzy said not wanting to sound afraid of whatever the news may be.

"Alright, but it's...a lot," CL sadly said. "We can discuss tomorrow morning what your plans will be after reading over all the information." 

Minzy didn't like the vague conversation, but tried to stay open minded, "Okay then, please send the files and we'll go over it tomorrow." The weight of today was already becoming a little too much as she saw a text from Grandma to walk in and that the door was open. Doing what she was told, she was surprised to see Mina, Bom, Zelo and Grandma all sitting together in the living room as if they had been waiting for her. "Umm..."

"Come in dear," Grandma waved to the seat next to her. Bowing slightly, she did what was asked of her and looked to Grandma for an explanation. "Now that we have everyone here I would like to thank you all for coming together. I know that we haven't seen eye to eye as of lately and it shows through the hostility that can be felt in this room. It seems that there are some disagreements to Minzy staying in this home."

"What is going on Grandma," Bom was the first one to speak up as she glared at Minzy.

Zelo was too into his phone texting while Mina gazed between Minzy and Grandma, "Yes please tell us. What is so urgent to demand our presence?" Bom and Mina felt that there surely had to be more the story. 

"It seems like that is the only way I am able to meet with you all," Grandma frowned. "But I wanted to call everyone here today to remind you all of whose home this is." Everyone sat quietly, even Zelo as he continue to keep texting, "I do not care if you disagree with Minzy staying in my home and quite frankly if you oppose to it please feel free to move out along with your opinons." 

"Luckily I'm already moving out," Bom grumbled. 

"Good, then I won't have to hear your constant complaining anymore," Grandma snapped. This made Grandma grow quiet before she spoke again, "Minzy is a part of this family whether you all like it or not..."

"We are not family," Bom growled.

"You may not want to claim her as family but I do! She is family and I will not have you disrespect her, especially in my presence," Grandma said firmly. 

"But how can you give her Dara's room," Bom began to cry.

"Bom, stop using your sister as a crutch. She has been gone for quite some time now and you and I both know your sister wouldn't have it any other way," Grandma said gently as she grinned over at Minzy. 

Bom glared at Minzy, "But I hate her!"

"You can hate her but you will respect her," Grandma said. "And seeing as we are on the topic of establishing Minzy's stay in my home I have other news to share with you all. Minzy is now my sole heir to all my inheritance which also includes this very home." 

"What," the three of them squeaked in disbelief as Minzy sat quietly. 

"Why would you do such a thing," Mina spoke in shock.

"No, no, no..." Bom cried angrily.

"So in all honesty this home is now Minzy's and you are all guests in her home," Grandma smiled like she didn't just give them the biggest news that would change their current life style.

"Is this about my engagement?! You just don't want me to be happy," Bom shook her head.

"You choose what makes you happy and now I'm choosing mine," Grandma reaffirmed as she moved to place a hand onto Minzy's. 

"I'm out of here," Zelo finally spoke up as he was up and leaving.

"I hate you Grandma," Bom shouted.

Minzy stood on her feet as she glared at Bom, "Get out of my house if you can't be respectful!" 

"This isn't your house," Bom stood to face her. 

"Leave," Minzy said simply. "I don't know why you're making so much noise anyway. You're moving out remember?" 

Bom looked at Minzy with so much disgust, "I'll be out of your hair by this weekend." Refusing to look at Grandma, she turned to take her leave. 

Mina was the only one left as she gazed up at Minzy, "So where does that leave me?"

"The same goes for you, stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours. Any signs of you disrespecting Grandma you can move out too," Minzy said indifferent to who she was talking to. 

Mina stood and scoffed at Minzy, "It was always your father's dream to make the company his and now look at you...if it wasn't for me marrying into this family you wouldn't have any of this!" 

Minzy looked Mina square in the eyes, "You didn't give me any of this. I will not hear anything about my father from you. My mother died a long time ago. To me you're nothing more than Mr. Park's spouse." 

"You don't scare me," Mina hissed.

"Good, I'm glad to know you grew a spine. I'm tired of always being the strong one," Minzy spoke cooly. Mina faultered at the memories of her past as she quickly retreated. Meanwhile Minzy sighed as she felt her phone buzz. Looking at her phone, she frowned at how many files she had to read. Taking a seat next to Grandma, she turned and grinned, "Was that too much?" 

"No, that was what we needed," Grandma reassured her. 

 

Minzy had retreated to her room after talking with Grandma. She had explained to her that she wanted to review the files from her team before the meeting. Opening the first file she was shocked by the photo that had pulled up, "What the..." As she began to read up on the file and felt a heavily weight upon her shoulders. Clicking her phone closed, she face planted into the pillow and wondered if she could honestly make it through this first one. Shaking her doubting thoughts, she reminded herself that this was for Grandma and the cafe. Reopening the file she continue to read through all of it.

 

By the time she had finished reading through all the files it was night time. It had taken her literally all day long to read through and piece the files together. Closing her phone, she frowned thinking about CL's words. She was right, maybe it was in her best interest to run the other way. Laying flat on her back, she took in everything and wondered what she was going to do. If her past had not come back and haunted her like it did yesterday, tomorrow would most definitely take the cake. As if on cue her stomach started to growl. She had not eaten since this morning and had locked herself away without a thought to anything else. Stretching out on her bed, she sighed as she made her way out of her room. Seeing that it was quiet and dark, she was grateful as she made her way out. Calling a cab, she walked out in the dark night waiting for a cab as she heard footsteps approaching. 

"Babe I'll figure this out," Zelo sighed heavily into the phone. "I will take care of her," he mumbled as he stood shaking his head as he stared up at the night sky. "She was my sister, but that doesn't mean anything now." Minzy had heard enough as she coughed aloud letting him know she was there. Glancing in her direction, he pressed his lips into a firm thin as he glared at her, "I have to go." Rolling his eyes, he tucked his phone away as he turned to move towards the house. 

"You shouldn't make promises you can't keep," she called after him, causing him to pause in his tracks. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm gonna be here for a while." He didn't say anything as he kept moving into the house as if he had not heard a word. 

Finding herself at a late night tent bar, she ordered some food as well as a couple of bottles of alcohol. Sighing as she took a seat, she thought about her brother who since being back has only looked at her with anger or disgust. She couldn't blame him, but it still hurt. It hurt to know that he was bitter about her being back when growing up it had always been them two against the world. Taking the first bottle in hand, she poured it in her shot glass and drank up. Grinning as the pork belly was placed onto her table, the sound of the meat sizzling on the burner had her pushing her worries aside. 

 

Groaning at the third alarm that was going off, she felt like her head was going to explode as she slapped at the phone to get it to shut up. Dwelling in the silence, she had trouble sleeping last night with everything she had just found out. Dozing in and out of sleep, she had finally fallen asleep when her alarm had started to go off. The lack of sleep made it hard for her to get up, but by the fourth alarm she was forcing her body up and out of bed. Shuffling to the bathroom, she turned the water on cold and was able to jolt awake. 

 

Pulling up to the Park Construction Company office building, Minzy made her way in to find the conference room CL had set up for them. "Morning," Minzy mumbled to the team. She was grateful for the large cup of coffee and pasteries that were placed in front of her. 

"Long night," CL said knowing the answer to her question. CL had been the main confidant in knowing everything about Minzy's life. She had told Minzy it was so that she could better protect and represent her. So over the years CL had come to know every aspect either legal and illegal about Minzy's life. She even was informed of every relationship which made it difficult for CL to send such sensitive information to Minzy, but that was her job. 

"It was a lot to take in," Minzy nodded. "But there will be alot for everyone to take in today as well. Did you make sure that the assistants that you had mentioned in the files were sent mandatory attendance to the meeting as well?" 

"Yes, I e-mailed them all last night and they all said they'd be there." 

"How about the project managers," Minzy added. She needed them all to be there. 

CL gave her a curt nod, "Everyone of them were told and responded that they will be attending." 

"Good, do you have the figures for me," Minzy asked.

A hefty packet was placed before her. Glancing over the charts and numbers, Minzy frowned, "." Shaking her head, she couldn't look at the numbers anymore, "The numbers don't lie."

"They don't," CL softly spoke. "Minzy it's a good thing Grandma called you back when she did. She would've lost everything. Her home and the cafe included." 

Minzy was on the verge of tears at the thought that Grandma would be essentially homeless. Shaking her head, she asked for everyone to take a quick break. Pulling out her phone she called the person who she was worried about, "Grandma? Why didn't you tell me it was this bad? Why did you wait so long?" 

"Is it foolish of me to feel embarassed to have to come to this? I wanted you to live out your life the best you could without any trouble," she admitted.

The tears were falling as Minzy pressed her head onto the table. She knew the lack of sleep as well as the weight of dealing with her past was starting to spill over, "Don't you ever feel embarassed to come to me. You're all the family I have left and from now on I promise you that I wil give you the best life." 

"My child you have more than just me. You have Mina, Zelo and Bom as well. Even though they may have a lot of problems I want you to promise me you'll care for them too," Grandma asked.

"You're asking a lot," Minzy breathed as she chuckled. 

"If anyone can do it I know it's you," Grandma said confidently. "I'm on my way to the meeting now. I'll see you soon." 

Minzy hung up the phone and stayed with her head laid up on the table. Taking in her conversation with Grandma, she felt so confused as the tears continue to fall forming a small puddle onto the table. Staring down at the puddle she was making, she quickly closed her eyes at the sound of the door opening and the clicking of heels. Staying quiet as she tried to collect her thoughts, CL took a seat next to her, she mumbled a soft hey. "Grandma has too much faith in my abilities."

"From a business perspective you're the only one who can save this company. Grandma has faith in you with reason and the numbers are with you to prove it," CL grabbed the box of tissues and gently dabbed at Minzy's tear stained cheeks. "Now is the time to focus on yourself. Have a little faith in yourself and believe that we're going to pull through this okay?" 

Minzy slowly opened her eyes and smiled up at the woman who had been there for her throught the past few years, "I know this is blurring the lines of professionalism, but I'm so grateful for you. I can never repay you for all the kindness and hard work you've done for me." 

"Life hasn't dealt you a kind hand so it's the least I can do to help balance the playing field," CL said so cooly. 

Minzy chuckled as she sat up. Looking at the time, she frowned as the inevitable meeting came fast approaching. "I'm going to go get freshened up in the ladies room and I'll meet you and the team in the meeting." Wiping at the last of her stray tears, she headed straight for the restroom. Finding herself at the sink, she let her hands run underneath the cool waters. Taking a few deep breaths, she splashed some water onto her face. Allowing the water trickle off of her face, she stood staring at herself in the mirror. She was relieved that her eyes were a slight pink as if she had stayed up late which she was rather than looking as if she had been crying. She had to put on her game face as she was about to start the long process of bringing back PCC. Taking a paper towel and dabbing at her face, the restroom door flung open to reveal Bom, Fei and Hyuna filtering in. 

"This ," Fei hissed at seeing Minzy.

"Shut up Fei," Hyuna said as she smiled over at Minzy. "How's it going girl?"

Bom rolled her eyes as she moved to a stall, "Why are you even playing nice with her Hyuna? Didn't you just say the other day that she was a back stabbing ?"

Hyuna paled in horror, as she looked to Minzy, "She's taking it out of context. I was completely wasted and upset that you wouldn't be here for my wedding." Chuckling nervously, Hyuna kicked at Bom's stall door to have Bom squeak. Meahwhile Fei stood with her teeth sunk into her lower lip as if she was biting back the words that she wanted to say.

Minzy was unfazed by the ruckus that came into the restroom as she walked out without a word. Holding her head high, she took a deep breath and entered the main conference room.