36.

Strong Willed

The drive was quiet and Minzy was grateful for it. Mentally she wanted to prepare to see Mr. Park. Thinking back to their first interactions through emails, he was genuinely a good man she thought as she stayed staring out the window. Dozing off at the peaceful ride, she came to when she heard her name being softly called. Fluttering her eyes open, she grinned as she saw Teddy smiling over at her letting her know that they had arrived at their destination. Nodding, she was surprised to see that Mr. Park had decided to be buried in the same graveyard as her father. Following Teddy down the path, she grew anxious as they continue to move in the direction of her father's grave. Seeing Teddy stop, she stood next to him in disbelief that Mr. Park was buried next to her father. "Mr. Park had bought this plot after your father's funeral." 

Slowly descending down onto her knees in between the graves, she gazed between them feeling her heart so heavy. Reaching out to Mr. Park's grave, she sadly smiled as the tears started to well in her eyes, "I'm so sorry I wasn't here for you. I hope you understand." Hanging her head low, she shook it before gazing over to her father's grave, "And you? I bet you've been showing Mr.Park around on the other side right?" Sighing deeply, she dropped her hands into her lap as she sat consumed in her thoughts.

"My son was more than understanding of your situation," Grandma spoke up announcing her presence. Shifting her gaze towards Grandma that had made her way over, she tried to give her a small grin but failed as the tears started to fall.

Dropping her gaze back down, she wiped at her eyes, "Grandma I'm sorry I wasn't here for you when you lost your son."

"But you're here now my dear," Grandma said as she slowly moved down onto the grass next to Minzy. Settling next to her, Grandma smiled as she moved to wipe at Minzy's tears, "I feel a little more at ease now that you're here." 

Minzy caught Grandma's hand and held it against her cheek as she sadly smiled at her, "Tell me what I can do to keep you feeling at ease." She knew very well what it was like to lose someone and she couldn't wish those feelings on anyone. 

Grandma sighed as she gazed up at Teddy who nodded before she turned her attention back to her, "My child I do need a favor." 

"Anything, tell me," Minzy was quick to say. 

"I need you to be head of Park constructions. Take the place of my late son," Grandma finally revealed why she had brought her back. Minzy was speechless as she looked to Grandma unsure if she heard right. "Before my son passed he had divided his share of the family assets between four people Bom, Mina, Zelo and you. On top of that, Zelo had signed all of his shares from your father over to you which makes you the majority owner of Park constructions."

"Why would he do that," Minzy mindlessly mumbled in shock.

"Whether you accept it or not, Minzy you became family when my son married your mother and though you couldn't accept him as a step-father he wanted to be there for you. If not physically, he wanted at the very least to make sure you were financially taken care of. As for your brother, he is just as stubborn as you. He had made up his mind that he didn't want any part of you leaving." She pressed her lips tightly together as Grandma told her the hard truth, "Then there is my share. As one of my grandchildren I choose you as my sole heir to my portion of our family wealth." 

"Grandma what about Bom," Minzy asked confused by this. 

"She is blinded by love to see the truth of it all," Grandma paused as she held back the frustrated feelings. "Minzy I am getting too old and I don't know if I have the strength to fight..."

Minzy moved to embrace Grandma tightly, "Don't worry Grandma I will do what you wish. I will be your strength." 

Feeling Grandma's arms hold her, she smiled, "I knew I could count on you." 

 

Minzy sat staring out the window of Teddy's truck as she thought back to her conversation with Grandma. After she had seen her off, she had felt a heavy weight placed upon her shoulders. She didn't know why she sensed that Grandma wasn't telling her everything as she looked over and stared at Teddy who gazed over at her and grinned, "What?" 

"Something doesn't feel right. What are you guys not telling me," she asked. 

"Right now you are the only one Grandma can trust. She is under a lot of pressure from Mina, Bom and Zelo uniting together," he sighed deeply. 

"Mina, Bom, Zelo, and Grandma all live under the same roof right," Minzy asked. 

"Yes, which doesn't help Grandma's case. The constant politics is wearing her down," he frowned. "I'm glad you're here to help her. I can only do so much." 

Hopping out of the truck she frowned feeling guilty, "Grandma is a strong woman." 

"But even strong women need a break," Teddy said as he fell into step with her as they walked into the apartment. Getting onto the elevator Teddy could see how deep in thought Minzy was, "Hey don't worry about it. You're here now." 

"I can't help it," she frowned as she stepped out of the elevator. 

"Well now that the cat is out of the bag, how about tomorrow we start training you to be a boss instead of an assistant," he suggested. 

"Are you close with Zelo still," Minzy quickly changed the subject to the other problem weighing heavy on her mind.

Teddy shifted uncomfortably as he shrugged, "I mean, not as close as we used to be. Right now from what I've heard his plate is pretty full." 

"What does that mean," she asked as he appeared to avoid eye contact. "You know what, can I just have his number?" 

"Yeah," Teddy said relieved as he pulled out his phone and sent her the number. "Anything else?" 

She nodded as she stared at him curiously, "Yeah, where do you fall in all of this? Whose side are you on?" 

Teddy pressed his lips tightly together as if thinking how to best answer before looking her dead in the eyes, "I'm on your side." It was not the answer she was expecting as it clearly showed on her face and not having the words to respond back she just stood there, "Good night Minzy." Teddy smiled at her before turning to enter his apartment. 

When the door closed, Minzy turned and made her way into her apartment. She wasn't sure if she should consider Teddy to be another problem to add onto her list until she felt her phone buzz in her pocket. She was quick to answer it. "Hello?" 

"Minzy hey how are you? I was thinking about you and wanted to see how your trip to Korea has been," a male voice said happily through her phone. Confused by her situation from earlier, she had to look at her caller ID to make sure she knew who she was talking to. "Taeyang? Wow thanks for checking in on me." 

"Sounds like you forgot who I was," he teased as he chuckled. 

"No I'm sorry, I just have a lot on my mind right now," she confessed as she made her way towards her room. "But I would rather think about something else. What are you up to?" 

"I'm trying to cook," he chuckled. 

"Oh so you were needing some cooking tips is that why you called," she teased. 

"No I wanted to hear your voice," he laughed as she continue to . 

Shaking her head, it sounded like it was chaotic, "Taeyang what's going on?" 

"Everything," he revealed making them both laugh. 

 

After a good talk with Taeyang, she found herself back in her head as she gazed at the number on her phone. Pacing back and forth, she wondered what to do. Shaking her head at her thoughts, she knew what she had to do but actually following through made her hesitant. After what felt like hours of debate, she finally dialed the number she was given. Placing the phone against her ear, her anxiety began to increase as she heard the phone ringing. As the phone continue to ring, she started to lose hope before it was finally picked up. 

"Hello," Zelo spoke causing her to shiver and bite her lower lip. She found it hard to speak as her mind blanked. "Is this Minzy?" 

Exhaling deeply she summed up the courage to speak, "Hey, I...I just wanted to check on you to see how you're doing." 

"Why? I've been managing since you left," his words sounded cold and distant.

She pulled the phone away for a split second in shock before holding it back to her ear, "Excuse me?" 

"What," he sounded annoyed and bothered. 

She sighed as she shook her head, "Obviously you haven't been doing so ing well seeing as I am back." 

"I don't need you to take care of me. I didn't ask you to come back," he snapped back. 

She was beyond livid as she clutched on her phone, "Listen here you little , I don't care about how you feel about me that's not why I called." That was partly a lie, but he didn't need to know that. "I called to tell you to get your together and remember who took care of us when our lives went to . Whatever ed up ill feelings you have towards me should stay with me, not with Grandma you hear me?!" 

"What did Grandma tell you," he hissed through his teeth. 

"Enough for me to have to come back and call someone who also forgot who left first," Minzy said with so much spite before hanging up. Tossing her phone onto her bed, she shook her head as she found herself too worked up to be able to go to sleep. 

 

Minzy held her shot glass as she had her phone pressed to her ear. "Hello," she mumbled.

"Minzy what the are you drunk," Chaerin asked through the phone as she could hear chattering in the background. "Wait are you at the club again?!"

"Chaerin," she felt the tears welling in her eyes before she downed her next shot. She had lost track and it began to start tasting like it was water. Had the bar tender taken notice and stopped serving her alcohol? She couldn't tell as she continue to mumble onto the phone. "My brother is gone."

"What do you mean he's gone? Did he pass away," Chaerin asked. 

Minzy shook her head as she gripped onto her next shot and sighed, "It feels like it. This hurts." 

 

Minzy awoke with a throbbing headache, as she sat up and groaned. As her heavy eyes began to open, she was confused as she sat up face to face with Teddy smiling at her, "What the happened?" The last thing she remembered was talking on the phone with Chaerin, looking around she didn't recoginze where she was.

"Well you drunk called me at four this morning telling me that you were calling in sick for the day. You were so far gone the bar tender had to tell me where you were to come pick you up. You had thrown up..."

She raised her hand to stop him as pieces started to come flashing in her mind, ", I haven't drank like that for years I guess my tolerence level dropped." Falling on her back she sighed as she realized she wasn't in her apartment and figured she was probably in Teddy's. "So sorry I caused you such an inconvience." 

"It's fine..." 

"It's not," she sighed as she tried to get up again but felt a sudden rush as she fell back again. Shaking her head as her conversation with Zelo came to mind, she couldn't believe what he said and more so how he said it to her. It was nothing like her brother she knew and loved, "What the is his problem?" Teddy stayed quiet as he listened. "I don't know what I was expecting, but...I guess I should've known. Grandma is all I have now." 

"Minzy, though I haven't been in contact with your brother as of lately. From what I've gathered life has been difficult for him too," Teddy softly spoke. 

Wiping at the stray tear that fell from her eyes, she huffed out in frustration as she moved to get up, "It doesn't matter now does it. We're two different people now." 

Teddy stood along side her and frowned at the stubborn wobbly young woman, "Even if you're different you're still family." 

"Teddy I heard it in his voice. We're over and done with," she sadly spoke as she moved towards the front door. "There's a meeting in a few days right," she asked as he nodded.

"Yeah, it's the board meeting, everyone who is someone will be there. Including your brother," he said. 

The thought made her chest tighten, "Good, I'll be there." 

"Here, your phone," Teddy came rushing over.

"Thanks again," she smiled before taking her leave. Calling up her head advisor, she called to tell her the news and to prepare for the upcoming meeting. 

 

Minzy was grateful for the tour of one of the projects the company was taking on. It was a large contract of apartments. Watching Teddy hard at work delegating made her grin as the men respected his decisions and did what they were told. "You're a natural," she grinned as she walked along side him.

"I wasn't always. Your father showed me how to demand respect," he shrugged.

The thoughts of how her father demanded respect at home invaded her mind. Shaking the thoughts, she knew by the end of his life he was able to make peace with them and so she only nodded to acknowledge Teddy. "Either way you do so well." 

"Thank you," he nodded. 

"Should we get some lunch," she offered to which his mood brightened with a smile. 

"I can't wait to see what you've made today," he clapped his hands together seeing that she put her culinary skills to practice when it came to the foods she made for them. 

"Don't get too excited. I made a simple stir fry," she shrugged as they moved to his truck where her lunch box sat. 

"Minzy nothing is simple when it comes to you," he teased as he hopped into the truck. She couldn't argue that as she chuckled and opened the lunch box for them. 

 

Minzy bit down on her lower lip to the point that she thought that she was going to puncture it. Clutching a bag in hand, she stood in front of the mansion as she held her phone to her ear and heard it ring a few times. Grateful to hear Grandma's voice on the line she smiled to herself. "Grandma are you home right now?" 

"Yes dear, is something wrong?" 

"Will you come to the front door," Minzy asked as she walked towards it to see the woman she was on the phone with. 

Grandma hung up the phone as she smiled at Minzy, pleasantly surprised by her visit. "Hello dear." 

Minzy moved to embrace Grandma and sought comfort in the older woman's arms. "Can I stay here with you?" 

Grandma pulled back a bit as if she wasn't sure of what she had just heard, "What?" 

"I want to come home," Minzy gave her an apologetic grin before she was enveloped in a strong embrace. 

"You're always welcome home," Grandma breathed. 

 

Author's Notes:

Oh my gosh the struggle is real with this fic. I have found myself continually writing multiple chapters and then deleting them to start all over again. I'm just not satisfied with my work on this fic and it bugs the crap out of me. I'm trying my hardest not to give up on this fic. Slowly but freaking surely this will get completed! Thanks for your patience and for reading if there are still people reading haha.