16.

Strong Willed

Minzy found it hard to focus as she sat dazing off in class. The past week to her seemed to be one of her better weeks. She felt like she was on her A game, especially when it came to Seunghyun. After the night they shared that kiss and reminisced of happier moments in their relationship, things between her and him seemed calmer. Maybe it was the fact that she seemed more relaxed around him and actually allowing him into her life even if it was for a few hours after school to talk about their education. This was a big deal for her and she knew it. She wasn't one to let someone live down broken trust, yet there was Seunghyun. Over the last couple of months he had broken her heart over and over again. She knew she wasn't perfect herself. She had her share of being with other guys on the times that they would separate or be on breaks. But none of those times spent with the other guys were as serious or as intense as it was with Seunghyun. He was all she really knew or wanted to know. At least that's how she thought it would end up. "Alright, thank you class for today let's pick up the rest of this lecture next time," the professor said before the bell rang.

Minzy shook her head and gazed down at her notebook to find nothing but the date at the top of a blank piece of paper, "!" Sighing, she gathered her things and scolded herself for thinking on silly things like relationships when she was on the verge of finishing her high school career. Walking towards the door, she was blocked by none other than Hyuna and Fei. "Excuse me," she said as she walked around them.

"Wait Minzy," Hyuna moved to block her way again. "Please let's talk."

"About..."

Fei rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest, "See Hyuna! I told you she was gonna act like this! I don't want to do this."

"Shows me just how much our friendship was," Minzy stated in a matter of fact tone going straight for the gut shot.

"Are you ing kidding me?! Don't go there," Fei growled as she waved her index finger in front of Minzy's face.

Minzy met Fei's glare with the same intensity, if not more, " wave that finger in my face one more time and see what happens."

Hyuna stepped in between the two with both hands in the air, "Alright this is not how I planned it."

Minzy put her hands up and backed away, " it, you're not worth it. I thought we were girls."

"We are," Fei's glare faultered. "I'm sorry okay?"

"For what? For throwing yourself at Jiyong? Go ahead and have him. Just tell him to please stop texting me and telling me that it was a mistake," Minzy said coldly.

"Minzy," Hyuna whinned as she placed her hand over her forehead.

"I ing hate you," Fei spat as her eyes began to water. "Yeah that's right. I along with everyone else hates your ing guts and that includes Seunghyun. You're only a ing reference to him so he can get into the college he and Bom want to go to. And after they graduate they plan to get married and start a family. Did you know that? Seunghyun and Bom have their future all planned out and you're not part of it!"

Minzy smirked before sarcastically clapping her hands together to give Fei a round of applause, "Good for you. I'm glad that you were able to take time away from constantly throwing yourself at Jiyong, my leftovers, to find dirt on Seunghyun and Bom. All for what? To bring me down? If I wanted Jiyong I would've ing had him. So just be lucky you're getting my sloppy seconds and keep that stalker info for someone who cares." Minzy flipped her hair at Fei and turned, "es hate me cuz they ain't me." Walking away, she did her best to not look back knowing very well she had hurt Fei. 

Making her way into the library, she plopped into her seat. She ignored Seunghyun giving her the eye for being late and prepared her items. "You're late," he finally spoke up when she continued to pull things out of her bag without saying a word. "Hello I said you're late."

"I'm glad you know what time it is. Now let's get this over and done with," she gave him a big plastic smile.

He frowned as he eyed her suspiciously, "Having a bad day?"

"Something like that...," she tried to shrug it off. 

"What happened," he continued to pester her with questions

"Nothing, now can we..."

"You seemed to be in a good mood all week until..."

She raised her hand to stop him, "Can you please just do your ing job and tutor me? If you want that reference you so badly need to get into college with Bom you better stop wasting time."

"What," he asked somewhat confused and offended.

", just please let me know if you're going to tutor me. If not then then we can cut this session and save studying for another day," she said bluntly.

"Whoa, where is this all coming from? Yes I do need a reference, but that doesn't mean I need it to go to the same college as Bom. It just so happened that we both are looking into the same one. You know I have been looking into basketball programs. It's been part of the plan I've had for a while."

Minzy waved for him to stop before gathering her things, "You know what, I can't do this. Thanks for wasting my time like everyone else." Packing everything in her bag, she ignored his questions as she turned to leave.

Minzy pulled her phone out when it began to buzz, "Hello?"

"Hey you little , guess who's in town," the familiar voice said cheerfully. 

"You mother er," Minzy grinned as she made her way out of the building. "No way! I haven't seen you in forever."

"Can you come by the old spot," he asked. 

Minzy looked at the time and weighed out the options. Knowing who she was talking to it would be a little bit before she could get home, "Well..."

"C'mon, I'm only in town for today. We won't do anything too crazy."

"You promise?"

"You know I'm a man of my word."

"You really ed me over the last time you said that," she teased as she drove off.

"But you have to admit it, it was worth it."

"True. One hour that's all I'm giving you," she gave in.

"Yes! See you in a little," he said as she rushed over to the designated spot.

 

Minzy sent a quick to her mom before she started making her way through the hole in the gate. She walked to the empty building and grinned seeing the lock broken before opening the door and heading up the stairs. "Hello," she called as she entered the empty room that was lit with natural light from the large windows.

"Minzy," the familiar voice called to get her attention.

She turned and smiled as she walked up to him and gave him a big hug, "I can't believe you're still alive."

"What's that supposed to mean," he chuckled as he pulled away.

She hit his arm and laughed, "You know exactly what I mean Daesung. But it's good to see you. How have you been?"

"Better than ever, just thought I'd pass through to..." he reached in his pocket and pulled out his stash. "Smoke a few with a good pal."

"I see you haven't changed," she shook her head. Taking one joint from his hand she sighed, "I can't remember the last time we did this."

He grinned as he lit her joint and then his, "That's because we were so high we could touch the ing sky."

She took a long needed puff as she gazed out the window, "Thanks for this. It was needed."

Slinging his arm over her shoulders he nodded as he took a puff from his joint, "I got you girl."

Leaning against her good ol' friend she sighed, "I'm glad someone does."

"What's wrong baby girl? Tell your smoking bestie what's wrong," he with a squeeze.

"I don't know," she moved out of his embrace and hugged herself as she continued to stare out the window. "I just feel so alone..." taking another puff from her joint she let the drug loosen her up. "I can't trust no one and the one I trust is unconscious. It's a long story, but I just feel like my life is ed up."

Bracing his self against the window, he leaned towards her and whispered, "Baby girl everyone's life is ed up. But that doesn't mean we let life swallow us whole. You gotta take life by the horns and take it for the hell of a ride that it is."

She grinned as she puffed her joint, "You truly are my smoking bestie." Giving him a big hug, she felt glad that Daesung made her day a whole lot better.

"Sorry to interrupt," a voice cut in.

Minzy pulled away to accept the apology but was caught off guard to who it was, "Seunghyun?! What are you doing here?"

"I should ask you the same thing," he said with just as much shock.

"You two know each other," Daesung asked as he pointed between the two.

"You could say that," Minzy shrugged. "But that's not important."

"Yeah it is. How do you know him," Seunghyun asked.

"Why does it matter? You're not my ing mother," she snapped.

Daesung held his hand up to stop Minzy, "Whoa Minzy, he's one of my best customers. Please go easy on him."

"Dae you're his ing provider? Do you know that he's into sports and is like the top of our class?"

"Hey you're not my ing mother either," Seunghyun hissed.

"Does Bom know," Minzy countered.

"Why does she have to know?"

She shrugged, "I don't know. You're going to marry her and all. I think she has a right to know since I sure as hell didn't know you used."

"Are you judging me right now? I'm just as shocked as you are to find out that you smoke too," Seunghyun said in disbelief.

She shook her head and held a straight face, "No and you know better than that. I'm just disappointed that you didn't have that much trust in me to see this side of you."

"Side of me? It's just something I do," he shrugged not understanding what she meant.

She coughed in disbelief, " it, you're lucky you came after I've taken a few puffs. I seem to have a little more patience." Turning to Daesung she snatched the bag of joints and pulled two out. "I'm taking two for the road since my last joint was wasted from your complications."

"Whatever," Dae chuckled confused but not wanting to intensify the tension in the room. Pulling her in for a big hug he quietly whispered, "He's the numb nuts I told you about when I told you I found a new user."

"Huh," she hummed as she thought back to a conversation of numb nuts. Minzy and Daesung somehow had met at a party and the next thing she knew they were smoking together and talking about life. Each finding comfort in talking to a random stranger about how their lives were and how he had became a dealer. Minzy thought harder and remembered, she felt so relaxed and goofy. Everything seemed funny to her and especially the story of how Daesung met a new user the other day. Daesung thought it would be funny to tease the new customer and lie about how his brand of weed was so good that it numbed your nuts. He didn't expect the new user to actually be grateful for that news, when the new customer told him that it was a good thing since his hormones were raging like crazy. Hence he bought double the amount and became a faithful buyer after that. 

Minzy burst into laughter at the memory and hugged Daesung tightly, "Damn I dated numb nuts!"

Dae pulled away shocked, "What?! You ed with numb nuts?!"

She elbowed him in the gut as he pulled him away from Seunghyun, "Numb nuts tried to with me and now he's with some annoying hoe."

"You mean numb nuts actually is a two timing son of a ? , what is this world coming to," Daesung shook his head. "Do you still like numb nuts?"

She shrugged, "It's complicated."

"Minzy, did numb nuts up? If you don't think I should sell to him I won't. I don't like doing business with shady people, especially when they like to numb their nuts."

She couldn't help the explosion of laughter as she hit his arm, "You dumb , don't be like that. Money is money even if it's from people the likes of him." 

He nodded in understanding, "You're right. But sorry for cutting our time short. I didn't think you two would know each other."

"No worries, but I gotta go. I got to do. See you when I see you, " she smiled as she gave her smoking bestie one more hug. "I will smoke both of my joints nice and slow to make them last longer." 

"You better, that is the real . And as for numb nuts, he gets only a small taste of what's in the joints you have," Dae winked at her. "By smoking bestie."

"Later," she waved ignoring Seunghyun's questioning glances as she made her way out. 

 

After completing all of her school work, Minzy went about doing her nightly checks for Zelo to see everything working out fine. Brushing her hand across his pale face, she frowned seeing that though everything worked fine he still lay in bed unconscious. "What are you waiting for? Are you really enjoying the dream world more than real life?" Sighing, she pecked his forehead before turning to reach for her joints. Lucky for her, Zelo's room was on the main floor allowing her to jump through the window and into her backyard. Creeping past the windows to where her mother sat watching tv as she waited for her father to get home, she found a cozy spot to lay out on the grass. Staring up at the sky, she could hear nothing but the quiet air of distant cars passing by. Lighting her first joint, she took a long slow puff before pulling her knees up to lean on. Her phone buzzed as she took her third buzz and she quickly answered it, "What?"

"I'm coming back there," the voice whispered.

"I'm not home."

"I can see you from the gate."

"That's not me," she chuckled as she puffed more from her joint. 

"Holy that stuff is strong," Seunghyun said as he sat next to her.

"Didn't I tell you I wasn't home," she hissed as she tried to sound annoyed, but the joint was making her feel too woozy to do so.

"How come my stuff isn't as strong," he asked as he lit his joint.

" you can't hang," she laughed at her mocking him. "Now get the out of here so I can enjoy my ."

"But it's better to smoke with someone. It's more enjoyable," he countered.

"Who told you that lie? You have to actually enjoy someone's company for it to actually be enjoyable."

"Here we go," he rolled his eyes as he puffed his joint. "You know you like my company."

"You and your big head need to get the out of here with that ," she shook her head. "That stinks," she waved her hand in front of her nose. 

"You're such a ," he chuckled as he bumped his shoulder against hers. 

She chuckled as she did it right back, "And you're annoying as ! Now if you wanna stay and smoke here with me then smoke, don't try to start a conversation with me because we know damn well that it will lead to a fight. Got it?"

"Fine," he shrugged as he quietly sat smoking beside her as they stared out at the night sky.

 

After all the weed was smoked, the pair lay in the grass staring up at the sky. Minzy could hear the echoing of her father's voice shouting at her mother in the house. Closing her eyes, she tried to block out all the shouting. Gratefully she was pulled into Seunghyun's strong embrace. Leaning her head upon his chest, she listened to his heart beat. It's soft beating began to sooth her as well as block out the harsh tone of her father. Snuggling up against Seunghyun, she enjoyed the way he held her tightly against him. They fit perfectly against each other, at least that was the thought that crossed her mind as she lay in his arms until his stomach gurgled. "Sorry I think the smoking gave me the munchies," he chuckled making them both giggle. 

Pulling out of his grasp she sat up and smiled, "Let's go grab something to eat then." 

"Yes," he cheered as he hopped onto his feet and helped her up onto her own. Pulling up to the nearest convient store, they bought some noodles and candies before sitting outside at a round table. Quickly downing his portion of noodles, Seunghyun gladly accepted Minzy's portion after she had only taken a bite. "Are you sure you don't want more," he said with a full mouth of noodles. She grinned as she shook her head and glanced down at the candies. Unwrapping a starburst, she popped it into as she gazed out at the night sky. It was a sweet taste she told herself to her not so sweet life. It was the words of a young boy that she found herself still referring to today. "What are you smiling at over there," Seunghyun asked as he began to eat the candy with her. 

She shrugged as she rolled up the wrapper and tossed it onto the table, "It's sweet." 

"Yes it is," he nodded to agree. 

Watching the way Seunghyun's face lit up as he chewed away at his piece of confection, she couldn't help but see the chubby boy back in elementary. Smiling to herself, she stood to her feet and turned to walk away. "Good night," she called over her shoulder.

"Hey wait, you gotta help me finish these. I can't eat these all," he sighed as he rushed by her side. 

"I knew a boy once who could," she said referring to his elementary days. Grinning to herself, she wondered why she kept referring to that time period for him as of lately. 

He chuckled as he nodded, "True but I haven't eaten like that for a while now, especially with basketball and all. So you gotta help me with all these candies." 

"Fine," she sighed as he followed her back to her house. 

 

Minzy heard her name softly being echoed. She couldn't clearly make out the voice, as it continued to pull her out of her deep slumber. "Minzy are you awake," she was able to finally make out the owner to the voice. She questioned herself as to why Seunghyun was trying to wake her up and why she felt so numb and couldn't move to reply. He brushed his hand down her arm, to try and wake her before kissing the top of her head, "I guess it's easier this way." She was confused as to why he was saying that and listened as her numb body lay still. "I'm sorry for putting you through so much. I don't know what to tell you. I'm a selfish guy, I guess. Damn this is even hard to tell you when you're asleep," he sighed. "You and Bom bring out two different sides of me. You see me for me and accept me for all my flaws and know me best. Then there's Bom who pushes me to be better and gives me hope for the future. And I'm stuck in the middle torn as to which way to go. Does that make any sense?" Bending down to kiss the top of her head, "I do love you, but I love Bom too." Moving out of her embrace, he gently laid her in the grass before making his way out of the yard. Slowly opening her eyes, Minzy lay still somewhat numb. But it wasn't because of the weed, no it was the words of someone she loved that had her lying numb on the ground. Closing her eyes, she held back the tears that threatened to leave her eyes. She wasn't going to let herself cry, no not today. Gathering the strength to get up on her feet, she walked to Zelo's window and jumped through. Entering the room, she curled up into a ball on the ground and closed her eyes as she tried to forget what had just happened.