9.

Strong Willed

"Minzy?! Wha...what are you doing here," Bom asked confused and shocked.

"I..."

"I should be asking you that, this is my house," Se7en cut in. "Thanks for coming by to visit me Minzy," he said as he lightly pushed her forward. "I'll talk to you later?"

"Uh yeah, sure thing," she waved as she quickly made her way to her car. Sighing as she got in her car, she shook her head feeling stupid for not being able to answer her. "What the hell is wrong with me?"

 

Minzy sat beside Zelo's bed and watched as he slept peacefully. Grinning at his innocence, she found herself leaning her head against the bed. Though she did get some sleep, it wasn't enough to keep her from yoning and falling asleep.

 

Minzy tapped her foot waiting impatiently in the living room. He was late, way late! But he wasn't just late to anything, it was their prom. After waiting for what seemed like hours, she decided to go alone. Grabbing her keys, she marched outside to see all the cars were gone including hers. Cursing the heavens above, she took off her heels and hiked up her dress before she started running. With her adrenaline pumping, she pushed herself harder as she neared the school. But before she could reach the school, she found herself hitting the pavement as she stumbled over herself, smashing her face first into the ground. She groaned as it started to rain as she still lay face down. Pushing herself up, she could've sworn her face left a print in the cement with the traces of colorful makeup on the ground. Standing at the steps of her high school, she quickly made her way up the stairs as the rain came pouring down hard. Soaked in her sweat and water, she pushed her way through to the dance not caring about all the stares she was receiving.

"Minzy," Hyuna and Fei quickly barracaded her way. "Let's get out of here, you know go do something," Hyuna plastered a fake smile as Fei nodded.

"Yeah this dance is way lame. So let's get out of here," Fei caught hold of her arm and began to pull her away.

"No! Both of you stop acting stupid! I'm not going anywhere," she pushed past the two looking around for her so called date. "I'm gonna kill..."

"Seunghyun! You shouldn't have," a girlish squealed causing everyone including Minzy to look. 

"Babe I love you and I want everyone to see it. Will you be my girl and take this promise ring," he grinned as he held out a silver band to Bom. 

"Yes," she cried before leaping into his arms as the crowded cheered and clapped. Bom laughed happily as she held him tight before smirking over to Minzy. "I win," she mouthed before smashing her lips against Seunghyun's. 

Minzy stood crushed and defeated as she tried to shake off Fei and Hyuna who kept trying to pull her away, "Minzy...Minzy...Minzy!"

 

She quickly snapped up to see Zelo smiling at her, "Hey you! Were you having a bad dream?"

Reality set in as she sighed and yon, "Yeah you could say that. How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay, my head hurts a little but nothing major," he shrugged.

"That's good to hear, do you want me to get you something to eat?"

"Oh good, you both are awake. The doctor would like to talk to both of you. I'll go page him," the nurse popped in and quickly popped out.

"Maybe we can get something to eat after we leave," she suggested before the doctor came in.

"Well good morning to the both of you. I have good news and bad, which would you like first?"

"Good," Zelo quickly replied.

"According to your x-rays you only have bruises, no fractures." The pair nodded for him to go on as they prepared for the worst. "Bad news is, we've ran a couple of tests just to make sure and the results were all the same. Zelo you have brain tumors. Lucky this incident happened sooner than later because you could have possibly ended up dead."

"Wait did you say brain tumors with a S as in there's more than one," Minzy squeaked in disbelief.

The doctor nodded as he continued, "Yes and we need to get started as soon as we can before it spreads. It seems that the tumors are growing and spreading rapidly. It will probably take a couple of surgeries but I think if we can get started as soon as possible we can slow the growth..."

Minzy's head was spinning as she tried to wrap her head around all the bad news that seemed to keep pouring out of the doctor's mouth. Feeling a hand squeeze her own, she glanced to see her brother giving her a half grin, "Minzy?"

"Hmm?"

"Sorry doctor can you please give us some time to think this over and talk this out," Zelo smiled. The doctor nodded in understanding, leaving the two alone. "Minzy are you okay?"

She coughed a laugh as she felt her forehead starting to throb, "I...I...this has got to be a ing joke!" Tears started to well up in her eyes, "That's the worse ing news ever!'

She began to sob, as she was pulled against her brother's chest, "Minzy it's okay. It's okay we'll figure it out." She bit down on her lower lip as a million thoughts came racing in her mind. All of the worst case scenarios and future hardships hit her all at once. Overwhelmed, she didn't realize how hard she was crying and shaking uncontrollably. "Minzy...please calm down," he whispered down to her as he held her tight. "Don't worry we'll figure this out."

His voice pulled her back to reality as she held him tightly, burying her face into his chest, "Zelo I won't give up on you, so you better not give up on me. You got it?! We're going to fight this together. No matter what the cost I will save you."

"I know you will," he said confidently. "You always have."

 

 

Minzy had rushed to get their mother to the hospital to sign all legal documents to start the procedures for Zelo's surgeries. But before she let her mother walk into the hospital she took the opportunity to clarify the situation to her mother. "You are going to go in there and be the mother that Zelo deserves! I want you to show him that you will go above and beyond to make sure he is okay. No matter what the cost, you make sure it happens!"

"But how are we going to afford all these surgeries?! Do you intend to make us live in the streets?! I can't live on the streets," her mother squeaked.

"Getting ed up by a man that cheats on you, you call that living?! Do something worth living for for once. Save my brother, your son!"

"Even if I try, how are we going to come up with the money?! Your father won't give up that much money for him," her mother continued to complain.

"Figure it out, I'll try to come up with something. But you better come up with something on your end," Minzy said through gritted teeth being frustrated that her mother couldn't sense the urgency for all the surgeries. 

Sighing her mother made her way towards the hospital as she took off. Minzy sped back home, rushing into the house and straight to her parents room. Finding her father's safe, she quickly put in the combination her father had rambled off in his drunken state. Revealing the content inside, she was impressed at how much her father had been stashing away. Jewelry, bank statements, a gun, other documents, but most importantly the stacks of cash.

"I knew he was loaded, but I didn't know he was this loaded," she grinned as she stuffed bundles into her pockets and bra.

"What the hell are you doing in my room," her father growled causing her to jump as she was exiting.

"I...had to get something for mom in the closet. I guess I couldn't find it so yeah..." She maneuvered around him booking it to the front door.

"And where is that ," her father yelled after her before she closed the door.

Ignoring his question and yelling, she hopped into her car and drove away. Taking out her phone she bit her lower lip as she dialed a number she thought she would never have to use, "Hello?" Hearing the line being picked up, she quickly spoke up before the person could hang up. "Hey I need a huge favor, can you meet me somewhere?"

There came a soft sigh as if it wasn't what he was expecting to hear, "I can't meet you in public. We need to meet somewhere secluded and by yourself."

"Alright..." she replied and scribbled down an unknown address. Hanging up, she entered it into her phone to see it lead her to some abandoned warehouse. Frowning at the appointed location, she began to follow the directions from her phone before she could change her mind. 

 

Glancing around nervously, she hated the fact that she was in such a place. But this was the cost she was willing to pay for her brother. "Long time no see," a voice echoed as she snapped her head to the side to see a figure make its way into the light. "How have you been Minzy? To think you've forgotten me," he smirked as he flicked his cigarette to the ground and cooly smashed and kicked it.

"How can I forget you? You tainted me and opened my eyes to how cruel this world is," she spoke coldly.

"Babe I saved your life! I gave you everything that a girl could ask for and more but it wasn't good enough to match your sick puppy love with that little boy...what was his name? Does he know he wasn't the first to have you yet?"

"You make it sound as if you were that great of a kisser! And sadly for you, you weren't my first either," she said smugly.

"I see you at least have my arrogance left with you, which I find very y," he smirked. "Did you come for a round two?"

She coughed a laugh and reached into her bra and pockets tossing the stacks of cash at his feet, "You wish! No, I just need you to make a donation to a sick child in the hospital. If I can remember you had great acting skills."

" don't play with me! I act for a living," he spoke somewhat offended.

She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms across her chest, "Work on your fake crying, that last movie you were in was far too dramatic and feminine. If I were that woman I would've thought you hadn't gone through puberty yet."

"That was pure genius! It wasn't dramatic it was heart felt," he growled.

"Sure if you knew what it felt like to have a heart," she shrugged.

He coughed a laugh before glaring at her, "I don't have to take this from you! You were the one who called me and must I remind you that you were the one who broke my heart!"

"Really?! You knew we were just messing around with each other! You said it yourself no strings attached since you'd be a big hot shot and all! So I'm asking you as someone who isn't at your high level to do me this favor. Please, just donate this money and take it as a free charity ride for publicity."

He sighed as he thought about her offer, "Well..."

"Please, I've never asked you for a favor but I need this!"

"I don't know Minzy, how can I pull this off?"

"Please! Set up an event to visit the hospital and act so touched to see one patient fighting for his life and offer to pay for his treatment. I don't know just please! I...I can't let my brother die! He's too young and pure. Please don't make me beg," she looked at him with pleading eyes.

He sighed as he looked away, "! I hate how I still can't say no to you."

Tears of joy spilled out of her eyes as she ran into his arms, "Thank you! No matter how bad your acting is, you're not too bad of a guy."

"Wow only you can compliment someone like that," he chuckled as he held her tight.

Minzy felt as if a burden was lifted off her shoulders as she drove away from the warehouse. Her phone went off and she smiled to see it was Jiyong. "Hey you."

"Minzy are you okay?! I've been worried sick about you. I couldn't wait any longer for your call."

She smiled at hearing the concern in his voice, "No everything is fine. Everything is going to be okay now."

He sighed deeply into the phone as if he had been holding his breath, "Good. Could I possibly see you tonight if you're up for it?"

"Yeah, sure. We can go out for some drinks since I didn't come to that party last night," she suggested.

"Sounds like a plan. I found this amazing club that I think you'd like. I'll pick you up just send me your address."

"Okay pick me up around nine?"

"Alright, see you then," he said before hanging up.

 

Minzy went to check up on her brother to see that the doctor's had planned to do the first surgery tomorrow. Annoyed at how exhausting it was in instructing her mother on taking care of her brother, it was needed to keep her mother from worrying about their father. "Where you going," her mother whispered loudly as Zelo lay fast asleep.

"I'll be back. Take care of my brother while I'm gone and give me your phone. I don't want you chickening out on us and telling dad where you are," she took her mother's cell phone before reassuring her that she'd be okay.

 

 

Minzy knew better than to go home as she waited at Hyuna's house. Liking the silver strapless mini dress, she did touch ups as Hyuna and Fei lay on the bed still a little hung over. "Minzy you really missed out on the party. Jiyong is super wild when he's drunk," both girls chuckled.

"I know, you two must be a match made in heaven since he's already geared up and ready to go out again. Two alcoholics going out together. I wonder who will win," Fei tried to imagine it.

"Fei don't be silly Minzy of course! She isn't the drinking queen for nothing," Hyuna nudged her friend. 

Minzy sighed at her friend's silly arguement, "Alright you two that's enough. Now how do I look? I want to look ready to party, but not anything past second base, third base is reserved if he can beat me in drinking." The three laughed as she did a little spin.

"Perfect, he'll be trying to get in your in no time," Hyuna teased before a pillow was tossed at her face.

"! He's not getting anything but wasted! We're only friends and I wanna keep it that way," Minzy said as she continued to look at herself through the mirror in different angles.

"You sure have lots of guy friends that are willing and ready for you. But sadly..."

"You're stuck on a dumb ," Fei shook her head as she finished Hyuna's sentence. "Seriously Minzy! We need some serious intervention."

"If he knows what's good for him, he'll take you to the prom," Hyuna spoke as she began examining her nails.

Before Minzy could counter their comments her phone began to light up and vibrate. All three rushed to the window to see a car in front of the house. "Gotta go, we'll carry this conversation on at school on Monday!"

"What the hell?! Are you two planning on getting wasted for two days straight?!"

She shook her head as she reached for a small hand bag, "No I'm gonna go get so wasted that I won't be able to walk the next day!" The girls cheered her on and bid their farewells before she made her way out to the car.

"Hey," she breathed as she jumped into the car.

"Hey you! Are you ready for tonight," he smiled. She nodded as she pointed forward eager to get the party started.

 

 

Minzy chuckled quietly as she saw the club they were pulling up to. Of course it had to be the one she was a regular at. At least he had good taste in picking clubs. This was one of the best in town. "C'mon I heard there's this person that holds a drinking record here and I want to try and beat it," he smiled determined to be the new winner.

"Alright," she grinned knowingly as to who this winner was.

"Hey Minzy," one of the guards waved for her to come up. "Oh you brought new company?"

"Is Se7en working tonight," he nodded as he waved for them to pass the line and head into the club. 

"Yeah later," he glanced over to Jiyong before giving her a concerned look.

Shaking her head she smiled as she patted Jiyong's arm, "He's a friend! Do me a favor and don't tell him I'm here. Please?!" He sighed as he nodded letting the pair in.

"Who's Se7en," Jiyong nearly shouted trying to over power the music.

She shrugged it off as if she didn't hear his question, making her way to the bar, "Hey stranger!"

"Damn Minzy long time no see," the bar tender teased as he prepared two shot glasses for her.

"I brought a friend that wants to try and beat the drinking record," she smiled at him.

The bar tender laughed as he glanced over to Jiyong, "I'm not sure you can handle it. The record holder didn't do it on purpose. She drinks like that all the time. She is the only one able to beat her own record."

"She," Jiyong said amazed.

Minzy laughed as she took both shot glasses, "Shut up! She just can't help the fact that she has so many bad days!"

"Excuses! Excuses! You always have bad days," the bar tender teased.

"Hey I really do! Stop being so judgemental and let my friend get ing wasted!"

"Wait...Minzy you hold the drinking record here," Jiyong pieced the conversation together.

"It's nothing to be proud of, but yeah I can hold my liquor."

"She drinks like it's water," the bar tender added.

She sighed as she downed the two shots, "You're lucky you're my favorite bar tender because I'd seriously feel like ing you up right now. Now please send me two more before you start his shots!"

"Coming right up," he chuckled at Jiyong who stood bewildered.

"Let's go dance," she swayed her hips with a shot in each hand.

The two had a night full of laughter as Jiyong threw up before he could hit her record. "I told you! Now Minzy please do us the honors of cleaning your friend's vomit!" He nodded for her to make her way to the back to grab the mop and cleaning supplies.

"Excuse me I need those," someone called after her as she was making her way out.

"I'll bring them back," she glanced back to see Seunghyun. "Seunghyun?!"

"Minzy," both called out each other's name at the same time. She stood staring at him confused. He seemed to be dressed in some kind of jump suit, "Uh...what are you doing back here?"

"Did you finally throw up trying to beat your record," he teased. "Here I'll clean it for you," he smiled as he walked up to take the items for her.

"No it's okay, I got it. But really what are you doing back here dressed like that," she pointed to his jump suit.

"My family is kind of going through a rough patch. Figured I'd get a part time job to help out," he shrugged.

She grinned knowing how helpful Seunghyun was when it came to his family, "That's nice of you. But you can go back to doing what you were doing. I got it, it was my friend so yeah..."

"No worries, c'mon I'll help you," he walked out to the club. Sighing, she followed him out to see Jiyong sandwiched between two girls as he was cheering with a drink in his hand. Shaking her head, she noticed Seunghyun glaring at him.

"Minzy come and dance with me! I think there's some room in the middle of this sandwhich," he called out to her.

"No you go ahead. I have some cleaning to do," she waved for him to carry on.

"I told you I didn't like that guy," Seunghyun stood still glaring over at him.

Grabbing the mop she went to work, "I have my friends and you have yours."

"Minzy that's not fair. Bom is a good person. If you could only take the time to see that."

"Why do you need my approval so badly?!" She paused as she looked at him, "I hate that end of story! If you want to get my approval of dating her think again!" He stood with a look of disbelief on his face, "I don't even know why we're having this conversation when you don't even get it!"

"Get what? What am I supposed to get," he asked as he spread his arms out wide.

Minzy marched right up to him and glared up into his piercing black eyes. They were like black precious pearls that held all her secrets, at least that was what she thought. Placing a hand gently onto his cheek, a grin started to form at the corner of her lips as he placed his strong hand over hers. Using her free hand, she hooked it around his neck and brought him down as she tip toed up to meet him half way. Kissing him with driven passion as she felt him starting to participate. It was as if all her worries of the world had left her at that moment. There was nothing and no one that could destroy their moment of happiness.

"Seunghyun," someone called out interrupting Minzy's heavenly experience. Breaking a part the pair stared deep into each other's eyes, giving each other a knowing look. Both felt something unexplainable, both felt something that had been missing for quite some time now. "Seunghyun," the voice sounded almost like a pleading cry. They both turned to see Se7en, Jiyong, and the owner to the voice Bom standing there. "What's going on?! How could you Seunghyun?! You promised me," Bom cried before she ran off to have Seunghyun quickly follow after her, leaving Se7en and Jiyong awaiting an explanation from Minzy.

But she shook her head as she finished cleaning the mess before quickly retreating to the back. Bursting through the back doors, she let out a loud gasp as if she had been holding her breath. Punching the nearest brick wall, she screamed as she fell on her knees covering her face in shame. She was confused and most of all hurt as the pain of a broken heart started to sink deep into her core. Tears spilled freely into her hands as she felt weak and helpless. This was nothing like her. She was Minzy for crying out loud, the toughest in town! Yet here she was, pathetically crying over a guy. A guy who she had given her heart to countless times to have it broken time and time again. Screaming into her hands that had collected a puddle of her tears, she took a deep breath before rising to her feet. Wiping her watery eyes, she was met by both Jiyong and Se7en. "Let's get you home," Jiyong walked up to her.

But she held out her hand to stay him for the fear of crumbling at his touch, "I'm okay."

"Minzy let him take you home will you," Se7en pleaded.

Shaking her head she walked past them, "I'm not going to let him ruin what's left of my night. C'mon Jiyong, let the champion of drinking show you how it's done."

 

Minzy could've sworn that the bar tender was only passing her water, as she still felt the pain. There was no numbness, no light headedness, in fact it only intensified her feelings making her fully aware of what was going on around her. "Pass me the ing bottle please! I feel like you're cheating me," she pounded her fist into the counter top.

" Minzy, I think you've had enough for everyone in this club to go around three times! I think you've had enough," Jiyong tried to grab the bottle away from her, but he himself was too drunk to respond fast enough.

Snatching the bottle, she drank straight from the bottle with no restraint, "Shut the up you light weight!" As the club was closing, Minzy held a bottle of vodka in one hand and Jiyong on the other. He was beyond drunk, barely able to hold his head up or walk straight.

"Minzy wait up," Se7en a caught up with the two. "Let me take you guys home. Please Minzy."

She shrugged indifferent to his concerned eyes. Following Se7en to his car, she led Jiyong to the back seat before making her way to the front with her bottle in hand. Kissing the bottle she chuckled as she gulped down a mouth full "Thank God for alcohol," she held the bottle up as Se7en jumped in.

"I on the other hand wonder how you'll ever survive without it," he teased as he started up the car. "Where am I taking the two of you?"

"Just drop us off at Hyuna's house. I'll leave this er at her house and I can go get my car and head to the hospital," she explained. 

"Why are you heading to the hospital? Are you going to get your stomach pumped," he teased. 

She shrugged as she gazed out the window, "You know, God intends to take every good thing away from me."

"That makes no sense," he chuckled as he thought she was too wasted.

But she meant every word she said as she sat staring out into the night sky. Every good thing was coming to an end in her life and there was no possible way to stop it. She kept her thoughts to herself as responded with another sip from the bottle.