19.

Strong Willed

Minzy put everything in her life on hold as she pulled herself together for the various exams. Taking things in her own hands, she stopped showing up to tutoring and told her teacher that she was able to do things on her own. She also kept her phone off, ignoring anyone and everyone. Any down time she had, she used that time and energy to study. Disciplining herself and staying focused on studying and Zelo kept her motivated and most importantly sane. Closing her notebook, she sighed content and ready for her last exam. She thought about how easy her life had been the last few weeks without the social aspect in her life. Though it was a bit strange to see Seunghyun act differently and keep his distance, she figured it was for the best. Getting up on her feet, she packed her items lying in the grass and walked to Zelo's window and hopped through. Seeing the time, she decided to throw on some sweats and go out to reward herself.

Minzy popped her ear buds in and listened to her music as she began to stroll down the busy packed streets. Walking through the crowds of people, she was grateful not being noticed or seeing anyone familiar. To others it would feel lonely, but to her it felt good not being looked at for once. All she wanted to do was blend in and enjoy the scenery as she listened to her music. Was it too much to ask? And on cue that question was answered as she was waiting to cross the street to see none other than Bom and Seunghyun hand in hand. Seeing the pair smiling and then laugh as if there wasn't a care in the world, she clenched her fists. The light quickly turned for them to cross and Seunghyun turned and connected eyes with her. The two stood for a split second staring at each other with mixed feelings, before Minzy turned the other way and pulled her hoodie up over her head to walk away quickly. Though she had started to walk away quickly, she found herself in a dead sprint. Running as fast as she could, she let the music carry her throughout the streets until she stumbled upon one of her favorite bars. Grinning, she came to a stop and walked in without a care that she was in sweats and probably sweating like a dog.

"Damn what the hell happened to you," the bar tender teased as she took a seat at the bar.

"Life, now can I get a drink?"

"Of course you can," he nodded as he tossed down a shot glass knowing what she liked to start the night with.

Feeling calm and relaxed, she thanked the bar tender before exiting to run into someone. "Sor..." she stopped when she saw it was none other than Seunghyun with her favorite enemy Bom. She stopped mid way and kept walking as Seunghyun tried to call after her. But she only kept walking and placing her ear buds back in to block out his summoning.

 

Academically Minzy was on top of her game. She had aced all of her tests with flying colors, received many great letters of recommendations, full ride scholarship and received acceptance letters to all the top schools of her choice. Now there was her scholarship ceremony followed by graduation and she'll be able to finally move on with her life. That was her game plan as she finished the last loose curl before taking a good look at herself. Minzy was formally dressed in a black fitted gown with black heels to match and her hair style and makeup natural and classy looking.

She repeated a few lines she had written for her short speech before she heard her father shouting for her, "Let's go!"

She ignored his nagging as she turned to look at her unconscious brother, "What do you think? I'm nervous to meet the family who will be helping me and mentoring me through college. They've been great at keeping in contact and supporting me. I just hope they like me." Minzy had quickly replied to accept her scholarship and through various emails throughout the past few weeks to the head donor, she felt as like he was a great mentor with his advice and support through her exams. "Well wish me luck," she said to her brother as she kissed his forehead before heading out.

 

Minzy was nervous as she walked into the ballroom with her father crutching next to her. It was odd that her father actually dressed up and came out to support her. He would rather be at home with his best friend alcohol over anything else, but he insisted that he her to the ceremony. Surprised by his actions, she couldn't refuse such an offer and allowed him to be her . Taking a deep breath, she walked into the ballroom ready to meet the family that will be helping her throughout college. "Name," the host asked as Minzy was too busy looking in to see a crowd of people that she wasn't expecting.

"Gong Minzy," she answered as the host asked once again.

"Gong Minzy our guest of honor! Follow me this way," the host smiled and lead them through the crowd of people who seem to recognize her father.

"Why are they all looking at you," Minzy whispered loudly through her teeth at her father.

He faked a smile and nodded to the people they passed, "Because they respect me."

"Why," she asked before the host came to a stop.

"Mr. Park our guest of honor has arrived," the host said before stepping out of the way.

Minzy plastered a big smile on her face to greet this great man who had become like a guiding light through her studies, "Mr. Park..." She paused seeing who stood beside him and felt her heart drop seeing none other than Bom.

"Minzy welcome! I feel like you've become a daughter to me," Mr. Park said as he walked to her and embraced her. "I've been excited to finally meet you. And you know my daughter Bom right?"

"Uh...yeah," Minzy nodded to Bom before Seunghyun appeared by her side.

"Sorry I'm late," Seunghyun said as he planted a kiss on Bom's cheek before looking to see Minzy. "Minzy..."

"Seunghyun nice to see you," Minzy's father gave him a hard gaze before turning his gaze to Mr. Park. "Thank you for this great opportunity and taking my daughter under your wing. We didn't expect it to be this big of an event."

"Well of course it is. Your daughter deserves such an event after all that we've talked about," Mr. Park nudged Minzy on the arm as he winked. "I'm so glad that I'm finally meeting you."

"Thanks," she simply said as she began to piece together her situation.

 

Minzy found herself out on the balcony of the ballroom and stood looking out at the starry night. She had gone through the ceremony and walked around greeting and thanking people. Even if she wanted to leave after that she couldn't. The party was thrown for her sake and now knowing the true nature of her father coming. He would throw a fit if she would try to leave. Apparently Mr. Park so happened to be his boss and her father had a high position on top of that. Sighing to herself at the fact that Mr. Park was Bom's father, she wondered how such an amazing man could have such a weak daughter. Pushing that thought aside she figured the best solution at the moment was to stay hidden on the balcony, out of sight out of mind. Leaning upon the railing, she didn't realize the presence of someone else approaching her, "It's a beautiful night tonight."

She grinned and nodded, "Yes it is."

"Why aren't you out on the dance floor? I made sure the dj played the latest hits and that there was enough refreshments to last until tomorrow," Mr. Park teased as he danced goofy.

She laughed as she bobbed her head, "The music and food is great."

"But you're not feeling great," he asked as he walked next to her.

She went quiet and diverted his gaze, "Mr. Park I'm not so sure I can take this scholarship."

"Why is that," he looked shock at the sudden turn in conversation. 

She went quiet again not knowing if she should answer truthfully or come up with an excuse. "I..."

"Minzy would you feel the same way if Bom wasn't my daughter or if I wasn't your father's boss," he boldly asked.

Her gaze dropped as she folded her arms across her chest, "I don't want to say that I'm not grateful, because I am. I just want a future, a change and if I accept this scholarship I don't think I can have that."

Now it was Mr. Park's turn to go quiet as he stood staring at her, "Minzy will you look me in the eyes and repeat what you said please?"

Minzy bit her lower lips before she slowly looked in the eyes, "I...uh...I'm grateful for this opportunity. But..." She felt her eyes water as she thought of how hard she had worked to get here and how close she had grown to Mr. Park from all his encouraging words and advice throughout the weeks. "But I want a future and if I accept this scholarship I don't think I can have that."

Mr. Park grinned before he walked up to her and took her in his arms hugging her tightly, "Minzy I promise that our relationship isn't biased in any way. I see you for who you are..."

"Who am I," Minzy mumbled more so towards herself.

"Promise me you'll give me a chance," he asked pulling away as he looked at her.

Turnin her gaze away, Minzy inhaled deeply, "I would be lying to you if I said yes." Trying her best to stay strong, she glanced back towards him, "But I respect you too much to do so. I apologize for the inconvience and especially wasting your precious time. Please understand, I will be bowing out. I cannot take the scholarship."

Mr. Park stood quietly, causing Minzy to feel a bit nervous, "Minzy if you truly respected me you would take the scholarship. The respect goes both ways, I respect you enough to not allow you to throw away a great opportunity for a better future all due to your pride. Don't let your pride steal this moment away from you. Do this for yourself or more importantly do this for your brother."

Minzy gasped as she felt a hard thud against her chest from his blunt words. She was speechless, as she stood staring at him in disbelief. Through her many conversations with Mr. Park she had become very attatched to emailing him that of course Zelo would come up. He was the main motivation in her essasy and in her wanting a better future. She wanted a better life for her brother. "I...will find...another way," she forced the words out.

"We have a better relationship than this. But if that is what you want it's already too late. You signed the papers and made it offical. You can't back out of a contract," Mr. Park spoke like a true business man.

"I...please Mr. Park..."

He raised his hand to stop her, "You leave me no choice. I have to put my foot down and draw the line. As a business man I see this as a great investment that I'm willing to see through."

"Then...at least make me earn it! I don't want to be handed the money just because I wrote a heart felt essay," Minzy said out of frustration.

"Earn it?"

"Yes, let me work for you over the Summer before I go to school in the Fall," she stubbornly said.

Mr. Park thought about her offer before grinning, "I feel like I'm getting the better end of the stick."

"I'm getting work experience," Minzy smugly said.

"Ah...smart girl," he chuckled before he extended his hand out to her. "We have a deal, but I expect you to keep me in the loop with school and life just like you have been in our emails."

"Yes sir," she grinned as she accepted his hand.

Minzy did her best as the guest of honor to make her rounds and talking to the different people there. She figured this was a great opportunity for her to get ahead start in getting to know the various people there, which she assumed that were people from the company. Doing so she was surprised to hear and see so many people that respected and even loved her father. Her father of all people was receiving praise of all his hard work and dedication to his job that she wondered if they were all talking about her father or some stranger.

"Excuse me miss," someone called her attention from behind.

She quickly turned and was surprised to be met by a strikingly handsome young man. He looked rugged and tough with his tall stature and broad shoulders, and his baby face looked like it was featured in a top model magazine. "Uh...yes," she smiled trying to hold herself together.

He slightly bowed his head and gave her a crooked grin that made her knees buckle, "Sorry for interrupting but I just had to come and introduce myself before you escaped me again."

"Escaped you again," she looked at him curiously.

He nodded and his grin spread across his face like a ray of sun light, "Yes, you disappeared as the dance started and I don't want to sound like a creeper. But I just wanted to congradulate you and let you know how much I appreciate your father..."

It was at that moment that she lost interest in the conversation, "Oh really? Well thanks for coming to say hi..."

"Wait I'm not finished yet," he raised his hand to stay her. "Your father saved my life. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be here today..."

Minzy didn't mean to be rude, but she was a bit annoyed by all the compliments her father was getting. Acting somewhat interested in the conversation, she gazed around and noticed that her father seemed to be the life of the party. He was the center of attention in the group of men he was standing with. He seemed so care free and relaxed that it was just too gross to watch. She sighed and shook her head, "You know what, I'm truly sorry but I'm not feeling too well."

"Oh of course, go ahead," the guy was super polite even though she was far from that at the moment.

Minzy walked out of the ballroom and out of the building as she headed to the car. Popping off her heels, she hopped onto the trunk of the car and laid back. Letting the music echo towards her, she laid staring up at the night sky trying to clear her mind. This night was supposed to relieve her of her many stressors, not add onto them.

"Minzy," a familiar voice called out to her.

"Go the away," she grumbled as she stayed still.

"Not until you hear me out," Seunghyun said as he moved closer to the car.

"Come any closer and I'll rip your balls off," she warned.

 He sighed as he stopped moving, "Alright, alright."

"Say what you have to and leave so I can move on with my life," she sighed knowing very well she couldn't stop him from talking.

"I know this isn't the time or place to say this..."

"Then why say it," she coughed a laugh and rolled her eyes as he continued.

"But I want you to know that I love you and it will always be you," he blurted out.

She lay confused and caught off guard as she slowly sat up to look at him, "Huh?" Seunghyun boldly walked up to her and crashed his lips against hers. Kissing her roughly with new found passion that Minzy hadn't felt in such a long time. She became lost and lost all resolve as she melted into the kiss. Kissing him with the same amount of intensity, she lived for the moment and enjoyed the feel of his tongue running along her strawberry glossed lips. But it was only a moment as the thoughts of a make out in the dark parking lot compared to Bom who seemed to flaunt him left and right as her boyfriend. "Get the away from me," she hissed as she pushed him away and began to walk off.

"No," he simply answered as he took hold of her wrist to stop her. "I won't let you go..."

Minzy took the chance to turn and face him as she glared hard at him before yanking her arm away from him, "See that's the problem with you, you're so damn selfish!"

"Why do you think we were so good together?! Minzy I need you. You complete me and I see that now," he spoke with conviction.

"Why," she asked as she looked him up and down. "Why all of a sudden do you see me?"

"I..." he paused as his gaze dropped to the ground. "I'm...gonna be a father."

Minzy stood in awe as she watched Seunghyun slump his shoulders forward and cry. She didn't know what to say. She was at loss for words as she saw how broken and confused he looked. She knew what this meant. He wasn't going to follow his dreams of becoming a professional basketball player and becoming an adult was coming sooner than later. All the compassion and sympathy she felt as a friend overwhelmed her as she walked up to him and embraced him. Hugging him tightly she bit her lower lip as she felt him cry hard onto her shoulder. She had never seen him cry this hard before. It was something new and unfamiliar as he clung to her as if his life depended on it. She could hear the whimper of pain and wondered how long he had been holding all this in.

Minzy quietly drove him home in his car, walking Seunghyun into his room, she helped him into his bed and pulled up his covers before she turned to leave. "Wait...Minzy please don't leave me. Please stay with me," Seunghyun huffed through his tears. She stood there staring at Seunghyun so broken and couldn't deny him. Without a word, she sat next to him on the bed. In doing so, Seunghyun took her hand in his trembling one and held it tight. "Can you please lay here with me? I know you will give the strength to make it through the night." Sighing, she found herself lying in his bed and his arms wrapping securely around her. His face soon was buried into her hair and his hot breath brushing down her neck as he cried his apologizes to her throughout the night. 

Minzy lay quietly as she listened to Seunghyun's breath fall evenly as he slept. She had let him cry his heart out to her, even falling asleep she had heard his mumbled apologizes to her. Seeing the sky starting to light up, she slowly shifted out of his grasp and made her way out of his room. As she walked out of the house, she shivered at the cool breeze that hit her. Folding her arms over her chest, she walked down the side walk deep in thought despite the fact that she looked a bit crazy walking so early in the morning in a formal fitted dress. She found herself plopping down on a park bench as she silently watched the sun rise. Closing her eyes as the light blinded her, she inhaled deeply before exhaling what sounded like a cry for help. As her head dropped, so did the tears and she wondered what the hell was going with her life. How was she stuck in such a mess? Hugging herself as she buried her head in her lap, she cried as she felt like a piece of her heart was being ripped out slowly from her chest. Before the crowds of people started to fill the streets, she quickly made her way home. Avoiding the glares and yelling as she walked into Zelo's room, she locked the door before snuggling next to Zelo. Wrapping her arms around his waist, she bit her lower lip before burying her face into his chest. Crying quietly she didn't want her father thinking he was the reason for the tears.

 

It took every little bit of strength she had to push herself up and out of bed. Though everything seemed to take a lot of energy for her to accomplish before school, she pushed herself to follow through. Even giving her mother a daily scold to keep it together long enough for her return from school, she was some how pushing through it all. That just seemed like the theme of her day as she went to her classes doing her best to stay focused. But she didn't realize just how much strength she was lacking that day as she ran into Seunghyun. "Minzy hey...could we talk real quick," he asked with uncertainty as if he expected her to say no. She wanted to out right say no, looking into his eyes they begged for her to say other wise. Not saying a word, she shrugged as she followed him out under the tree they had long ago spent talking about all sorts of things. "I just want to thank you. You didn't need to hear me out but you did so thank you," he half grinned sadly. 

Crossing her arms over her chest she nodded, "Okay...is that all?"

He shrugged as he reached up to scratch the back of his head, "Uh...I guess..."

"Good then let me thank you. Thank you for letting me know that we are truly over..." she paused as the words started to pour out quicker than her mind could truly grasp. "I won't stand in you or Bom's way anymore..."

"But..."

"But I ask you in return to do the same for me. Please let me go because I...I'm going to let you go as well."

"So this is it between us," he coughed in disbelief as the tears spilled over. 

"Please pretend as though we are mere strangers," she added.

He felt as if she had slapped him across the face, "Strangers?! You've been a part of most of my life!"

"It's not just your life we're talking about. The more I think of it, it's because of that I can't be friends with you."

"You're not making any sense!"

"I'll be clearing out everything you gave me or that reminds me of you this weekend. If you'd like, you can come by..."

"You've got it all figured out," he angrily cut her off as he wipped the tears away. "I'm no longer good enough for you is that it," he started to shout. "Huh?!"

She pressed her lips tightly together as she stood staring at him, "Are you done?"

He coughed a laugh in disbelief, "No, but apparently you are."

"Seunghyun I understand that you're upset, but you have no right to yell at me." Pausing, she walked up to him and tip toed up to lightly kiss his cheek before she whispered, "I love you enough to let you go. Good luck in life."  

 

Minzy had no close friends, but she still remained on top. Everyone still feared her as she put anyone and everyone in check who tried to put her down. Fei being one of the main ones trying to bring her down by buddying up with Bom. Fei acted like she and Bom had always been best friends and even helped Bom become one of the girls to fear at school. "Minzy," Fei coughed a laugh as she flipped her hair at Minzy as Bom and her walked past. 

Minzy only rolled her eyes, "Fei grow up and start using the conditioner I told you about because your split ends are getting worse."

The crowd began laughing at Fei, causing her to come to a stop, "What did you say to me?"

Minzy coughed a laugh as she flipped her hair at her and walked away, "Don't play deaf you heard me." She grinned to herself as she felt proud with her witty comments. Though she was alone, it was alright. 

"Minzy...hey Minzy," someone called her as she was leaving.

She turned to see Hyuna running up to her, "Huh?"

"Hey Minzy, I just...I just wanted to invite you to the graduation party I'm throwing after graduation at my house," Hyuna smiled as she handed her an invitation. 

She didn't know what to say as she took the invitation, "Umm..."

"I know we're in the middle of all this drama, but you know we planned on throwing a graduation party since forever," Hyuna smiled at the memories they shared as young girls. "You don't have to come if you don't want to, but I just want you to know that I don't have any issues with you." 

Minzy couldn't help but grin, "Okay thanks Hyuna."

"But I do hope to see you there," Hyuna smiled before she turned to leave. Looking at the invitation in her hand, she couldn't believe that she was going to be graduating next week. Tucking it in her belongings, she looked at her phone and smiled as she saw that there was an email from Mr. Park. Though she was alone she didn't feel so with the encouragement that she continued to receive from her mentor. He was like a guiding light that was helping her through these dark times of uncertainty. Mr. Park helped her stay grounded in school and kept to his word with staying unbiased towards her when it came to Bom. 

 

Graduation being just a few days away Minzy couldn't help but be feeling a bit overwhelmed. She considered time and time again if she would walk with her class and join in the ceremony or to just receive her diploma in the mail. The ceremony was meaningless to her at this point and time. There was no one she really wanted to walk down with or for. She no longer had her so called best friends, boyfriend, and the one person that was her main motivator lay unconscious. But at the same time even if there wasn't a single soul there for her, she wanted to walk down to get her diploma for herself. She wanted to enjoy the joyous actions of walking to receive living proof of her hard work over the years, especially over the last couple of months. 

Minzy sent an email to Mr. Park of her thoughts about participating in the graduation ceremony in the library during her lunch break before heading to class. In doing so, she ran into Bom and did her best to ignore her. "," Bom hissed as she was passing and she couldn't resist.

Pivoting on one foot, she turned and plastered a fake smile, "You should look up the definition to that because that fits your description perfectly but you don't see me calling you that. Why? Because unlike you I have class. Look up that word as well you need some pointers on that."

"You're such a ," Bom spit hatefully.

"Awe you're too nice," Minzy placed her hand over her chest as if she received such a sweet compliment. 

"It's no wonder why Seunghyun left you," Bom spat right back.

Minzy sighed as she shook her head, "No sweet heart we both know the real story. I left him. Now have a nice day and let your father know I said hi." Winking at her, she coughed a laugh as she walked away. 

 

As Minzy pondered on the graduation ceremony on her drive home, she noticed that her father was home early. Sighing as she had to deal with the screaming and yelling sooner than later, she made her way into the house and heard sobbing. Pausing as she heard the sobbing was that of her father's, she wondered why he was the one in tears. "Please...I'm sorry," he cried as if begging.

"I want you to beg more," her mother growled as a loud gun shot rang out.

Minzy jumped as she turned to see her father being shot in the leg by her mother, "Mom!"

Her mother turned and pointed the gun at her with a glare, "What Minzy?! What the do you want?!"

"Why are you doing this," Minzy slowly raised her hands up and started to move towards her. 

"Don't you ing come any closer," her mother growled as she shook the gun at her. 

Stopping in her tracks she tried to calm her pounding heart. This was the first time she's ever had a gun pointed at her. As much as she wanted to challenge her mother to do it, she knew she would be putting Zelo's life at stake too and she wasn't about to risk it. "Okay mom," Minzy spoke softly. "What's wrong?"

"I'm sick...and tired," her mother started to shake as she began to cry. 

"What are you sick and tired of," Minzy tried to ask with concern when she really wanted to wringe her mother's neck.

"All of this. I...I just want to end it," her mother said as she turned the gun to herself and pressed the gun against the side of her head. 

"No," Minzy growled. "Don't you ing dare do that," she snapped. Turning she marched to the front door and swung it wide open, "Just leave then! If you want to end all of this then ing leave and don't come back. We won't come looking for you and in return give me that gun and don't ever come back," Minzy shouted as she pointed towards the door."

"You always have the solution now don't you," her mother mocked through her tears as she kept the gun pointed at her head. 

But Minzy shook her head and with sadness looked deep into her mom's eyes, "No, I knew you would leave us some day. I just never wanted to believe it, so if you feel like we're holding you back I'm giving you this chance to leave now and have a clean and fresh start else where." 

The room went quiet as her mother stood and thought about what her daughter was saying, she then slowly lowered the gun and made her way to Minzy. Handing the gun to Minzy, she then reached up to cup her daughter's face in her trembling hands and examed her face as if trying to memorize her daughter's face before leaning forward and kissing her forehead. "I'm sorry I was never the mother you and Zelo deserved," she whispered before turning to walk out the door to leave and never look back as Minzy stood watching quietly as she watched her mother disappear out of her life. 

 

Author's Notes:

Meh I hope you guys don't mind the time jumping, like a couple days or weeks. I just like to get to the point and I know sometimes it's a bit fast but just know I'm doing my best with writing patiently. Thanks for reading and I'm enjoying all of your comments!