27.

Strong Willed

Minzy sat with Seunghyun's head in her lap as she and her father sat watching meaningless programs on tv. She didn't realize that she had been subconsciously running her fingers through Seunghyun's hair until she heard a soft hum. It was so subtle, it was only her that heard him as she gazed down to see his dark brown eyes flutter open. Brushing her fingers across his strong jaw to encourage him to come to, she grinned as his eyes adjusted. "Good morning sleeping beauty," she teased as she wiped at his eyes. 

"Morning," he mumbled with a smile across his lips. 

"Boy it's almost time for me to get back into bed, I don't know why you're just barely saying good morning," Mr. Gong grumbled as he flipped the channel. 

"Huh," Seunghyun yond as he pushed himself to sit up. "What do you mean? What time is it?" 

"Time for me to take you home after you help me get my father in bed," Minzy nodded standing on her feet and extending her hand out to him. 

Yonning, Seunghyun accepted her hand and moved up onto his feet, "Alright Mr. Gong let's get you to bed." 

"Okay captain," Mr. Gong sighed as he placed his hands into his lap and allowing Seunghyun to wheel him into his room. 

 

Minzy insisted on driving Seunghyun home, but he was firm on driving himself. Huffing out of frustration, she followed him home just in case. Pulling right behind him, she parked her car and hopped out, "I really don't need you to walk me to my door." 

Though he was right, he seemed fine, she walked past him heading towards the front door, "I actually want to talk with your mom." 

"My mom," he questioned as he opened the door. "Why do you want to talk with my mom?" 

"Why does she have to go through you to talk to me," Mrs. Choi chimed in as she came into view. 

"Mrs. Choi," Minzy sighed as she walked up and gave her a big hug. Inhaling her soft perfume, it was a vanilla scent. A scent that Minzy had dubbed as Mrs. Choi's smell. Grinning to herself, she pulled away to take a better look at Mrs. Choi, "I swear I just saw you last week but you look younger." 

Blushing sweetly, Mrs. Choi lightly patted her cheeks, "Thanks dear, Mr. Choi bought me this new spa kit that has worked wonders on me." 

Minzy chuckled at how girlish Mrs. Choi was acting, "You don't need that, honestly you're naturally young looking." 

"Did you come all this way to sweet talk my mom," Seunghyun shook his head and chuckled when he recieved a swat to his arm. 

Linking her arm through Mrs. Choi's, Minzy ignored his comment as she walked into the living room to take a seat on the couch. Snuggling tightly onto Mrs. Choi's arm, she leaned her head onto her shoulder and sighed. It had been so long since she had spent some time with Mrs. Choi. Thinking back on it, it was never awkward, in fact it was the complete opposite. It was in their time of supporting Seunghyun in his sports that Mrs. Choi and her developed the relationship that they had. Quietly sitting and thinking about their history together, she inwardly scolded herself for not coming by to see Mrs. Choi. "Will you tell your son to get lost," Minzy mumbled knowing very well Seunghyun was still close by watching them. 

"Seunghyun why don't you go and get the shopping done like I asked you to the other day," Mrs. Choi called over her shoulder. Groaning as he stomped his feet like a young child, he sighed and grumbled as he walked out. His childish behavior had the pair giggling to themselves as they listened for his leave. "So tell me dear, where have you been all Summer," Mrs. Choi asked not being one for small talk. 

Minzy bit the corner of her lip as she thought about what to say, "Trying to move on." 

It was now Mrs. Choi's turn to go quiet. Leaning her head upon Minzy's she sighed in understanding, "Why are men so dumb?" 

"I wish I knew the answer to that question," Minzy mumbled as they both laughed. Sighing as she tried to grasp what she was feeling, she tried again, "I don't know exactly how to explain it, but...when I say moving on I mean moving on completely with my life. My mother is gone, which you probably figured out by now and now..." Minzy's voice broke as the thought of her father dying came to mind. Feeling Mrs. Choi squeeze her hand brought her out of her racing thoughts. "Now that my father is dying soon I just don't know...but that's only half of it. Losing Seunghyun couldn't have happened at a real crucial time of my life and thinking on it. Losing him means that I'm also going to lose this." Turning her face into Mrs. Choi's shoulder, she couldn't help the tears that began to fall. Trying to hold back her sob, she continued to mumble into Mrs. Choi's shoulder, "I'm such a selfish girl to think I can still depend on you. Thank you for taking care of my father while I was focusing on me."

Turning to shift Minzy's head into her lap, she couldn't help the frown that deepened as Minzy began to tremble. Running her hands through the young woman's hair, she could sense that Minzy's life had been hard. "Minzy..." she softly cooed. "Minzy..." she cooed a little louder so that Minzy could hear her through the sobbing. Watching as Minzy tried to still herself, she sighed as she continued to sooth her, "Minzy thank you for trusting me enough to be vulnerable with me. It's been a blessing to see you grow up along side my son. You're a strong young woman you know that?" Closing her eyes shut, Minzy wanted to believe those words. But her tears made her feel other wise. "I want you to know that crying or even being honest with how you truly feel doesn't not make you weak. In fact it's the opposite. It's maturity and it shows that you have the strength to realize where you need improvement. Don't you ever feel ashamed to cry or express your feelings. It's your heart learning and finding its way to happiness." 

Minzy let out a deep sigh as she thought on those words, "How can I find happiness with everything crumbling all around me? Everyone that I hold dear to me seems to want to walk out on me." 

"The truth is baby girl, everyone no matter how hard we try to hold on tightly to will leave us eventually. It's part of life. The real relationship you need to hold tight to is the one you have with yourself. Find that inner peace and finding happiness will follow soon after," Mrs. Choi spoke sincerely. 

Letting the words burn deep into her mind, she nodded. Though she couldn't grasp the concept at the moment, she was sure wanting to understand it and even dare experience it one day. "Thank you," Minzy croaked. "Thank you..." she continued to breathe. 

Hearing the phone buzz, Mrs. Choi looked to see a text from her son, "Seunghyun is on his way home." 

Shooting up, Minzy quickly wiped at her eyes, "I guess that's my cue."

"Wait, I have something for you," Mrs. Choi said as she was up on her feet and dashing down the hall. Grinning to herself, Minzy made her way towards the front door and did what she was told. "Minzy are you still there," Mrs. Choi called out as if she was still looking around. 

"I'm here," Minzy coughed out as she tried to clear . She was growing impatient with every second Mrs. Choi kept her waiting. Gazing at the door knob, she was tempted to walk out before Seunghyun came back. "Uh...Mrs. Choi..." 

"I'm coming. I'm coming," she called as she rushed back. "Sorry dear," Mrs. Choi breathed as she extended a letter out to her. 

"Thank you," Minzy said in more of a question seeing her name written on the letter with the Choi family address on it. 

Mrs. Choi chuckled in understanding at her young woman's confusion, "It's from Dongwook. He sent it a few weeks back." 

Minzy couldn't help the smile that spread across her face, "Se7en wrote me?!" 

"Yeah he did. He clearly instructed me that I should be the one to give it to you. Not even Seunghyun knows about it," Mrs. Choi wiggled her eyebrows. Laughing at how endearing it was that Mrs. Choi was so secertive about it. It wasn't as endearing as how she still called him by his birth name. Though time and time again Se7en tried to get his mother to go along with his nickname she stayed true to calling him by his real name. "I was also told that I should strongly encourage you to write him back because he would like to hear from another woman besides his mother." 

This had Minzy cracking up with laughter, knowing very well just how playful Se7en got with his mother, "I will strongly take that into consideration." 

Mrs. Choi nodded as she shrugged, "Literally half of my letter was about finding you." 

Minzy scoffed as she shook her head, "I'm sorry that he had to nag about me to you through his letter. I will for sure write him to never do that again." 

"I'm sorry that you have so many obligations to my needy sons," Mrs. Choi shook her head as if ashamed at her sons. 

Minzy shook her head and stepped towards Mrs. Choi to give her big embrace, "It's the other way around. I'm sorry I've worried your family, especially you. Thank you." 

"Thank you for coming by to see me. Next time let's do this again but at a spa," Mrs. Choi offered with a enticing smile. 

"Gladly," Minzy smiled as she turned to leave. 

"Call me, I still have the same number," Mrs. Choi called after her. 

"I will," Minzy looked back to wave. Smiling she turned to see Seunghyun standing with bags in his arms. "Did you need help taking in anymore bags?"

He grinned and shook his head, "Naw girl, you know I only do one trip." 

Laughing in understanding, she was the one now shaking her head, "Alright then. I'll catch you later." Making her way to her car, she didn't notice the prying eyes that were fixed upon her. 

" did you just come out of Seunghyun's house," Bom growled as she slammed her door shut with Fei and Hyuna following close behind. 

Rolling her eyes, Minzy diverted their glares and looked down. She didn't want them to see her swollen eyes, "I'm glad vision correction helped or did you get thicker contacts to help you from going cross eyed." Opening her car door, she was quick to hop in. But her door was stopped when Bom took hold of her door and moved her body in the way from closing. 

"Listen here you ..." 

In one fluid motion Minzy was up and in Bom's face. She was done caring how she might look to them as she stood fierecly glaring at the annoying enemy. "Do you know it's called stalking what you and these ing s are up to right now?!" Scoffing, she went from glaring at Bom to her ex best friends then back to Bom, "I'm going to only tell you this once." Holding up her index finger to emphasize what she was saying she gave Bom a hard stare, "I could give two s if you or your little group of hoes talked about me. But...if I find out that you or any of your side es call Seunghyun's mother a dragon lady again I will personally show you what a dragon lady is and you up. You hear me?" 

"Who told you..." 

"I'm not going to repeat myself," Minzy hissed. 

"What are you not going to repeat," Seunghyun asked as he came into view. 

Shrugging her shoulders, she kept her eyes on Bom, "Why don't you ask her what I mean?" 

"Bom," Seunghyun asked with an expectant look. 

"I..." 

"Sound ing stupid? Yes you do," Minzy scoffed as she shoved Bom away from her car door. 

"Don't you ing touch her," Fei stepped up catching Bom before she could fall. 

"Then tell the to move out of my ing way next time," Minzy shook her head in disgust as she got into her car. Sighing she gazed over to Seunghyun staring intensly at Bom. It was a different kind of intensity then what she had grown accustom to. As satisfying as it should have felt, she frowned and whispered over to him, "Thank you Seunghyun for your help today. Hope you have a good night." 

Watching as his gaze turned towards her and soften, she couldn't help the small smile that spread across her face. "I'll catch you later," he answered softly as if it was also an apology for the drama happening. Nodding she waved and ignored the gawking es as she drove away. 

 

Minzy knew very well that she was safe in the comfort of her own home, especially with her father being in the condition that he was in, but that didn't stop her from locking her door and hiding beneath her blankets to utilize her phone light to reveal the letter from Se7en. Handling the envelope with great care, she was able to open it to find a hand written letter. Gleefully she quickly opened it and read...

 

To the stranger who I thought would be one of my avid pen pals,

Where have you been? I've been getting letters nonstop about you but never from you. Are you well? I know you're okay, because I know you're a tough cookie but I can't help but wonder if you're doing good. I have given my idiot of a brother countless advice on his relationship with you and it seems like I've been talking to a brick wall. Honestly, how in the hell did you put up with his dumb for so long? See I'm related to him, so I don't have a choice. You on the other hand had and still have plenty of chances to leave his dumb yet you stay. Does that mean you're just as dumb as him or that you actually love that dummy? Don't answer that harsh question, I already know the answer to it. Or at least that's what I thought...I've been getting really concerning letters about you. And well...I don't wanna hear about you, I want to hear from you. So if you could so kindly fill me in that would give me a greater understanding of why you left in the first place. Anyway just know that if Seunghyun doesn't get it together by the time I get back I'm pursuing you after this. I'll make you mine in no time. 

Love you stranger, 

Se7en 

P.S. spray your letters with some kind of perfume so these nosey commerades will be super jealous. 

 

Minzy laughed as she reread Se7en's letter in his voice as if he was sitting there next to her. Shaking her head, she made a mental note to go shopping for some items to write Se7en back. 

 

Minzy grinned as she looked at the grade she received on her first assignment. She was at the top of her game with all the great praise she got from her professor. “I knew you were going to get a good grade after reading through your paper,” Mino smiles over at her.

”Thanks for your help,” Minzy grinned as she gathered her things to leave. “I owe you.”

”Dinner after my game this Friday,” Mino smiles brightly.

Shaking her head she had to give him credit for trying, “Thanks for the invite but I’m trying to focus on school...”

”Of course it will be about school what else do you think we’d discuss,” Mino said as if offended by what she was suggesting.

”Yeah I’m not so sure...”

”You know we get extra credit supporting sport events and I can introduce you to some professors within our field that come out to the game,” Mino added.

”Why would you do all that for me,” she eyed him suspiciously.

He shrugged as they walked out of class, “Think of it as an apology for complicating your life.”

She grinned as she thought of Hyuna, “You don’t owe me anything really. If my friendship fell apart over a guy I guess it wasn’t really a strong one.”

”Hey Minzy,” Seunghyun fell into step with the pair. “Mino,” he nodded.

”What’s up,” Minzy asked sensing some kind of unspoken tension between the two guys.

”Did you know that you can get extra credit coming to our game this Friday,” he smiled.

Nodding she did her best to ignore the scoff from Mino, “Yeah, actually Mino was telling me about it.”

”My mom is planning on being there and possibly my dad,” Seunghyun added.

”Really? Mr. Choi never makes it to your games, let alone two in a row,” she smiled brightly as she patted his arm. “I hope he makes it.” 

“It’s our season opener and my mom has been nagging me to get you to come and join her...I mean if you want to.”

”Seunhyun you know I love your parents,” Minzy grinned

”They love you too,” he nodded with a big smile.

”But it sounds more of a family thing with your father coming...” she tried to say making up an excuse.

”You know as well as I do that my father doesn’t like to continually be nagged at by my mom during the games,' he eyed her knowingly.

True...I guess...”

”Sweet I knew I could count on you. I’ll let my parents know. Later,” Seunghyun gleefully said before taking his leave.

”Are you sure you’re trying to focus on school,” Mino asked as he watched Seunghyun leave.

Minzy shook her head and remembered that she was initially talking with Mino, “Yes I am. I don’t have the funds to repeat any of my classes.”

”So with Seunghyun...”

”We grew up together and dated, so it’s whatever,” she shrugged it off.

Mino scoffed and shook his head at her, “That didn't sound like whatever.”

”You’re right it’s kind of complicated but...I guess to Seunghyun it’s whatever so I’m trying to learn how to make things into whatever. Hopefully that makes sense,” Minzy shrugged.

Sighing Mino shook his head, “Not really, it sounds even more complicated.”

Smiling over at him she knew better than to try to explain things further, “I guess I’ll see you at the game on Friday.”

”And then dinner,” he persisted. 

“Maybe,” she offered in hopes to get him to stop pressuring her.

Nodding victoriously, he waved goodbye, “I’ll take it. See you Friday!”

 

Minzy hopped in her car and dialed Zelo's number, "Hello?"

"Hey sis what's up," Zelo answered. 

She could hear the hustle and bustle in the background and knew it was probably a bad time to call, "I just wanted to call and check up on you, but you sound busy at the moment. Call me tonight will you?" 

"For sure, love you sis," Zelo quickly said before hanging up. 

Hanging up, she was surprised to see Hyuna jumping into her passenger seat. Watching as Hyuna quickly locked the door, she wondered what was going on, "Yes?" 

"Can we get the out of here," Hyuna pleaded as she sat staring straight forward. Nodding to herself, Minzy started her car and drove off. Driving down the road, she watched Hyuna from the corner of her eye. She was crying. Reaching for the volume, she turned up the music before leaning her head upon the window. It was in that moment Minzy knew where to go, pulling up to a small ice cream shop. She ordered two vanilla cones and parked at the nearest park. Rolling down the windows, she quietly at her ice cream as Hyuna sat with her cone in her hands. "You know..." Hyuna softly spoke as she stared down at her ice cream cone. Clearing she tried again, "You know I don't really hate you right?" Minzy stayed quiet as she allowed her to continue. "I've always known that Fei had this jealousy streak when it came to you, ever since we were young I could always sense it. But I guess you already knew that as well. But I never knew how deep it ran until everything blew up in our last year of high school. I thought eventually she would get over it and we'd go back to how things were, but it never happened. You literally disappeared out of thin air. Not a word. Not even a trace of you. The only thing I had left of you is the hate of Fei and Bom, then the dispair and panic from Seunghyun. I was hurt like Seunghyun, but in a different way of course. I distanced myself from Fei because of all that negativity she was going on about that I somehow felt alone. Now you and I both know that I've had my share of guys to go around, but then Mino came into my life and I wasn't alone anymore. Like the funny thing was, that we became friends through meet ups at parties and the next thing I knew we were something more. He wasn't like any of the guys I've dated before. It was almost like I found my Seunghyun to my story you know?" Though Minzy wanted to intervene so many times, she tried her best to hear her out. "Obviously I'm not great with relationships and so of course I ed up. But I thought...maybe I wished that...we could work things out. My resolve was to make things right with him and then you came back. You came back with a vengence and somehow had Mino before I had a chance to make things right. And in doing so, I've found myself becoming just like Fei and Bom." Hyuna shook her head in disgust as she thought back to a few days ago, "I didn't realize just how ed up I became when I realized I was even targetting Seunghyun's mother! How could I have said such harsh things about his mom when she was nothing but good to me and Fei growing up. Yes it was because we were your best friends, but still...if someone were to talk about my family..." 

"So what are you telling me," Minzy asked. 

Sighing, Hyuna turned with tear filled eyes to look at her, "I'm asking you to ing forgive me. I'm sorry that I let jealousy get to me. I let some ing guy change me and I didn't realize it until I was also hurting innocent people." 

"So...you're okay will me and Mino..." Minzy asked curiously. 

Hyuna looked away as if hurt by the thought of it, "No, but I will be." Minzy grew quiet as she stayed staring at Hyuna, gazing down she noticed the ice cream was starting to drip down the cone and onto her hands. Taking the cone away, she ate up all the melting ice cream. Snatching back the ice cream cone, Hyuna glared over at Minzy, "You can steal my man but you can't steal my ice cream you ." 

Minzy chuckled as Hyuna held her glare while her ice cream cone, "You fat . Mino is going to be broke from buying you food alone." 

"That's what we did for most of our dates anyway," Hyuna shrugged as she continued to eat. 

Shaking her head, Minzy couldn't help but chuckle, "Wow now that I think about, you look like you put on some weight." 

Consuming the cone whole, Hyuna her fingers clean, " I look good no matter what size I am." 

"You right," Minzy nodded. Sighing she turned to Hyuna and grinned, "You know I would never do that to you right?" 

Hyuna bit her lower lip and nodded, "I know. I mean you're still faithful to Fei by not talking with Jiyong. I don't think she sees that, but I do. You've always been loyal to us even when we haven't been." It was Minzy's turn to turn away. She could feel her eyes watering and couldn't face Hyuna. "Minzy can you forgive me for being such a ?" 

"Yeah, but I can't do that jealousy again. Like that petty is high school Hyuna, so if we're going to be friends I need you to know that I we can't do that . And if we find ourselves in it, let's talk through it," Minzy pleaded. "We both have enough to worry about, so let's not add to that." 

Hyuna grinned in understanding, " girl, you're gone for the Summer and now you're all grown up." 

"No I'm not grown up. Just fed up with the that life is putting me through," Minzy sighed. "You know my mother left and my father is dying soon..." Minzy began her tale, to get Hyuna caught up in what was going on in her life. 

 

Minzy was grateful to have cried it out with Hyuna. After dropping Hyuna off back at school, she headed home to find Taeyang hanging out with her father watching television. "Sorry I'm late," Minzy called as she rushed in the kitchen to find take out. 

"We didn't know what time you'd be back so I just ordered some food. Hope you're okay with that," Teddy asked as he appeared. 

"How much do I owe you," Minzy asked as she went to her bag to retrive her wallet. 

"It's fine," Teddy waved it off as she held out money towards him. 

"No really, please I have to pay you..." 

"Actually we have to pay you," Teddy said in a lower voice as he glanced around not wanting her father to hear. "Your father is coming into a large lump sum of money and everything from here on out with be paid for." 

"What," Minzy looked at him suspiciously. 

"Your father was hurt at work and the company has to pay for all his care now," Teddy replied to her look. "So you don't have to worry about paying for anything...at least when it comes to your father." Reaching into his pocket as his phone buzzed, he frowned and picked up the call. "Sorry..." he excused himself to take the call. Heading to the living room where her father seemed consumed by the current program playing on television, Teddy reappeared with a grin. "Mr. Gong..." 

"Go son, go take care of business. I have Minzy here," Mr. Gong waved him off as he continued to watch the program. 

Teddy glanced between the two as if debating to leave. "I can handle it from here. I'll just call Seunghyun," Minzy glanced over to him. 

"I'm really sorry, tomorrow..." 

"Teddy you don't have to apologize. Go on boy before you start irritating me," Mr. Gong cut in. 

Bowing in understanding, he smiled over to Minzy, "See you tomorrow." 

Waving with a smile, she nodded, "Bye." 

As the door clicked closed, there was a shared silence between the pair as they both stared at the television. "You don't have to stay here anymore. You can go back to living your life," Mr. Gong broke through the comfortable silence. "Like Teddy was telling you, I'll be taken care of until the end of my life." Minzy stayed quiet as she listened to what her father had to say. "Go and live your life as you and Zelo intended to live it. You don't have to babysit me anymore."

"So you want me to leave," she asked unsure of what he meant. 

"Yes, get the out," he snapped. Seeing her father snap, made her slightly jump. It had been a while since she had such an intense interaction with her father. She was starting to get used to how her father was at the moment she didn't think he still had this side in him due to his condition. "Did you hear me?! Are you ing deaf," her father continued to bark. "Get the out! Get the ..." 

Minzy was hovering over her father, glaring down at the man glaring just as hard. "Out? Yeah I will. When I know you're taken care of I'll leave." 

"I'm good. I don't need your ing help. I don't need..." 

"Well if not for you then I'm doing it for myself and my brother. Even though you put us through so much ing I can't and I won't leave," Minzy hissed. 

"Why," her father growled. 

"Because we're family," Minzy scoffed in disbelief. Pointing between them, she gave him a scolding look, "Whether you like it or not, your blood runs through my veins. I am your ing flesh and blood. We were chosen at random to make each other's life a living hell." 

"More of the reason to leave," Mr. Gong sat with a hard look. "Go make a life for yourself and Zelo." 

"I am. We are doing fine..." 

"Then why come back?! I don't need you, so ing leave," he nodded towards the door. "Leave and don't come back." 

Minzy could feel her anger rising as she took a deep breath and knelt before her father. Bowing her head, she closed her eyes and tried to clear her mind. Sitting there, she ignored the various insults and thought of what to say. Shaking her head, she couldn't help the words that escaped her lips, "I'm not leaving. I'm not letting you die alone." Gazing up at her father, she looked deep into his cold eyes, "Do you hear me?! I'm not ing leaving you! I'm going to be here to the very end do you hear me?! Push me away all you want but I'm staying because no matter how ed up our family is we're always going to be family." 

Her words seemed to strike a cord within him as his head hung low. He became quiet, no longer insulting, but rather sitting in silence as he stared at his hands. After a few moments of silence, Mr. Gong finally spoke up. "These hands are all I know. These hands are all that I am good at. I can work. I can build. I can make a dream become a reality with these hands. But I can also destroy things with these hands like our family and my relationship with my own children..." Sighing, he looked down at Minzy with a softer gaze, "Now that I barely have the strength in these hands that I've depended on all my life, I see now that I am no longer good at anything anymore. I have no purpose any longer. I have nothing. I have nothing and you are that physical reminder of it. I can no longer provide. I can only sit here and waste away." 

Minzy could hear and the feel the pain her father was feeling in his voice. He wasn't one for tears, but she could sense that this was his version of it. Reaching up, she went to take her father's hand to have him flinch away. Sighing she attempted again, taking hold of his hand and utilizing her strength over his to keep it in her grasp. "See that's where you're wrong. You still have me and Zelo. Though you had a twisted way of showing it, you know that you love us." Tightening her grasp as he tried to pull away, she shook her head, "I see this as a blessing. God is giving us a chance to make things right before we go our separate ways." 

Hearing her father scoffing she was in awe to see the the tears falling from his eyes, "Why would God give me another chance after how ed up I've been?" 

Shrugging, she got up on her knees, wrapped her arms around him and pulled him into an embrace, "It's not up to us to question it. Just embrace it." Though Minzy wasn't really raised in a religious home, she called herself a believer a believer of something bigger than herself out there. Inhaling deeply, she thanked the heavens for this moment. A moment that was going to shift her relationship with her father, she could feel it in her gut.