15.

Strong Willed

Minzy took a long sigh as she plopped into her seat she subconsciously assigned herself to for her tutoring. Placing her head on her hands she felt so tired. She had been pushing herself these past few weeks harder than she had ever pushed herself in school. Never had she remembered reading so many books and writing so many essays and assignments in her entire educational career, but somehow she made it. She was now on track with school for graduating and even more excited about possibly going to college.

"There's no time for sleeping, we have to make note cards and study for your math test this coming Friday," Seunghyun's voice rang in her ears.

Her reaction was to shift just enough to reach into her bag and toss out note cards she had made and studied last night, "Give me five minutes and we can look over my extra credit papers."

"Impressive, to think you would be too busy watching some chick flick or something with the girls," he stated glancing through the cards.

"What makes you think I have time for things like that? Of course I wrote my note cards as I was watching a chick flick in the hospital with Zelo," she mumbled into the table.

He chuckled and nodded at his half right answer, "How is Zelo?"

His question made her pause and think. How was her brother who lay unconscious? She wanted to know herself. It was weeks ago that she was told that he would be waking up any day and the next thing she knew he kept sleeping day after day that turned into weeks. Weeks that she spent studying next to him and even sometimes mimicking a conversation with him. Shrugging at the fact that she couldn't answer him, she wanted nothing more than to switch up the conversation, "Can you please look over my papers? Just want to make sure they seem up to par."

He nodded in understanding as he held his hand out, "Alright let's do it."

 

Minzy agreed with majority of his suggestions towards her paper and in fact she wondered why she didn't see some of the errors, "Why didn't I see these mistakes?"

"It's always good to get a fresh pair of eyes to help out," he replied as the two packed their things. "Are you heading back to the hospital?"

"I gotta head somewhere before going there," she said as she fell into step with him.

"Do you mind if I go see him," he asked as they exited the library.

She stopped in her tracks and gave him a look of disbelief, "Why?"

"Why not? I consider him a good friend."

Though she felt upset, she tried to see past it, "Do what you want it hasn't stopped you before."

"Minzy don't do this," he sighed.

"Do what?! Don't make me the bad guy. I told you that you can do whatever the hell you wanted. I'm not your ing mom," she hissed.

"When will this feud we have end," he huffed out of frustration.

"When you can truly let me go," she said bluntly.

"Let you go?"

She nodded as she folded her arms across her chest, "Why are you stringing me along? You know me better than anyone and yet you say and do stupid that gets to me. Why?"

"I..."

"You? You what?"

"Like what?"

She raised her hands up in the air to surrender, "You know what I'm not going to deal with you right now. Why would I explain myself when you still don't get the stupid you're doing?"

As she tried to walk away, he blocked her way to stay her, "Then show me if you don't want to tell me."

She gazed up at him to see the seriousness in his eyes as she sighed. Shaking her head, she did her best to reframe from doing something she knew that she was going to regret sooner or later. "No."

"Minzy you know me better than anyone else as well. Please let me know what stupid I keep doing so I can make things right between us," he pleaded softly as he lend up against the wall.

Inhaling deeply she gazed into his eyes with all the pain and sorrow she felt in her heart. Reaching her hand up, she lightly brushed against his strong jawline before tip toeing to press her lips against his. It was a soft and gentle kiss as she came down and embraced him. "See the stupid you keep doing to me?" Minzy knew with every fiber in her being that what she was doing at the moment was something far from what she would do. Usually she would push away and sheild herself from problems, yet here she was facing it head on and in fact embracing it. He was the problem that made her do stupid like being all lovely dovey with a guy who kept putting her through so much. The air between the two became thick as he pulled away and stared down into her eyes. His gaze held her still to the point that she almost forgot how to breathe. But then he bent down and took her lips to his once again, kssing them more aggressively than the last as he let his hands travel the length of her sides. The two continued to make out intensely before the thought of Bom and Seunghyun secret hallway kiss came to her mind. Followed by the various events of him choosing Bom over her. Frozen in place, she pushed her hand against his chest to stop him.

"What's wrong," he breathed as he frowned down at her.

"I can't do this. We can't do this," she said upset more at herself for not being able to finish enjoying a great make out session. "Seunghyun before you ask why I want you to really think. Is this what you really want?"

"I don't even know what I want anymore," he sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"Stop being a stupid little and figure it out before things get worse," she said before turning to leave him to think on what happened.

 

Minzy made her way into her brother's hospital room to find her mom packing up items into a bag, "Did anyone come by and visit?" She tried not to sound too obvious as she walked over to her unconscious brother and gave him a quick peck on the forehead.

"Yes the doctor did," her mother replied.

She felt a bit disappointed, but pushed the thought aside as she adjusted Zelo's blanket, "He did? What did he say?"

"Zelo is going home."

"Huh," she grunted unsure if she heard right.

Her mom nodded to confirm what she had heard, "The doctor came and told me that there wasn't anything more they could do for him..."

"And so what? They wanna just kick an unconscious boy out," Minzy snapped.

"Minzy they suggested it was best if he recovered at home..."

"At home?! You think I'm going to let my unconscious brother recover at a ing house with an abusive drunk man who does stupid ?! Then you're telling me that you're basically going to kill my brother," Minzy growled with fury.

"I will stay home..."

"And do what?! What the are you going to do when dad tries to pull the ing plug on my unconscious brother when he's on his drunken rampage?!"

The tears began to fall from her mother's eyes as she broke away from Minzy's strong gaze. "I'm sorry I didn't...it's too late I already signed the release papers..."

Minzy felt her heart drop to the pit of her stomach as she heard the mentioning of her brother being transported to her house by the end of the night. She was at loss for words as the countless worries began to fill her mind. The worry of her unconscious brother staying in the home of a drunken abusive man with no one to stay by his side while she was away because in the home her mother was consumed in her own safety. In the midst of all the drowning thoughts, strong arms pulled her into a warm embrace.

"Minzy are you okay," a voice echoed as she gazed up to see she was in the arms of guy she had kissed earlier.

"Seunghyun," was all she whispered before she leaned into his embrace to be held tightly.

 

Minzy quietly sat in front of her dark and gloomy house. She took in the thoughts of her bringing Zelo to live unconscious and not supervised especially around her father. How could she protect Zelo when she was held up with studying after school? Or sometimes even later with extra credit activities? Not to mention the fact of how much her father became a monster when he was drunk. The fear of her father killing her brother was more than likely with the situation they were in.

"Come on," Seunghyun called out to her as he held his hand out to help her out of the car.

Accepting his hand she stood on her feet to take in the entire reality of her situation, "Thanks. You don't have to..." She was silenced as he kept holding onto her hand and led her to her front door. The both of them quietly made their way to the front door, to have her grip his hand tightly. "You don't have to do this."

"I want to," he simply said as he took her keys to open the door and led them in.

If anyone had the slightest clue as to how Minzy's home life was like it was Seunghyun. He was the one who had seen through her walls she had put up one time she had been hanging out with him in elementry. She sat craddling herself underneath the slide of the playground crying when she felt so overwhelmed from her daddy contantly beating her mommy. It was Seunghyun who slung his arm over her shoulders to get her attention to the pretty rainbow lollipop in his hand. He had offered it as a gift to her in hopes that the sweet gesture would make her feel better, because his reasoning at the time was that candy always made things better. After that moment on he would offer her sweets whenever he saw her at the playground which developed into a great friendship. Making their candy offerings as a joke between the two whenever one of them wasn't feeling too good.

"I can't believe you still remember your way around my house," Minzy grinned to herself at the thought of her friend Seunghyun and her playing around the playground.

"Of course I remember," he turned to grin back at her as they walked into Zelo's room. "Now let's get this room ready for Zelo," he encouraged her as he began to shift things around to have her join.

 

Minzy plopped onto the bed sighing as they finished adjusting Zelo's room around to fit his needs, "That was a work out."

"Yeah it was," Seunghyun agreed as he sat next to her. "Now Zelo can rest better with our adjustments."

She lightly pushed at his shoulder in a friendly gesture, "It could've been better if you brought some sweets for me."

He chuckled as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a stick of gum, "Here."

"Thanks," she smiled as she took the piece and popped it into . "I feel a little better now."

"Of course, candy always makes things better," he matched her smile at their inside joke.

"This isn't candy," she teased as she blew a big bubble at him.

Using his index finger he popped the bubble making the gum splat over her lips and nose. The two then burst into laughter as they both tried to scrape the gum off her face, "Sorry!"

"Whatever you meant that," she laughed before he brushed his thumb across her lips to wipe away the residue from the gum.

The soft touch against her lips, made her freeze. The two sat with their eyes locked as the thoughts of their growing friendship and eventually love flashed before their eyes. Neither one looking away as the memories filled the room and brought the two closer together. Closing her eyes as he descended towards her lips, she felt his warm soft lips press against hers, with a light brush of his tongue grazing her lips to wipe the little of the gum he had missed with his thumb. "Mmm...now that's the best tasting candy I've tasted in a while," he softly spoke against her lips before giving her a quick peck on the lips. "I'll see you tomorrow at the library?"

She quickly shook her head to snap out of it, as he stood to his feet, "Umm...yeah?"

He chuckled seeing those rare moments she let her guard down, "Alright bye."

"Bye," she said bewildered at what just happened.

 

Minzy moved some of her belongings into Zelo's room before locking it. Sighing as she was trapped in her home with no escape, she laid on the floor gazing up at the ceiling. The quiet air was a sign that her father was still out drinking his night away, which allowed her to listen to the soft humming of Zelo's heart monitor. She thought back to what had happened earlier. Her childhood memories. The candy. But most importantly the intense kissing. Closing her eyes she let her thumb brush across her lips as Seunghyun flashed in her mind. Her hand found it's way to rest upon her forehead as her eyes opened to a loud bang. The loud sound rang out through her ears as it echoed down to her core to bring her back to reality.