18.

Strong Willed

Minzy packed up her things as she was getting ready to leave, to find her mom in the living room with the blinds closed and the lights off. "Mom? Hey I'm getting ready to leave. Can you keep an eye on Zelo," Minzy asked, ignoring the hunch she was feeling. "Mom," she called again as she flipped on the light. Sighing, she walked in and picked up the bottle of vodka and put it away in the kitchen before helping her mom up to lay in Zelo's room after locking the door to leave.

 

Minzy walked into the school and was blocked by Fei glaring at her, "What?"

"What? What?! Are you ing kidding me," Fei snapped as she crossed her arms over her chest before Hyuna came rushing down the hallway to mediate between the two. "You have some ing nerve," Fei hissed.

"Can you just tell me what you're pissed about so I can go about my day," Minzy asked as she began to lose patience.

"Jiyong, the person we've been arguing about duh," Fei said rolling her eyes.

"Okay..." Minzy said as if not really caring.

"Why did you tell Jiyong to leave me alone? Are you that jealous of what we have," Fei asked in disgust. 

"And what is it that you and Jiyong have? A one night stand? A friend with benefits relationship? Fei I really don't have time for this. If you honestly want to know the truth here it is. I told him to stop ing around with you and be up front. I let him know that you were one of my best friends and that I didn't like how he was messing with your ing head," Minzy said frustrated. "Now if you want to have him keep leading you on that's your choice. I just don't want you to use me as your ing excuse for why things aren't working out with you two."

"But you are," Fei growled. "You are the reason why I can't be with him!"

"Don't put the blame on me! I'm not forcing him in no way to push you away. In fact, I'm doing that to him for you! , I don't know what else you're expecting from me but I can't have this in my life right now," Minzy pushed past Fei who stood teary eyed with Hyuna standing by her for support.

 

The day blurred right before her eyes and the next thing she knew she was heading towards the library for her study time. But before she could enter, Bom stepped in her way. Trying to divert her, Minzy moved the other way to be blocked yet again. "What?"

"Why has Seunghyun been spending the night at your house the past couple of days," Bom asked accusingly.

"Why don't you ask him yourself," Minzy shrugged as she tried to enter the library again to be blocked again. 

Bom pointed her index finger at her and glared, "What...did...you...guys...do..." Bom waved her finger at her with each word she said.

Minzy glared at Bom and clenched her fists ready to knock a out, "Block my way again and I will break your finger!" Pushing past her, she entered the library before taking her regular seat.

"Good afternoon," Seunghyun chimed as he looked up from his book.

"Hey," she simply nodded as she pulled out her items. "Your girlfriend is ing nuts. You need to put her in check before I a up," she warned in all seriousness.

"That's what people asked me to do with you and that didn't happen," he teased. "And what are you talking about? Bom and I aren't necessarily together..."

"What's that supposed to mean," she asked, eyeing him suspiciously. He had neither claimed or denied being with her until now.

"It's however you wanna take it," he shrugged not fully answering her.

"Seunghyun look at me," she demanded his attention. "Are you and Bom dating," she asked loud and clear. Ignoring all the dirty glances her way, she looked him dead in the eyes, "Seunghyun..."

But he diverted her gaze and replied, "We were never really offical. It just kinda happened..."

"What happened?"

"Me and Bom...we just kinda happened after prom and all..."

"You mean after you and her ed you kinda got stuck," Minzy asked somewhat in a mocking manner.

He sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair, "...I ed up. I know, I just...don't know what to do."

She pursed her lips together and thought how comical this all was. But at the same time Se7en was right, he was a bit slow and she couldn't hold that against him. He's been like that since she's known him. He wasn't ever known for making very wise decisions, especially when it came to his future. "Well...I don't know what to say."

He finally looked her in the eyes, but in disbelief, "You...of all people, you don't know what to say?"

She shrugged as she nodded, "Yeah, I mean I have some smart remarks like I told you so or what not, but that's something you'd expect me to say. And right now all I want to say is that I feel bad for you."

He went quiet as his gaze dropped along with his head, "What should I do?" Now it was Minzy's turn to go quiet. This was a perfect opportunity for her to bring up what had happened the other day as she lay paralyzed on the grass with him. But at the same time she wasn't feeling so courageous as the thoughts of him admitting to having feelings for Bom.

"You not knowing what to do and not having advice? What the hell happened," he teased as he brought her out of her thoughts.

She gave him a half grin and sighed, "Sorry there's been a lot on my mind as of lately. But...are you really asking for advice as a friend or as someone you had dated?"

"Umm...both," he said more like a question towards himself.

She nodded in understanding as she thought carefully as to what to say. "Well, as a friend I would ask how you truly felt about her and as someone you dated I would ask you for both you and I, where do we stand in our relationship?"

Seunghyun thought about those two questions and didn't know exactly what to say. "I..."

Seeing the struggle, she knew it was too soon for him to honestly answer both questions, "I understand. Just think about those things. But on a more important note, can we get started with these notes so we can go about our day?"

"Oh...uh, sure," he nodded as he went about trying to get his notes out even though his mind was still stuck on her questions.

 

After some good studying, Minzy and Seunghyun walked out together as they reviewed what they had just studied. "Hmm, that's interesting," she thought as she made her way to her car.

"I know right? Hey did you want to go grab a bite to eat," he asked.

Looking at him curiously she shook her head, "As a friend and as someone who had recently dated you I'll have to decline."

"Ouch," he teasingly held his chest as if he had just got shot through the heart. "Dissed by both!"

She shook her head and grinned, "Seunghyun I don't want to cloud your mind with more confusion when you aren't sure yet."

"How do you know that I'm not sure," he asked as he wiggled his eye brows at her.

"Because I'm not sure that I can honestly go as a friend," she honestly answered.

"Fair enough, how about a hug," he asked as he held out his arms.

But she shook her head and held her ground, "Not until you can answer those questions honestly for yourself and I."

"Ouch that hurts again," he groaned as he held his chest. "Alright then, I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

Minzy waved to him and stood quietly watching him walk away. She didn't know what had gotten into her, but she felt good about how she handled the situation. Turning around, she was a bit startled to see Jiyong leaning up against the trunk of her car. "What's up?"

He shrugged as he nodded back to the direction in which Seunghyun was walking, "That was a bit awkward to watch."

"How so," she rolled her eyes as she grinned.

"Because I was a bit envious, I wanted to know what those questions were so I could honestly answer them," he said revealing that he was evesdropping for some time.

"Oh really?"

He nodded as he hopped off the trunk and walked closer to her to lean up against her car, "Yes really. Let me answer those questions so I can be looked at the way you look at him as he walks away."

"You're such a creeper," she teased as she hit his arm causing the both of them to laugh. "And I wasn't staring at him in some creeper kind of way alright? I was just thinking..."

"That he has a nice ?" He turned and poked his out as he puckered his lips at her, "How's this view," he wiggled his at her before he started to back it up on her.

Minzy bursted into laughter as she held his hips in place to stop him, "Oh gosh...stop!"

"You know you like it," he teased as he moved his on her.

"That's beside the point," she continued to laugh. As Jiyong moved close to her, she moved away in time to see Seunghyun pull up, "Oh hi."

"Is everything okay over here," Seunghyun called out the window.

"No I was about to her. So if you don't mind," Jiyong sarcastically said as he tried to wave him off.

But before he knew it, Seunghyun was out of the car and in his face within a few seconds, "What did you say?!"

"Alright, alright," Minzy squeezed in between the two of them. "It was a joke Seunghyun."

"What if I was about to her," Jiyong said to egg him on.

Seunghyun reached over Minzy and pushed him, "I would you up in a heart beat!"

Jiyong shoved just as hard back as he glared at him, "Try it. It would give me more of a reason to kick your ."

Minzy held Seunghyun back as she tried to keep him from fighting, "Seunghyun I know him! It was a joke! Let me talk to him!"

Clenching his fists, Seunghyun gazed down at Minzy with hurt filled eyes, "Please do." Turning, he gave nothing but dirty looks to Jiyong before driving away.

" that ex of yours has some anger issues," Jiyong said as he stood next to Minzy to be wacked in the gut. "Ouch! What was that for?!"

"For you being such a dumb ! Why did you have to bring up ?"

"Were you ," Jiyong asked in shock.

"No you dummy," she hit his arm. "Seunghyun and I went to this party with his cousin from America that was like a sister to him and she was being when he went looking for her. He nearly killed the guy and took it very hard seeing his cousin all tied up and beaten. Though his cousin told him that it wasn't his fault, he still blames his self. And till this day, he still has a hard time hearing that word, it gets him all worked up."

"Sounds like you two have a lot of history together," he answered.

She shrugged and nodded, "Yeah we do. I've known him since we were little kids."

"So childhood sweethearts?"

"Friends first," she countered.

He shrugged as he turned to leave, "That doesn't matter."

"It does to me," she had to explain. "Seughyun and I were first friends. It was one of the big things that helped me open up to him and before we knew it we became something more."

"Your explaination didn't make things better for me," he frowned as he continued to walk away.

Minzy stood tongue tied as she watched Jiyong walk away. What could she possibly say? Sorry not sorry for stating the truth? He was the one who asked, she told herself before getting in the car. Before Minzy knew it she was home. Walking into the house, she was greeted by the shouting and yelling of her parents. Now that her father was injured, he had to stay home to recover a bit more allowing her parents to argue sooner than later. Ignoring the pair shouting back and forth, she made her way to Zelo's room. Locking the door, she plopped down next to her unconscious brother and took his hand in hers, "Hey baby boy. How are the dreams treating you today?" Leaning forward, she kissed the top of his head and was surprised to feel his hand flinch. "Zelo? Zelo are you awake," Minzy became teary eyed as her brother's hand flinched again. Minzy jumped to her feet and pulled out her phone to dial the doctor's number. Her heart began to pound as she tried to patiently wait for someone to answer. "Hello? Oh hello this is Minzy and I was wanting to give you an update on Zelo. He...his hand flinched," she said feeling a bit silly but this was the first movement she's ever seen from him.

"Minzy that's normal. When we are unconscious ourselves, our bodies move involuntarily. It's more like a reaction to whatever your brother my be dreaming about or something as simple as the body having a natural reflex. Does that make sense?"

She sighed as she sat back down looking back at her brother who lay still again, "Yes doctor."

"Don't lose hope Minzy. You just have to give your brother some time."

"This is a lot of time to wait doctor."

"I understand, but there's nothing else we can do but wait. I have to go Minzy. Please feel free to call me if you have any other questions."

"Alright, thanks doctor," she sighed yet again as she hung up the phone. Seeing her brother's hand twitch again, she took his hand and placed it against her face, "Zelo come back to me. I think you've made me wait long enough."

 

Minzy woke up in the middle of the night and coughed feeling was dry and wanted to get something to drink. Quietly listening, she was grateful to hear silence. Walking out of the room, she thought of the benefits of having her parents fight soon than later was that the fights ended sooner than later, especially with the medication her father had to take that knocked him out cold until the next day. Drinking a cold glass of water, she was startled by hearing movement down the hall. Something told her to go check and she did, quietly walking down the hall to hear soft footsteps. As she reached her parents room, she gasped as she saw her mother standing over her sleeping father with a pillow gripped tightly over his face. Storming in the room, she pulled at her mother's wrist and dragged her out of the room. "Let go," her mother growled as Minzy dragged her out to the living room.

"Are you ing nuts," Minzy shouted as she let go of her mother and watched as she lost her balance and fell to the ground. "You really want to be put in prison don't you!"

"Prison?! I'm living in a prison that I can't escape," her mother shouted before she began to cry. "I...can't escape..."

"You're pathetic," Minzy hissed as she pulled the pillow out of her mom's grasp. "You think this will set you free?! I have a better idea..." she marched to the front door and swung it open, allowing a cool gust of air to enter. "Go, go and escape this so called prison you can't seem to escape from."

"You're just as cruel as your father," her mother cried as she held herself.

"No, you don't want to go?! Then get over your ing self," Minzy spat as she slammed the door shut. "Stop accusing dad of you feeling stuck here and admit the truth to yourself. You don't have the guts to leave."

"You just don't want me here! You just want me dead and gone just like your father," her mother cried harder.

"No, I just want you to stop using dad and the rest of us as an excuse to not leave. I'm not going to hold you back any longer. If you wanna leave go ahead. But don't come back," Minzy said coldly. "Because I'm not going to protect you any longer," she said as she walked away leaving her mother crying all alone.

 

Minzy awoke in the morning to find her mother in the kitchen making breakfast. But she did little to acknowledge her presence as she walked out to head to school. As she was pulling up to her parking space she saw Fei standing there was a big box as if she was waiting for her. Inwardly sighing, she hopped out of her car to come face to face with Fei. "What?"

"Here," Fei said as she shoved the box into her hands. "I'm tired of living a lie."

"Aren't we all," Minzy answered more refering to her mom than what Fei was going on about.

"Minzy, we were never truly friends," Fei admitted. "I've only hung out with you because I thought you were so popular and now..."

"Over Jiyong," Minzy cut in.

"It's not just Jiyong. This opened up my eyes to seeing that I'm tired of living in your shadow. Please understand," Fei said softly.

Minzy let go of the box and it crashed to the ground with a loud thud, "I understand completely." Minzy was furious as she walked away from Fei, making her way into the school she walked to her locker and jammed books in before heading to class. Taking a seat up front, she pulled out her laptop and did her best to clear her mind to take notes.

 

As the class went on, it felt like the time was dragging. She couldn't focus any longer as she pulled up her emails to check out of boredom. Scrolling down, she looked to see that it was a response to one of the scholariships she had applied for. Opening it, her jaw dropped as she read through it. It said that she had received the scholarship that paid for all of her schooling, including her room and food. She squealed and remembered she was in class and looked around to see everyone including her teacher staring at her for an explaination. "I...uh...actually understand this subject through my notes," Minzy said, laughing nervously. After class finished, she went about her day feeling on top of the world. She felt like the luckiest girl. Before she knew it, it was time for her to head to the library. She was excited to tell Seunghyun the great news. Walking in, she stopped and hid by the nearest book shelf. Peeking her head out slowly, she saw Bom and Seunghyun chatting and it seemed serious. She hated being in awkward situations and did everything in her power to avoid them. But she knew very well if she walked out to leave, she would be spotted and look like she was creeping in on their conversation. Sighing, she stood hidden behind the book shelf as if she was trying to look for a book. Annoyed, she picked one and sat on the ground flipping through the pages.

"Seunghyun this is very important," Bom said loud enough for Minzy to hear.

Though Minzy tried not to listen, her ears perked right up. "What Bom? I really need to prepare for tutuoring Minzy and you and I both know what will happen if she finds you here," Seunghyun said as if trying to come up with an excuse.

"Minzy, Minzy, Minzy! Is she the only person you are concerned about," Bom nearly shouted to be given dirty looks. She sighed and whispered loudly at him, "Seunghyun you've been acting different ever since you started this tutoring with Minzy. What's going on?"

"Different?! I'm not different at all, you're just seeing the full picture now. I'm sorry I'm not the perfect guy you thought I was," Seunghyun hissed.

"I never asked you to be perfect. I just...don't like you with Minzy!"

"Why is she all we talk about as of lately? It's like you're obessed with her or something?"

"No, I just think she's a dirty that you shouldn't associate with," Bom spoke with so much venom.

"Alright that's enough! Don't call her that. You don't even know her like that," Seunghyun snapped.

"And you do," Bom challenged him.

"Bom I already told you. Minzy isn't as y as you might think she is."

"How do you know that," Bom coughed a laugh.

"Because...she was saving herself for me! She was supposed to be with me that night of prom. We made a promise to each other and then you came in the picture. You won queen and as we danced. I saw the hurt and pain I caused her. I broke our promise and made it even worse when I spent the night with you! So if you're gonna call anyone a dirty , call me that because she didn't do anything to deserve such a name," Seunghyun spoke loud and clear. Meanwhile, Minzy sat clutching the book to her chest and closing her eyes to fight back the tears.

"Look I'm sorry okay. I won't bring her up. But I do need to talk to you tonight," Bom said with a shaky voice.

"What else is there to say?"

"It's not about her. It's something more important. Please Seunghyun I really need to talk to you tonight," Bom said seriously.

He sighed as he went quiet for a moment, "Fine. I'll text you later." Minzy hid her face in the book as if she were intensly reading when Bom walked away. Uncovering her face she bit her lower lip as a stray tear fell from her eyes. Wiping at it, she tried her best to calm her pounding heart but she was startled as her phone rang loudly. Quickly digging for her phone, she pulled it out and put it on silent. "How long have you been sitting there," Seunghyun asked making her gasp.

"! I'm...this book is so good," Minzy chuckled nervously as she wiped her teary eyes. Jumping up to her feet, she grinned, "You know that book wore me out. How about we call off our tutuoring for the day?" Not giving him a chance to answer, she tried to walk past him, "I'll see you..."

She was caught by the wrist and stood facing away from him, "Wait Minzy..."

"Please Seunghyun..." Minzy squeaked as she held back the tears. "I can't do this right now," she bit her lower lip as the tears began to fall.

"Okay," was all he said as he released her. When she was freed from his grasp, she quickly made her way out of the library. Booking it to her car, she picked up the box Fei had given her earlier and tossed it into the car before jumping in to drive off. Letting the tears fall freely, she hissed at herself and stepped on the gas. As she drove, she drove out of the city and the next thing she knew she was at the top of a mountain. Stopping her car, she pulled the box out of the car and walked towards the cliff. She paused and dropped the box onto the side and stepped out to the edge. Closing her eyes, she extended her arms out feeling a cool breeze brush across her face. Inhaling deeply, a strong force jerked her back and the next thing she knew she was lying flat on her back with her eyes to the sky. "What the were you doing," Seunghyun panted as he sat next to her. "Were you trying to kill yourself?!" But Minzy didn't say a word as she kept staring up at the blue sky above. When she heard him call her name again, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath before opening them to stare out at the sky once again. It grew quiet and Minzy was grateful to hear nothing but nature surrounding them. Suddenly she felt something warm against her cold hand and she glanced down to see that it was none other than Seunghyun's hand holding onto hers. The tears built up quickly and she couldn't help but look the other way and let the tears fall.

"Go...away," Minzy finally mumbled.

"No," he softly answered as he laid next to her and reached with his free hand to turn her face to his. "Look at me," he cooed as she tried to divert his eyes. "Minzy," he softly begged. Giving in, she shifted her eyes to look into his deep dark brown orbs. They were filled with something she hadn't seen in such a long time, making the tears fall that much harder. "Minzy you may not want to talk. But at least listen..." he said as he wiped the stray tears falling from her eyes. "I'm sorry for what I put you through. I don't deserve a girl like you but yet I still have you in my life. Thank you for not giving up on me. Thank you for loving me through my stupidity," this made the both of them chuckle as he continued. "I'm sorry that I broke our promise to each other and if I could take it all back I would."

"So what are you saying," Minzy had to ask as to where this was leading to.

He cupped her face into his palms and grinned, "What I'm saying is...that I love you."

"You love me and only me," she had to clarify, especially from what she had heard the other night.

His grin faultered for a brief second and he paused, "I...love you..."

The faultering grin and pause said it all as she slapped his hands away and sat up, "I don't wanna hear it!" Getting up, she marched to her car ignoring Seunghyun chasing after her.

"Wait Minzy," he said as he tried to catch her hand.

"Don't you ing touch me! Don't," she shook her head and got into her car. "I don't come second to no one," Minzy shouted through her window as she flipped him off as she drove.

 

Minzy opened the door to find her father screaming at the top of his lungs at her mother who just sat there. Even if her father was still recovering, he was still mean as hell. "You're ing worthless! Why do I put up with you," he yelled before he tossed something by her mother's feet making it shatter into pieces but her mom seemed unfazed by it. "Are you listening?! Hey you ..."

"Can you just shut the up," Minzy growled as she walked into the living room. "Yes she's listening to all your bull ! Are you happy," Minzy snapped.

"You're not apart of this conversation," her dad barked.

"You shouting at the top of your lungs for the world to hear is an invitation in," Minzy countered.

"I don't need your ," her father growled and picked up the nearest item to toss it at her.

But Minzy growled and picked up a vase, followed by a family photo and tossed it right before him. Grabbing more items, she tossed it before his wheel chair, "You think you're the only one that can throw things?! So can I...I can be just as destructive as you," she screamed before picking up the coffee table and flipping it over.

"I don't know where you get off thinking you're the parent," her father hissed.

Minzy sighed deeply as she tried to calm her pounding heart, "Someone has to. Now please stop being a and let us have some mother ing peace and quiet!" Storming into Zelo's room, she slammed the door and locked it before falling to her knees. She heaved as she stayed staring at the ground and felt the weight of the world on her shoulders.