37.

Strong Willed

Minzy was grateful that Grandma was there every step of the way, though by the looks of it there was no other person in sight. Grandma had ushered Minzy back to the room of Bom's belated sister, but she couldn't follow through as she stopped in her tracks. "Actually Grandma, I was wondering if we could have a sleep over in your room." 

"A sleep over in my room," Grandma looked at her unsure if she heard right. 

Minzy nodded vigorously, "Please, to help me ease into being here." 

Grandma weighed her options as she sighed and turned to move them into her room. Minzy became estatic that Grandma had allowed her into her room to sleep. "I haven't had a sleep over since my granddaughters were young." 

"Well then," Minzy took the lead to guide Grandma into her own room. "Then most definitely I get this sleep over since I haven't had one with you." 

"Then it's settled, you'll stay in my room for tonight and tomorrow night you'll have your own room," Grandma said sternly to hold her ground. 

Minzy smiled brightly as she guided Grandma over to the bed. "Don't worry Grandma we'll have a great sleep over!" 

 

Minzy giggled as she lay her head on Grandma's lap as Grandma subconsciously began to run her fingers through her hair, "You mean to tell me all this time you have yet to commit to a young man even after you left to start a new life?" 

Taeyang was her current fling or thing, she wasn't quite sure what he was to her. But she wasn't sure she could call that a relationship. She sighed heavily as she closed her eyes enjoying the feel of Grandma's tender touch, "Boys ruin everything."

"Not all boys are bad," Grandma warned her to take caution of her words. "There are some good boys are right before our eyes and we are so blinded by the hurt of the bad ones to see them." 

Minzy shrugged as she stared up at the ceiling, "Honestly Grandma, my commitment is first to you." 

"I'm flattered, but your commitment should also be to yourself," Grandma smiled down at Minzy. "Commit to you and your happiness." 

She let out a soft sigh as she thought of the cafe. "I am. I don't need a guy to make me happy. Seeking happiness from a guy led me to a lot of pain and sadness. I want to look for my happiness else where. I want to run that cafe of yours to the best of my ability." 

Grandma chuckled lightly finding it funny that Minzy was so strung up on getting that cafe, "Out of all the things you ask for, you want the cafe. Why?" 

Minzy quietly thought of the answer she had acquired over the last few years away. "The cafe was my safe haven. You took a chance on me and my brother when you didn't have to. You took us in and not only gave us a job but a place we could call a home. I have a lot of fond memories in the short time that I had lived there and I want to keep building more memories to last me throughout the rest of my life there." 

Grandma was so touched as she felt the tears swell in her eyes, "My dear granddaughter you don't know just how much joy it brings me to know that you feel so deeply about my cafe as I do. The cafe was the beginning and the starting point of Park Constructions. My husband had put every penny he made into making that cafe for me and in turn we used the money we made from it to jump start the construction business. I don't think that I could part with my cafe knowing someone didn't see the value that I see in it." 

Minzy's heart swelled with so much gratitude and love for Grandma. She could feel the love radiating off of Grandma as she looked up to see her holding back the tears. "Don't talk like you're dying on me. I still have so much to learn from you about how to keep the cafe as popular as you do." 

Grandma coughed a laugh as she shook her head, "I promise to share all my secrets with you when everything settles with the construction company." Minzy smiled delighted to hear that she would soon learn the wise ways of Grandma. 

 

Minzy slowly began to awake at the sound of Grandma's voice. "Yes Teddy, Minzy is going to be calling out sick for the next two days." Slowly coming to her senses, she began to shift as she hugged onto Grandma's waist. "We have some things to take care of today. I hope you can understand." Minzy lay curiously as she wondered what Grandma meant by that. "Of course she will be at the meeting on Friday. Don't worry I will take care of everything else." She went quiet before sighing, "Alright, goodbye Teddy." 

"Am I not the boss now," Minzy mumbled as she began to wake. 

Grandma chuckled as she squeezed Minzy, "Yes, he reminded me that you're the boss in training. He didn't sound too pleased about you missing two days." 

Minzy rolled her eyes as she moved out of the comfort of Grandma's arms to sit up, "He thinks I need to be potty trained or something." This notion made them both chuckle. "So now that I'm not going to work today. What are we going to do?" 

"First we get you settled in your room," Grandma said as she moved to get up. She walked across the way to the room that Minzy had avoided the night before and grinned. "Now I know what you're thinking. How could I possibly sleep here? Well, I did some remodeling and took everything out and put in place new furniture and what nots to make it less awkward to stay in the room." Opening the door, Minzy was in awe just how transformed the room was with new furniture and a coat of paint. The light colors of off white and pinks were very elegant as Minzy gawked at how beautifully designed it was. "Do you like it?" 

Minzy smiled and nodded, "I love it." 

"Good, it's yours. You can grab your things and bring them in here. I have completely furnished and stocked it to shower supplies and most importantly the wine fridge in the bathroom," Grandma winked at her. 

Minzy placed a hand over her chest and gasped, "I feel so loved." 

"You are so loved," Grandma smiled. "Now go on and test out the remodeled bathroom to get ready for the day and we can go work at the Cafe."

Minzy squealed as she clapped her hands excited, "Really?!" Grandma nodded with a laugh as Minzy zoomed into Grandma's room and then into the bathroom in a flash. Minzy gleefully embraced being able to take a nice hot shower with some wine. She grinned to herself for her choice of breakfast finding an excuse of it being of a fruit. Shaking the thought she refocused her efforts to getting cleaned up for the day. 

Minzy gladly ate the breakfast that was made for her and brought to the room. Feeling stuffed, she laid back onto the nice comfortable bed considering if going to the cafe was the best thing to do at the moment. But a knock came at the door and she sat up smiling as Grandma came in dressed and ready to head out. "Ready?" Minzy smiled as she followed Grandma out. Freezing for a brief moment at the sight of Mina, Minzy felt her chest tighten as she quietly looked away and kept moving forward. Slipping into the car after Grandma, she allowed the driver to take them to the cafe. "Are you excited," Grandma asked.

Minzy smiled as she took Grandma's hand in hers, "Very much so. I've only been there once since returning." 

"Then let us not delay," Grandma chimed in. 

 

Upon arrival, Minzy greeted the two teenagers who were currently running the cafe. "Minzy is a new worker, please do well to make sure she feels welcomed," Grandma smiled. She was taken to the back and instructed that today she would be working for Grandma in the cafe during the rush and then they could head out to do other things. Giggling at how ridiculous she felt slipping on the over sized red shirt, red apron and red and white baseball cap, she modeled for the two teens that clapped and cheered her on as she informed them that she would be helping out for a little while. "Minzy I will be back in a couple of hours. I have to take care of a few things," Grandma said as she waved goodbye. 

"Don't worry I have my fellow coworkers here to make sure I don't burn down the place," she teased as one of the workers helped remind her of how things ran. Smiling, she was able to get the groove of things as she volunteered to be the one working in the kitchen as the teens dealt with customers. They gladly agreed to not having to work as hard today. Minzy let her fingers ghost along the oven handle and inhaled the soft aroma of the baked goods she had grown to love to smell. Grinning at the recipes that adorned the wall, she went to work baking to her heart's content. 

 

As the work flow slowed down, she went about cleaning the mess she made. Going to the front to find the broom, she heard a very disgruntal customer shouting at one of the teen workers with the other teen trying to appease the furious woman. "What do you mean I have to pay for this ?! I come in here all the time with my boyfriend to get these ing desserts for free!" Minzy paused as she heard the woman's voice go an octave higher. "Do you want me to call him right now?! I could get you both ing fired for being ing stupid to charge me like this!" Minzy sighed as she had heard enough. She moved alongside the teenager who was taking the brunt of the woman's wrath. Gazing up past the ridiculous baseball cap, Minzy looked straight at the woman. Shock and disbelief had struck her as she stared at the person who seemed to not notice who she was. "Are you the new ing manager?! I should get you fired too!"

Shaking off the surprise, Minzy lightly chuckled, "I'm going to have to ask you to leave." 

"Excuse me," the woman was taken aback by this new woman. "Do you know who I am?!" 

Minzy rolled her eyes as she glared at the woman, "I know who you are Fei. Now get the out of the cafe before I throw you out!" 

Fei gasped in disbelief as she slammed her hands into the counter, "I dare you !" 

Minzy knew that Fei was too consumed in her hissy fit to really notice her as she pulled th cap off to reveal herself. "Fei just because we're no longer in high school doesn't mean I won't you up!" 

Fei stumbled back in disbelief like she had seen a ghost," Mm..Min...Minzy?!" 

"Yes dumb , now get the out," Minzy growled. Fei didn't think twice as she bolted for the door and left both of the teens staring at Minzy in awe. Minzy could feel the pair staring at her as she softened her gaze. "I'm sorry guys. She's a pain in the . Can you believe we used to be friends?"

"Wait who are you," the teen worker Jennie eyed her suspiciously. 

"And how can you have been friends with her," Lisa eyed Minzy suspiciously. "She's super high maintence." 

Minzy shrugged as she turned to grab the broom. "I'm no one special." 

"You have to be someone special to have the devil herself run up out of the cafe. She is always in here harassing us for free stuff," Lisa huffed. 

"She is," Minzy paused as she turned to look at the two who nodded. "Why?" 

"The boss gives her special treatment," Jennie shrugged as Lisa shook her head at Jennie to not say more. 

"Why would Grandma do such a thing when Fei acts like such a brat," Minzy shook her head. 

"Uh...we're not talking about Grandma," Lisa added. 

The sound of the door opening had Minzy looking up to see her brother. He looked frustrated as their eyes met. "What are you doing here," he grumbled. 

"Hey boss," Jennie and Lisa mumbled in unison as they went about busying themselves. 

Minzy put her hands up as she scoffed when the girls' words hit her like a ton of bricks, "Wait a ing minute! You mean to tell me that this is the idiot that has been giving that special treatment?!" She didn't mean to call her brother an idiot out loud, but he was being one for treating Fei so good.

Jennie and Lisa flinched as they stared at Minzy in disbelief that she would say such a thing to their boss. "What are you talking about," Zelo hissed. 

Minzy shook her head as she pointed to the door, "Get the out of the cafe right now! I don't have time to deal with your ." 

"Since when did you in the last five years have time for me," he snapped. "And I'm the boss, you can't tell me what to do!" 

"Zelo cry me a ing river and build yourself a bridge to get over it." She paused as she shook her head. "I have so much to clean up," Minzy huffed out of frustration as she grabbed the broom.

"You can't tell me what to do," he nearly shouted. 

Minzy chuckled lightly as her temper began to sore through the roof, "You along with everybody else will learn what I can do soon enough." 

"," he grumbled as he glared at her and turned right back around. Minzy was hurt that he had had called her that, but she wouldn't show it as she stayed quiet until he stomped his way out. She figured that it was best not to take it too hard after she had called him an idiot and embarassed him in front of his employees. 

After the door had slammed shut and Zelo was no longer in sight, Jennie and Lisa were by Minzy's side. "I thought you said you were no one special," Jennie said as Lisa eyed her. 

"I'm not," Minzy shrugged as tucked her hair back into her cap and picked up the broom and moved back to the kitchen. Jennie and Lisa shuffled to the kitchen area as they stood staring at Minzy clean up. "Is something the matter," Minzy finally gave in and looked at the two who stood nervously. 

"We both really need this job and it works with our schedules...and like it would be so wonderful if you could explain this to our boss," Jennie pleaded. 

"Please," Lisa added.

"Don't worry girls, keep up the good work. I promise you, you both will have a job tomorrow," Minzy gave them both an encouraging grin. 

Lisa laughed nervously as she took the broom from Minzy, "Let us finish up back here. You've been working so hard it is probably best that you take a break and work the cash register." 

"I have bad luck at the register," Minzy mumbled to which Jennie gently guided her out of the kitchen so that they could clean up the rest. Sighing, Minzy shook her head as she went about organizing the counters and wiping down the tables. As she had finished up the last table, the chimes of the door called her attention and she turned to look into those dark chocolate orbs of eyes she knew instantly and knew it was the curse of being assigned the register. She went weak in the knees seeing him in his tailor made dark blue suit with his features more defined and chisled like a true business man. Catching hold of the table next to her, she shot her gaze to the ground as the man she had once known walked past her and towards the register. The clicking of his fancy business shoes made her feel super self conscious and aware of her attire as she hoped one of the girls would take his order. 

"Big brother Seunghyun, what brings you here," Jennie nearly sang. 

Minzy gazed up at Lisa who had come out of the kitchen and looked as if she was ready to introduce her, but she put her hands up to stop her. Shaking her head, she pressed her index finger against her lips and tried to tip toe out. Both girls were curious as to why she was acting so weird. But seeing the panic cross Minzy's face, they made sure to keep Seunghyun's focus on the various treats they had on display. "There was a new baker today. We hope you enjoy her talents," Lisa smiled.

Minzy shook her head as she slipped out the door and walked out. Racing out back to the alley way, she sighed deeply being in the clear. "Minzy," his voice boomed as she froze in her tracks. "Minzy is that really you," Seunghyun called after her. She couldn't face him, no she wouldn't as she began to pick up her pace. Running away was the only thing she could think to do. She had no idea where she was running to as she found herself running into a park and out the other side. Looping around she made her way back to the alley way behind the cafe where she heaved from all the running. Pulling her cap off, she tore the ridiculously large shirt and apron off as if it was suffocating her. Leaning her back onto the wall as she slowed her breathing, she calmed herself as she made her way back into the cafe to see both girls eyeing her suspicously. 

Shaking her head, Minzy tossed the items onto the counter, "I told you guys I have bad luck with the register." 

"Minzy," Seunghyun burst through the doors as he stared at the backside of the woman facing the two girls. "Minzy is that really you," he heaved trying to catch his breath. 

Minzy looked at the two girls as she shook her head, "Tell Grandma I had to leave." Turning she moved around the man to head out the door. Pulling her phone out of her pocket, she went to make a call to have it pulled out of her hands. 

"Minzy don't ignore me, please," he breathed as he held his hand away from her. He was so much taller than her that it was easy to keep things out of her reach. 

She let out a soft sigh as she briefly looked into his eyes, "Hi Seunghyun, now can I get my phone back?" 

It was like she had just walked out of his dreams, but even better. She looked different in a good way. The changes were subtle with her hair long and wavy, her features were more soft and carved to perfection yet it was all still her. He couldn't believe his eyes as she tried her best not to be fazed by his annoying boyish manners. "Not until you give me a proper greeting," he teased as he wiggled his eyebrows at her. 

She inwardly groaned as she reached for the collar of his shirt and brought him eye level with her. Staring deep into his eyes that shone a soft honey color in the sunlight, she pressed her lips tightly together before softly speaking. "It's good to see you Seunghyun. Now may I please have my phone," she said sweetly. 

"It's like music to my ears," he smiled brightly as he sent himself a message on her phone to get her number before handing it back to her. "It's good to see you too." 

Rolling her eyes, Minzy could see the two girls gawking at the interaction and she shook her head, "No, it's not like that." 

"It's not like what," Seunghyun asked as he followed her gaze to see Jennie and Lisa waving at them. "They're the sweetest." 

"They are," she nodded as she turned to take her leave. 

"Can I take you out to dinner tonight," Seunghyun asked. "Well I mean would you like to come over for dinner. My mom is cooking something good tonight I think."

She felt a tug at her heart as she yearned to see Mrs. Choi, "We've already been through this, I promised not to see your family any longer." 

"Some promises are meant to be broken," he said hoping she would take the bait. 

"I try not to break promises I make because they become nothing more than empty words," she sadly said hoping he would understand. 

Seunghyun stiffened knowing very well he deserved what she dished out, "Then remember our first promise to be there for one another as friends." 

"Seunghyun can we really be friends after what we went through? We had tried to be friends, remember? It didn't work. Just like it won't work if I were to see your family again," her gaze fell upon the ring on his finger. She grinned as she nodded, "I'm happy for you. At least one of us has found a happily ever after." 

Seunghyun felt guilty as he yanked the ring off of his finger and held it up, "This thing? Don't tell me to be happy without you because it's not going to happen." 

Seeing him tuck his ring into his pants pocket she felt a little sad for the woman in question. Was it Bom still? Did he move on? How could he disreguard his symbol of love like that? They had talked about marriage when they were young. It was something they both agreed was special to them. When the time was right Seunghyun had promised to propose to her and she promised to accept without questioning him. Seeing the faint tan line on his finger she could tell that he had been engaged for some time. She couldn't help the feelings of being hurt. But how could she be hurt when she had been gone for five years. What did she expect? "We've been a part since high school..."

"And that was the last time anything made any ing sense to me," he growled. "My world was changed and hasn't been right since." Minzy could see the strain in his face as his shoulders slumped forward. She wondered if he too felt the pain of seeing each other again, "I'm scared."

She pressed her lips tightly together as she moved to take his hands in hers, "Falling in love can be very scary." Taking his hands in hers, the memories flashed in her mind of the various times they had sought each other out for comfort for whatever reason. 

"It wasn't with you. It happened naturally," he grinned as he squeezed her hands as the familiar feelings of comfort overwhelmed him with her touch. 

She shrugged, "Every relationship is different you can't compare them or else it won't stand a chance." Pulling away, she held her hand out, "Give me that ring." He quietly did what he was told as he placed the gold band into the palm of her hand and she moved to take his hand and placed the ring onto his finger again. Thinking back to when they were kids in her mind she was keeping her end of their promise. She was willingly accepting his choice to move on without her, "Our worlds are always changing. Don't fear this change it could be for the better." 

"I love you Minzy," his eyes watered in disbelief that she was being so brave compared to him. 

"I will always love you Seunghyun even if we are no longer together. Just don't hunt me down like this again to say it," she chuckled as he nodded. Stepping forward, she embraced him tightly as her eyes watered. "Stop trying to find me okay?" 

"Then stop running away," he teased. 

"No promises," she teased right back as she released him. "Now if you aren't here to buy anything I'm going to have to ask you to leave. I have to go back to work," she shrugged as she moved back to the counter taking the uniform in hand she nodded to the two girls. "They will take good care of you. My baking skills are not as good as Grandma's so don't judge me too harshly." 

"I won't," Seunghyun smiled as he stood by the counter and looked at the items. "I want one of each item she baked," Seunghyun spoke up loud enough for Minzy to hear as she moved to the kitchen. Shaking her head, she smiled to herself as she went about checking on the supplies. 

"Seriously who are you," Lisa and Jennie came to the back to see Minzy reviewing the supply inventory. 

Minzy chuckled as she looked at the supplies and noticed they didn't match with what was supposed to be with inventory. "I'm telling you I'm no one special. But do you girls know why the inventory supplies are off?"

Jennie and Lisa shrugged, "Our boss does that." 

"Well I'm going to have a word with your boss," Minzy sighed. 

"Just be careful okay, he can get real mean," Jennie frowned. 

Lisa nodded as she added, "Our friend Rose quite after he yelled at her last week for standing up to Fei." 

"That's not right," Minzy frowned.

"Yeah but he's still our boss," Jennie figured. "And you just kicked him out for the day." 

"I can't have whatever drama he's involved in to affect the business or the employees of this business. It's unprofessional," she shook her head. "Anyway, let's just get back to work. We're almost done for the day." 

The girls nodded as the resumed their positions up front while Minzy gladly took her position in the kitchen. Baking more goods, since Seunghyun had taken a bunch she went about the kitchen doing her thing. When she had placed the cupcakes in the oven, she was surprised to see Bom bursting through the door. "Do you think you can just waltz right back into town and steal Seunghyun away from me?!" 

"Are you an employee? If not I'm going to have to ask you to leave the kitchen now," Minzy disregaurded her question as she pointed to the door. 

"I can do whatever the hell I want," Bom growled. 

"Hmm..." she hummed. "Let's just call Grandma and see if that is true." Taking her phone out, Bom paled as she shook her head.

"Don't call Grandma! I'm leaving! But let this be a warning that Seunghyun is my man not yours," Bom snapped. 

"If you're so sure of it then why are you here," Minzy shrugged indifferent to her threat. "Did he say he needed a break from you," she taunted her. 

Bom bit her lower lip as she tried to stop the tears from falling, "Does this look like a break to you?!" She flashed her the big diamond ring. "Even if we were on break it's none of your business." 

"Then don't bring your business here. I don't really care about you or your feelings," Minzy rolled her eyes. Turning back to the oven, she checked on the cupcakes as she made herself look busy to have Bom leave. 

"This is the most action we've had in the Cafe since never," Jennie teased as Lisa came in chuckling. 

"I don't care what you say, you are someone special," Lisa said. 

"Believe what you want. I'm just here to work for Grandma," Minzy said figuring she was at a loss to prove to them other wise.