35.

Strong Willed

Minzy lay in bed wondering what she had just got herself into. Though she agreed to work for Teddy at Park construction she did not ask questions about the situation. Grandma asked her if she could help, but never specified with what. Sighing as she turned to her side she found it hard to sleep with all the endless possibilities of what could happen at Park construction. Frustrated for such overwhelming thoughts, she pushed herself up and out of bed. 

 

Minzy grinned to herself as she rolled down her window. Turning up the music on the radio, she mindlessly cruised around. Nodding her head, she wondered if her old hang out was still around. Pulling around to the night club that seemed to be flowing with a good amount of people, but not to the point of being packed she parked her car and decided to go in. 

As the doors were opened, the neon lights flashing in the dark and the loud music hit her all at once. Bobbing to the music, she slid into the corner seat of the bar like she used to. Tapping her fingers to the beat of the music, the bar tender nodded her way and she gladly ordered a couple shots. Catching the shots sent her way, she picked up the first glass and looked into it before taking the rim of the glass to her lips and downing it quickly. Taking the other shots, she felt a tiny rush and nodded for the bar tender to send her more. Feeling her pocket vibrate, she pulled her phone out and noticed a text from her best friend. Quickly sending a text to tell her she was out drinking had a quick response of her phone ringing.

"Hello," Minzy answered as she pressed the phone to her ear to help drown out the music.

"What the actual ?! You're at a club?! Since when do you ever go to the club? You never went to the club with me," CL said offended. 

Minzy chuckled as she thanked the bar tender with the next round of shots, "I couldn't sleep. I just wanted to come out and clear my mind a bit." 

"You usually clear your mind by staying in to watch a movie and ordering take out," CL said suspiciously. "Are you there with someone?"

"No, I'm here by myself," Minzy said as she began drinking again. 

"So you're sad drinking?"

"Not sad, just clearing my mind," Minzy said to clarify. 

"Okay , well just be careful. I'll talk to you tomorrow because that loud music in the background is too much for me," CL said before bidding farewell. 

Hanging her phone up, she ordered one more round. As her shots were being placed in front of her, someone quickly took the last shot away. Ready to breathe fire on the devil who stole her drink, she glared up to the man who stood next to her. Her words were caught in as she came face to face with a familiar face. "Se7en," she breathed as she quickly embraced him tightly. 

"Hey kid," he chuckled as he hugged her back. 

Reluctently she pulled back to look up to him, "What are you doing here?"

He grinned as he eyed her, "I am part owner of this club. What about you? What are you doing here?" 

"Part owner," she gasped in awe. "Congrats! Good for you. I bet you're a great owner."

He shrugged as they both sat down, "Well I have to do good, now that I am a married man and all I have to be more responsible." 

"You're married?! That is amazing! You are probably a great husband too," Minzy smiled as she pat his arm. 

"Thanks, tell my wife that," he chuckled. "No but seriously, how are you even here? I heard that you up and moved away without a trace. You had everyone looking for you." 

She let out a long sigh as she turned back to her drinks, "Well, I'm back now." Her words were qucikly silenced as she drank up her shots. Standing on her feet, she placed some money on the bar and smiled over at Se7en, "It was so good running into you. I hope you and your wife live well." 

"In for drinks and out again," he asked teasingly. "Maybe...." 

"Boss there's another fight that broke out by the restrooms," a security came rushing over. 

Se7en let out a heavy sigh as he stood, moving forward he hugged Minzy tightly, "I hope you're living well too. Take care Minzy." Minzy stood and smiled as she watched Se7en disappear. Taking her leave, she couldn't help but feel a little better. Seeing Se7en always made her feel lighter, she thought as she hopped into her car. 

Making her way into the apartment, she nodded towards the security guard as she made her way to the elevator. Pushing the top floor, she moved back as someone caught the door before it completely closed. Teddy quickly boarded when the doors opened and Minzy turned to stare out the glass window. The ride was quiet, but Minzy was now too sleeply to care. 

"Long day," Teddy spoke up. She only nodded as she stayed quiet before the doors opened. "Good night Minzy."

"Good night," she grinned as she made her way into her apartment. 

 

Minzy sat quietly in her car staring at the lit trailer before her. She remembered the last time she was early years ago, it was nice to mingle with Teddy but now it was a little different. She knew him better and their few interactions felt too intense and she was not wanting that so early in the morning. So there she sat, smoothing out her pencil skirt and cleaning up her makeup. Right when it was time for her to start, she hopped out of the car and made her way towards the trailer. Softly knocking on the door, she heard him call out to her to come in. 

"Good morning, I wondered how long you were going to stay sitting out there. Please have a seat," he gestured to the seat in front of his desk. 

She blushed in embarassment, not knowing what to say as she took a seat, "Thanks." 

"Alright Minzy, so since I know that you have two degrees..." 

"How did you know that? I didn't even put together a resume...did Grandma tell you?" 

He nodded as he continued, "I will be giving you more responsibilities. You only have to dress up Mondays and Fridays for meetings and office work. Tuesday through Thursday you can dress business casual for construction workers because you will be out in the field with me." 

"I'm going to be doing heavy labor," she asked as she tried to picture it. 

He chuckled as he shook his head, "No, I mean only if you want to. But I am just saying that these projects are outside and very messy I don't want you ruining your nice clothes and heels." 

"Oh, so thoughtful," she nodded. 

"Yes, so since today is Monday I have some office work and meetings I want you to work on with me," he started to begin his work list for the day. 

 

Minzy had been so focused and determined in organizing the files that she did not realize it was the afternoon. She had been grateful that Teddy allowed her to work in peace as he stayed quietly working away on his paper work at his desk. "I think you should probably take your lunch," Teddy called over to her, breaking the peaceful silence between them. 

"Okay, I'll just put these last few files away and then I'll go take a break," Minzy said. 

Taking her leave, she made her way back to her car and pulled out her lunch box. Grinning happily at her beautiful creation, she began to dig in. Eating away, she paused as she noticed Bom walking towards the trailer with a lunch box in hand. Rolling her eyes, she picked up her phone and snapped a picture to send to CL of her new job. Suddenly the trailer door flew open with a bang. She watched as Bom came out screaming in frustration, while swinging the lunch box around as she glared up at Teddy who moved into the doorway. Teddy appeared to keep his calm talking to Bom, but Bom on the other hand was shaking her head and furiously storming off. Minzy sat quietly staring for a moment longer to connect eyes with Teddy who looked over at her knowingly. This made Minzy gaze back down to her food, feeling awkward for getting caught at staring.

A knock came at her window and she looked up to see Teddy standing there. "Can I join you for lunch," he smiled. 

She nodded and waved him over to the passenger seat, "Yeah..."

"Hey," he sighed as he jumped in. Minzy noticed that he came empty handed and offered to share with him. "Thanks," he gladly accepted and hummed in approval as he ate. She smiled as she ate with him. Letting him have most of it, she giggled as he stuffed his face full. "This is so good!"

"Well I guess I'll have to make more than I did for tomorrow," she continued to laugh as he nodded real quick.

Swallowing his portion, he let out a sigh of relief, "Sorry you had to see that."

"It's none of my business..." 

"But it is..." he stopped. 

Minzy went quiet as she watched him try to figure out what to say. "Well...I think we better get back to work." 

"Umm...yeah sure," he coughed as he moved to get out. 

 

The rest of the day Minzy was grateful to have finished filing and organizing the paper work within one day compared to the next week or so as Teddy explained to her. "Well boss, I am all done with the next week or so's work," Minzy grinned victoriously at the cleared space. 

"Whoa the office is two times bigger," Teddy said impressed. "Great job! That is all I have for you today, so you can head out early." 

"Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow then," Minzy said before excusing herself. 

 

Minzy found herself filled from arm to arm with groceries. Stumbling into the apartment, she was grateful that the security guard came rushing over to open the door for her. "Thank you," she breathed as she walked in. 

"Do you need help carrying all that up," he looked at her with concern. 

She chuckled as she moved towards the elevator, "I got this!" 

 

Minzy grooved to the music playing as she continued to cook. She had just finished packing lunch for herself and Teddy, now it was time to make some dinner to settle down. She had decided on making a delicious soup as she heard the doorbell ring. Walking over to the door she smiled as she opened it to see Teddy standing with a big smile. "I have more wine for you," he lifted both bottles up to her. 

"Thank you," she cheered gleefully as she let him in. "Then I guess I owe you some food. I hope you're in the mood for some home made soup." 

"That sounds heavenly," he grinned as he placed the bottles onto the counter. "Would you like some help?" 

She shook her head as she nodded to the sofa, "It's alright, go relax I got this." 

"You don't have to tell me twice," he chuckled as he plopped onto the sofa. 

 

Minzy set the table and poured soup into the bowls before looking over to see Teddy fast asleep. Walking over to him she frowned seeing how exhausted he looked. She wondered why he was over working himself, as she called out to him. "Teddy...Teddy..." 

"Minzy..." he mumbled as he twitched in his sleep. The crease that formed at his brows, signaled the look of worry as he mumbled her name again. 

Sighing, she reached out and patted his arm, "Teddy?" Seeing him still fast asleep, she bent over and shook his shoulder and whispered his name again closer to him. Somehow he came face to face with her as his eyes slowly started to open. "Hey..." 

"Hey," he mumbled as he smiled. 

Pulling away, she nudged him to get up and come over to the table. "I'm sorry I took so long." 

"It's okay, thanks for dinner," Teddy said politely as he took his seat after her. 

The pair talked about work and her amazing filing and organizing skills, along with her cooking skills. As the safe topics soon became dull, there was a silence that fell between them. More so Minzy as she watched Teddy finish up his third bowl. "Would you like some wine to top it off," she asked. 

But he shook his head and patted his stomach, "No, I think I'm good." She nodded as she went quiet. "Minzy..." She looked up at him and grinned as she awaited what he had to say, "I know you think Grandma is making things hard for you. But she really does need your help." 

"I know," she softly answered. "I just...don't know what exactly I am supposed to be helping with. Why is she so desperate for my help?"

"I know Grandma does not want to tell you everything just yet, but from my part I feel it right that you must know that Mr. Park passed away unexpectedly two years ago. Ever since he passed, things have been turned upside down," he confessed sadly. 

"I..." Minzy was not expecting such news, but as she thought more into it she never saw or heard from Mr. Park since she returned. "I can't believe he's gone," she softly said as the tears began to spill over. Grateful for Teddy's warm embrace, she cried feeling sadness for a good man being taken away at such a young age. 

 

Minzy awoke to the throbbing headache. Groaning as she slowly came to, she was surprised to see herself in Teddy's strong embrace. Blinking her eyes, to clearly look at the man who held her captive in his arms, he looked so at peace and boyish in his sleep. Quietly laying in his arms a moment longer, she inwardly sighed as she slipped out. Stumbling onto her feet a bit, she moved to her bedroom and brought out one of her blankets. Placing it as best as she could over him, she was startled as he caughter her hand before she could move away. Interested by the fact that he appeared fully asleep, she watched as his face contorted in a pain struck way as he softly mumbled her name. Frowning at the fact that she was the cause of disturbing his peaceful state, she lightly pulled away not to wake him. Retrieving some medication and water on the coffee table near him, she sadly grinned down at Teddy before retreating to her room. 

 

After getting ready for work, she walked into the kitchen to retrieve her and Teddy's lunches. Gazing over towards the sofa's, she noticed that it was empty. Walking over she grinned to see that he had left her blanket neatly folded on the sofa. Shaking her head at his politeness, she grabbed the lunches and made her way to work. She was excited to see the look on Teddy's face when he saw that she made him his very own lunch box. Pulling up to the trailer, a thought crossed her mind and she nodded to herself and quietly entered the trailer to see Teddy reviewing some files. Placing both lunch boxes before him, she smiled brightly down at him ready to take on the day. "I figured I would make you a lunch so you wouldn't eat all of mine," she said in a teasing manner. Teddy glanced up with and chuckled as he continued to look over the papers in his hands. "Also, this is my way of asking if you could possibly take me to Mr. Park's grave after work today?" Seeing as he froze and looked up at her, she was quick to respond. "I...I mean if you have time. Or if you could just give me directions..."

"I'll take you," he nodded. 

She let out a soft sigh of relief, "Thanks." Nodding to herself, she knew that today they would be working out in the field so she didn't know if sitting was the best options at this point. "So...what are we doing today?" 

Teddy sighed, as he stuffed the papers back into the file before standing on his feet. "Today you take a tour of our current project and I introduce you to some of the team that makes this company run." 

"Awesome, let's do it," Minzy felt excited to be doing more than just organizing papers. 

 

Being in jeans and work boots was a new feel in a work setting. In a sense it felt more freeing as she hopped out of the car and followed behind Teddy. "Now just remember, take it all in." Nodding, she smiled as she was welcomed by various construction workers as she was being introduced. Many of which gave her father praise when Teddy told them who her father was. It was nice for her to hear that her father's legacy still lived on. It was also nice to be able to actually visualize the projects rather than solely working off the paper work. 

"Boss, we can't cut these corners," the construction worker began to explain.Teddy appeared to press his lips tightly together as the worker continued to talk, "I don't think the other boss understands..." 

Minzy watched as Teddy's face twitched with irritation. Meanwhile she wondered who the other boss could be. After finding out that Mr. Park was now gone, could it be Bom the worker was referring to? Shaking her head, she stayed listening as Teddy told the worker that he agreed and that the work should be done the right way. Giving the worker a reassuring pat on the shoulder, Teddy nodded as he turned to walk away. 

As Minzy was about to ask about this other boss, Teddy abruptly turned to look down at her. Taking hold of her shoulders, he looked her dead in the eyes. "Never cut corners. Quality is always better than quantity." She could only nod, as she had no idea why he was telling her in such a desperate way. Watching as he let out a heavy sigh, he ran his fingers through his hair, "How about we go see Mr. Park sooner than later?" Nodding brightly, she gladly followed suit.