11.

Strong Willed

As the elevator doors opened, Minzy glanced over to see Jay placing on a huge pair of black sun glasses. But the glance was intercepted as Seunghyun shifted into her view giving her a half grin. She didn't mirror his small gesture and instead looked away and push through the doors before they were fully opened. Taking a deep breath of fresh air as she walked outside, she slowed her pace enough to have Jay walk along side her.

"Minzy we should really talk this..."

"Jay let's not. We only fooled around, of course it was only natural that you would be fooling around with someone else as well," she stopped a good distance towards the parking lot.

"How did you..."

"Know? I'm not stupid Jay and for the record I know you're fooling with that new singer Ailee." The shock and disbelief was a little amusing to her. "Do you not read the news and gossip about yourself?"

"I do, it's just...it's just that I'm sure my company had denied all claims."

She shrugged her shoulders as she grinned, "I read into it and the story with you and Ailee sounded like something you'd do. Like I said, you need to be careful. The kind of business you're in can crumble within mere seconds." She could see the rage through his dark shades, but she had to make it known. "Jay I really do wish you the best. I just don't think I'm able to give that to you."

Whipping off his sun glasses he glared at her with intensity, "Why? Why not?! Please don't tell me you're still with that pathetic guy. Zelo told me you still were! I ing hate that guy! If I were to ever meet him I'd..."

"You'd what," she asked as she glanced away to see Seunghyun standing from a distance. Focusing closer she noticed he had a cigarette in his hand. "What a dumb ," she hissed before looking back at Jay. "I'm sorry I have to go."

"Where do you have to go when I'm trying my best to pour my heart out to you," he barked.

She grinned as she moved in to embrace him tightly, "Thank you Jay for your help. I hope you know that Ailee has something more for you than just a fling." Pecking his cheek, she gave him one last grin before walking away. Minzy did her best to stay calm as she made her way over to Seunghyun. Lucky for her, he was too deep in thought as he was looking out to nowhere. Sighing as she stepped up to him, she smacked the cigarette out of his hand and stomped on it. 

"What the ," he hissed as he glanced down to see what was going on. "What did you do that for?!"

"Seunghyun you , do you know how long it took me to help you quit?! We worked so hard for you to throw it all away."

"Why does it even matter any more," he shrugged as he reached for his pack in his pocket.

She glared at him before snatching the pack out of his hands, "I'm not going to let you kill yourself over these cancer sticks! C'mon Seunghyun you are better than this! And you'll ruin your lungs and loose your breath when you're playing basketball."

"Am I?! Am I really better than this Minzy?! I'm tired of trying to be someone I'm not. Why can't I just smoke one? It's not like I've stopped you from drinking," he tried to justify his actions.

Minzy went quiet as she watched him fume out his frustrations on her. Was he hurting like she hurting like she was? There had to be an explanation for his rash decision, but what could it be? "Seunghyun what is going on, really? This isn't like you," she softly spoke.

"I...I don't even know any more Minzy. I'm so confused..." his gaze was that of pleading for help and understanding.

"Seunghyun before we were even in a relationship we once were friends. Tell me what's up."

He sighed not wanting to look her in the eyes. He didn't know where to start or even how to explain what was running through his mind. "Minzy why are you doing this?"

"Doing what?"

"Why do you even care after all that I've put you through?"

She paused to think about his question. He was right. Why was she there? Most importantly why did she even care?  She bit her lower lip as she thought deeply on what to say. She knew the answer, but how could she voice it? "Are you really asking me that question right now?"

He chuckled darkly as he shook his head, "I don't understand you Minzy."

"Most people don't," she grinned.

"But why me? Why do you choose to stand by me after all that we've gone through?" Shaking his head, "You've had many opportunities to leave me yet you stay."

She stepped forward and cupped his face into her hands. Grinning as she looked into his eyes, he looked as if he was some kind of lost puppy. "Do you really feel that insecure about me after all these years?" Her question was sincere and honest as she stood gazing up into his eyes. 

"Seunghyun," a voice called bringing them back to reality. They both looked to see Bom standing there with expecting eyes. "What's going on here?"

Minzy sighed as she released his face. Turning she made her way back to the hospital, but stopping as her shoulder bumped into Bom's. Glancing over, she felt nothing but hate for the girl. "You are one annoying did you know that? You just love complicating my life."

"You didn't know? I was born to make your life a living hell," Bom smirked.

"Says the one who looks like hell," Minzy smirked victoriously. "Not even plastic surgery would heal the ugly on your face," she added before roughly pushing her shoulder against hers. 

 

Minzy did her best to hold a smile on her face, but it just wouldn't stay. Reaching down, she brushed a stray hair away from her brother's face. He looked so fragile with his bandages on. But he was a fighter in her eyes for being so strong to have gone through a third surgery in a week. A knock came at the door and Minzy turned to see her two best friends. She grinned as she waved them in. "Hey guys, Zelo just came out of the recovery room," Minzy whispered as she approached the pair.

"Oh okay, then I guess we can talk with you," Hyuna grinned as she lifted some bags. "I don't think this is allowed but we brought you a little gift." Opening the bag, Hyuna released the two bottles of vodka. 

"Why thank you," Minzy chuckled as she snatched the bag out of her hands. 

"We also brought some munchies and movies," Fei added as they started to make themselves at home. 

Minzy was so grateful for her friends. They talked and laughed as they watched random movies. The alcohol was secretly being passed around even if Zelo was still asleep. It made things a little more exciting. " stop hogging it all," Fei pouted as she tried to take the bottle out of Minzy's hand.

"Ssshhh! You'll wake sleeping beauty," Minzy teased as she took another huge gulp. 

"That's all you care about, is your alcohol! What about prom?! It's like in a week and we're all still dateless," Hyuna frowned as she snatched the bottle away to take a drink.

" dates who needs them," Minzy shrugged as she stole the bottle right back. 

"Uh excuse me sweetie you do! You're the one being nominated for queen. It's only right that we find you a date," Fei insisted. "But exactly who could it be?"

"What about..."

Minzy rose her index finger to stop her, "Uh no thank you. I know your taste in men and they are far from the type of guy that could me to the prom."

"Hey that's no fair Minzy! Not every guy I'm with is a manwhore," Hyuna huffed.

"Okay  Hyuna give me at least two guys who didn't try to you on the first date," Minzy smirked at her challenge.

"What about..." She paused and seriously thought it through. There had to be one she was sure of it. "Doo Joon!"

Fei shook her head, "No he doesn't count, he was just trying to make me jealous."

"Which didn't work since he tried to caress Hyuna's thigh at that lame house party we went to sophomore year," Minzy added.

"Oh yeah," Hyuna pouted before she scrunched her nose at them. 

"Don't worry Minzy I got you. There's this really handsome dance choreographer that all the girls would die for," Fei winked at her and nodded.

But in truth Minzy had her mind made up. Though she was grateful for her best friends suggestions on her perfect date. Her perfect date had been planned far in advance. She remembered it like it had just happened yesterday. His smiling face and strong grasp of her hand as they lay underneath the blue sky. It was in the midst of their random conversation that he was the one who had brought up their senior prom. At the time she thought it silly for him to be thinking so far ahead when they weren't even in high school. But she kept that thought to herself as she listened to how magical he was going to make that night for her. He promised that he would be her Prince Charming and whisk her up into his arms as they floated across the dance floor and into the skies to dance amongst the stars. The thoughts of how he scooped her up in his arms and twirled her around caused a small smile to form at her lips.

"Earth to Minzy! Girl are you listening," Hyuna waved her hands in front of her face.

Minzy blinked away the memory as she shook her head and looked at Hyuna, "What?"

"Were you listening to what we were talking about," Fei eyed her somewhere frustrated

"Yes I heard you. I don't care really, but let's talk about what's more important. Dress shopping," Minzy squealed in hopes to lighten the mood. Both Hyuna and Fei fell right into the trap and squealed along. Grinning as she watched her best friends chatting away about the latest fashion, she sat thinking about memories of the past.

 

Minzy stood in the middle of the hallway in a daze. Everyone seemed to be rushing around her in every direction, yet she stood still. With prom coming up, the halls were decorated and the chance of a little romance was in the air. She stood quietly watching a fellow classmate sneak up to a girl and surprise her with a a red rose to ask her to prom. The light in the girl's face brightened the hall as she jumped into his arms to accept wholeheartedly. "," she hissed as she glared at the girl. Minzy was envious of her classmates, though she didn't want to admit to it. She was nominated for queen for Christ sake! Yet her popularity meant nothing as she still remained dateless. It didn't help that her crown was in jepordy. Standing in the halls as they announced the finalist, she was part of the group. Grinning at something going right, she'd have to thank her campaign managers for all their hard work and dilligence. Her train of thought was interupted as Bom's name was the last one called. Cringing at the thought of it being between herself and Bom, she couldn't shake the sick feeling that followed. She was currently in the fight for Seunghyun's attention, now with the crown it was becoming a little too much. 

"Hey girl, you're gonna be late for class," Hyuna waved her hand in front of Minzy's face to bring her back to the present.

Shaking her head, Minzy smiled, "Sorry just had a moment."

"Moment? Care to explain," she asked.

"I just..."

Fei came bolting over with her hands wailing around, "Minzy! Minzy! I need to tell you something!"

"What," she chuckled at her silly best friend.

"Bom apparently is dateless as well! Rumor has it that Seunghyun isn't going to ask anyone. He can't seem to find the balls to ask you or Bom!" It was a curse to be popular when it came to rumors. Yet Minzy understood the cost and was able to cope, but she wondered how Bom was handling it. "And..."

"And," Minzy asked surprised there was more.

"And I guess Bom is whinning about you being the reason why she's dateless. She's telling people that you're a relationship wrecker and she was going to confront you on it," Fei finally finished.

Minzy coughed a laugh as she glanced at Hyuna in disbelief, "What? How am I the relationship wrecker?!"

Hyuna caught hold of Minzy's shoulder before she could storm off, "Hey don't worry about her. Let us take care of her. We don't want you ruining your image with Bom being neck and neck with you for the crown."

"Hyuna you better take care of her! Or I will wreck more than a relationship, but her face once again," she growled before walking off to class.

 

Minzy did her best to concentrate in her classes, but she couldn't help the venom running through her veins. As the bell rang for lunch she sent a quick text to Hyuna and Fei that she wasn't able to make it to lunch mania. It was silly really, the different lunch time activities the nominees participated in for points and face time for the voters. Though many people thought that she was too high maintence or cool to participate, she surprised them by showing up and full heartedly winning every activity. Making her way out of the building, she booked it to her car before Hyuna and Fei could chase after her. Smiling victoriously, she drove off to find a peace of mind to control her raging anger.

 

She sighed as she glanced down at the papers in her hands. Her brother was truly something as he requested her to bring him all his homework. With homework in hand, she opened his room door trying to review what subjects she had in hand. "It looks like you're going to make your head hurt a little more with this math," she chuckled and gazed up to see Seunghyun sitting next to Zelo.

"Hey sis, great! I've been wanting to do something a little more challenging," Zelo replied as he held out his hand.

"Wha...what are you...what are you doing here," she asked confused by Seunghyun's presence. "Aren't you supposed to be at school for the lunch mania?"

He gave her a crooked grin and shrugged his shoulders, "I didn't feel up to it today. Aren't you supposed to be there too?"

"Minzy stop making this situation all weird and let him stay. Can I please have my homework now," Zelo cut into their exchange.

She shook her head as her confusion turned into anger, "No he can't stay."

Zelo coughed a laugh and shook his head, "Minzy if you haven't noticed it's my room and I can say who can stay or not."

"After what he let his little girlfriend say about you?! No! No I will not allow him to be here," she snapped.

"Zelo I think it's time..."

"No, whatever happened between you and Seunghyun is between you two. He's still my friend Minzy," Zelo cut in. He turned to look at Seunghyun, "Please stay. We haven't talked in a long time."

Minzy was enraged at what was happening. She couldn't stand by and let this go, "Fine! Let him take care of you then!" She tossed the homework onto the bed before storming out. She didn't let herself think of her actions as she rushed down the hall and pushed the elevator button. Her blood was pumping as the next thing she realized was finding herself down the stairs and out of the hospital doors. She was startled to come face to face with Bom. She stood glaring with accusing eyes, but she didn't have time for her as she pushed past her. Ignoring the annoying voice calling after her, she raised her middle finger in the air as she left.

 

Minzy hummed a content sigh as she dropped an empty carton of mint ice cream onto her floor. She couldn't remember the last time she got ice cream wasted. Grinning at her brilliant idea of escaping to her bedroom, it was the last place anyone would expect her to be at. Drifting off to her music, she kept her phone off as she hoped for better dreams than the reality she was living in.

 

Groaning as she turned to her side, she tried to drown out the shouting. But the shouting only continued to grow louder with the sound of things being thrown. To others this would be an alarming situation, but it was just another night for her. Minzy debated on whether or not to see what the issue was or fall back asleep. Her mind was made up when she heard her father yell her name. Rolling out of bed, she took a deep breath before opening her door. Glass, trash, furniture were everywhere as if a tornado had blown through. Following where the shouting was coming from she saw her mother sobbing on the ground with her father standing above her shouting. Minzy felt her stomach tighten along with her fists as she marched over and shoved her dad before yanking her mom's arm.

"Get up," Minzy growled as she continued to tug on her mother's arm.

"Where the are you taking her you ing ," her father shouted as he pulled her mom back.

Minzy's mom was tugged back and forth like a rag doll. "Let her go!"

"Go to hell you and leave this one with me," her dad argued back.

"What...is this about...tonight," she yelled as she tried to keep her grip onto her mom who seemed to not put up a fight to either side.

"What is this about tonight?! it's about you," he barked as he pushed his wife out of the way to step up to Minzy.

"What the did I do," she shouted to be met with a punch to the face. She reached for the pulsing pain by , to see blood. Her anger started to run through her veins as she glared at him.

"Why do you have to make my life so difficult?! Do you know who talked to me today?! It was my ing boss," he growled as he picked up a vase and threw it at her.

Minzy dodged the vase and moved to create more space between them, "And what does that have to do with me?!"

He picked up the big shattered pieces and began to throw them at her, "I thought I was going to get fired today!" She hissed as one of the sharp pieces cut her arm when she tried to shield her face. "But no, my boss pulled me in to talk about you!" As she tried to comprehend what he was saying, while keeping herself protected, she somehow found herself slipping and being caught by the hair. She tried not to scream as he yanked her back and hissed into her ear, "Leave Bom the alone and her boyfriend!"

It was in that moment that she flipped and twisted in his grasp to punch him in his ball sacks repeatedly. The anger over powered the pain as she continued to punch harder, dodging his blocks. He eventually released as she found herself stomping on his balls and stomach. "Bom?! Bom?! Are you ing kidding me," she kept repeating as she kicked the out of him. Pausing she grabbed various pieces of the vase and began throwing them down at him as she crushed them against him with her shoes she had luckily fallen asleep with.

"Stop it Minzy! You're really going to hurt him," her mom's voice echoed.

With a swift kick to the face, she spit the blood from her lips on him, "Leave me the alone!" Seeing her father passed out, she stood glaring at him.

"Minzy stop, you're scaring me. You look like your father when you're like this," her mother cried.

"Well maybe you should stop letting him beat the out of you and you wouldn't see me like this," she snapped. Pausing as she closed her eyes, she took a deep breathe before looking at her mom again, "Please clean this mess up. You and dad always leave me to clean your guy's mess." Grabbing her keys and purse, she made her way out the house. Opening her garage, she jumped into her car and glanced back to pull out. As her car moved onto the street, she was startled to see Seunghyun standing there. But it didn't stop her from driving off as she gave him the same finger she gave Bom earlier that day. Grinning as she blasted her music down the streets, she stopped at a red light to look at her face. "Gross..." she frowned at her reflection and reached into her purse to find some napkins and makeup.

"Excuse me miss, the light is green," a familiar voice called out to her.

Glancing over, she saw Seunghyun grinning at her. Rolling her eyes, she flipped him off before speeding away. Annoyed that he was following her, she pressed down on the gas. Smirking as she watched him speed up as well. She stuck her tongue out at him when he made circles around her as they weaved in and out of various lanes. She chuckled at the memory of when they first got their driver's license. They would find any excuse to be in their cars to race each other. But of course Seunghyun had to remind her that his car was faster than hers by making circles around her. Though Seunghyun's car was faster, she knew her car and it's strengths. Coming upon an empty road, she quickly swivered and breaked causing her car to drift. Laughing as he breaked and drove off the road, she turned the car around and drifted next to his car to wink at him before driving off. Pulling into a nearby park, she was grateful to see that most of the people were making their way out of it. Walking down the sidewalk, she found herself slipping off her shoes to feel the cool sand as she made her way to the swing set. Tossing her shoes to the side, she took a seat and let her feet drag across the sand. Watching her feet drag lines into the sand, she took in a deep breath of fresh air as she started to push herself. Letting herself swing higher as she wished to fly away.

 

Minzy turned from side to side as she adjusted her outfit. She hated the fact that she had to modify her outfits to hide the cuts and bruises. She had become a professional with thinking outside the box since she was young, especially since she almost was taken away, with Zelo from showing up with bruises to school in elementary. Sighing she picked up her big black shades and looked at her phone and shook her head before leaving it behind. Upset as she pulled up to see someone had parked in her spot, she parked next to her spot and walked into school. Ready to find the owner of the car, she was caught off guard to come face to face with the principal. "You have some nerve coming to school today young lady. You are suspended! And you can kiss prom queen goodbye!"

"What? Why? What did I do?"

He shook his head displeased with what he was hearing, "Please leave the school grounds immediately!"

"I...I..." she was at loss for words. "If it's about not returning after lunch hour, I can assure you that suspending me is a little too extreme."

"Minzy! Minzy," Fei and Hyuna pushed past the principal.

"Where have you been?!"

"Why haven't you answered your phone?!"

"I left it at home. Why? Did you guys get me suspended," she glared at the pair.

They both shook their heads, "No! But that's the least of our worries!"

"Then what is the matter?"

"It's Zelo," they both said with worry in their voices.

 

Author's Notes:

Please bare with me as I'm switching my schedule around to go to school in the fall. I will do my best to update, but as you can tell it's like super random. Thanks for reading and commenting!

PS: Please check out and show some love to this awesome oneshot that won my contest! A Picture Worth Three Words. Thanks!