Part 47

The Stranger

 

Youngjae stepped out of the taxi after paying the driver and lugged his suitcase into the apartment block. He pressed the button to call the lift and the doors opened, he got in and pushed the button with the highest number on it. The lift went up, not even stopping once, and finally the doors opened. There was a corridor with two doors on it. He went to the door on the left and typed in the key code. The door opened and he went into his apartment, leaving his suitcase just inside the door. He took off his shoes and dropped his coat onto the floor. He walked over to the couch and face planted it, throwing himself into it, face pressed into the cushion, as if to stop the tears.
 
"Daehyunnie," he said to the cushion, "Daehyunnie got angry." He paused, as if to listen to the cushion. "Guppie? Guppie cried," he replied to the black cushion. "I wish I hadn't left, but Appa had called me telling me to come back soon. Has he been here?" he asked. "He said he would. He wants me to finally take over the company, but I don't feel ready. And, if I did, I wouldn't be able to see Daehyunnie or Jonguppie as much, I'll always be at work." He listened for the response. "Yeah, I won't be home as often. Home sure is lonely."
 
Youngjae grabbed the talking cushion and walked to the window, crushing it to his chest. He looked out the floor-to-ceiling window in the lounge, looking over the city. 
 
"Sure is lonely," he said again.
 
...
 
"Shall we eat? It's lunch time," he said, breaking the silence.
 
He took the cushion to the kitchen and placed it in a chair as he grabbed some bread his father must have left and some cheese from the fridge. He made a sandwich and ate it. Just as he was finishing, the front door opened and Mr Yoo walked into the kitchen and sat on the talking cushion.
 
"Youngjae! I didn't know you were back!" Youngjae's Appa greeted.
 
"I just came back," Youngjae replied.
 
"So how'd it go?" Mr Yoo asked, knowing the reason of his son's absence, being the one to encourage him to go.
 
"Well, I found him."
 
"And?" Mr Yoo asked, leaning forward in his chair.
 
Youngjae paused, wondering how to phrase it. "He has a son," Youngjae said finally.
 
"What?" Mr Yoo almost shouted. "He left you for a girl?"
 
"No, he didn't," Youngjae said, seeing the confused expression on his father's face. "It's my son, his name is Jongup. He's the result of me getting Dae pregnant."
 
Mr Yoo was silent. "So... Dae carried him and gave birth?" he finally asked. Youngjae just nodded. "Wow. I thought male pregnancies only happened in dramas." The man paused. "I have a grandson? Tell me all about him!"
 
Youngjae smiled. "His name's Jung Jongup, he was born on the 6th of February and is five years old. He always smiles and is so cute and polite and loves Pokémon."
 
"Wait," Mr Yoo interrupted. "Five years old? But you're only 22!"
 
"I know," Youngjae sighed. "I'll start from the beginning."
 
Youngjae told his father of the deal he had made with Jaebum and how Daehyun left, he told of Daehyun getting into a car accident and losing his memory and getting his heart condition, he told of how they fell in love again and how happy they were, he told of the DNA test and Daehyun fainting and remembering, he told of being screamed at by Daehyun and comforting Jongup, he told of going to the Bang house and of the Bang family, he told of leaving and giving Daehyun space, and he told of the phone call with Jongup and Junhong.
 
"Don't worry, Jae," Mr Yoo said. "I'll help you get Dae back. After all, I need to see him and my cute grandson, don't I?"
 
---
Of taking cushions and amazing Appas~
Thanks for reading! <3