Part 43

The Stranger

 

Himchan, Yongguk and Junhong were going to visit the Jung house. They had woken up to see an empty couch, the suitcase gone, and a note saying 'thank you' on their kitchen table. Junhong especially wanted to go since he could feel that his Jonguppie hyunggie wasn't happy. They were lucky that Himchan had a key because when they rung the door bell, nobody answered.
 
Junhong ran straight to Jongup's room, but panicked when he wasn't there. He ran into the kitchen where his parents had found Daehyun.
 
"Where's my Jonguppie hyunggie?" he asked. 
 
Daehyun looked up at Junhong, his skin pale and his eyes red and puffy. 
 
"In the guest room," Daehyun replied.
 
Junhong turned and ran to it, not bothering to say thank you. However, when he got there, the door was locked. He knocked.
 
"I said go away!" he heard his hyunggie shout from inside. 
 
"Jonguppie hyunggie!" Junhong shouted back. "It's Jelly! Let Jelly in!"
 
Junhong heard some shuffling and then the door unlocked and opened just wide enough to allow Junhong's small body to enter. As soon as the door was shut, Junhong was pulled into a suffocating hug by the crying Jongup.
 
"Appa's gone, Junnie!" Jongup cried. "Umma made Appa leave! I want my Appa!"
 
Junhong suddenly remembered something his Umma had given him to let Jongup borrow. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his Umma's mobile phone. Jongup stared at it.
 
"Umma said you can use it to call Jae Appa, but he needs it back afterwards," the younger said remembering his mother's words.
 
Jongup hugged him again and then looked at the piece of paper he hadn't put down since his Appa had given it to him. Junhong passed his hyunggie the phone and Jongup pressed the 11 numbers that he had memorised.
 
They waited while the dial tone played. Then suddenly it cut off.
 
"Hello?" a familiar voice responded.
 
"A-Appa?" Jongup asked.
 
"Jonguppie?" Youngjae replied.
 
"And Jelly!" Junhong shouted, making sure Youngjae could hear.
 
"Junhonggie?" Youngjae asked. "I miss you guys so much already!"
 
"I miss you too, Appa," Jongup cried.
 
"Shh, Jonguppie. Please don't cry," Youngjae said, hearing the small sobs. "Whose phone are you calling from?"
 
"Umma's," Junhong replied.
 
"Himchan's? Then I'll save the number and you can ring me every time you go and play with Junnie, OK Guppie?"
 
"Yes Appa," Jongup said sniffing.
 
There was a pause as someone said something to Youngjae and he replied. 
 
"Guppie? The train's arrived in Seoul. I need to go now, but please promise me you'll be strong and you won't cry. And please, look after Umma," Youngjae said.
 
"I'll be strong, Appa! And Junnie will help me." Junhong nodded. "But it's all Umma's fault! I hate him!" Jongup wailed.
 
"Please don't talk like that, Guppie," Youngjae said. "Umma loves you very much, he's just sad at the moment, so please, look after him."
 
"I'll do it Appa, if it makes you happy."
 
"It will, Guppie," Youngjae said, close to tears. "I need to go now. I love you Guppie, always remember that. And I love you too Junnie."
 
"I love you, Appa!" Jongup said, sobbing.
 
"Goodbye," the two boys said together.
 
"Bye, boys."
 
The phone line went dead.
 
---
Update!
Thank you again for reading! <3