Part 21

The Stranger

 

Himchan took Jongup home with him at nine, when visiting hours were over. After Jongup had left, Daehyun still gripped Kekemato to his chest and refused anyone who tried to take him off him. He had this hold on Daehyun that he couldn't understand. 
 
Around 9:30, one of the nurses came into Daehyun's room to take him into the adjoining bathroom to help him clean his teeth and shower. Once she had put his tooth brush down, she helped him to take off his hospital gown and sit on the seat in the shower in his underwear and then left him. 
 
Daehyun sat under the warm water, motionless, trying to gather up the courage to look at his body. He finally looked down at his torso and saw yet another scar from surgery. That made four now: one down the centre of his stomach for Jongup, one across his side and one on his upper thigh from the first accident and now a new one across his heart from the second. His body was hideous, the scars making him seem distorted and a badly made plastic doll where his skin was uneven and didn't match up.
 
He sighed and wondered how anyone could ever have loved someone like him, even without the scars. But obviously someone had, otherwise he wouldn't have Jongup.
 
His mind suddenly went to the man he saw when he first woke up, and smiled, even though no-one was there to see him do it. He wanted to see Youngjae again, and find out why he had looked so sad when he said he didn't know him. It pained him when he remembered the boy's face.
 
A knock on the door of the bathroom woke Daehyun up from his thoughts. 
 
"Daehyun-ssi? Are you done?" the nurse called.
 
"Almost," he called back.
 
Daehyun grabbed the soap and tried to wash his hair and his body without hurting himself as quickly as possible. For a moment he was thankful he'd been through something like this before, because he knew how much it hurt when he moved in the wrong way. Once he was done, he got out of the shower and wrapped the towel round him before stepping out of his wet underwear and putting them in the sink. He opened the door and came face-to-face with the nurse holding some clothes. She handed him clean underwear.
 
"Put these on, and then I'll help you into the gown," she said nicely.
 
He went back into the bathroom and pulled the underpants on before heading back out. The nurse put some cream into his newest scar and wrapped it in bandages, and then helped him into the fresh gown. She then took the towel that was previously round his waist and dried his hair with it and combed it into the same style it was before. She helped him into bed and tucked him in, giving him Kekemato and then told him to call if he needed anything and left the room, turning off the light as she left. He felt like a child, but he didn't mind it. The end of his childhood had been cut short anyway when he found out that he was to have a child himself, so it felt nice to be babied again.
 
Daehyun held Kekemato closer to him and buried his face in between his ears and closed his eyes, quickly drifting off into sleep.
 
---
 
Update!!! Wooooo~~~
Enjoy! And maybe if you have time could you drop me a comment??? I’ll love you forever! <3<3<3<3<3
Thank you!!