Part 23

The Stranger

 

Daehyun woke up to sunlight streaming through the window of his hospital room, and looked to see Kekemato still in his embrace. He smiled at the bunny and kissed his cheek.
 
A nurse came in and checked Daehyun's vitals and asked him if he was alright. She left the room saying that his breakfast is on its way.
 
Daehyun closed his eyes again and thought back to when he woke up the day before, or more specifically, to Youngjae. For the first time since Jongup was born, he had grown interested in someone else and found himself actually smiling at the thought of the boy. Daehyun didn't know what to call it. Was it just friendly interest, or something more?
 
Just then the nurse entered again, a tray in her hands. She helped Daehyun sit up, putting pillows behind him, and then gave him the food, Kekemato being put into the crook of his arm.
 
"Daehyun-ssi, you have a visitor, do you want me to show him in?"
 
"Erm... yes please," Daehyun responded quietly, hoping the visitor was Jongup.
 
The nurse nodded and left, but soon came back with the strange man at her side. She closed the door behind him and went back to her rounds.
 
"Youngjae-ssi," Daehyun whispered.
 
"Hey, Daehyunnie. How are you feeling?" Youngjae replied. Daehyun only nodded.
 
Youngjae saw Kekemato in Daehyun's arms and smiled, knowing that Daehyun loved Keke again, but wondered how he couldn't remember.
 
"Youngjae-ssi, what are you doing here?"
 
"I came to see you. And please, call me as you used to."
 
"What did I used to call you?"
 
"Jae."
 
"Jae!"
 
"Jae?"
 
"Jaejae!"
 
"I ____ you so much, Jae."
 
"-ae? Dae! Dae are you OK? Daehyunnie!" Youngjae's voice and the fact that the younger was shaking him, pulled Daehyun out of his trance.
 
"Huh? I'm fine. I just... just... know that name..." Daehyun trailed off, confused. Something like that had never happened before. It felt like something was trying to make itself known, something important that he had forgotten.
 
"Well of course you do!" Youngjae was happy. "It's mine!"
 
"J-Jae?" Daehyun asked. He saw Youngjae smile at his name. "Don't get me wrong, but... who..."
 
"Am I?" Youngjae finished. "We were best friends, and then we were more," Youngjae said smiling, but choosing his words carefully, having a feeling that something had happened to Daehyun after he had left that made him forget him, and didn't want to shock him.
 
"More?"
 
Youngjae wanted to laugh at Daehyun's cuteness, one of the many things he had missed the most over the years. 
 
"Yeah. We were inseparable. We went everywhere together and did everything together," Youngjae said, red coming to his cheeks. He paused, and wondered if he should ask. "You, why- Why did you leave? One day you were there, and the next you weren't. I was scared, Dae. All I could think of is that something horrible happened." The younger stopped and Daehyun watched silently as a tear ran down Youngjae's lowered face.
 
"I don't know," Daehyun started. He actually didn't. He couldn't remember, but he often asked Himchan why when Jongup was younger, only to get the same answer from him: it was better for Jongup. "But," Youngjae looked up at Daehyun, waiting. "Himchan hyung  said I left because it was better for Jonguppie, and that it would be easier to bring him up here rather than in the city." Youngjae nodded, thinking that it had to do with something about their mother, but didn't want to ask in risk of hurting Daehyun.
 
Youngjae had never met Daehyun's parents, even though they knew that the two boys were dating. They were going to go, but then Daehyun left, so he never had a chance to meet them.
 
"Himchan hyung doesn't like me," Youngjae said sadly, knowing that the older would do anything to keep him away from Daehyun. "He seems to think that I did something to hurt you."
 
"No you didn't," Daehyun said, smiling, and took hold of Youngjae's hand and held it to his chest, his breakfast long forgotten.
 
"And how do you know?"
 
"I can feel it, Jae. You would never do anything to hurt me."
 
Youngjae stood up from the chair he had been sitting on and put the tray of food on it and then climbed on the bed and sat down next to Daehyun and wrapped his arms round him, trying not to hurt him. Daehyun pressed his face into Youngjae's neck as if it was second nature and wrapped his legs round Youngjae's, making it hard for anyone to pull them apart or to see where one boy started and the next began. Daehyun felt safe. And Youngjae felt as if he had finally come home.
 
---
 
Wow! Long update!
But this is because I don't know when I can update next... Hopefully tomorrow around the same time!
You see, I'm going to Paris, but I don't know if the apartment we're staying in has WiFi... I hope so!
But if not, please wait for me! And I hope this DaeJae makes up for it! <3