Chapter 2

A Cracked Reflection

Youngjae drug his feet along as he left Jieun’s office, clutched in his hands was a single folder file that only contained a few pages of what Jieun had told him was highly classified information. He walked down the hallway to the main squad room, flopping down into his office chair and spinning it slightly to look at his coworker and best friend who sat in the cubical next to him.

“Jihoon…” Youngjae watched as he friend pointedly stared off at nothing in particular, the fact that he was ignoring Youngjae blatantly obvious. “Jihoon! ... Jihoooooonnnn~” Youngjae crumpled up a piece of scrap paper and tossed it at the others head, watching it bounce off and land on the ground. With a sigh, he shook his head and tried again, “Yo! P.O!”

“Oh, didn’t even notice you there, Jae… What’s up?” P.O grinned at Youngjae as the older rolled his eyes.

“Can we hang out tonight…? I… really need your advice.”

P.O smirked, “Is it about you besting out B-Bomb for some top undercover mission?”

Youngjae blanched, “W…what… Did Minhyuk tell……? H...how… I mean-“

P.O let out a laugh, “C’mon! U-kwon spent the past half hour trying to calm him down… It’s not hard to guess what’s going on when he kept going on about how green you where and that you were going to get yourself killed…” He looked a bit nervous as he noticed how pale Youngjae had become, “Oh, not like that Youngjae… You’ll be fine, I promise.” He clasped Youngjae on the shoulder, “C’mon, I finished all of our paperwork already so we could leave early… So since you owe me dinner now, we can talk over that…”

Youngjae immediately rolled his eyes once more, “How is it no matter what, I always end up paying for dinner?” He grabbed his jacket and cell phone, standing up and following P.O out of the office building, the folder still clutched within his hands.

 

 

Dinner in the end consisted of cheap take-out at Youngjae’s apartment, as with such sensitive information, Youngjae didn’t feel comfortable talking at a restaurant. He had managed to keep P.O stalled from the subject for as long as possible as the joked about work and played around with their food. It all went by much too quick for Youngjae as soon the take out containers were removed from the coffee table and the single, plain folder sat in the center of the glass table.

Youngjae sighed as he watched P.O fidget around on the other side of the coffee table, trying his hardest not to grab the file and tear through the information. Knowing the wait was driving his friend nuts, he offered a small smile as he slid the file to P.O, “Go ahead…”

With a wide grin, P.O greedily snatched up the file, speed reading through the information he was given. His smile slowly faltered before he looked up at Youngjae, “They can’t be serious, Jae… They really want you to-“

“Infiltrate B.A.P… yup.”

“That’s insane! You’re not ready for that big of an undercover mission!”

“Gee, thanks, P.O…” Youngjae mumbled, flopping backwards with the sense of defeat already growing in his chest. P.O was right, it was insane. How could they ever expect someone as inexperienced as him to be able to do something on this big of a scale?

“Oh, C’mon Jae, I didn’t mean it like that… You’re a great guy!” P.O moved to Youngjae’s side of the table, sitting next to his friend as he set the file carefully back onto the glass table top. “It’s just… we have records of at least eight of our men dying trying to get into the gang…”

“Way to make me feel safe.”

“And, none of them even made it into the inner circle; they only got to see the lackeys! Nobody even knows what the ring leaders look like!” P.O continued, ignoring Youngjae’s deadpan.

“Yup, totally makes me feel super confident.”

P.O sighed, looking at Youngjae, “But… at the same time… Jieun is right… You don’t look like a cop. Maybe with a new hair cut… you could pass as a gang member and they’ll never think twice.”

Youngjae looked at P.O, “Seriously?”

P.O nodded, “Yeah, seriously… It makes sense. If she sent B-bomb in… he’d want to play the hero like always, and we’d have to deal with U-Kwon wanting to run in after him.” He smiled, nudging Youngjae, “Just think of it this way, you’ll get bragging rights over B-bomb… hell, the whole squad room…”

“And if I die?”

“… You’ll be dead, why does it matter?”

 

 

P.O’s words stuck with him even after the younger had left for the night. He stared down at the folder, not having moved it in the slightest since P.O had set it down. There was no read need for him to do anyways. Every bit of information in the folder was ingrained into his head, permanently there for him to constantly turn over and over again in his thoughts.

In the end, P.O was right. Even if he did die on this mission, why would it matter? He didn’t have much anymore, he rarely kept contact with his family anymore, a simple birthday card in the mail with no return address (usually a few months late, anyways) was all he ever received from them. And friends? Well, that was a laughing matter all together, the only person he really had was P.O. Maybe this was his big break, to either make something of himself or die trying.

Decision made. Youngjae grabbed the cell phone off the coffee table; dialing the number he had been given despite the late hour of 3am, he listened to the soft ringing as he pressed the receiver against his ear.

Right before the third ring, when Youngjae was seriously about to flake out and hang up, the line picked up with a ‘click’. “So, you decided, Youngjae?”

“Yes, Jieun… I’ll do it.”


Here is chapter 2. I hope you guys are liking it so far and arn't bored that I am not just jumping right into the guns-a-blazing scenes. This fic has given me the reason to write the DaeJae I've always wanted to write... so, expect quite alot of it before we get knee deep into the MV plot line. I might post up chapter 3 also today. Let's see how life treats me! Please comment~!

Cuddles,

Lynn