Chapter 38

A Cracked Reflection

“But what about JB? We can’t let them get to him… He helped us save Himchan hyung; we can’t let anything happen to him—Ow! You just bit me!” Daehyun looked down at Youngjae as he sat back and removed his hand from Youngjae’s mouth, looking down at the crescent indention in the side of his hand where Youngjae had in fact, sank his teeth into the skin.

Youngjae shoved at Daehyun, trying to get the elder off of his waist where he was straddling him, still keeping him pinned to the floor with his weight. “Get’off me, Dae…” he growled, trying to roll out from under him to no avail. Daehyun caught his wrist easily as Youngjae tried to push him off again.

“I’m not sure what we are going to do, Daehyun… We can’t let them get to JB, you’re right. He’s done too much to help us.” Yongguk said as he stared up at the ceiling.

“Daehyun! Get off of me!”

“He has a job, we can’t just ask him to leave it…” Daehyun said, catching Youngjae’s other wrist in his hand as the younger let out a pathetic whine of frustration beneath him, trying to pull out of Daehyun’s grip as the elder completely ignored him.

“What are we going to do?”

“Damnit, get off of me Daehyun so I can ing call JB!” Youngjae shouted, trying to pull his wrists out from Daehyun’s hands.

“What?” Daehyun blinked down at Youngjae.

“Get. Off. Me.”

Daehyun nodded, rolling to the side off of Youngjae as the younger instantly got up and reached for Himchan’s cell phone. Yongguk handed it over, watching as Youngjae typed in the number and pressed the device to his ear.

Youngjae drummed his fingers against the surface of the floor, listening to the timed ringing in his ear as he waited for the line to connect. Yongguk and Daehyun had gone back to debating how they would keep JB under protection without risking anyone else to the hands of Exo.

The second the line clicked, Youngjae let out a heavy sigh of relief, “Oh thank god you picked up, JB. Where are you right now? Nothing’s happened right, you’re still okay?” The silence on the other end worried Youngjae, “JB? Answer me… This isn’t funny… JB?”

“Youngjae?”

Youngjae froze, his eyes widen in shock as his mouth hung open. Everything felt heavier as panic began to settle into his chest. He’d ed up, big time, that he knew for sure. “Y…Yeah. It’s… uhm… me.” He felt numb, ignoring the stares from Yongguk and the light touch of Daehyun’s hand on his arm as he asked if everything was okay. The only thing Youngjae could focus on was the voice on the other end.

The sigh was heavy in his ear, “… Youngjae. This isn’t good… why are you… is everything okay?”

“Mhmm… it’s… good. Good. Everything is fine.” He whispered, “U...uhm, why do you have… JB’s phone? Is he… okay? Is JB okay?”

“JB is fine…He’s at my place in the kitchen right now, so I just answered the phone… … Youngjae… What’s going on right now…? This isn’t… Youngjae, this could blow everything.”

“No… No it’s okay.” Youngjae pressed the phone harder to his ear, trying to hear every little sound on the other line. He’d almost forgotten what it was like to hear his best friend’s voice, to talk with him on the phone, to actually have a conversation with him. Youngjae didn’t want to admit it, but, in the past month, he’d almost forgotten his best friend completely. In an instance, the thought of the mission, of his job, of what was at risk and how much it would just hurt in the end, hit him full force and Youngjae found himself trying to wipe away the tears as they built up. “Can you keep JB at your place? You know I wouldn’t even be talking to you right now if it wasn’t important…”

“Youngjae, what’s going on—“

“No. Listen to me. Something… Just something happened, I put JB in danger, and he shouldn’t have to go through that. Can you just promise me that you’ll keep him safe?” A bitter sort of unwanted laugh bubbled up as Youngjae added, “I can’t let him die… I owe him.”

“Okay. Youngjae, I promise.”

 “I have to go now…”

“Jae… can you… I mean… are you able to call back later?”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea…” Youngjae sighed, feeling the clench in his heart tighten. “Bye, P.O.” He hung up the phone quickly not even wanting to hear P.O’s goodbye as he knew he’d just want to stay on the phone with his friend longer. He half turned, setting the phone on the couch next to Yongguk.

“Youngjae… what was that about?”

Youngjae shook his head, “Nothing…” he said, wiping away the last of the tears quickly, “JB has someone looking out for him. He’ll be safe.”

Yongguk sensed that there was something that Youngjae wasn’t saying, and with a heavy sigh, he stood up from the couch, “I’m going to go check on Himchan and the kids…” he gave Daehyun a pointed look before leaving the room.

The second the two were alone, Daehyun pulled Youngjae close, wrapping his arms around him, “Jae, baby… what’s wrong…”

“Nothing, Dae…” Youngjae mumbled, leaning into Daehyun’s hug as he began to pick at the hem of his shirt.

“So was that… uhm… P.O on the phone…?”

“Yeah…”

“JB mentioned that you two grew up together… Jae… why aren’t you happy to talk to your friend?”

“It’s… really really complicated, Daehyun, and… I can’t talk about it. I’m not supposed to contact him, like… ever. I made a mistake already by getting back in touch with JB… they aren’t a part of all of this, and I’m putting them all at risk…” Youngjae’s voice grew quieter as he trailed off, wrapping his arms around back around Daehyun.

“Youngjae… I know what it’s like, being in this kind of… business. But just because you are with us doesn’t mean you have to drop everything from your past… When it comes down to it, your friends are important, and we will help you protect them.” Daehyun instantly felt terrible for his words as he could hear the small sniffle as Youngjae tried to hold back more tears. “Youngjae… what’s going on…? Did something happen? Did someone… I don’t know… were you threatened not to talk to them anymore?” He asked, his mind a whirl of thoughts as what JB had told him about Youngjae’s request to know personal information, to Youngjae’s lack of sharing with his own past, and then the reminder that someone was targeting Youngjae through Taeil. He shook his head, “Youngjae, you can tell us anything… you know that right?”

“Not this, Daehyun… trust me.”

Daehyun sighed softly, “Okay, Youngjae. I trust you.” He said. “Just promise me… you’ll tell me when you can?”

Youngjae nodded his head, holding Daehyun closer as he tried to erase the thoughts of what the end of his mission could mean for not only him but for the family too. Nothing was as the files had said, and Youngjae felt sick with the idea that he’d be the sole reason these boys would be arrested… that Daehyun would be arrested.  His heart gave a hard thump in his chest, the single beat painful as a sort of realization washed over Youngjae.

He’d known it, really, all along. The way they would share innocent kisses when nobody was looking, hold each other at night as they slept peacefully in each other’s arms, the mornings of lazy making out and the evenings of cuddling. He’d known it from the first time they kissed after he had woken up in Daehyun’s arms, and had known it since, he’d just been too afraid to speak it out loud.

Because what Youngjae also knew was how much it was going to hurt after it was all said and done. There wouldn’t be a ‘them’ when Jieun stepped back into the picture. Still, Youngjae found himself taking a small breath, “I love you, Daehyun.” He whispered, trying not to react as Daehyun stiffened. The silence was heavy, and for a brief second, Youngjae expected Daehyun to shove him away.

“I love you too, Youngjae.”

Youngjae couldn’t help but smile as the three words rolled off Daehyun’s tongue easily. He hugged Daehyun tighter as he rested his cheek against his chest, the steady heartbeat strong enough for Youngjae to feel.

They stayed there for a while, cuddled close in each other’s arms as Daehyun waited for Youngjae to calm down enough before pulling away. “C’mon Youngjae… let’s go check on the others…” He said, getting up to his feet and helping Youngjae up next. He took the younger’s, heading back in the direction of Himchan’s room.

As the approached the open door, Daehyun let go of Youngjae’s hand, opting to knock lightly on the wood, “Everything okay?” he asked, peaking in.

Yongguk sighed, looking up from where he was sitting on the edge of Himchan’s bed. “Yeah… Jongup got Himchan to calm down, well… kind of…”

“That’s goo…d…” Daehyun trailed off, turning his head slowly to the side as he watched Himchan push himself from one side of the room to the other on his desk chair, spinning it around in circles as he continued to roll about the room. “Jongup! Did you drug Himchan hyung?”

“Well, I mean… it’s just that…”

“Hyung was panicking, we did what we could!” Zelo said, standing beside Jongup as they watched Himchan roll past them with a small giggle, holding onto the seat of the chair so he didn’t topple off of it.

Daehyun pinched the bridge of his nose with a small sigh.

Himchan pushed both of his feet to the floor, skidding the chair to a halt as he looked to the doorway at Daehyun and Youngjae, he turned quickly, looking at Jongup, “Marshmallows are too close to my bunny.” He said, his face absolutely serious as he waited for Jongup to do something about the situation. “Gets it sticky…” he added in a bit of a whisper, hoping that it’d make Jongup move into action.

Instead, Jongup merely shrugged, “And what should we do about it…?” He asked, raising an eyebrow as Himchan flung himself from his chair, nearly stumbling to the floor as he went to the doorway. He grabbed Daehyun’s wrist, dragging him into the room and pushing him to sit next to Yongguk. He looked around before patting Daehyun’s head and going back to drag Youngjae into the room. This time though, he pulled Youngjae to the completely other side of the room, sitting down on the floor and dragging Youngjae down with him.

In a fit of extreme maturity… Himchan stuck his tongue out at Daehyun.

Youngjae looked up at Jongup, “How much did you give him?” He asked, trying to ignore Himchan as the elder played with his hand.

Jongup shrugged, “The last full dose… I figured it would keep him… occupied while we figured what was going on… and hopefully he’ll fall asleep soon…”

Himchan shook his head, holding onto Youngjae’s hand tightly all of a sudden. “Nah-uh… I’mma stay up.” He said.

Youngjae smiled at Himchan, “Of course you can stay up, Channie hyung…” he said, patting Himchan’s hand as the elder continued to hold onto his own.

Yongguk sighed, “Okay… well, we have a lot of work to do, so I want everyone else to go to bed… Uhm… Jongup, do you want to stay in here with Himchan tonight?”

Jongup nodded his head, “Yeah, I can-“

“I want my bunny to stay tonight. No puppy.”

Daehyun looked as though he were about to argue, but was cut off by Yongguk, “Okay, whichever way you want, Channie…” Yongguk stood up from Himchan’s bed, shooing the others out of the room, not even noticing the look Daehyun was sending to Youngjae as Himchan kept him sitting next to him.

Yongguk went into his room, which was next door to Himchan’s, and Zelo bid them goodnight before going down the hall to his own room. Jongup, however, lingered back. “Daehyun hyung… it’s just one night… Hyung seems to need Jae hyung right now…”

Daehyun sighed, “I know, Uppie…”

Jongup smiled, “It’s okay to be jealous.”

“What! I’m not jealous! I just—“

“Don’t want to share Jae hyung. I get it…” Jongup’s smile never faltered as he patted Daehyun’s arm, “Goodnight, hyung~” he said, leaving Daehyun standing in the hallway alone as he made his way to his room.

 

Youngjae leaned back against the wall, watching as Himchan idly played with his hand, matching up their fingertips and comparing the difference in sizing.

“I didn’t want any more peanut butter…” Himchan mumbled softly, a soft pout pulling at his lips. “Puppy wouldn’t listen.”

“I know you don’t like being medicated, hyung. But… you were freaking out, we had to do something.”

Himchan looked up at Youngjae, “I don’t want… any more… uhm…” Himchan closed his eyes for a minute, trying his hardest to find the words. He let go of Youngjae’s hand, resting his forearms on his knees as he put his head in his hands, rubbing at his temples as he tried to string together a sentence, “I just want… rainbows and glitter…? Like that… I want that again… like it’s supposed to be… no more clowns before scarecrows…?” He looked over at Youngjae, desperation in his eyes as he tried to make his thoughts as clear as he could for the younger.

“You want… uhm… well, rainbows and glitter are… happy things, right hyung? You want to be happy?”

Himchan nodded quickly, waving his hand for Youngjae to continue.

“Uhm, well, and… scarecrows and clowns are… scary and a bit creepy…” Youngjae chewed on his bottom lip, trying to make the connection. “You want to be… or well, You want us all to be happy again… You don’t want us to be afraid…”

Himchan nodded slowly, “Before the scarecrows.” He repeated slowly, staring at Youngjae with wide eyes as he waited for him to finish it.

Youngjae shook his head, “No more scarecrows…” The thought clicked in his brain and Youngjae turned fully to Himchan, “You don’t want anybody else to die.”

Himchan nodded quickly, a half of a smile coming across his face in pure relief as Youngjae understood what thoughts he was trying to get across.

The younger smiled softly in return, “Don’t worry about that right now, hyung. Everyone is safe…”

With a nod of his head, Himchan pushed himself up to his feet before dragging Youngjae up to his. He rubbed at his eyes as he pulled Youngjae across the room to the dresser that was pushed up against the wall. He dug through the drawers before holding out an over sized t-shirt and a pair of lounge pants for Youngjae to change into. Before Youngjae could protest or claim that he could get his own nightclothes from his room (which was honestly just on the next hallway), Himchan was already shooing him into the bathroom to change.

Youngjae decided that it was best not to argue with Himchan and instead changed as quick as he could, sighing as he folded up his own clothes before immerging from the bathroom. Himchan was at the edge of the bed, making up the sheets carefully.

Seeing as Himchan was already climbing into the bed, Youngjae moved to turn off the small lamp that the elder had left on. Instantly, Himchan was sitting up straight.

“No…nononono. Sun comes back up. Make the sun come back up.” He said, only calming down once Youngjae had flipped back on the light. He sighed a little, falling back into the bed. “Bad things in the dark…” he mumbled, staring up at the ceiling.

Youngjae watched as Himchan continued to follow random patterns on his ceiling as he climbed in bed next to him. “Hyung… are you afraid of the dark?”

Himchan nodded a little.

“Well… It’ll be okay, alright? I… I’ll fight off the bad things in the dark for tonight, okay?”

Himchan looked over at Youngjae, “The sun will stay up though?”

Youngjae nodded, “yeah, I’ll leave the light on, hyung… Get some rest now, okay?” Youngjae smiled, watching as Himchan’s blinks became slower and breathing began to even out. He sighed lightly once Himchan seemed to have fallen completely into the realms of sleeping. After spending so long sleeping in the same bed as Daehyun, it felt weird for Youngjae to be sharing a bed with Himchan instead for the night. But his hyung had chosen him to help get him through whatever he was dealing with while under the heavy influence of the pain medication. For whatever reason, Himchan had decided Youngjae would be the best suited help, and Youngjae was determined not to let the elder down.

He shifted around in the bed, trying to get a bit more comfortable as he pulled the soft blankets tighter around himself. He could smell Himchan’s shampoo on the pillows, and the light and warm scent of his favorite cologne on the bed sheets. It gave off a completely different feeling inside of Youngjae then when he was surrounded by Daehyun’s scent, but it was strangely just as soothing.

His family trusted him… needed him. Youngjae smiled as he felt Himchan’s fingertips on his back as the elder reached out for him in his sleep, and carefully, Youngjae rolled over and took the hand in his own. “Goodnight, hyung…” he whispered, letting his eyes drift shut as he finally fell asleep.

 


 

“Do you think it was a good idea calling them, Suho hyung? I mean… now they are kinda gonna want revenge.”

“Not if we dangle a few things above them… Patients, Chen. We will figure this out. It is good for B.A.P to be emotionally unstable.” Suho said as he spun the cell phone around idly on the table. “What do you say, Luhan?”

“By invoking the thirst for revenge, the members of B.A.P. become more open to manipulation. Let them believe that they are hunting us down to seek their pety revenge, and prepare for them to make the first move.” Luhan leaned back in his chair, a light smile upon his face, “Then you strike when they least expect it.”

“How will we know that they will make the first move?” Chen asked, a bit skeptical to the whole plan and just how well it would work.

Suho smiled, looking down at the surveillance photos that were laid out across the table that they all sat at. “He assumes we don’t know…” he said, grinning. “But, I’m sure the death of two friends instead of one would be more than enough to blow his cover… We wouldn’t even have to get our hands dirty.”

 


 

. It came out a lot more fluffy than it should have. Sorry about that. I swear, I'm trying to stay out of the fluff and get this thing really going. i am so sleepy right now. I have to be up early tomorrow and it's already 3am. What am I doing with my life?

HEY~ here's a poll!

 

 

Cuddles,
Lynn