Chapter 5

A Cracked Reflection

The room was cast into a semi state of darkness; the walls were pale beige, the color looking almost grimy in the soft lighting. Two figures sat reclined back on one of the many couches and that were pressed against various walls around a small square coffee table.

“I’m still not sure, hyung…” One of them mumbled, letting his head fall back onto the cushion behind him as he stared up at the blank ceiling, “I like it being just the five of us…”

“Zelo…” The other male looked over to the almost blue haired boy sitting next to him, “We need someone to replace Yoseob, and it's not safe for us to be an uneven number.” He said with a sigh, “In this line of business, you always need someone to watch your back. You know this.”

“I know… it’s just… what if it happens again?”

“Well… It would be safer if we were in an even number again, so we can make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

“Himchan is right, Zelo.”

Zelo looked up at the deep voiced man as he stood in the doorway to the small room that he and Himchan were in. “But… YongGuk hyung… Why can’t it be just be us…?” He said with a light pout, his thoughts drifting off to the somewhat recent events that had caused this whole inner turmoil for him. It was supposed to have been a simple deal down by the river, but somehow, the police had been tipped off an in a matter of seconds, they had lost one of their oldest members in the small gang. It had been tough on everyone, especially YongGuk, who had known Yoseob the longest. It was the sort of hurt that Zelo never wanted to experience again as long as he could help it, and that was why he didn’t want to run the risk of letting someone knew into their family, it was just a recipe for a better chance of being hurt.

His thoughts were interrupted as a hand clasped his shoulder lightly, the couch cushion next to him dipping down as YongGuk sat next to him. “I know how you feel, Zelo.” He said, giving the youngest member of their group as small squeeze of reassurance on his shoulder. “How about this… You can help me and the General here screen out all of the rejects… We won’t accept any of them unless they have your stamp of approval.” He suggested as he let the stack of folders he had brought in hit the table in front of the couch that they sat upon.

“What about Dae hyung and Jongup hyung?” Zelo asked.

YongGuk looked up at Himchan, giving him a nod toward the door to signal the second in command to go get the other two. “Okay, Zelo, we’ll decide together.” He couldn’t deny the fact that a sort of happiness took over at Zelo grinned and nodded.

 

“Ulgh, why can’t you guys just agree on one!” Himchan gripped, flopping back into the back cushion of the couch and tugging at his black hair, “Seriously!”

“Well, I’m sorry if YongGuk hyung’s choice looks like he doesn’t even know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of!” Daehyun said back, giving the file in front of YongGuk a shove toward the ‘reject’ pile.

“But the profile says-“

“YongGuk… he really does look stupid.”

YongGuk glared at Himchan before tossing the file aside.  “Fine. But Jongup’s choice isn’t much better?”

Jongup looked up from the file he had been reading, “Wait… no, this isn’t my choice!” he said, “I was contemplating what this guy was one to have actually been caught by the police this many times.” He said, tossing the file into the reject pile where it slid off and hit the floor.”

“Maybe we should just leave it alone… this is a sign that it should just be us five-“

“No, Zelo.” Both Himchan and YongGuk said at the same time, giving Zelo mirrored ‘we’ve already gone over this’ looks, causing the maknae to flop back into the couch with a huff.

“We just need to do better research is all,” Daehyun said, leaning down from his seat to pick up the fallen file. His raised an eyebrow in confusion, grabbing instead the unopened file that must have slid to the ground when YongGuk first brought them in. He opened it up, reading over the presented information.

“Dae hyung… I thought we already got rid of that guy…”

“Shh…” Daehyun waved his hand at Jongup, shushing the other as he flipped through the profile before sweeping his hand across the table, clearing all of the other ones to the floor and slamming down the folder, “This is the one.”

“Way to be dramatic.” Himchan rolled his eyes, leaning forward to look down at what had Daehyun so intrigued.

There wasn’t a mug shot like all of the other files at provided, instead, they only got a grainy, obviously from a security feed, of a dirty blonde male holding a shining object that they all could guess was a knife, the blurred outline in front of him gave them the hint that it probably hadn’t ended well for male that had his back to the camera and faced their prospective member.

“Hmm, the police have yet to locate him…”

“Look at all the stuff they have against him…”

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt to… talk to him.”

“How would we find him though… there’s no record of address…?”

Daehyun grinned, “I know somebody.” He said, jumping up and grabbing his cell phone, “it’s a yes, right?”

YongGuk nodded, sliding the folder a little closer as he read over the details, his eyes trailing back to the supplied picture. “Yeah… let’s bring him in for a little… questioning.” He said, smirking just a little.


Maybe taking this mission wasn’t the best of ideas, Youngjae told himself once more as he paced up and down the hallway of his rundown apartment. Jieun had given him the address, assuring him that he’d be safe there for as long as he needed to stay there. After a week of getting used to it, Youngjae had to agree, even if most of them were drug dealers, his neighbors were pretty pleasant.

Well, most of them, anyways.

There were several loud bangs beneath his feet, a sound he had come to learn as the neighbors beneath him hitting the end of a broom stick against their ceiling. “I WILL PACE AT WHAT EVER TIME I DAMN WELL PLEASE!!” He yelled at the floor, giving it a good stop for measure.

Walking over to the couch, he flopped down into the cream colored cushions, a heavy sigh escaping his lips. He’d always prided himself in being ‘Mr. Nice Guy’, but, with the stress of constant mental reminders of all of the different ways he could completely blow his cover and screw up, Youngjae learned his temper was quite shorter than he expected.

It was depressing, really, how much he close he had come to psyching himself out of the whole thing. He’d come so close to just packing up and going back to Jieun and telling her that Minhyuk was right, he wasn’t cut out of this kind of stuff.

Each time though, he found himself pulling out the knife that Minhyuk had given him. The light from the lamp would always catch on that single knick and the curiosity of what exactly had happened on Minhyuk’s first undercover operation would take over and Youngjae would find himself once more, pacing the hallways to try to clear his mind of the conflicting thoughts.

Youngjae glanced over at the clock, sighing as he noticed it was growing well past midnight. Flipping off the lamp in the living room, he made his way back to his bedroom, flopping down on the thin mattress with a loud sigh, not even bothering to take off the clothes he had worn that day as he let his mind drift off as soon as his head hit the pillow.

Maybe tomorrow some sort of update would come from Jieun or one of the others. He honestly didn’t know how much longer he could remain sane with the constant waiting for something to happen, whether it is good or bad.

 

The sound was soft and Youngjae was almost positive that he would have never heard it had he not been in a semi sort of awareness as he had begun to try to find a more comfortable spot on the worn mattress he called a bed. He listened carefully, scolding himself for being so paranoid when obviously it was just the foundation settling. Youngjae had just been ready to drift off as a blatant creak of floorboards jolted him into full awareness.

It didn’t take any sort of training from any police academy to know that someone had broken into his house. Youngjae grabbed the knife off his end table, carefully getting out of bed and going to the door. He leaned against the wall next to it, silently easing it open and staring through the small crack that had been made as he tried to get a view of who had snuck into his apartment.

“Shh… You’re being loud.”

“Shut up… You don’t want to wake him.”

The whispered voices flouted into Youngjae’s room and he swallowed hard. He didn’t recognize either of the two voices, which only meant that Jieun hadn’t decided to contact him.

Taking a chance, Youngjae threw open the door, “Who the hell are you and why the hell are you in my place?” He said, trying to keep his voice even and his expression fierce like Kwanghee had taught him. He was greeted by the sight of two men, black and white masks covered the lower half of their faces, but their eyes were wide with shock at the knife that Youngjae held in their direction. The two simply looked at each other before the dark brown haired one nodded.

Youngjae had no time to react as they both sprang forward, one grabbing his wrist and twisting it until the knife fell to the floor with a clatter, the other grinned, “Sorry, Yoo Youngjae. You’ll be coming with us tonight.”

Youngjae looked up into the dark brown eyes just visible over the top of the face mask before his world began to fade. He was vaguely away of a pair of strong arms keeping him upright before his slipped into unconsciousness, the last thing his mind allowing him to dwell on was the thought of what the rest of the man with the mysterious brown eyes looked like.


Work was killer today, but... i was in the mood to write when i got home (which was three hours ago from the time this is uploaded, it's 2am right now, XP what is sleep?). Now I'm almost dead and ready to sleep, and a storm system decided to roll in... this will either be good or bad, not sure yet.

As promised, B.A.P has made an apperance! Dundundun~ Hopefully i'll have another update tomorrow, we'll see though.

I hope you guys are enjoying it! I'd love to hear your feedback and thoughts on it... and... In my past stories, i was really strongly against it, but... If you guys you know, like it... do you think you could vote me up? :3

Cuddles,

Lynn