Chapter 49

A Cracked Reflection

U-kwon sat reclined back on the couch, watching with interest as Youngjae worked nearly silent across from him. The laptop had been set up on the coffee table, and every few minutes Youngjae would pull himself up from the floor and cross the room to the printer, grabbing whatever he had printed out before going back to his seat.

He’d declined several times any pain medication that U-kwon offered him, and the elder couldn’t help but wince with sympathy pain any time Youngjae would over extend himself and the obvious pain from his broken ribs would cross his features. He was worried for Youngjae, the dirty blonde refused to take a break or even rest when his pain became too much. Several times U-kwon contemplated going through JB’s medical supplies that he had left behind to see if there was something he could use to sedate Youngjae just so the younger would sleep.

Before he could go through with the actions, Youngjae looked up, “Hyung… Can you take me down to the task force now? I’ve gotten everything I need…”

U-kwon sat up, “It’s only been…” He looked down at his clock, “Three hours, Youngjae… it took me, Minhyuk and P.O nearly a whole month to get what we needed for buildable cases. How did you work so quickly?”

Youngjae shrugged softly, “I owe this to Himchan hyung.”

“That’s one strong motivation.” U-kwon grumbled, standing up and holding out his hand, “Give me the paperwork and I’ll take care of it—“

Youngjae suddenly clutched everything to his chest, “No! I can’t, okay? This is not… look, you just can’t, okay?”

U-kwon sighed, “Youngjae, do you expect me to actually let you sit alone in interrogation with one of them? Not only that, Hyunseung would never let you… You are too involved with all of this!”

Youngjae opened his mouth to protest more, but the soft ringing cut him off, and he reached for the cell phone sitting in the middle of the coffee table.

“Yah! Jae, that’s mine!”

“Hyung… we need to go now…” Youngjae said, his eyes wide as he read over the message from Minhyuk. “Hyunseung is taking Yongguk hyung into interrogation in the next few minutes… now is the only time I’ll be able to talk to Himchan hyung.”

U-kwon ran his hands through his hair, snatching his phone from Youngjae’s fingertips, “Alright, c’mon, but if you get in trouble, I am letting it all fall on you.”

Youngjae attempted a tiny smile, the corners of his lips barely turning up as he nodded his head and got up from the floor, following U-kwon out the door as he kept a tight hold on the files.

 

Minhyuk sighed as he paced up and down the hallway in front of the block of occupied cells. Daehyun had long since gone to sleep, utterly exhausted from the stress and crying in the past few hours after the ‘interrogation’.  Minhyuk felt strangely bad about putting the younger boy through reliving those obviously traumatic memories, but he pushed aside the guilt and reminded himself that he was doing something good by helping to bring Daehyun’s case to light and hopefully keep his little sister from experiencing the same sort of childhood the brunette had.

He rubbed hard at his tired eyes, letting out another heavy sigh as he paced a bit faster. It’d been over 48 hours now since B.A.P had been brought into custody, and although Minhyuk was used to working long cases without much sleep… he was beyond tired.

The only thing keeping him from going to his desk to catch a few minutes sleep was the text that Hyunseung had sent him not but five minutes ago. Minhyuk should have known better, he should have known that the other wouldn’t just sit around and let him do all of the interrogations… of course he’d want to get his hands on one of the members of B.A.P.

Finally, Minhyuk stopped in front of the door that he had been trying to ignore, “Look, okay, this is important… will you trust me… just for thirty minutes… maybe more… maybe less… but I need you to do exactly what I say.”

Yongguk looked up from where he had been reclined back in his bed, raising an eyebrow, “I really should say no… after all, it’s your entire fault that we are even here… but… You let me comfort Daehyun…” He shrugged softly, “If it benefits us, then yeah, I’ll listen, not trust… but I’ll listen.”

Minhyuk sighed, resting his forehead on the door in relief before looking back up, “Good enough. Okay, another guy is going to take you into interrogation… he is not on my side, okay? He wants all of you in jail, and he doesn’t care if you are innocent or not… I can’t promise he won’t be violent, but… no matter what he does, do not say anything. Don’t give anything away… please, just… Don’t do anything stupid. This was not part of our plan…”

Yongguk sat up a little straighter, “Your plan? What plan is that?”

Minhyuk looked down at his watch, “Not enough time to explain that… I’m only trying to help. Don’t talk to him, okay?”

Yongguk flopped back, “Whatever.”

“Thank you.”

 

Himchan pressed himself to his door down the hall, listening carefully to the conversation going on between the police officer and Yongguk. He gnawed at his bottom lip at the sound of heavy foot falls not a few moments later before a figure strolled down the hallway.

“Minhyuk, why are you even down here? I told you I’d handle this one…”

Himchan shot up, his eyes wide as he watched the familiar figure, he guessed this was Hyunseung, walk over to Yongguk’s cell door.

“Yeah, but you saw what he did to Youngjae… figured it’d probably be best if I was here just in case he swung at you…”

Hyunseung seemed to laugh, “That little punk is nothing… Don’t base someone’s strength on being able to sock that kid a good one… Besides, I did worse to him. I think I can handle this one here.”

Himchan clenched his fist tight as there was a rattle of keys before the ominous creak of a door being opened. It was quite, nothing more than the sounds of feet shuffling on the floor as Yongguk was led out of his cell and down the hallway to where the interrogation rooms were at.

He sighed softly, leaning against the wall next to his door. Himchan nearly jumped out of his skin as the lock turned over with a loud click and his door was eased open.

“You can’t just go in there—“

“Shut up, U-kwon hyung! Now go away, come back only after I text you.”

“If you die, I am not helping you!”

Himchan’s eyes widened as someone slipped right into his cell, pushing the door shut behind him and letting the lock click back into place before dragging the still stunned male over to his bed, sitting at the edge of it and pulling the elder down gently to sit down too.

“W…Why the hell are you here?”

Youngjae kept his eyes down at the obvious anger in Himchan’s voice, “I just need to go over some things with you—“ Youngjae shut his mouth instantly as Himchan’s hand gripped his jaw roughly, forcing him to look up.

“He wasn’t kidding when he said he did worse.” Himchan noted, looking at the odd mix of purple and green bruises, some places fading into a yellow already, that adorned Youngjae’s face. His lip was still cracked with dried blood from where it had been split and there was definite swelling from where Yongguk had hit him.

Youngjae pushed Himchan’s hand away gently, “He was only doing his job.” He mumbled, ignoring the throb in his jaw from the pressure Himchan had put on the still sore spots. “Hyung, this is important okay…”

“Alright.”

Youngjae nodded at Himchan’s nonchalant answer, taking it as a sign to proceed. Spreading everything out across the bed, he pulled a pen from his pocket, “I need you to sign this…”

Himchan read over the document he had been presented with, confusion as he took in the transfer credits and test scores upon the page, “I never went to college in America—“

“I know, I made up the document. Just, sign it please.”

Himchan took the pen, signing his name where Youngjae instructed him too.

“And this…”

“A police incident report?”

“Hyung…”

“Okay…” Himchan shook his head as he signed once more, unable to read over the details as Youngjae took the paper from him before he got a good look.

“I’m sorry about this… but… this was the only part that I couldn’t do on my own based on what Yongguk hyung told me…” Youngjae mumbled as he pulled out the last few papers, “Circle the ones that did it, please.”

Himchan looked down at his lap at the papers, his eyes widening, “These are class photos…” He whispered.

“Yeah… of the last year that you were in collage before your assault. I have on file how you moved to America with a good friend of yours to try to get over everything before coming back and seeking justice. The only thing I need now are names… Himchan hyung… I know you remember.”

Himchan shook his head quickly, “I don’t… I…”

Youngjae reached out, carefully laying his hand on Himchan’s, “Hyung… please… let me do this, okay?”

Himchan shook his head, trying to shove the papers back at Youngjae. The younger merely kept them in Himchan’s lap. “I only have a few minutes left, Himchan hyung! Just circle them!”

The black haired male shook his head quickly, grabbing the pen in quick haste as he shut his eyes. His hands were shaking as he opened him and he barely spent more than a few seconds looking at the pictures as he quickly created jagged circles around five separate ones. He shoved the paper work back to Youngjae, “Now get out.”

Youngjae nodded quickly, stacking everything up as he grabbed his cell phone and sent a quick text to U-kwon so that the door could be unlocked.

“Wait… Youngjae…” Himchan waited until Youngjae turned his gaze up from his cell phone, and he carefully stood, “I…” He took a deep breath, walking over to Youngjae and enveloping him into hug as he ignored the way he went ridged, “I’m sorry…”

Youngjae let out a small, almost bitter chuckle as he tried to push Himchan away, “Why? I’m the one that lied…”

“Maybe… but you’re lying to an entirely new set of people now…”

Youngjae was quick to shake his head, “I am not.” He mumbled, keeping his gaze away from Himchan as the elder continued to all gaze at him with that intense stare.

“What ever you say, Jae… Just… promise me you’ll be careful…” The confusion in Youngjae’s expression was almost laughable, so Himchan pressed on, “That Hyunseung guy… he’s working with EXO… I overheard him talking to them about getting revenge on you— why are you smiling, Youngjae, this isn’t funny, I’m being serious.”

Youngjae looked up, “Hyung… I lied to you guys for months, and I’m the reason you are even here in the first place… why are you still trying to protect me?” Before Himchan could gather an answer, Youngjae was already continuing on, “Now I know why you yelled at me… but, don’t worry, hyung… I already know about Hyunseung…”

Himchan opened his mouth to say something more to Youngjae, but the door clicked and swung open. U-kwon looked between the two, his eyes quickly scanning over Youngjae just to be sure there were no more injuries before he ushered him out. “C’mon, Minhyuk sent me a text; Yongguk is pissing Hyunseung off…”

Youngjae sighed as the door was pulled shut and he was separated from Himchan once more and led down the hallway. The files were clutched tight in his hand and his eyes were trained on the floor, so it was no wonder he didn’t see the hand shoot out from between the bars of the window set into the thick door until the last second. Fingers were tightly gripping to his shirt, and Youngjae let out a pained yelp as he was yanked sideways, his chest slamming into the door as he was pulled by the collar of his shirt.

The papers hit the floor and Youngjae tried his best to stand on his toes to keep the back of his shirt from digging into his neck as he slowly blinked up to match Zelo’s gaze as the maknae stared at him through the bars that separated them.

“Stop lying and tell the truth already, Youngjae.” He said, his voice low as he kept Youngjae’s gaze. “They don’t know about Hyunseung, do they?”

Youngjae shook his head slowly.

“Why are you keeping quiet, if he’s dirty… Youngjae, what is going on?”

“Zelo… I’m sorry… God… I am sorry… If I didn’t….. they were going to kill you… this was the only way…” He whispered, his hands coming up to untangle Zelo’s fingers from his shirt, “I’m sorry.”

“, Youngjae!” U-kwon rushed over, pulling Youngjae away from the door as he looked back at Zelo with a bit of shock.

“Hyung, it’s okay… I’m fine… let’s just… let’s go…” Youngjae was quick to gather up the fallen papers, keeping his head low as he hurried out of the hallway, U-kwon on his heels.

“, Jae, are you sure you’re okay? I thought one of the others would be violent… but then again, did you hear? Apparently that kid bit one of the officers trying to get him into the van…”

“Uh-huh… can we go now?”

U-kwon nodded, walking with Youngjae as the younger made his way through the building making his way to the main office space so he could sit at his desk. U-kwon sighed as he watched Youngjae carefully lower himself into his seat before booting up his computer. “Look, as soon as I get you home, you are taking pain medication whether you like it or not, and you are going to get in bed and stay there or so help me, I’ll get some medical restraints from JB…”

Youngjae puffed out his cheeks with a heavy sigh, “Fine. Okay… just let me finish this.”

U-kwon nodded as he rolled a chair over and sat in front of Youngjae’s desk, watching as he worked on scanning in and sending off the documents for the local police to handle.

“Hey… U-kwon hyung?”

“Yeah?”

“Can I go to the break room and make some coffee?”

U-kwon sighed, getting up, “Nah, you stay here and do what you need to do; I’ll go get it for you…”

Youngjae nodded, “Alright… thanks hyung.”

“Yeah, no problem Jae, just don’t get used to it!”

 

U-kwon only left Youngjae alone for a mere five minutes, walking down the hall to the break room to make a cup of coffee and sweeten it just how the younger would want it before heading back to the desk. “God damnit…” he slammed the cup down, spilling some of the hot liquid onto his hand and cursing further as the chair sat empty and the papers Youngjae had been working with were gone.

He rounded quickly onto the guy that sat across from Youngjae’s desk, “Kikwang, did you see where he went?”

The male looked up, “Who, Yoo? Yeah, he got a phone call and left a bit after you did… why?”

“Which way did he go?”

“To the front…” Kikwang watched as U-kwon raced out of the squad room, sprinting for the front door in hopes of reaching Youngjae before he left the building.

U-kwon skidded to a halt once he reached the side walk, looking around and cursing as Youngjae was nowhere in sight. He pulled out his cell phone, dialing quickly and waiting for the ringing to click over.

“Hey, Kwonnie, what’s wrong? I’m kind of busy making sure Hyunseung doesn’t—“

“Youngjae ran away.”

“Well… …”

 


I hate this chapter, but, i can't do any more right now. I'm have a ton of anxiety attacks. My co workers have been little s lately. My dad had to have emergency surgery to remove staff (from a very unfortunant place) and I had to call in and ask for a shift cover ((mind you, I JUST covered a shift for another coworker who merely had an upset stomach and didn't want to come it)), and my boss kept yelling at me "What is it for, why does he need it done? Do you have to be there? What time is it at, can't you just come in late!" and other really personal questions and then this past week, she told me "You have to work Tuesday" (which is one of my days off) because her boyfriend was having a series of injections done and she wanted to be there for him. You see how fair this is??

Never mind that, but her neck has been hurting her, so when I came in on Tuesday, I came into a page long note about how I havn't been doing my job and how everything I do is and how I need to work harder and do more and this happens every single ing time one of them are stressed, it's instantly I can't do my job. And now it's to the point where they are even telling other customers they will be hiring soon!! Like, What the literal ?? And at the bottom, she informed me she'd be writing me up on thursday... like.. you don't write me a note saying "Hey, i'm going to write you up later" and leave it in plain veiw for your other coworker to read becasue then she started bugging me about it like "aww, honey, you okay? you look sad, are you upset?" and I'm just like ", get away from me" but, i can't say that....

So I called my DM this morning at about 8 and asked for a store transfer, and she told me she'd talk to Robbie, and I begged her not to just do another store meeting, because, guys, I know I'm sadistic in writing, and I sound like I have my together and i can stand up for myself, but oh my god, you don't realize how passive I am. Like, I'm internally passive aggressive, and externally so ing passive, passive people can walk all over me. I don't do conflict at all and the stress of this job is finally starting to wear me down. 

My DM probably talked to Robbie today, and now I have to go into work and get the 3rd degree of why I want to transfer and she's going to play all that bull of "I never said that" and "I didn't do that" and I'm going to have so many ing write ups...

I had a bit of a mental breakdown tuesday, and slept for 12 hours today because of it, which is why I'm so late on this. I'm sorry you guys.

 

I'm just... I'm sorry.
Lynn

 

In happier news, if  you got this far. I am writing an EXO fic (LuKai with broken!kaisoo), called Love Like a Vice, and I finished a DaeJae threeshot called Crayons and Juice Boxes