Chapter 23

A Cracked Reflection

 

THIS IS PART OF A DOUBLE UPDATE, PLEASE GO BACK AND READ CHAPTER 22, OKAI?


 

This wasn't what Youngjae had signed up for. He wasn't prepared for this; then again, it had happened so fast, so sudden. Who would have been?

And even though he sprawled in a rather uncomfortable angle on the ground, blood dried and fresh, running down the side of his face, he couldn't help but ask himself the same thing over and over again.

Don't look. Whatever you ing do, don't look.

Because the last thing Youngjae wanted to remember was someone else sprawled in the dirt across from him, unmoving and still. So maybe he was being a little bit overly dramatic, and he wasn't really dying. Then again, maybe he was. It was hard for Youngjae's brain to wrap around the concept as his lungs continued to burn with the smoke that filled the air. He hadn't expected this to happen, none of them had. It had all happened so drastically, too, he had barely even a moments to blink. In his haze filled mind, all Youngjae could really remember was an explosion, possibly two. The smoke had clouded his vision as the screams of raw terror and pain filled his every being, echoing and repeating for his mind to turn over for the moments afterwards. Debris fell around him and Youngjae found himself falling with them.

Youngjae could hear someone shouting, their voice barely audible over the ringing in his ears. The ground was confusingly cold against Youngjae's cheek, even though he was almost positive that there was a fire around nearby. He could feel it very nearly at his skin. He wanted to move, move towards the distant voice, but for some reason, he couldn’t seem to bring his body to move. Everything felt weighted down, heavy as though the air above him was silently pressing him farther and farther into the ground with an immense pressure. Trying to bury him beneath the rubble and charred remains of the abandoned warehouse.

His vision was blurry as he tried to pry open his eyes, wanting to at least see the damage around him. He wanted to shout for help, for attention... for anything, but his mouth had never felt so dry. He knew it was stupid, that it wouldn't do any good, but still, he tried to reach out and grab something to remind him that this was real, that he was there and that this was truly happening. There was a low rumble nearby, mixing with the sound of the crackling fire as the pressure on Youngjae's body seemed to double.

A bitter smile suddenly crossed his lips as his breath came out in harsh gasps, a laugh suddenly bubbling up within his throat, tearing at his strained vocal cords. He was almost sure that this was the end. Maybe it was for the best, after all, he had never truly belonged with B.A.P, nor did he ever really fit into the task force. Youngjae could only hope that they'd break the news gently to P.O, that was if they ever found his body.

Just as Youngjae is about to let his mind slip back into the inky blackness, away from the pain and fear that filled his very core, a voice echoed above the static in his ears once more and a shadow moved across his blurred vision. The pressure around him lifts slightly, and Youngjae finds himself trying to reach out to the warmth that was so close by.

“Leave me the alone! I am finding him, damnit!!”

There it was again, maybe Youngjae was just imaging it, but, it was real enough that the dirty blonde continued to grasp onto what once of consciousness he still had.

"Youngjae..." the voice was horse, and it took a few harsh blinks before Youngjae finally brought the other into focus. His brown hair had been slightly singed and various cuts and bruises littered his exposed skin, what looks to be soot smeared everywhere else. The smoke filled air behind him seemed to swirl angrily, ashes and still burning embers flying through the air and landing upon anything they could get their greedy little hands on.  "Can you move... Youngjae?"

Youngjae had never heard Daehyun sound so distressed as his fingertips ghosted over various places on Youngjae's body, trying to check the younger over for injures without hurting him. He curses softly, hands coming up to cup Youngjae's cheek and brush the blood matted hair away from his forehead, "Youngjae, please... Open back up your eyes!"

Youngjae blinked his eyes open instantly, muddled and confused over when they had even closed in the first place. The world tipped to the side, spinning out of focus as Youngjae began to panic, his breath coming in short and harsh gasps, that was until strong arms wrapped around him, holding him close.

".... Youngjae... it's going to be okay... I'll... I'll get you out... okay?"

Despite the pain, Youngjae smiled. Everyone in B.A.P had been so nice to him, caring and all around amazing, but... never in his life had he ever been hugged with such need, Daehyun practically clutching him to his chest in fear that the younger would just blow away like the smoke that surrounded him. Carefully, Youngjae gripped Daehyun's shirt between his fingers. Youngjae's neck begins to feel moist where Daehyun has taken to resting his forehead, mumbling nonsense into his skin as they just sat there.

"Youngjae... Keep your eyes open for me, okay?" Daehyun's voice was soft, "I'm getting us out of here..."

Youngjae tried, honestly, he did. He tried to keep his focus on Daehyun himself, but, it was just too much for him. It , really, that his last thought would be of regret. Regret that he couldn't even keep one last promise for Daehyun. Because no sooner had he asked for Youngjae to try to remain conscious, Youngjae's eyes had already begun to drift shut. The buzzing and ringing finally quieted down, and Youngjae wondered briefly if maybe his hearing had finally decided to go out as everything seemingly faded into nothiningness, pulling him into its icy grip without so much as a second thought.

 

 

A scream of terror bubbled up in Youngjae’s throat as he shot upright, fighting against the constriction that surrounded him in a moment of pure panic. His head was throbbing and his joints ached with every move that he made, and in the darkness his breath came out in sharp gasps. He could still smell the smoke in the air, the fire burning at his skin as the fallen rubble pressed in around him, suffocating him, killing him.

Somewhere, a soft light before the door on the far side of his room opened, and Daehyun hurried in, “Youngjae… Youngjae stop that!” he said quickly, hands pressing into Youngjae’s shoulders as he tried to make the younger lay back down. “Youngjae, please… calm down…” he said, leaning over to sit on the edge of the bed as he finally got Youngjae to lay back down and untangled the blankets from around him.

“D…Daehyun…” Youngjae managed to gasp out, his hands feeling clammy and the terror from the memory induced nightmare continued to roll about in his mind.

“I’m here, Youngjae.” Daehyun said softly, reaching up to run his fingers lightly through the other’s dark blonde hair. “This is the third time tonight… Are you sure you’re okay?” Daehyun had already been into the room to comfort Youngjae several times that night, at one point having to get the younger out of bed and take him around just to show him that each of the members were safe and sound in their own beds, minus Zelo who was curled up in Yongguk’s room for probably the same reasons Youngjae was having.

Youngjae wanted to nod his head and tell Daehyun to go on back to his room, that Youngjae could handle it on his own, but the words caught in his throat as he slowly shook his head no.

Daehyun allowed a small smile to cross his lips as he nudged the other over before sliding into the bed and under the covers, “Want to talk about it?”

“N… No.”

“Okay…” Daehyun rolled over, pulling Youngjae close to his chest as he wrapped his arms protectively around the younger.

“What about the other gang?”

“You mean U-Kiss?”

Youngjae nodded slowly, “Yeah…”

“They lost two members…” Daehyun mumbled softly, his grip on Youngjae tightening slowly, “T… The explosions came from their side of the building… There was no way we could help… “

Youngjae let out a small sigh, his hands shaking, “… We almost didn’t get out of there.”

“Shh, stop thinking about that.”

“If Zelo and Jongup hadn’t been outside…”

“But they were, Youngjae…”

“But… what if you hadn’t come back inside once you had gotten out?”

“I would never change my decision. Stop letting your imagination run wild, Youngjae… You’re safe, okay?”

“But…”

“Youngjae… We can’t change what happened.”  Daehyun said quickly, noticing the signs of Youngjae already slipping into another panic attack.

“B...but… we almost died…”

“But we didn’t…  We didn’t, Youngjae…” Daehyun whispered.


My first double update...

This was all supposed to be one chapter, but... I just decided to split it into two because it was really long, and so far I've kept all of my chapters between 3/4 to 6/7 pages. This chapter would have been closer to 10 pages, if I had let it be. 

Anyways... I've started the subplot, haha... I told you guys action would be coming up. Are you guys ready for this? (this is totally derailing from the MV for a little while, I'm both sorry and not sorry... I think I'm just dragging on the story so I don't have to give you guys up... but with that said... They need to actually do stuff as a gang, other wise.... In the end, they rob a money truck for Youngjae... because he makes good cheese cake? ... no I want a real reason as to why Youngjae is so important...). Anyways, I know it probably makes no sense, but it will! I promise!

It's 2.52am. Haha... I should have been asleep hours ago. I love you guys~!

.. OH yeah. The DaeJae ship sets sail next chapter. *preparing the buckets of feels*.

 

Cuddles,

Lynn