Chapter 31

A Cracked Reflection

Jae… You’re starting to worry me, what’s going on?

Youngjae glanced back at the group of boys as they worked on getting Himchan to move into a bit more of a protected area, just in case the shooter took aim once more. He stepped off to the side, putting a bit of distance between himself and the others as he pressed the phone harder into his ear, wrapping his free arm around his chest, “It’s… complicated. Just… will you help me?”

I never said I wouldn’t, Youngjae…  I’m not going to get arrested or anything, right?”

“No… but… nobody can know we are coming… You can’t tell anyone, got it?”

“Then how am I supposed to help you—“

“Anyone outside of the hospital, you idiot… I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to call you an idiot… well, I did, but… aish, you just can’t tell anyone that I was there.”

“Youngjae…. Are you… you know… working right now?”

“Yeah.” Youngjae pinched the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes tightly as he listened to the silence on the other line, “I promise, you won’t get into any trouble for this…”

“Don’t worry about that… I’ve got the paper work in front of me, Give me the details.”

Youngjae nodded, mentally face/palming as he remembered he was on the cell phone and the action wouldn’t actually be seen. “Alright…” He walked over to Himchan quickly, speaking as he approached, “Single GSW to the left arm, I guess the bicep area. The bullet is still in his arm, and we’ve kept pressure on it.”

“I want you to add a tourniquet.”

“A turnawhat?”

“Tourniquet, Jae. Tourniquet! Rip up some fabric or something and tie it as tightly around his arm—above the wound mind you— as you can to stop the blood flow to the rest of his arm so that you can stop the bleeding. What’s the pain level?”

Youngjae quickly pulled the phone away, muting the speaker before looking at Himchan, “Hyung… Hyung, on a scale of 1 to 10, what’s your pain leve—“

“ if I know!” Himchan shouted, his voice shaking as he stared up at Youngjae, “I was shot!”

Youngjae unmated the phone, but not before backing away from Himchan a bit, “Uhm, well, H… he’s aware that he was shot…”

“Oh god! You scared me, the line went silent and I thought you hung up!” There was soft rustling on the other side, “Okay, if he’s still awake, I’ll put it down at… er… six. We’ll go with six. Do you happen to know his medical history?”

“Uhmm…”

“Okay, never mind, we’ll take care of that when you get here. Do I need to send an ambulance out to get him—“

“No… We got that part… We’re about 15 minutes out.”

“Okay… I’ll have a few EMTs waiting for your arrival… and Youngjae…. Make sure you remove anything we can ID him with, okay? I’m filing him as Hong Gil-dong okay?”

“Okay… thanks for this, really.”

“Don’t get all sappy on me; just get him here so I can help you.”

Youngjae pulled the phone away from his ear, pushing it into his pocket as he ignored the stares of confusion from the others, “Himchan? Do you have your wallet on you?”

“No…”

“Any other forms of ID?” As Youngjae spoke, he carefully pulled his knife from his pocket, cutting away a good portion of the sleeve of Himchan’s shirt that was already ruined before tying it tightly at the top of the elders arm, flinching back as Himchan thrashed in pain. “S…Sorry.”

Himchan the air in through his clenched teeth, screwing his eyes shut as he tried to ignore Youngjae’s attempts to stop the bleeding. “Only my tattoo.” He finally said, wincing as Youngjae’s grip tightened just slightly on his arm.

“… I forgot about that…” Youngjae looked up, “Yongguk hyung… can you get the van over here? Daehyun, help him lower the seats so we can lay Himchan hyung in the back so that we can keep his arm at the right level and—“

“Youngjae.”

Youngjae immediately froze at the tone of Yongguk’s voice and he turned his gaze back up to the eldest, never wavering from the intense eye contact. He took a deep breath, “Trust me, please.”

Yongguk seemed to scrutinize him for just a few moments before nodding, “Okay… C’mon Dae…”

Youngjae let out a puff of air, turning to look at Jongup and Zelo, “Zelo… could you go into Himchan’s room and find his bb cream?”

As the blue- hair maknae got up, rushing back to the ware house without a single question, Jongup turned his gaze to Youngjae. “Will hyung be okay?” He asked, his voice barely above a whisper as he held tightly onto Himchan’s hand.

“I… don’t know.”

Jongup nodded a little, taking Youngjae’s honest answer as good enough for now before turning his attention back to Himchan, trying to distract the elder from the pain by running his fingers lightly through his hair.

When Zelo returned with the BB cream, Youngjae made quick work of moving the collar of Himchan’s shirt to expose the pink masked bunny tattoo right at his shoulder. He narrowed his eyes at his own blood stained hands, glancing to Zelo’s to see the maknae with the same issue. “Jongup… Are your hands clean?”

Jongup held up his palms, nodding, “Yeah, why?”

Youngjae handed the BB cream to the confused boy, “Cover up his tattoo…”

Himchan, despite his pain levels, could only groan in annoyance, “That stuff is expensive!” He mumbled as Jongup rubbed the concealer into Himchan’s shoulder, adding liberal amounts to cover the dark tattoo.

“I’ll buy you more, Hyung…” Jongup smiled.

They had just managed to get the tattoo completely covered when Daehyun and Yongguk returned with the van, pulling up to the curb and throwing open the doors. Youngjae stood back, letting the elder two pick up Himchan carefully, carrying him to the van before they all piled in.

 

The ride had been silent, and true to his word, when they had pulled up at the front of the hospital, a few confused looking EMTs were waiting by the door with a gurney. They didn’t question anything though as the moved Himchan from the back and strapped him carefully onto the gurney. Jongup immediately jumped up to follow after them so that he could stay by Himchan’s side, but Daehyun’s hand on his shoulder stopped him.

“Uppie… let them fix him first… He’ll be okay.” He whispered as Jongup looked back at him with wide eyes, biting his bottom lip with a sad nod.

“You guys stay here. I’ll be right back.” Youngjae said, jumping out of the van and catching the arm of the nearest nurse as he dragged the male off to the side and out of ear shot of the others. “Ground rules, if they ask you questions, you can’t answer them. Don’t talk about anything personal, no matter what. And if anyone outside of the hospital talks to you, I was never here, you have to promise me that right now.” Youngjae said quickly.

“What did you do to your hair?”

Youngjae let out a frustrated huff, “Really, JB. Really? I bring you someone who has been shot, and tell you that this is a serious matter, this is something that could get us both killed… and you ask about my hair?!”

The blonde in front of Youngjae pouted just a little, crossing his arms, “Well, I’m sorry. Last I saw, your hair was blonde and you were a lot fluffier.” He stole a glance over Youngjae’s shoulder, looking at the rest of B.A.P as they climbed out of the van before Yongguk pulled away from the front entrance to find a parking spot. “Is it really that serious, Youngjae?”

With a quick nod of his head, Youngjae glanced back at the others, catching Daehyun’s eyes for just a brief second before offering the elder a small smile and turning back to JB. “Yeah, it really is.”

“Okay, okay… so no personal information. Nobody knows you were here.” JB said, “Look, Youngjae… I’ve got this; okay… this isn’t the first time you guys have come in while… you know… On the job. We have procedures set up for this kind of thing.”

Youngjae’s eyes widened in panic, “No, nonono, you can’t tell the force… You can’t file this with them. This is strictly off the record. Off all of them.”

“You do realize this can get me fired, right?”

“You owe me.”

JB sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose before nodding, “You’re right, I do. And I can just kick a man that has been shot out of the hospital when he needs help. Gather up your friends and follow me… I still need basic medical records so we at least know what he’s allergic to.”

Youngjae nodded, turning back to the group and waving them over before following after JB’s footsteps as he went back through the sliding doors of the emergency department.

“Youngjae hyung… who is that?”

Youngjae glanced over as Zelo fell into step next to him, watching JB is a bit of apprehension. He chose not to answer, so Zelo pressed on. “Will hyung be okay here?”

Youngjae nodded, “Yeah… don’t worry, okay. He’s a friend.” He whispered back, offering Zelo a strained smile as he patted the maknae on the arm lightly.

JB turned back to the group, “Er… it’ll probably be best to move you guys into a private waiting room…. Uh… this way…” He motioned to the large doors off to the side of the ER waiting room, knocking on the counter to get the nurse behind the computers attention, “I need that file I left up here earlier…”

“Right here JB…” She said, holding out the thin manila folder. She eyed the others, “Are any of you here to check in?”

“Ah, no there with me…” he said, grabbing the file and hurrying over to press his badge to the sensor to open the automatic doors. He ushered them through the doors, falling into a quick step down the hallway as he opened the file and flipped through it. He pushed open another swinging door and held it open for the others, before following them into the smaller room.

“Alright, uhm… Youngjae didn’t tell me much over the phone… Allergies? Any current medications? Any medical conditions? Any past surgeries?” The list kept going as JB held out the medical file expectantly, waiting for one of them to take the file to fill out the needed forms.

Yongguk reached out, “I’ll fill it out…” he said.

JB smiled, handing over the file, “Thanks…” Just as he was getting ready to sit down with them, the beeper at his side went off. He pulled it up, looking down at the screen, “… Stay here…”

“Wait, JB… is it a different patient or is it-“

JB was already out the door, Youngjae at his heels. It was only a few minutes before another nurse came back into the room, dragging Youngjae along behind herself. “Sir. If you do not take a seat, I am going to have to call security on you, now please. This is a place of healing.”

Youngjae ground his teeth as he stormed back into the room, throwing himself back down into the chair he had previously occupied. “Fine. See.” He snapped, narrowing his eyes at the nurse as she rolled her eyes and walked back out of the room.

“Youngjae, what was that about?”

“They have to take Himchan in to surgery… JB wouldn’t tell me anymore.” He said, resting his elbows onto his knees and he buried his face into his hands.

Zelo leaned back in shock, staring up at the ceiling. He turned to look to his left as Yongguk suddenly stood from his seat. “Hyung-?”

“I want you, Jongup and Youngjae to stay here… Daehyun. You’re with me.”

“What? Where are you guys going, Himchan hyung needs us all.” Jongup said, looking up as Daehyun joined Yongguk.

The elder merely shook his head, “I’ve got to go sort out a few things, Jongup.” Yongguk gave Youngjae a look, “You stay on your friend, got it… any changes in Himchan’s condition, and you call immediately, the number is the first on Himchan’s speed dial…” Before Zelo or Jongup could argue any more, Yongguk was already pulling Daehyun out of the room, letting the door to the waiting room close behind them.

 

“Yongguk, where are we going?” Daehyun finally spoke up as he climbed into the passenger seat of the van, watching with worry as Yongguk started up the van. Himchan was usually the one to drive them around, need they go anywhere as Yongguk wasn’t exactly… the best of drivers. He pulled the seat belt across his chest as he waited for Yongguk to explain himself.

“Just follow my lead. And don’t talk out of line.”

“Yongguk-“

“Daehyun, we’re not playing silly war games anymore. It’s not about marking territory or getting the drug heads off the streets, this is serious. Someone tried to ing blow us up… and now they are taking shots at us…”

Daehyun grabbed the bar above the door, bracing himself as Yongguk took a hard right. He wasn’t so lucky at the next left, as his face mushed into the window from the force of the turn. Rubbing at the sure to be sore spot on his head, Daehyun looked over at Yongguk, “Okay… You’re right.” He mumbled, looking back out at the road, pushing his feet against the floorboard as Yongguk slammed on the breaks. “I’ve got your back, Yongguk.”

The leader smiled a little, patting Daehyun’s arm before climbing out of the van. Daehyun was just a step behind him the whole time as they entered the nice looking office building.

“Excuse me, may I help you?” The lady behind the front counter stood to her feet as Yongguk strode into the waiting room. “Sir, do you have an appointment?”

Yongguk ignored her as he continued on in the direction of the elevators.

“Sir, I do not want to have to call security on you.”

Yongguk stopped, closing his eyes briefly as he took a deep, steady breath. The secretary’s heels clicked across the floor as she made her way over, “If you do not tell me what your business is here, I will have to ask you to leave.” Yongguk pinched the bridge of his nose, calming himself before glaring at her.

“First off, it is none of your damn business what we are doing here. Second, you’re going to get on that phone of yours, and phone your boss and tell him either he can let me up there or he can get his lazy down here, otherwise, I’m going to raise some hell and trust me, babe, you do not want to clean that mess up.” Yongguk took a step forward, towering over the smaller girl, his glare unnaturally hard, “Now run along before you really piss me off.”

Her expression was froze in a state of shock as she nodded mutely and back away from Yongguk, going over to her desk and picking up the phone. Taking a deep breath, she quickly said into it, “Sir. You have visitors here to see you… Yes, I understand you aren’t taking appointments right now—well no sir, but… I see. I don’t know if that is smart sir—No, sir, it’s just—“ she squeaked in surprise as the phone was ripped from her hands.

“I’m coming upstairs whether you are taking appointments or not.” Yongguk paused, letting the man on the other end of the line say what he needed to, “I knew you would see things my way.” He tossed the phone back to the lady before rounding on to Daehyun who was standing not too far behind him, “Alright, c’mon.”

Daehyun followed him without question, standing next to him in silence as they entered the waiting elevator and Yongguk pressed the button for the top most floor. The ride was honestly maybe only 30, maybe 40 seconds, but it felt like it stretched on for hours before the doors finally opened and Yongguk was striding out of the elevator with quick steps, leaving Daehyun scrambling to catch up with him.

The closed door at the end of the hall was disregarded, not even so much as a knock before Yongguk pushed it open. He waited until it clicked shut behind Daehyun before speaking up.

“I want to know everything you know on a gang called ‘Exo’.”

“Yeah… You’d better get in line…” The chair spun around to reveal the man sitting behind it. His brown hair was styled rather messily, half of it framing his face while the rest was pulled into a ponytail right at the back of his head. He opened his mouth to say more to Yongguk, but his eyes drifted over to Daehyun again. “Where’s Himchan?”

“That’s why I need to know everything about Exo.”

“Because Himchan isn’t here? Any times your boss sends his errand bunnies out, Himchan is always here.” The man raised an eyebrow, resting his chin carefully on his hand as he watched Yongguk, “I need an explanation.”

“Jaehyo… Himchan was shot today…”

The brunettes eyes got wide as his hand fell down limply to the desk he sat at, “W…what?” Jaehyo glanced back at Daehyun, “He’s not… you know…” he looked back at Yongguk with wide eyes, “You didn’t have to… replace…”

Yongguk shook his head, “No… he is at the hospital right now, but it’s serious…”

Jaehyo nodded, leaning over to pick up the phone from his desk, pressing a single button and waiting for a minute, “Yes. I need to see you in my office. Thank you.” He hung up before looking to Yongguk, “As you know, we gather information for everyone here… As far as I know, no new information point to B.A.P as the target has been passed around here.” He told the two standing before him right before there was a soft knock on the door.

“You wanted to see me?”

Jaehyo nodded, “Yes.” He waved the male farther into the room, “Have you heard anything on a gang called… Exo? Right?”

Yongguk nodded, “Yeah, Exo… they might be from China, we aren’t so sure… Nu’Est said that they are keeping things under wraps right now and are difficult to track…”

Jaehyo smiled, “Well, if anyone is able to track the untraceable, it’s Taeil here.” He said.

The short male nodded, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose, “Uhm, well, I’ve heard a bit about Exo, just rumors here or there, not enough to pull together a file for you…” Taeil turned his head to the side, staring at Daehyun. “You look familiar.”

Daehyun took a good look at Taeil, trying to see if he by any chance recognized the other male. With a shrug of his shoulders, he shook his head, “I don’t recognize you, sorry.”

Taeil, however, continued to stare. Suddenly his eyes widened behind his glasses and he snapped his fingers, “Oh! I know where, I think!” He said, leaving the room briefly before coming back with a small folder, he slipped out a single sheet of paper, holding it up and looking from it to Daehyun several times before nodding his head, “Okay, yeah… I know where now.”

Yongguk stepped over, “What is that a picture of?” He asked, taking Taeil’s wrist and turning his hand a little to take a look at the picture for himself.

“What? No, nothing… work for another client is all.”

Yongguk ground his teeth as Taeil tried to hide the picture away. He’d only seen it for a brief second, but in that second, eh could clearly make out the picture taken of Daehyun, a sleeping Youngjae balanced on his back as he was in mid sentence, talking to Zelo who stood next to him. “What client?”

“Classified information, I’m sorry.” Taeil said quickly. “Yah! Don’t look through that!” Taeil made a grab for the file that Yongguk snatched from him, but Yongguk used his slight height over Taeil to his advantage. He opened up the folder, quickly flipping through the pictures within. A lot of them were grainy, taken from an obvious distance with not the best conditions, but some were in clear detail, obviously showing the work of the professional.

The top most were different angles of the first picture, from the day that they had taken Youngjae to Japan to get his tattoo. “Someone is targeting Daehyun?” Yongguk asked, voicing the statement as a question as he looked to Taeil briefly before looking back at the pictures. Right beneath the photos of Daehyun and Youngjae were a new set, the date in the bottom older than the others. At first Yongguk didn’t understand why there were photos of an empty window, the curtains pulled open and the hints of an empty apartment visible through the gap. However, the next picture made Yongguk infinitely angrier. “Who is after Youngjae?” he asked, glaring at Taeil as the other male shifted nervously from foot to foot.

Daehyun was instantly at Yongguk’s side, snatching the folder to see for himself, flipping through the pictures at the back, recognizing Youngjae’s previous apartment almost instantly.

Taeil shook his head, “I’m sorry, I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”

Jaehyo stood, walking from around his desk and taking the file from Daehyun, “Yongguk, you know as well as anyone else, we don’t pick sides here. We just collect the information and distribute it. If someone chooses to conduct a privet investigation, it’s their choice… besides… from the pictures, it looks like someone was after your guy much before you guys picked him up…” he then turned to Taeil, handing him back the file, “Find what you can for this guys on this ‘Exo’ group, okay?”

Taeil nodded, giving him a mock salute, “Will do…” He said.

Once the door shut behind Taeil, Jaehyo turned to Yongguk, “I will personally call you when more information arrives.” He gave him a light smile, “In the mean time though, try not to scare my secretary… she is only doing her job.”

Yongguk tried to smile back, the emotion strained and more of a grimace in the end.

“Alright now… I do have another appointment. Give Himchan my regards.”

“Okay… thanks, Jaehyo.”

 

Once Yongguk and Daehyun were back in the car, Yongguk leaned back in his seat and let out a gust of air, staring at the ceiling as he let the car idle. “We shouldn’t leave Youngjae on his own… not until we know who is going through all the trouble to follow him…”

Daehyun nodded in agreement. “We can’t all stay at the hospital though… they’ll say something eventually.”

Yongguk sighed once more, pinching the bridge of his nose, “I don’t like it…. But we’ll have to split up into two groups and take turns staying at the hospital. I’ll keep an eye on Youngjae, and you watch over Zelo and Jongup—“

“Wait, hyung… It’d be better if you stayed with Zelo and Jongup…”

“And why is that?”

Daehyun scrambled through his thoughts, trying to find an answer that wasn’t ‘because me and Youngjae are kinda sorta dating, also, because he and Youngjae hadn’t been together but for close to 24 hours and he didn’t want to share just yet.’ So instead, Daehyun settled with, “Zelo listens to you more, and with Himchan in the hospital, both he and Jongup are going to need comfort.”

Yongguk seemed to think this over before nodding, “Yeah, you’re probably right…” He said, “Okay, so I’ll take first shift with Zelo and Jongup, and you and Youngjae can head home, get some rest, and then come back in the morning to swap places.”

Daehyun nodded, glancing out the window as Yongguk pulled away from the curb and headed back in the direction of the hospital. He would have rather stayed together as a whole, just in case someone did show up to confront Youngjae, but he knew that they would have raised suspicion in the hospital waiting room as a whole group.

Daehyun could only hope that if someone did show up, he could protect Youngjae from any harm.


 

OMG. I am so sorry about the terribly long wait between the two chapters. I've been having alot of difficulties at home, and then my mom wouldn't let me on her comptuer for ever and a day. But since she's been out of the country for the past week, I've been on the computer alot and i've gotten alot written. 

So few links here. I've uploaded more oneshots kinda sorta recently, from "Behind Closed Doors" (DaeJae, Jae centered angst fic about suicide), to "With Thoughts of You" (BangLo, solo-shot/ion oneshot), and "Ties That Bond" (a 2BangHim ty fic, that will actually have an epilog uploaded to it either tonight or tomorrow, and then I'm adding a sort of DaeJae tag to it, with more , so keep an eye out for that?) I also have a ton of new oneshot ideas, including a not B.A.P one (it's gonna be a U-Bomb, :D)

 

Also, I think my tumblr exploded. Like... I can't get on there without seeing so much Exo. Oh... my god. I have seen more Exo in the past day then I have in a whole year!

Speaking of Exo, i never did tell you guys about the ever so lovely 5thofpop, did I? With out her, I wouldn't have had a bad guy/gang for this group because I was so set on using Exo that I couldn't picture anyone else in that spot as a rival gang. (Unfortunantly, as some of you may know... I know zero about Exo), but with 5thofpop's amazing help and very detailed information, I was able to use them. :D I tried to make my questions to her as vague as possible, but it's nice to have an amazing friend that would be willing to hear the spoilers so that I could get more information on the boys.

 

In other news, I cut off all of my hair and I can't stop playing with it. it is so short (I basically got it cut like Youngjae's hair in "Stop It' no i did not show a picture of Youngjae to my hair dresser. It was bad enough that one time I got my hair cut like Taemin's in "Lucifer" she kept telling me that "the girl was so pretty")

 

Anyways, this A/N is getting to long. Peace out guys! I'll update again soon!!

Cuddles,

Lynn

ETA:

Why does AFF keep marking chapters as "M" when I drop an F bomb? Like, srsly. y ity . >< Stop marking it "M" AFF!!