Chapter 46

A Cracked Reflection

Third update in the past 48 hours. Once more. Please check to make sure you've read Chapter 44 and 45 before continueing, or you will ruin all the fun.


The scream shattered the silence of the abandoned subway station, the heartbroken and pain filled sound echoing off the brick walls.

“Would someone shut him the hell up!!”

U-kwon rushed over, collapsing to the ground, “Youngjae! Youngjae, what’s going on!!”

Youngjae jerked into a full sitting position, his eyes wide as he looked from U-kwon to everyone surrounding him. His palms instantly went to his chest, where he pressed against the unbroken and bruised skin, wincing as the pain from his broken rib flared up.

“I…. uh… nightmare…”

U-kwon nodded in understanding. “It’s okay, Jae… we’re almost done… B.A.P will be here any minute.”

Youngjae nodded slowly, biting his lip as everyone began to disperse. “U-kwon… No… nobody’s going to… get hurt… right?”

U-kwon touched the side of Youngjae’s face, “Jae… of course not, we are here to take them into custody, not kill them…” He noticed the tears pooling in Youngjae’s eyes, “Jae… what was the dream about?”

“U..uh… someone… shot me… in the back… and… They all died…” Youngjae sniffled a bit, looking at his feet, “I just want to go home, U-kwon… I don’t want this.”

U-kwon shushed him softly, rubbing gently at his shoulders, “Don’t worry, as soon as this is over, P.O will come and get you and you can go home…”

“I don’t want to go back to my apartment… I want to go home.”

U-kwon sighed, “Jae…” He lowered his voice to a whisper, “We have a plan.. But… Youngjae, I’m sorry… They are going to know… After this… they will know who you are.”  He gently wiped away the tears that were gathering in Youngjae’s eyes, “They’ll be safe after this, Youngjae… but… You aren’t one of them, and… I don’t think you’ll ever be after this.”

Youngjae nodded a little, his heartbeat feeling like a hammer against his ribs as he tried to it up and dry up his tears. “You’re right, U-kwon… I… I’m a cop. This was only my job.”

“And you did a helluva job, kid… Let’s just get this over with.”

 

Youngjae was left resting against the wall once more, this time, no matter how much his eyes wanted to droop closed, Youngjae forced himself to stay awake. He didn’t want to deal with another nightmare, he couldn’t handle going through another. He was sure they had finally stopped after Daehyun had helped him through it, but now, he was left with the inner guilt as he thought of his boyfriend, of the lack of support Youngjae had now that he had to return to the ‘good side’.

He’d screwed them all over, and in his heart, he knew U-kwon was right. After everything was reviled, they would never accept him back. He was a traitor, both to his old family and his new family alike. He hung in the balance of what the police thought were wrong and what B.A.P thought were right. If they never forgave him, it’d still be too soon.

He’d hurt them in more ways than Zico ever had, then the guys that had hurt Himchan, the way that Zelo’s parents neglected him, the mysterious man who had taken Jongup’s family from him... He was everything that Yongguk was trying to protect his family against.

Youngjae refused to move his head from where it was rested against the rough brick as footsteps echoed through the abandoned station.

Something hit the concrete with a heavy ‘thud’, and Yongguk’s deep voice reached Youngjae.

“There’s the damn money, hand over Youngjae.”

Youngjae stood crooked on his feet as two of the men ‘guarding’ him hauled him up, waiting just a split second for him to gather his balance as his vision lurched from the position change before dragging him forward so that B.A.P could see him. Youngjae kept his eyes on the ground as one of the cops ran forward, picking up the briefcase and opening, inspecting the money within before giving the okay.

Youngjae was shoved forward roughly, and he stumbled, nearly hitting the ground as the police officer on reflex reached out for his shoulder to steady him. Youngjae brushed it off as he continued the staggering steps to Yongguk.

“Youngjae…” Yongguk’s smile was tense, almost forced as he took in the multiple lacerations on Youngjae’s face and the deep bruising that marred the once pale and clear skin. “Let’s go home…” He pulled Youngjae close, hugging onto him.

Youngjae’s heart thudded a painful rhythm as he enjoyed the comfort for one last time. Himchan looked relieved, reaching back for support from Jongup as the teen smiled at Youngjae in encouragement. Zelo shifted his weight back and forth, looking like an excited puppy as he tried to bite back his grin and not rush forward to hug onto Youngjae.

There was only one place he refused to look, and he knew that the second he did, it would make this so much harder.

“Go… now. Just run, please, hyung, get everyone to run now.” Youngjae was aware of just how horse his voice was as he whispered quickly to Yongguk, keeping his voice low so that nobody else could hear him.

“Youngjae, we paid them, its okay… You’re safe-“ Yongguk pulled back, looking Youngjae in the eyes.

“I am. But you’re not… I am so… so ing sorry…. Please… run… just… please.” Youngjae tried to take a half step back, to put distance between him and Yongguk. He took a deep breath, steeling himself as he took in the look of worry in Yongguk’s eyes before he shattered the news, knowing that by doing so, his family would be gone. “I’m a cop.”

Yongguk’s hands stiffened on his shoulders, gripping into the skin with a sudden tightness. “Youngjae, this isn’t ing funny…” He whispered, staring Youngjae in the eye as he tried to find some sort of hint that he was lying.. “… you’re serious…”

Youngjae was surprised when Yongguk didn’t immediately release him, or push him away like he was some contamination. Instead, he flinched hard when Yongguk’s thumb traced over one of the cuts on his cheek, and he inhaled sharply at the pain that flared up as Yongguk pressed a bit harder into the cut, his eyes narrowed.

“That’s real. That’s not makeup…”

It took Youngjae a few moments to understand what Yongguk was saying as he felt the cut begin to bleed once more, the bright crimson beading up beneath the agitated scab before slowly rolling down his cheek. “Hyung… There’s no time for this… Please… just go.”

By now, Himchan stepped forward, his hand light on Yongguk’s shoulder, “What’s going on?”

Yongguk was still staring into Youngjae’s eyes, “We need to get out of here… now…” Yongguk said, his grip on Youngjae’s arm was considerably tighter then before as his nails began to dig into his skin even through the layer of Youngjae’s clothes. “How many of them are there.”

“A…All of them…” Youngjae stuttered, scared to break contact with Yongguk, “I am so ing sorry.”

“Youngjae, I seriously don’t want to hear it…” Yongguk growled, his hands finally leaving Youngjae. He was just turning to face the rest of his gang, to convey Youngjae’s warning to run, when the sounds of echoing stomps filled the stair wells. It only took less than 30 seconds before they were almost completely surrounded by the SWAT team. He could hear Daehyun’s cursing, along with Himchan’s sudden panic as he tried to pull Zelo and Jongup in between them, to protect them from the police.

Despite the way that the members of B.A.P held their hands up in surrender, the police still swarmed them. Yongguk felt the nausea growing as Himchan was the first one to be taken down, a SWAT member grabbing hold of the thin man and forcing him to the wall roughly without a care if he hurt him or not. The memory flashed through his mind, and he felt a new anger bubble in his chest as he wanted to rush forward to protect Himchan.

Yongguk turned back to Youngjae, just in time to see a member of the police force approaching him, saluting him with a grin before pulling something out of his pocket. For a moment, he could have sworn he saw regret in Youngjae’s features. The look was quickly covered by a thinly veiled mask of pain as the police officer clasped Youngjae on the shoulder and the young blonde in a deep breath as he reached up and grabbed his arm at the jarring effect. He seemed to gather himself together before turning back to Yongguk, holding up the badge, “You are under arrest for the crimes committed, but not limited to the ones filed against you under the name of ‘B.A.P’, anything you say can and will be held against you in the court of law.” Youngjae said, his voice somehow remaining emotionless as he recited the words he always knew he’d have to use.

Yongguk felt anger boiling up in him, and in a fluid movement, he grabbed Youngjae’s wrist that was holding the badge, twisting it back till it nearly snapped before he pulled back his own fist. He landed one good punch that sent the young blonde straight to the ground before he was being hauled back by the SWAT members.

Youngjae collapsed to the ground, cradling his now throbbing wrist to his chest as he choked back the sob as he spit out the mouthful of blood. He deserved worse. Yongguk should have broken something, shot him… something more for the pain that he was putting the family through. He kept his head bowed as he listened to the loud shuffling and yelling as the SWAT members tried to gather up the members of B.A.P.

After Yongguk’s display of violence against Youngjae, it seemed that Daehyun had flipped out, not sure if he should run to Youngjae’s side, or help Yongguk beat the out of him, he ended up knocking the SWAT member that was trying to pin him down out cold. It took two more to restrain him, and soon, he found himself being loaded roughly into the back of the armored van with the remaining bits of his family.  He took one glance back behind him, surprised to see Youngjae having picked himself up from the ground. The younger’s movements were slow as he walked away from them, and Daehyun felt a pang in his heart as Youngjae stumbled, reeling back in pain as a police officer brushed past him roughly, not even looking back at him.

“Youngjae!!”

For a brief moment, Youngjae stopped, slowly turning before his eyes made contact with Daehyun’s. Rage coursed through the elder’s body as he in a harsh breath, his voice coming out in barely a whisper, but still by the look on Youngjae’s face, the younger knew exactly what he was saying.

“I hate you.”

 

Himchan was the last one to be forced towards the armored truck where everyone was being loaded up, his turn being halted as the police officers were busy trying to secure Zelo’s restraints into place as the maknae put up as much of a fight as he could, lashing out at anyone who tried to approach him. He’d already bitten three officers and head butted two. The noise around him was loud and chaotic and Himchan just stood there, accepting his fate.

“Our part is done… he hasn’t breathed so much as a word of you, so, everything is going good.”

The voice was enough to send prickles of fear down Himchan’s spine, and he glanced to the side, spotting the police officer just a little ways away, leaned back against the wall as he spoke on the cell phone. Nobody around him seemed to be paying the slightest bit of attention, the swat team to busy loading B.A.P into the armored truck to listen in on the conversation, and the actual task force to far away to even hear the soft spoken conversation.

“Now that you mention it… I do have a favor to ask of EXO…” The police officers grin was sinister. He didn’t even notice Himchan’s gaze as he stared across the abandoned subway station, his eyes fixated on the form that was currently being surrounded by medical personal. “You make it sound like I am asking so much of you… This will be something that you will enjoy… I want you to get rid of Yoo Youngjae.” The police officer let out a small chuckle, “Yes, you can do whatever you want, have at him… I just don’t want to see him again. I’ll text you his address, you can… pick him up tonight.”

Himchan’s heart thudded in his chest, and he glanced back, his eyes landing on Youngjae now, taking in the sight of the younger pushing away the medics to keep them from stopping the blood flow from where Yongguk had decked him.

“C’mon, princess, your turn to go in.” The SWAT man’s voice was condescending as he gripped at Himchan’s elbow, steering him toward the van.

Himchan took a deep breath, quickly stomping down on his foot before he turned away when the officer released his grip on Himchan’s arm. “Yoo Youngjae!!”

His shout gathered the attention of everyone in the station, and a hushed silence fell over them as Youngjae looked up.

“This isn’t over! B.A.P will come after you.” He kept his voice loud, making sure everyone in the area could hear him. “The General will never let you get away with this, you’ll never be safe from B.A.P.”  Himchan smirked as Youngjae paled, his eyes wide as he continued to stare at Himchan with panic in his eyes.

Himchan allowed himself to be loaded into the van, and soon, the doors shut and he was left with the last four members of his family.

“Himchan… what the hell was that about.” Yongguk growled, scooting forward in his seat as far as the chain restraining his handcuffs would let him.

“One of the cops… He’s in with EXO. He has something against Youngjae…”

“And, who gives a .”

Himchan looked up, glaring at Daehyun, “Youngjae saved your life.” He shook his head as Daehyun tried to cut him off, “I don’t care what you have to say, Daehyun. He saved your life. I saved him. We are even.”

Daehyun shut his mouth, leaning back in his seat as he looked away. Himchan looked down to his feet, praying that the cops that Youngjae worked with would take his threat seriously. Himchan felt hurt and betrayed, but part of him still felt the burning need to protect Youngjae despite what had just happened. He sighed a bit, glancing through his bangs at Jongup. The younger offered him a small smile, mouthing out the words to Himchan.

“You did the right think, hyung.”

Himchan nodded a bit, taking a deep breath as he sat up straight, “Well… this is it guys…”

“Hyung… don’t say that… please…”

Himchan smiled, the action never quite reaching his eyes as he looked to Zelo, “There’s nothing more that we can do, Zelo…”

Yongguk wanted to reach out, to make some sort of contact with the maknae of their group as he just stared at Himchan with wide eyes, “Zelo… I’m sorry…”

Zelo shook his head, his lips pressed in a tight line as he looked away from everyone. “Why did Youngjae hyung do this?”

“If one more person says his ing name, I swear to ing god…”

Jongup looked on with sadness, scooting in his own seat the best he could as he nudged Daehyun’s foot with his own to get his attention. “Hyung… it’s okay.”

“No it’s ing not!” The violent outburst from Daehyun startled everyone as he gave a harsh tug at his handcuffs, frustration in his voice as it was a useless action. “It’s not okay, and it never will be.”

Himchan was lost for words, looking up at Yongguk pleadingly as he was unable to move to comfort his now crying dongsaeng, unable to protect him from the ache of a broken heart.

 

 

Youngjae stood, half in shock as several of his co-workers approached him. He blinked, half into awareness as Minhyuk tried to get his attention.

“Hey… Youngjae… Youngjae… don’t let him get to you, okay? We will keep a detail on you until we are sure that you’re safe from any and all threats.” Minhyuk said, resting his hand on Youngjae’s shoulder.

“Is that really necessary, Minhyuk? Don’t you think Youngjae can take care of himself?”

Minhyuk looked up at Hyunseung as he sauntered over. “Hyunseung, he was just threatened by the most wanted gang in Korea… He deserves to be offered protection until we are sure that his life isn’t in danger.”

Hyunseung rolled his eyes, “Yes, sure, lets waste more over time so that someone can babysit him at all times of the day for a bluff.”

U-kwon was gritting his teeth by this point, “Fine… It’ll be volunteer based… I’m sure Jiuen will agree.” U-kwon smiled at Youngjae, “You can come stay with me and Minhyuk, or go with P.O… we won’t let you out of our sights, okay?”

Youngjae couldn’t form the words, his mouth to dry and his head still spinning too much to processes everything that was going on. U-kwon seemed to understand the sensory overload that Youngjae was experiencing and took his arm gently, “C’mon… You promised me a visit to the hospital…” He cut a glare to Hyunseung, “If you’ll excuse us.”

 

Youngjae found himself laying back on the uncomfortable surface of the doctors table, staring up at the bright lights above him.

“Does this hurt?”

Youngjae nodded as JB gently pressed against his ribs.

“This.”

Youngjae nodded once more.

JB moved his fingers, going to press into Youngjae’s other side when the other reached up, grabbing his wrist, “Don’t… it’s broken, okay?”

JB watched Youngjae for a moment before nodding, grabbing his clip board and jotting it down. “You’re favoring your left hand… what’s wrong with your right?”

“N..Nothing…”

“Yeah, just like nothing nearly broke your nose?”

“I deserved that one.”

JB sighed, pulling the chair up next to Youngjae, “Okay… I’m just JB now, not your doctor… what the hell happened, Youngjae…”

Youngjae turned his head to the side, “I’m a terrible person is what happened, JB…”

“Don’t start that now, Youngjae.”

The blonde let out a heavy sigh, “Himchan hyung wanted me to take out the trash… and… I guess it was just time for Jieun to pull me out… Hyunseung just wanted to make it look real.” Youngjae moved to push himself up onto his elbows so he could sit up, but JB was quick to push him back down.

“What else happened.”

“Nothing…”

JB let out a gust of air, “U-kwon said one of them hit you.”

Youngjae was quick to look away, “Hyung did… but I deserved it.”

“Youngjae.”

“I think my wrist is fractured and like you said, it nearly broke my nose. Are you happy?”

JB shook his head, “Not in the slightest… C’mon now… let’s get you down to x-ray…”

Another nurse came into the room at JB’s call and helped Youngjae into a wheelchair, smiling brightly as she pushed the bruised and battered boy along, not paying the slightest attention to the cloud of depression that hung over his head.

JB made to follow, but was stopped by a hand on his arm. “What all did he do to Youngjae.”

“U-kwon, you know I can’t talk about his medical file with you… not unless he signs a consent form—“

“I’ll get a warrant, and arrest you for standing in the way of a police investigation.”

JB rolled his eyes, holding out his clipboard, “When you put it like that.”

U-Kwon flipped through the papers clipped down. “Possible broken rib, possible fractured wrist, nearly broken nose, deep bruising on face and torso. Dislocated jaw. Multiple stitches on wrists. … Hyunseung managed to do all of this in that one beating… why didn’t Youngjae tell us he was in this much pain all week?”

JB sighed, pulling the clipboard from U-kwon's hands, “What do you mean one beating, the stages of bruising are spaced out over what looks to be a week. His jaw was dislocated within the past 48 hours, and I won’t know how long he’s had the complications with his ribs until the x-ray is developed… Are you sure Hyunseung only went after him once?”

U-kwon shook his head, “JB, Stay with him. Don’t let him out of your sight, got it. I need… to go take care of something.”

JB nodded, “Alright… I’ll text you when he’s ready for discharge…”

“Thanks, JB…” U-kwon offered a small smile before turning on his heel, leaving the hospital with purpose in his step and anger boiling in his blood.


((Holy , I'm uploading at 9.15 and not nearly 4 in the morning. What is this?!))

Not as long as my past two chapters, but that's because this is more of a... bridge more then anything else.

I won't be able to upload in the next few days, as I have work this weekend, but, thank you guys, for not murdering me. 

 

Some of you little stinkers guessed what was going on though... I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless, and please don't murder me. This was a mere... hiccup. This are going to get a whole lot darker. /evil laughter

 

Cuddles,

Lynn