Chapter 1

A Cracked Reflection

Yoo Youngjae prided himself in being a nice person. Even his whole appearance from the soft, blonde hair framing his chubby cheeks to the small stature and slightly squishy tummy screamed ‘he can’t even hurt a fly’. He was caring and generous even to complete strangers, some said he didn’t have a single mean bone in his body and he had to agree with that. He just couldn’t find it in him to be rude, to lie, to steal… any of it.

So it was surprising even to him when he found himself standing outside of his boss’s door with his ear pressed against the wood as he tried to fully make out each word being said on the other side, the coffee he was supposed to bring to his coworkers sat on the floor next to him forgotten.

 

You see, Youngjae worked with a team of highly respected people, not that anyone ever truly knew them. ‘I work for the government’, he’d always said when prompted about his job, and while it was true, it was only a fraction of the truth. He worked for a carefully guarded, tiny little section of the government that didn’t even have an official name (or maybe it did, but, Youngjae was never told it) that dealt with the arrests of some of the most feared criminals in the world.

Well, most of the task force did, at least. Youngjae was just an errand boy of sorts, doing paper work and being the go-for for the other members when someone had a craving form coffee or something of the likes, which brought him back to the curiosity that had led him to eavesdropping on what was being said behind the closed door of the main office.

 

“You can’t be serious about this Jieun! You can’t send him out into this!”

“I can and I will! Now, sit back down this instance or I will have your badge!”

There was the distinct clatter of someone throwing themselves back into a chair, the legs scrapping against the hardwood as it slid back with the sudden wait.

“Now, if you would let me explain myself, Minhyuk, I will be glad to explain why Youngjae, and not you, was chosen for this particular mission despite your amazing track record.”

“Hold that though, Jieun.”

 

Youngjae had no time to jump back from the door as it was flung open, causing him to spill onto the floor. From his position, he was able to get a good look at his surroundings. Jieun sat at her desk, her brown hair curled and down, framing her face, as she stared down at Youngjae. Minhyuk stood over him, his arms crossed over his open sports coat, flipping his brown fringe off of his forehead.

“Look at this, Jieun! He can’t even eavesdrop!”

“Well, it’s a good thing that I don’t want him to eavesdrop.” Jieun replied with a calm smile as she looked from Minhyuk and to Youngjae as the younger turned a bright red.

“He’s green, Jieun!”

“And you reek of cop, Minhyuk! This will be discussed no further, now if you will excuse me, since Youngjae is already here and I need to fill him in on the situation at hand. Please get back to work, Minhyuk.” Jieun stood from her chair, leading the stammering agent from her office as she peaked out into the hallway, “Yukwon, could you please come help Minhyuk here stay in his seat and not disturb me with any more of his question against my authority.”

Down the hallway, a small redhead boy jumped from his seat, running over, “Yeah, of course!” he rushed over, grabbing Minhyuk by the arm, “C’mon! Let’s take care of this coffee, kay, Minhyuk!” he said with a bright smile that would make one question whether or not he really was a highly trained assassin as he grabbed the coffee off the ground and lead Minhyuk away from the office.

 

Jieun walked back into the office, closing the door behind her, “Please, take a seat Youngjae…” She said, offering a kind smile to the confused boy.

Youngjae did as he was told, sitting down in the chair that Minhyuk had occupied not but 30 seconds before. Confusion and curiosity swirled around his head as he waited for Jieun to explain what he was being chosen for, because, he knew for a fact it wasn’t the simple monthly chocolate run for the boss lady.

“Well, I’m sure you heard a good bit of what was going, Youngjae, I’m sure that you have a few questions.”

“A few is a bit of an… understatement.” He mumbled. He then sat up straight, “Wait, I mean… Yes, I do have a few, ma’am.” He said.

“There is no need for the formalities, Youngjae, just Jieun will be fine.” She smiled, adjusting the papers that were strewn across her desk. “Now, I’m sure that you have heard of B.A.P-“

“The gang?” Youngjae blushed as Jieun gave him a pointed look, “Sorry, I won’t interrupt anymore.” He apologized with a soft smile.

“Thank you, now… as I was saying, I’m sure you have heard of the gang BAP, they have been on our radar for several years now. We don’t know much about them, but, our files include the bank heists, the personal robberies, and maybe even a few murders. We’ve never been able to get too far into their organization, but, we've been working for a little over a year on a new project and we’ve been able to secure a good foothold of slipping an agent in.”

“I’m sorry, but… What does that have to do with me?” Youngjae asked.

“I told you, we’ve been working on this for a year.” Jieun said, passing a file to Youngjae who opened it a bit warily. He glanced up at her before looking back at the file, “This is my personal file?” he posed the statement as a question, hoping that Jieun would explain.

Jieun nodded, “Yes and no. It was your personal file, well, the last copy, anyways.” She reached over and took the file back, “For the past year, we have been erasing your past, creating the perfect ghost.” She smiled as she held it up one last time before pressing it down into the shredder next to her desk.

Youngjae looked nervous, “T...The perfect... g…ghost? B...but, Minhyuk… he said…. Shouldn’t… someone more experienced…?” He stuttered, unable to find the right words.

“Minhyuk is right, Youngjae, you are green, but… This is what makes the plan perfect.” Jieun got up, walking around the deck and sitting her hip on the corner of her desk in front of Youngjae. “You don’t have experience, you won’t act out like a cop would… they’ll never suspect a thing.”

“But… what do I have to do?”

“That’s the brilliance, nothing. All you have to do is be you.” She watched Youngjae before smiling, “Look, we’ve been working on this for over a year… Take a few days to yourself… and, try not to talk to anyone outside of the agency about it, okay?”

Youngjae nodded slowly, “O...okay…”

Jieun smiled, “Just remember, if you can do this, you’ll be doing your country a great service. These men need to be stopped.”


Here is chapter one, I hope i don't disappoint you guys as it progresses. Hope you enjoy the start, it'll be building up fairly quickly.

Cuddles,

Lynn