Chapter Eight

Can't Be Tamed

They walked to the bus slowly. SungYeol counting the minutes how much time it took them to get there because MyungSoo was again quiet and SungYeol who got bored of this silence (he didn’t really had a lot to say himself as he wasn’t really a morning person) started counting the minutes.

‘10 minutes’ SungYeol thought when they sat down on the bench, waiting for the bus to arrive. MyungSoo took out his phone and deleted several messages, SungYeol who was glancing at the other’s screen saw multiple times DongWoo’s name coming up but he didn’t know if he should ask MyungSoo about this, DongWoo was also strange when it came to MyungSoo. SungYeol couldn’t help to get curious what went wrong between these two.

“How old are you?” SungYeol asked and MyungSoo looked up from his phone, surprised as this came out of nowhere. “17, I will turn 18 this school-year.” SungYeol smiled. “This makes me your hyung, right?” MyungSoo stared at him as if he was thinking. “What month is your birthday?” SungYeol grinned. “August, I’m from 1991” MyungSoo sighed and looked back down on his phone and nodded. “I’m from March.” SungYeol yelped excited. “Call me hyung.” MyungSoo put his phone away and looked  up to meet the other’s eyes. “SungYeol…hyung.” SungYeol smiled brighter, he really liked being called a hyung and turned away from MyungSoo to stare in the distance, turning his head right in time to see the bus coming.

He stood up and MyungSoo followed him. After they got on the bus, they sat down somewhere in the front which surprised all the girls who were waiting for MyungSoo in the back at his usual spot, glaring at SungYeol and whispering.

“Who’s that guy?” a girl by the name Amber whispered to her friend who turned to watch SungYeol. She recognized him from somewhere but she didn’t know where and she shrugged. “I don’t know,” she replied and they all stared daggers at SungYeol, hoping he would leave soon but it was to no avail as they had to leave the bus earlier than these two and SungYeol was still seated next to MyungSoo.

SungYeol sighed relieved - he felt their eyes the whole time trying to kill him - when they were out of sight. “You should tell them to leave you alone.”

MyungSoo nodded absentminded. “I know but they won’t listen.” The taller thought about it. “Tell them you’ve got a girlfriend then,” he continued. MyungSoo actually liked that idea but not telling them he got a girlfriend but a boyfriend instead, making them all clear he wasn’t interested in girls at all, he glanced at SungYeol before looking back out the window, wondering how it would be if SungYeol became his boyfriend.

He shook his head and SungYeol stared weirdly at him, thinking of why MyungSoo was shaking his head but before he could ask, they arrived at school and had to get off.

They entered the school gates, SungYeol saw DongWoo a little further talking to Hoya, surrounded by others. MyungSoo yawned and SungYeol turned his attention to the younger. “I’m going to sleep in the classroom a little bit, I’ll see you when class starts.” The younger said and SungYeol nodded, seeing MyungSoo walk in the school building, leaving SungYeol alone.

SungYeol turned around, DongWoo waving at him and he walked towards him, greeting him and listening to Hoya talking which wasn’t a talk kids would have. “I banged this chick last night and she had such big I…” SungYeol wasn’t really interested to hear what Hoya did to a girl with big and when he glanced at DongWoo he saw a pained expression on the other’s face but it disappeared the moment he knew SungYeol was looking at him. “Are you alright?” DongWoo started laughing but SungYeol could tell it was a fake laugh. “I’m alright, did you already work on the project?” he asked, wanting to change the subject and SungYeol nodded. “I went to MyungSoo’s house.” DongWoo was surprised but nodded then. “His mother is great, isn’t she?” SungYeol stared at him, confused. “Mother? MyungSoo is living alone.” DongWoo opened his mouth to say something but he couldn’t, too shocked to say something. “I didn’t know that…” he replied softly and then Hoya moved on to another subject, the upcoming party this weekend where he maybe could bang another drunk chick in Kris’ bedroom.

The school bell sounded and they sauntered to class, SungYeol entered the room and saw MyungSoo sleeping like the other said he would. He grinned and walked closer to the younger. “He is really cute,” SungYeol thought and sat down. He took his books when the teacher came inside to start the lesson and glanced back to MyungSoo to see if the other would pay attention which he didn’t.

SungYeol didn’t wake MyungSoo up and no teacher made any advance to scold him by waking him up, they just let him sleep and SungYeol understood why when they got their test results back from a week ago, he was sure MyungSoo was at that time also asleep (like every day) but when he stared at MyungSoo’s paper he wasn’t so sure anymore. “99%”

He stared amazed at the younger. “Wow, you’re good!” MyungSoo shrugged while rubbing his eyes, he woke up after the teacher left their table and looked at SungYeol’s paper: 99%. “You’ve got the same result, though.” SungYeol smiled and looked back at his own paper, satisfied with the result of him studying almost all evening. “That’s true.”

MyungSoo glanced at him before laying back down, closing his eyes again but was interrupted when teacher Tablo started talking about the test scores, first with the best ones. “Kim MyungSoo and Lee SungYeol have the best score, congratulations guys, keep it up.” The whole glass turned to stare at them - some with jealousy, some with admiration and some with hate - before continuing their own business. SungYeol beamed with teacher’s words, MyungSoo not so as he was used to having the best results in class, the fact that SungYeol got the same result made him a little competitive for the next tests.

After school was over, they walked to the bus. “Can I come today?” MyungSoo wanted SungYeol to come but he had to work and shook his head. “I can’t, I have to work.”

SungYeol stopped walking and MyungSoo walked further until he realized SungYeol wasn’t following him and he turned around. “What?” He asked when he saw SungYeol staring with mouth wide open to him.

“You work?” SungYeol asked amazed. MyungSoo nodded and gestured him to move on and the other complied. “I have to, otherwise I can’t afford my apartment and all the bills.” He clarified SungYeol who nodded but was still amazed. The more he started to know MyungSoo, the more questions he had.

SungYeol ran home where his mother was waiting, firing questions to him how MyungSoo’s parents were and all that, SungYeol just answered shortly, not telling his mother MyungSoo was living alone because then she would worry about MyungSoo and maybe check up on him and he didn’t want a friend of his to meet his oh so nice mother who would even give a beggar all her money if she could help a person, sometimes his mother embarrassed him but he still loved her the most in the whole world, he was a mommy’s boy what did you expect?

His mother made dinner and after dinner  SungYeol went up to his room, making homework he had to do while wondering what kind of job MyungSoo had.