Vocal Coach Substitute

Managing You & Me

 

 
"Lah lah lah laaahh lah lah lah lahh"
I sang up the scale, warming my voice up. 
 
"Today, Jinyoung has a busy schedule so I got you the best vocal coach I could find. She's not an idol, yet I find talent in her. She won't audition though. She has stage fright." 
The conversation with boss today replayed in my head. 
 
"How old is she?" I had asked.
"Probably the same age as you. For such a young age, it's very impressive- you two." He answered. 
 
So I'm waiting for whomever "she" can be. I'm excited to meet a new friend- it's been so lonely without a BFF to talk to... 
 
Well, guys don't count. 
 
"Sorry I'm late!" 
I heard a voice, fumbling and rushing in to the recording studio.
 
"Ah- it's okay!" I said, flashing a welcoming smile. 
She looks a bit familiar- 
 
After regaining her balance and posture, she held out a hand in my direction. 
"Hi! I'm Cha Nahye! I'm your new vocal coach!"
 
Zico and Yongguk oppa all over again. Minus the hatred. 
Damn. What a small fu*cking world. 
 
Boss decided to fill in the absence of my vocal coach with the vocal coach's girlfriend. 
How nice.  
 
My dumbfound self accepted her hand, shaking it as a formal introduction. 
 
"Hi! I'm Baek Ahn ah, your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend!" 
I THOUGHT , deciding to shut up for the good of cheesecakes (what the heck).
 
"Hey! I'm Baek Ahn ah, your "student" and friend!" I introduced myself, trying my best to be 100% welcoming. 
 
There was a prick in my heart, screaming in my ear "I'M YOUR BOYFRIEND'S EX!!"
It took all my willpower to shut myself up.
 
"So I've heard~ you used to manage the B1A4 oppas right? Haha believe it or not, I'm Baro's little sister!" She gleefully squealed, pride gleaming in her eyes. 
 
I laughed a bit sheepishly, trying not to sound fake. 
"Oh really? Now I know why you are so familiar!" I exclaimed, being about 75% honest. 
 
I guess it's just jealous me acting up- she was so... Adorable. Ugh.
She had a hair bang at the perfect length, her hair dyed light brown.
Her tiny figure suited skirt and heels she was wearing, her simple blouse-print shirt making her look effortlessly pretty. 
 
On the other hand, my hair was shoved up into a messy bun, my body was adorned with an oversized sweatshirt, and my skinny jeans only added on to my look that screamed : "I'M SUPER UNATTRACTIVE!" 
 
Eeeww. I'm ashamed. 
What does Daehyun oppa see in me?
 
"Since we're the same age, I'll speak informally!" Nahye stated, breaking the awkward formal tension in the room. 
 
I nodded enthusiastically, liking how we were trying to destroy the awkard mind-distance between us.
She just didn't know I was building an invisible wall myself, making sure I wouldn't explode out of it.
 Ex-boyfriend's pretty girlfriend. 
Yes, the invisible wall necessary for this friendship to happen. 
 
"I overheard you singing- I'm pretty sure you don't need a vocal coach" she praised, making my shyness timidly surface. 
 
"Yah~ you're already eavesdropping on me?" I whined, bringing the friendliness to a more comfortable level. 
 
We giggled through the whole "vocal session", talking and getting to know each other more and more. 
Heck- voice training can wait
 
Yet not close enough for me to spill out all the truth. 
I managed to keep my mouth shut, but I'm scared that I can barely managed to. 
Barely.
 
So! Here's what I learned: 
Cha Na Hye
Same age as me, 1994
Girly girl
Loves ballad and soft music (which are Jinyoung's interests)
Loves shopping 
A major BANA, Angel, Inspirit and Baby. 
 
The last part will surely come as a pleasant surprise. 
Well- except I don't really know Infinite. Maybe later. 
 
Her ultimate bias is Himchan, which made me chuckle, for she didn't say Jinyoung .
Hahahahahaha I know it all too well. 
 
"Oh- I guess Himchan umma- I mean - oppa can pay us a visit" 
I said, catching myself from adressing Himchan oppa as an umma. You really can't help it though. 
 
"What?! No! I look awful tod-"
She was cut off from the dagger-embedded glare I was shooting at her. 
 
Here I am with drabs of clothing and she dared to say SHE looks drabby. 
Oh my freaking cheesecakes. 
 
I flip out my phone and dial : Himchan oppa
 
The dials rung, only for about 3 seconds. 
 
"YES AHN AH?" 
He answered, voiced filled with excitement. 
 
"Hi... Wh-why are you so excited oppa?" I asked, worried about what might be happening. 
Did he finally over-drink his coffee? What? 
 
"You never call me , Ahn ah!" He responded, gaining a chuckle from me and Nahye. 
I put my phone on speaker mode.
 
Nahye squealed of adoration and I rolled my eyes. The symptoms of fangirling over an idol star can be deadly to another idol's girlfriend. 
 
This is a bit confusing- 
Idol's girlfriend who likes another idol who is just another idol.
Eh. 
We'll catch up.
 
"Okay oppa, can you pay a visit to the recording room? Just drop by? It doesn't matter, but it would be preferred if you came alone. Don't you dare take this the wrong way!" I said, already knowing that dear Himchan umma is taking it the wrong way. 
 
Na hye busted out laughing as Himchan oppa replied, "OH MY GOODNESS AHN AH WANTS ME ALONE".
 
Grinding my teeth, trying to keep in my hopelessly short temper, I could control myself to let out an answer.
"Just- just drop by the recording studio. Kay?" 
I growled, keeping myself from exploding. 
 
"But- what about Dae-"
 
Startled, I hung up, hoping that Na hye didn't catch the last part. 
Even at the tiniest moments, it's vital and dangerous. 
 
I don't blame Himchan oppa, for he didn't know I was with someone else and that my phone was on speaker. 
Mentioning the D in Daehyun throws me into panic mode.
But that was close- 
 
Shaking off the sudden fear, I turn to Nahye with a smile. 
"I guess your BABY wish will come true"
 
Her eyes were widened in disbelief. 
"OH MY GOD. Kim Himchan is coming?! OH MY LORD" 
She panicked, crazy excitement shaking her voice. 
 
So we talked our BABY talks, mostly me making Nahye jealous that I get to be with them all the time. She said it wasn't fair, for I was surrounded by B1A4 oppas once. Kekeke
 
Speaking of B1A4, a question triggered my voice, asking itself. 
"Does Jinyoung know you were the one filling in?" 
I blurted, having forgotten that I'm not suppose to know about their relationship. 
 
She flinched, surprised at my direct question. Her brows arched up and suspicion washed over her emotions. 
 
"..wh..What do you mean Jinyoung oppa?" She asked. 
 
If she was trying to keep a secret realtionship, she'll definitely fail. She's so obvious. Haha I know it all to well-
 
"I was just saying 'cuz he's my regular vocal coach and you're Baro oppa's little sister" I reasoned, sounding so innocent and guilt-free that I almost fooled myself. 
Heck- I can fool myself with almost anything nowdays.
Or I'm just plain stupid like Zico tells me. 
 
Anyways-
 
Nahye's mouth formed a smile of relief that her "cover" wasn't blown. She's still so obvious. 
She was blushing and all that crap. 
Geez- even a blind rat can see that Jinyoung and Nahye have chemistry going on. 
 
I just rolled my eyes and laughed, for I'm in a similar state as her. 
We have a lot of things in common. 
It's as if I've known her forever. 
Her personality contrasted mine almost too perfectly, our friendship binding in no time. 
 
"I'm here Ahn-"
Himchan oppa came in, announcing his enterance in a sing-song voice. 
His sentence was cut by Nahye's squirrel-sized eyes, gleaming as if she couldn't believe that God is standing in front of her. 
 
I just chuckled and introduced them, for they were both stricken with surprise.
"Cha Nahye, meet Kim Himchan oppa. Oppa, meet Cha Nahye. She's the little sister of B1A4's Baro and she's a BABY." 
I informed, trying to hold in a round of laughter. 
Nahye's eyes were getting bigger by the second. 
 
Himchan oppa had a hint of fear in  his expression, his glances darting between the two girls in front of him. 
 
"KIMHIMCH..ch..An?!"
Nahye bursted and ran to Himchan oppa and knocked him down, reminding me never to underestimate the power of Babyz. 
 
I let go too, and laughed my off. Oh my lord. This is such a funny sight. I can't breathe- can't bre-ath-e
 
"HELPPP!!" 
Himchan oppa pleaded as Nahye squeezed the living soul out of the B.A.P member. 
 
I clamped my lips shut before I could say "Nahye you have a boyfriend" 
 
Finally being able to gather myself from all the laughing, I wiped a tear of humor from my still-smiling eye. 
 
Slapping Nahye on the back playfully, she let go of Himchan oppa. 
 
"Ahyah(Ouch)! Ahn ah!! I was having my moment!" She whined, hating the seperation from Himchan.
 
Now I really did feel like blurting out that she had a boyfriend. 
But expecting her to know her limits and trusting Baro oppa in raising her with decent standards, I kept my mouth shut.
 
"Ahn ah~ I thought it was going to be you and me~" Himchan oppa pouted, making me feel a bit guilty. This poor oppa is purely innocent. 
 
While Nahye was spacing out , she suddenly started checking her phone.
I whispered to Himchan oppa , "Now, why in the name of Daehyun would I purposely be alone with you?~" 
I smirked, earning a reflection of it on Himchan oppa. 
 
"Hey guys- as much as I love you , I have to go" Nahye announced, slinging her crossbody bag around her slim figure, preparing to go. 
 
I smiled and held out a fist for her to bump. She gladly did, giggling the perfectly contrasting laugh to mine. 
BFFs already. 
I'll break the news to her about me and Jinyoung oppa's past sometime, but not today-
 
She flashed a bright smile at Himchan oppa, controlling herself not to go crazy and hug him again. 
 
He was officially scared of her.
 
With the last wave of goodbye, Nahye left, the door silently closing behind her. 
 
Breathing in, I rubbed my hands together. 
"Now! Why in the name of Daehyun are we alone together?" I joked, earning a sarcastic "hurt" expression from him. 
 
"Awh- Ahn ah! No need to make me feel so unimportant!" He whined, sarcasm flowing through his tone.
 
I gave him a light punch in the arm, causing him to take my arm in his. I responded with a smile, knowing that he's planning something up his sleeves by now.
 
"Okay! I gotta get back to B.A.P schedules! I snuck in here secretely to see you~ I didn't even tell Daehyun!" He stated, earning another light punch to his arm. 
 
"Have fun!" I waved, catching the last glimpse of Himchan oppa's waving hand, disappearing through the corners of the room window. 
 
*Ding!* 
A text. 
I flip out my phone, only to realize that I'm rubbing my eyes in disbelief. 
Is this real-? 
I unlock my phone screen and realize I'm not dreaming as the actual text was written on the inbox. 
 
From: Baro Squirrel Princess
Let's go catch lunch together!
 
To: Baro Squirrel Princess
Sure! Where? 
 
Sent. Read.
 
From : Baro Squirrel Princess
Where we used to go , ex-manager! 
 
A smile crept up at his reply. 
Where we used to go- 
 
Another day of another story, being rewritten and retold. 
 
--------------------------------------
 
"Ahn ah! Over here!" 
The familiar voice perk my ears up.
 
With a smile, I turn around to see one of my favorite oppas of all time. Cha Sunwoo, A.K.A Baro of B1A4. 
 
When will I ever get to know a non-popular, just plain ole regular person? 
I just know that the answer to that "interesting" question is : not anytime soon. 
 
I was super surprised to see Baro oppa not wearing a single disguise. It was refreshing to meet up with an idol with the full idol self. 
 
Unlike Daehyun oppa and me, for we have to try our best to be unnoticable.
 
"You look extra pretty today" Baro oppa complimented, earning a shy smile from me. 
 
Truth be told, I was already influenced by his little sister. Today, she looked like she didn't care what she put on but still looked amazing. I tried to pull the same trick off and it ended up pretty decent.
 
I was kind of getting tired of covering myself with layers of oversized shirts and hoodies. 
 
So I'll tell you guys what I'm wearing (since the stupid author is too freaking lazy to copy and paste a image adress) :
A light brown coffee colored jacket with pockets and zippers just naturally there, a simple white shirt with a sketch of a watercolor lemon yellow feather, 
and my all-time favorite baby pink pastel skinny jeans with my brown leather heeled combat boots. 
 
I always went for the carefree style, for girly isn't my thing.
Remeber me in highschool? Leather? Buckles, zippers, and "thorns"? Yeah. 
I don't do girly. 
 
But I love my baby pink pastel skinny jeans. They remind me that I'm a girl that should have manners. Pshh- 
It's almost like a portable Himchan umma. Hehe
 
"You look awesome as ever too oppa." I commented on his style, liking the whole "clean and simple" look. 
 
He had a simple white fitted blazer, just a sky-blue shirt, simple jeans, handsome gentleman shoes, and topped with a light-blue and white fedora. 
It went well with his blonde wind-whipped hair.
 
I took a seat in front of him and shyly looked up. He was still staring at me. Aish.
 
"When did you suddenly grow up?" He asked, seriousness in his tone. 
 
"What the heck? What do you mean grown up? It's only been like, three months since I resigned from WM." I explained.
 
"No.. You look more.. Ladylike? Mature? It's something that suits you better, but the cute and bubbly Ahn ah is replaced with it.
The kid side of you disappeared" He sincerely replied, the thoughts of everyone who has seen Ahn ah recently had been an agreement to his comment. 
 
I thought inside my mind , savoring the true fact. "Maybe it's because I have to be mature to date Daehyun oppa secretly." 
 
But quickly snapping myself out of it, I asked, "So why did you want to eat lunch together?" 
 
"About Nahye"
He cooly admitted the reason. 
 
"Surprisingly, I really like her. She takes after you and has the heart of Jinyoung oppa.." I tried to hold in a shudder of tears when saying "has the heart of Jinyoung oppa". 
 
It's true , afterall, but I can't help feeling sad, jealous, and lonely. 
I won't see Daehyun oppa for another week, and it's driving me crazy. 
 
"It went better than I thought it would! I was expecting to see Nahye all scratched up and bruised! Now what could have stopped Ahn ah from doing THAT?" Baro oppa hit the target. 
It was as if he knew that I'm in a relationsh-  
No. It's impossible. 
Like heck no.
 
"I guess I like Nahye better than my old feelings?" I tried, making up an excuse that miserably failed.
 
"Yah. Baek Ahn ah. Be honest to your oppa"
He stated, triggering that short temper from me.
 
"Cha Sunwoo oppa, be honest to your dongsaeng." I retorted, the unfairness of this situation forming a pout on my lips. 
 
A waitress came with our bubble teas and steaming hot paninis (when did we order? Lol) 
and I sipped on it angrily. 
 
Baro oppa let out a sigh in defeat. 
"Okay~ I'll be honest. Jinyoung told me that the last time he saw you, like I said, you've changed a bit. We didn't consider anything much until Nahye told me today that you had a ring on." He said, taking a bite out of the sandwich.
 
I tried to defend myself in midst of all the confusion. How could Jinyoung oppa possibly know anymore? When did Nahye catch that detail? I swear these people around me are ninjas. 
 
"S..So? I'm about to debut and that's enough to change a person and what if I like this ring? It's just an accessory-" I lied, fidgeting with my side-potato chips and trying to avoid Baro oppa's pleading eyes, pushing my guilt to spill the truth.
 
"I'd believe you if I didn't know you" Baro oppa said, placing his hand on mine. 
 
My hand flinched, indicating that I have told a lie. 
Since when did my hand flinch? I didn't even know I did that.. 
 
"Ha! It works! Jinyoung told me this tri-" Baro oppa stopped mid-chew, cut off by the look of bewilderment and confusion. 
 
"Since when did I do that? How does Jinyoung oppa know?" I blurted, the questions repeating in my head.
 
"-he never told you? You didn't know that about yourself?" Baro oppa asked, his worried tone weaving in and out of his beef - filled mouth
 
"...no.. Tell me what?" I asked, innocent of any lies. I sipped on my bubble tea, the cold sensation ringing through my mouth and emotions.
 
"Ever since you left for America, you flinch when you lie. At least that's what Jinyoung told me." Baro oppa explained, chomping another bit of his panini.
 
America.... After the car accident..? What happend after the car accident..? I just know that I woke up in a hospital...
 
Oh please don't tell me.
Am I missing ANOTHER chunk of memories? Ugh. I officially hate the very bits of fate. 
 
My thoughts rambled together, preparing itself to find another fact about my life. 
I didn't realize I had a potato chip in my hand, now crumbled into bits of potato-dust.
 
"Jinyoung oppa never told me though-" I carried on, reminding myself that I have to change the subject matter from revealing Daehyun oppa and my status. 
In front of Baro oppa, anything can be accidentally said. 
 
"So what happend with Meeju?" I asked, completely turning around the subject of the conversation. 
 
"Jinyoung turned the tables. He now has evidence to blackmail her. She won't be around for a long time." He chuckled, thinking about the "evidence".
 
I just nodded, glad that the witch was off their backs. 
"So you guys are doing well? I wish you had a spring comeback-" The BANA side of me talked, pleading for a hopeful answer.
 
"It's a surprise" Baro oppa teased, hyping my Bana blood.
 
Aish this squirrel princess.
 
"Ahn ah. Please swear a promise." The sudden seriousness of Sunwoo (yes, Baro) oppa's voice waking me up from a mini trance. 
 
I just nodded, oblivious of the promise's contents. 
 
"Please promise you'll visit us. Sandeul has been missing you and Gongchan's not himself anymore.. Um.. We thought he would get over it but he isn't the cute Crong anymore.. It's as if his heart was actually punched out."
Baro muttered, his actual reason of the lunch.
 
Now I felt like somebody should slap me. Ugh. 
Poor oppa. I doubt it's because of me but if it is, well, I'm flattered but I just HATE it when Gongchan oppa's all sad and feeling drabby. 
 
I nodded once again, determination setting a destination in my mind. 
 
I decided to eat, for I didn't realize how hungry I've been for the past days. 
 
.... Chicken chipotle panini..?
 
"Jinyoung oppa?" I questioned to Baro oppa, pointing at my sandwich. 
 
He nodded, sending another ripple  of amazement through me. 
I never realized how much he knew about me. 
I always thought I was the one who memorized all his favorite little things, but I'm proven wrong.
 
I took a delicate bite out of the awaiting panini and savored every millimeter of it. This is the junk! 
Awh I love this so freaking much.
 
I feel like I haven't eaten in decades. But looking down at my pink pants, Himchan oppa's voice rung in my head "Ahn ah! Use your manners!" 
 
I unconciously groaned, 
"Yes umma." 
 
"What?" Baro oppa asked, a quizzical eyebrow arched up. 
 
"Nothing.. Just nothing" I mumbled, my insides laughing at how my live is so wrapped around in a tight blanket called "idol oppas".
 
As I finished my sandwich, Baro oppa had been waiting for me to get finished. 
 
"Let's go!" He exclaimed, excitement obviously visible on his face.
 
".. Where?" My worried voice feared for the worst.
 
"You have to fulfill your promise now Baek Ahn ah!" He explained, getting up and whisking my hand away in his. 
 
".. But I have to pay-" 
I whined, the sudden turn of events scaring me. 
 I'm not ready to see the oppas.
 
"I already did! Come on!" 
He tugged me along, his strong force leading me out of the restaurant. 
 
************ Your Story****************
 
Nobody knew that in midst of the peaceful restaurant that destiny decided to play its games. 
 
A mysterious guy in the corner of the restaurant saw it all, taking pictures of the oblivious "couple", or so what it ovbiously seemed like.
 
It could be his over-protective fatherly personality acting up, but Bang Yongguk wasn't going to let this confusion slide by.
 
He watched them until Ahn ah and the guy disappeared through the door and out into the streets of Seoul, and proceeded to the big question. 
 
Who's the guy, where are they going, and why Ahn ah seemed scared. 
 
Well, make that big questionS.
 
--------------------------------------
 
"I only met her for like, an hour but it felt like I knew her forever. She's good at acting but she's helplessly transparent... And I could tell she's hiding something.. Of all people, it would be you that would have seen this too .. Right?" 
Nahye reasoned for all the right facts. She didn't want him to feel so empty. That's why she's encouraging him to step up and gain some confidence. 
 
In front of her was a slumped guy, tired from today's work but too focused on the matter of this conversation. 
 
"As long as she's happy.. What's the matter?" He mumbled, lying to his feelings that he's a bit sad. 
Sad that Ahn ah's keeping a secret from him.
 
He had no rights over her. 
He had no need to react to her whereabouts. 
But he didn't stop feeling a bit jealous. 
What is this feeling? 
 
Nahye's hands flew to his cheeks, caressing away his worries. 
 
"It would be terrible if it was who you think she's with... They are so near each other that the thought brings me the creeps" Nahye whispered, chewing nervously on her lower lip. 
 
She looked at his sad face again, the pain in her lover bringing the reflection of his heart to her. 
Her heart cried with him, knowing that the seriousness of this matter was beyond the feeling she had that he still loved the other girl.
 
He left Ahn ah for the best, hoping she'll learn to stand on her own feet and move on without him, but she can't help feeling that his heart doesn't belong to her. 
 
".. Jinyoung oppa.." She groaned, his pain sending sadness to her emotions. 
 
"I'm hoping they aren't together Nahye, but all guys have gut instincts" Jinyoung laughed bitterly, still savoring the fact that Ahn ah now wears a different ring, 
 
Probably a matching one,
Possibly to the person he feared the worst.
 
"Everything's going to be alright. I'll make sure that she's away from  him as long as I'm with her. Kay?" 
She consoled, lifting away the heaviness in the couple's hearts, just like she always does.
 
"I love you Nahye" Jinyoung whispered, as if convincing himself of what he just had said. 
 
The loving couple did not know that what they feared the most had already come true. 
 
Baek Ahn ah is thrown into the fires of danger again, 
 
But this time, nobody realized that the fire would consume her slowly and painfully.
 
 
 
-----------------------------------
Author's Note- HEEEREEE WE GO AGAIN!!!! Uuuuggggghhhhhh
I swear that I will go stab myself if I have to write another flipping chapter of flashbacks. 
 
No. It's just not happening-
No.
 
I hate the confusing flashbacks as much as you do. Because sometimes, it just doesn't make any sense.. Hahah.. 
 
But it explains the whole point of Ahn ah's life so it's madatory. 
I'll try to throw in something funny here and there. T.T 
 
Did I mention how much I love you guys for always being there and staying with me through thick and thin? (mmmhmmm *dirty face*) 
 
^ oops. That just slipped out hah..
Awkwaarrrdd
 
Anyways. 
Keep the comments coming ( I think you know who I'm talking about .. frostysnowpr- AHEM) and like always, 
<3 <3 <3 <3 I less than three you all so much... NIGAHIGA REFERENCE!! Ahaha 
 
HAPPY READINNGGGG!!