Chapter Thirty Eight

Dangerous Waves

'You are very ill young man, but don't worry, a few of these sessions will set things straight.' The doctor said to Donghae, causing relief to his parents. Hae didn't even respond.

'Since you aren't a minor, I need your permission to start though.' The doctor continued, shoving a consent form under Hae's nose. His father nudge him to sign.

Hae finally moved. He lifted his head. 'What are the risks?'

'Donghae, just sign.' His dad snarled.

'I want to know the risks.'

'Well, it will cause pain, of course.' The doctor said hesitantly.

'Anything long term?' Hae inquired.

The doctor shifted on his seat. 'In some very rare cases there was some damage.'

'What kind of damage?'

'Lee Donghae just sign the damn form.' His father yelled at him but Hae didn't even wince, he kept looking at the doctor.

'Brain damage.' The doctor mumbled.

'Causing what? Worst case scenario?' Donghae pushed through.

'There was one young man that went into a coma and died.' The doctor admitted. 'But we have improved the procedure.'

Hae turned to his parents. 'You knew this?'

His mum looked down at her hands, Hae knew enough.

'You'd risk your own son dying or being damaged just so he fits your needs?' Hae whispered.

'You are ill, sweety.' His mum finally said.

Hae sighed.

'I can still alert the media, Donghae.' His dad threatened.

Hae picked up the pen. 'If I sign this, you have to promise me to leave Hyuk alone.'

His dad nodded.

Hae signed.

 

Hae was waiting on his hospital bed, when he opened a bag Hyuk had prepared for him. He took everything out one by one and started tearing up. When he got to the DVD player and found the note on his favourite movie, he fell apart. Loud sobs left him exhausted and in pain. He felt completely torn apart. When he heard footsteps, he quickly wiped the tears away and acted asleep.

'Nurse, please start administering the electrodes.' Hae recognised the doctor's voice.

'His parents left?' The nurse inquired.

'Yeah, I have to call them with the results.'

'That's kind of cold.'

'Well, you have to understand, they had to persuade him for years, they are desperate. They just want a healthy son.'

'How many sessions is he allowed to have?' The nurse asked.

'Well we've checked his heart and it's strong, we have the permission to keep in going until he's cured.'

Hae felt all emotion leaving him as they manhandled his body. He was being strapped down and electrodes were applied all over his body.

'Mr. Lee?' The doctor said. After a few seconds he repeated it again.

Hae opened his eyes, realising the doctor meant him. 'Hmmm?'

'We are about to start the procedure.'

'Ok.'

Pain. Every nerve ending in his body exploded. Overflooding with pain. His body jerked up and he screamed his lungs out while the doctor calmly counted to 15. Those were the longest seconds in Donghae's life. He had read that this kind of treatment could cause memory loss so he forced himself to keep thinking about Hyukjae, not wanting the only thing he had left of the love of his life...the memories. Tears streamed down his face by the time the doctor ended the shock. His vital signs were noted down and he was left alone.

Hae smiled like a crazy person, a clear vision of Hyuk still behind his eyelids. Then he finally passed out.

 

 

'I've questioned the teacher and he gave up the name of the university, I've called them. No Lee Donghae is known to them.' Minho reported to Hyuk. With the help of Su and Top we are currently contacting every hospital in the country to find out where they administer shock treatment to gay people. We have a small list of public and private practices and we are checking them out as we speak.

'Can't you just ask if Hae is a patient there?' Wook asked.

'Nope, that goes against privacy issues.' Minho sighed.

'I'll try to contact his parents again.' Wook said and went to the next room.

Kangin eyed the silent Hyuk. He dropped himself next to him and wrapped an arm around his shoulder. 'Don't beat yourself up.' He whispered.

Hyuk looked up.

'It's not your fault.' Kangin continued.

Hyuk bit his lip. 'I'm going insane. I'm so worried. What if....'

'Shhhh. We'll find him.'

'If he is with his parents, I just don't get why he agreed.' Hyuk said.

'Knowing Hae...they've threatened him with something big. No way he would just leave us and especially you over nothing.' Kangin said softly.

'It's been a week though. God knows what they have done to him already.' Hyuk breathed. 'And I feel utterly useless. I hate to just sit here and wait for information. I have all the money in the world, why is it taking so long?!'

'Because Hae's parents prepared this well and they are filthy rich as well. It's why Minho is putting so many of his men on the case, risking his own job.' Kangin said calmly.

 

'How's the patient?' The doctor inquired.

'Since yesterday he goes in and out of consciousness. We had to put him on an IV to feed him. He only utters one word but we don't know why.'

The doctor frowned. 'It's not the name of his lover is it?' He checked his file. 'Lee Hyukjae?'

'No, doctor.'

'Then what's the word?'

'Monkey.'