Chapter Seventeen

Dangerous Waves

Jin grabbed Hae's hand and took him out of the cafe. His thumb gently the lifeguard's hand to sooth him. It was clear that the boy was upset. They were walking through the last exposition room when Hae suddenly stood still. Jin turned around, his expression inquiring. Hae's eyes were transfixed on a painting. He slowly pulled his hand out of Jin's and walked up to it. You could see two shadows on it, incased in what appeared to be flames. One had his back to the other while the latter had his hand stretched out to the first. It took Hae's breath away. The raw passion and intensity hit him full on. If you paid close attention you could actually see that the outstretched hand was already giving up, was already starting to retreat. It radiated so much despair.

'Donghae?' Jin said for the fifth time. The boy looked completely captivated by the painting. Jin gently tapped the younger's shoulder, effectively startling Donghae.

'Oh, I'm sorry, let's go.' Hae mumbled.

 

'You seriously need to get your act together.' Junsu scolded his best friend.

'I can't help it, I just lose it completely whenever I'm near him.' Hyuk mumbled.

'Why don't you just confess.' Minho rolled his eyes.

'Confess? What? I already admitted I hit him with my car.' Hyuk frowned.

His two best friends just stared at him.

'What?' Hyuk asked.

'Min, hold me back before I beat the crap out of him.' Junsu said.

 

Jin walked Hae to the door of his apartment.

Don't let him touch you. Hyuk's hoarse voice resonated within Hae's head. He unconsciously pulled his hand back once again.

'I'm sorry that guy ruined your day.' Jin said hesitantly.

'Th-that's not your fault, I'm sorry I let him.' Hae smiled weakly.

Jin tilted Hae's head and their eyes met.

Don't let him kiss you.

Hae quickly took a step back. Jin dropped his hand.

'I really would love another date with you.' Jin said softly. 'I really like you, Donghae. My intentions are pure.'

Hae started blushing. 'You are a very nice guy, Jin.'

'But?'

'As you can see, I'm not fit to date anyone.' Hae said bitterly.

Jin suddenly hugged the boy. 'I can make you forget all about him.' He whispered.

Don't let him be your first.

Hae froze again and Jin quickly let go. He grabbed something out of his pocket and handed it over. 'My phone number. Call me whenever you want to.'

 

Hae lied on his bed. A shower had calmed him down a bit but he still felt restless. The events of the day haunted him. Suddenly the door bell rang. He got up and opened it.

'Delivery for a mister Lee Donghae.' The man said.

'I'm him.'

'Sign here.'

Hae signed and received his package, he thanked the guy and closed the door. He took the gift to his kitchen table. He frowned. No sender's name. He opened it and breathed in sharply. Very carefully he continued to unwrap it. There in between his two hands was the painting he had been staring at. Hae placed it on the table and searched for a note, some kind of explanation but found nothing. He went to his bedroom, got Jin's card and dialed the number.

'Choi Jinhyuk speaking.'

'Donghae here.'

'I'm glad you called.' Jin sounded happy.

'D-did you just send me something?'

'You already got my flowers? Wow they work fast.' Jin said.

Hae heard his door bell ring again. He blinked. 'Thanks Jin, I need to go, there is someone at the door.'

He ran to open it and there were his flowers. Jin had send him flowers then who...Minsu's paintings were worth a fortune and to know that this was the one that affected him the most? Hae didn't understand. He called the exposition and was surprised with what he heard there. Apparently he had been the one millionth visitor and this was his prize. It still felt surreal but he thanked them elaborately before he hung up and went back to his kitchen to stare at it.

 

 

The next day everything was calm at the beach. Kangin and Wook took him out for dinner and then they went to their usual club.

'You won a painting?' Kangin smiled brightly as he hugged his friend.

'Yeah, isn't that weird?' Hae said sheepishly.

'Sell it and buy a decent place.' Wook suggested.

'Never!' Hae said. 'I'll get our drinks'. He got up and made his way to the bar. He was startled as he noticed a familiar figure leaning against it. He breathed in. 'Good evening.' He said as he placed himself next to the man.

Hyuk's head snapped up and his eyes traveled all over Donghae's face. 'Evening.'

Hae ordered. He felt uncomfortable standing so close to the surfer.

'Are you here with him?' Hyuk suddenly asked.

'N-no, just Kangin and Wook.'

'Hmmm.' Hyuk's fist relaxed a little.

'Bye.' Hae said as he paid for the drinks and quickly left.

 

He was tossing and turning. Hae couldn't fall asleep. He kept being haunted by Hyuk. Every time he closed his eyes he saw something that reminded him of the surfer. He sighed in desperation. Why couldn't he let go of that guy? He still felt the rejection. Unexperienced, boring. What if Jin would think that too? Hae bit his lip. Did he want to give Jin a shot? The guy was nice. While Hyuk was.... Why the hell am I even comparing? Hae let out a frustrated groan. Then the idea hit him. He started breathing faster. He turned his head. Only 9.30pm. He jumped up and got dressed.

 

'What are you doing here?' Hyukjae frowned.

Hae walked passed the surfer and entered.

Hyuk closed the door and turned around. His breath hitched.

Donghae was slowly ing his shirt.

'W-what are you doing?' Hyuk questioned.

Hae kept the eye contact. 'Sleep with me.'