Chapter Thirty Six

Dangerous Waves

After leaving their confused friends behind, Hyuk kept silent in the car. The tension was tangible but something told him to wait for Hae to speak up. Hae was just staring through the window, his mind far away.

Once home, Hyuk could barely close the door before Hae pushed himself against him. Hae's hands grabbed Hyuk's hair and tugged it softly while their mouths met. The kiss was too much. It had too much feelings, too much passion, need and desperation, it worried Hyuk's heart. He responded by deeply kissing his love back and then gently pulled away.

'Hae?'

'We need to talk.' Hae said, while he went to the kitchen and brought back some beer.

Hyuk knew this was going to be bad. He grabbed the offered beer, opened it and took a large sip. 'Spill it.'

'Teacher wants me to go to another university.'

'Yes?'

'It would offer the best education and future job.' Tears were welling up in Hae's eyes.

'Hae, what's wrong?' Hyuk tried to get near his boyfriend but Hae shook his head.

'I really want to go there.'

'I'm not stopping you, baby. I want what is best for you!' Hyuk smiled softly.

'Y-you don't u-understand.' His voice was breaking apart.

Hyuk bit his lip. He couldn't handle this anxiety. He forced Hae into a hug and the boy started sobbing as soon as they embraced. 'Explain it to me.' Hyuk whispered.

'T-that university is very strict. I would have to stay in a dorm and am barely allowed any contact.' Hae lied while he felt his heart break.

Hyuk swallowed. 'How long?'

That just made Hae cry harder. His fingers were digging into Hyuk's back, clinging on to the man he loved so dearly.

'How long, baby?' Hyuk repeated.

'Five years.' Hae breathed barely audible against Hyuk's neck.

Hyuk couldn't speak.

Hae forced himself to continue. He had to put Hyuk first, no matter what, the damage done to his boyfriend should be limited as much as possible. 'Hyuk, I think it's better if we break up. I don't want us apart for five years, yearning for each other. I don't....'

Hyuk just silenced him with a kiss. 'Of course I'll wait for you. I hate the idea but if this is what is best for you, you have my full support but I'll wait for you.'

Hae could barely bear the pain. 'Hyukkie...I don't want you to wait.'

Hyuk cupped Hae's face. 'What? Why not?'

'I don't want us to be roped up to one another like that. What if you meet someone? You would only feel guilty.'

'No one is better than you.' Hyuk said stubbornly.

'What if I meet someone. It's college after all.' Hae choked out.

Hyuk remained silent. His eyes seemed empty.

'Hyukkie?'

'You want freedom?' Hyuk whispered.

Hae turned away and closed his eyes. The hurt on Hyuk's face was just too much to watch.

Hyuk went into denial. 'You know what, we still have two weeks, let's just work this out slowly, ok?' He chirped.

Hae shook his head.

'What?'

'I need to be there tomorrow.'

A loud crashing noise made Hae turn around. His eyes widenened as he saw Hyuk's fist all bloody and pieces of the mirror shattered on the floor.

'Hyuk! Your hand!' Hae screamed as he quickly ran to get the first aid kit.

'Who ing cares about my hand!' Hyuk screamed, finally losing it. He kicked against a chair.

'Hyukkie please...'

'NO! You hear me? I will support everything you want. I'll let you grow for five ing years without much chance of seeing you, I want what is best for you. But don't you dare ask me to move on!' The chair was reduced to a pile of wood.

Hae just fell to his knees. He could only helplessly stare at Hyuk's temper tantrum. He forced himself to watch what he had caused; Hyuk's breakdown.

After what seemed hours Hyuk collapsed next to Hae on the ground. After the anger, the tears finally appeared. They kept on dripping from his eyelashes. He grabbed Hae by the shoulders. 'Do what you want.' Hyuk said weakly. 'I-if you n-need to see...' He bit his lip. '...if you need to see other people. Do it. Just promise me, after those five years. You'll at least allow me to be your friend.'

Oh how much Hae loved this man. Even while Hyuk was enduring hell, he would only put Hae first. Hae was so tempted to tell Hyuk the truth. To cling on to him and beg him to help him out with his parents. But Hyuk treasured the mystery of Minsu. It was his freedom. Hae understood that and he'd rather die than take that freedom away from him.

'Ok.' Hae mumbled, gently taking Hyuk's hand. He started to removed the bits of glass as Hyuk kept crying. 'Ok.' He repeated. He cleansed the wound and bandaged it. As he put everything away, Hyuk grabbed his hand and lead him to the bedroom. Hae froze. No way he could survive a love making session right now. He would completely fall apart. Hyuk seemed to sense his distress.

'I just want to lie beside you, ok?' Hyuk whispered. 'I just want to spend the coming hours next to you. Holding you. Just sleep. I'll wake you up early enough so we could pack the things you need.'

Hae's eyes were welling up again.

'Don't cry, Hae. I think I understand. You just don't want us to hurt too much. But you'll see, those years will fly by and then I can see you again.' Hyuk said. 'And if you meet someone else, I will just have to knock you off your feet again and claim you as mine.' His smile was weak. 'But know this, after those five years, there is no way I will let anyone or anything make us part ever again.'

Hae couldn't speak. He just kissed those lips. The lips that make his heart flutter.

'Just sleep, baby. I'll watch over you.' Hyuk whispered, sensing the boy was at his end.

'I love you.' Hae mumbled.

Hyuk inhaled. 'I love you too.' He watched his love surrender and fall asleep. He watched him for hours, etching every detail once again in his head. It would have to last for five years. But Hyuk's heart could deal with five years. If it only meant that one day, the precious boy within his embrace, would be his forever.