The Return of Two

That Girl, Which Boy?

 

When morning came, Chanyeol and Xiumin made the announcement that they wouldn't be going to work that night as it was going to be Suho's first day back and Huiling was arriving too.

'Who's going to pick Huiling up from the airport?' Kai asked

Everyone looked at Lay.

'Well she wants me to pick her up... But I don't really want to miss hyung's arrival'

'Then don't pick her up' said Luhan who you playfully hit, telling him not to be harsh on her.

'But I'll feel guilty'

'When does she arrive?'

'3PM'

'That's plenty of time before ssaem drops Suho back here' said Xiumin, 'you can easily make it back'

'I'll come with you, if you want?' Kris suggested, 'the journey to Incheon is rather long so you might want some company?'

'Yeah, that'd be nice'

'Well I'm going to pick up Maddie so could you give me a lift?' Baekhyun said, poking his head into the conversation

'Hongdae's a bit out of the way, Baekhyun...'

'Please, hyung? Pretty please?'

'It's also going to mess up the timing schedules' said Chen with a devilish grin

'I hate you, Chen'

'By the way, do you know how cringey you were yesterday? You with your 'call me oppa!' when you were saying goodbye... Aigoo... How desperate.' said Chanyeol

'At least I have a girl to call me oppa and she's my real girlfriend' Baekhyun snapped

'You're so whipped'

'There's nothing wrong with being smitten!'

'Its just creepy when you turn all aegyo-y for a girl'

'Well should I buing buing more around you, Chanyeol? Will that make you shut up every night when I'm trying to get to sleep?'

'Yah, you're the one constantly talking about your girlfriend!'

Everyone laughed as Kris broke up the fight. He was looking forward to having Suho back, probably more than anybody else. D.O had been managing to sort out food supplies by accompanying Sehun on Saturday supermarket trips in his absence. Kai kept up his role of calculating the dorm's allowance money and Kris tried his hardest to keep everything in check, minus the few explosions regarding a certain somebody called Lay.

'So... What's everyone else going to do today?' said Chen

'Are you not busy, hyung? Usually you're with Seohee-noona' said Tao

'Her parents are visiting Korea at the moment so she's gone to see some relatives today.'

'So you've got nothing to do'

'Pretty much'

'How about having a lazy day?' Lay asked

'Ooh, I haven't had one of those in a while'

'Personally I think I deserve one too' Kris muttered

'Why don't you just let Lay pick up Huiling alone then, oppa?' you asked

Kris shook his head, 'Knowing Lay, he'll probably get lost'

'Weren't you the one that went to the arrivals terminal instead of the departures?'

'I'm going to kill Tao for telling you that'

 

In the end, Baekhyun hitched a lift to Hongdae and Lay and Kris headed towards the airport. 

'Hyung! What are we having for dinner tonight?' Sehun asked D.O who was sat on the sofa reading the university newsletter

He looked up and shrugged, 'I don't know... What do we want? Guys?'

'How about a soup? Just something simple?' Xiumin suggested, 'it might be good for Suho to get something familiar down him.'

'I'm going to need to get some carrots then...' D.O said slowly, sighing a little as he put his slippers back on

'I'll get them for you? You can rest, hyung' Kai said, standing up from his desk

'I'll go with Kai-oppa too' you said

D.O and Kai looked at each other, their hearts beating quickly. They hadn't spoken since admitting to each other that they both liked the same girl.

'Oppa?'

D.O turned around so as to not be rude and smiled at you, 'that's fine, sure. Go with Kai.'

He bit his lip as he watched the two of you leave. Displeased was an understatement.

 

'So what does oppa need?'

You were cruising down the aisles of the mart with a trolley and nothing in it. Kai was walking along with you, hands in his pockets and cap resting on his tousled hair.

'Did you do your hair differently today? Kai? Oppa? Kai-oppa?'

'Huh?'

'Never mind, it's nothing. Do we need carrots?'

'Sorry?'

You sighed, 'are you even listening? What's wrong today? Is there something on your mind too? Because if so then let it out. I can't be dealing with this again'

'Sorry? Again?'

'Yes, again. Lay was like this too- in a world of his own and ignoring me.'

'Oh... Ignoring you...'

You groaned and clicked your fingers right by Kai's ear. He flinched and stared at you, suddenly alert again.

'Sorry, Haneul. What were you saying?'

'Is something on your mind?'

'Yeah. I'm sorry.'

'Do you want to just tell me about it?'

'I would, Haneul, but... I can't. I know you said no more secrets but I can't say. Not yet.'

You blushed slightly remembering the last time your birthday wish had been brought up. Behind a waterfall, wet and... kissed by D.O

He sure knew how to confess.

'Haneul?'

'Sorry, I got... A bit distracted'

'Seems like we've both got things on our mind. Do you want to tell me?'

'... I'll keep mine to myself. It's about someone else so it wouldn't be right to talk about it'

'If it's bothering you that much-'

'No no, it's not bothering me at all. It's a nice thought in the back of my mind actually. It's comforting.'

'That's good then'

'Is yours bothering you?'

'It's a bit concerning, yes. It also makes me nervous and a bit worried.'

'Why would you be worried?'

'It's like... '

How can I explain this?

'Like I'm competing against a good friend of mine in a race and I want to let him win because he's my friend but I also want to win because the prize is really big.'

'Are there other competitors too?'

'Yes'

'Then shouldn't you try your best and have a fair game for the prize? The two of you might not win anyway, right?'

'What if... It would ruin your friendship?'

'Well if your friend already knows you want to take part in the race then there's nothing you can do about it. If he doesn't then maybe you could keep it secret that you wanted to take part? Then it wouldn't ruin anything'

'I see'

'What's really bothering you? You know you can tell me'

'Not yet. I'll tell you about it once I make up my mind about whether or not to compete.'

 

---

 

'Hyung, you were really annoying yesterday.'

'How?'

'You made me dance with Chihiro'

Sehun and Luhan were in Sehun's room preparing Suho's bed for his return. Luhan was standing on the edges of the bed frame, peeling the bedsheet away from the mattress whilst Sehun stripped the pillows of their cases.

'I didn't make you dance with her. You did that out of your own accord'

'I only did it because I felt oblidged to stay with her'

'Really? You're telling me you didn't enjoy it?'

'Are you insinuating I like her?'

'Don't you?'

'How can I?'

'What do you mean by 'how can I?' Of course you can like her.'

'She doesn't talk, hyung. I've never spoken to her before. I can't like her.'

'Do you think she's attractive?'

'Do you?'

'I'm asking you'

'Yes'

'Then? What are you so scared about? Why don't you ask her out?'

'Because I don't know her! She's never spoken to me before!'

'You could still ask her'

'What? And have a relationship where all we do is look at each other?'

Luhan could see the flaws in having a relationship with Chihiro but he knew it was so plainly obvious that Sehun liked her. He was just scared of admitting the fact that he liked a girl he had never spoken to. It was one of those weird worldly revelations that can't be explained- how a guy like Sehun could fall for a girl like Chihiro. 

'Don't be such an arse, hyung' Sehun said throwing a pillow in Luhan's direction.

'Yah!'

 

***

 

When you arrived home, bags full of carrots and other root vegetables, D.O was asleep at the table, head in a book. Plonking down the bags beside you, you sat opposite him and began peeling the swedes with a knife.

'Hey, be careful' Chanyeol said, looking over worriedly from the sofa where he hadn't moved since you left in the morning

It was approaching 3PM, the time Huiling's plane would be landing. Chen was singing in the shower and Tao was at the gym, working out as it was summer and he needed to look on top form. Sehun and Luhan came out from the small utility room holding a basket each. 

'Any washing?' Luhan asked, 'we're doing it since Baekhyun's gone out'

'Hyung? Anything to wash?' Sehun asked as he opened the bathroom door a fraction and called in.

'Nothing from me' you said with a smile

'Neither' Chanyeol added

'Shouldn't you wait until Tao comes back and has his shower until you use the washing machine?' Xiumin asked, 'Because he's bound to want one... and need one.'

'That's probably a good idea actually' you nodded

'Should someone wake up D.O-hyung? Because I feel like he's been asleep a bit too long...' said Sehun, 'we only woke up a few hours ago and he's already asleep'

'Leave him' said Kai, 'he probably didn't get much sleep last night'

'Why?'

'I think... He must have been thinking about something. Let's leave him.'

You put down the knife and the swede and walked over to Kai who was hunched over his desk.

'What are you not telling me, Kai?'

'Nothing.' he replied, his voice unwavering despite your menacing aura.

'You better not be lying to me.'

You were properly leaning over him, towering over him in fact and Chanyeol turned his head to see what you were doing. From his direction, it looked like you could have been kissing each other. He snapped his head back to face the television. He didn't want to see any more.

'I'm not lying, Haneul. I just think that hyung must be thinking about something. Do you know what it might be?'

You flushed and jumped away, heading back to your seat.

'I have no idea'

 

---

 

'Where the hell is she? My parking ticket is running out in three minutes- hold on. No, make it two. Lay, where the hell is she?'

Kris was getting irritated with Huiling and Lay was getting irritated at Kris because Kris was taking out his irritation on him.

'I don't know. She hasn't arrived yet so she could be flying over Dalian or-'

'She better not be flying over Dalian now. Dalian is still China! How can she be flying over China when she's supposed to be in Korea?! Oh well look at that, it's now one minute.'

'Calm your , Kris!'

'I am calm!'

'Go back to the car and wait there.'

'But-'

'Go'

'No'

'For God's sake, go. Or stop whining!'

'Why the hell did we have to pick her up?'

'You insisted on coming! That's not my fault! Just because you have some sort of grudge against her doesn't mean you need to be around me 24/7.'

'So you've chosen Huiling?'

'What? No!'

Lay ran towards the arrival board. 

'Hey! She's landed! She's at... Terminal 3...'

'Aren't we in terminal 2?'

'Yeah... But we can walk to terminal 2 through the underpass. It's quick, Kris. Come on, let's go'

Kris laughed, 'I'm not walking all the way over to the other terminal. I'll stay here with the car and you can bring her over. By the way, you didn't answer my question.'

'About choosing Huiling? Yeah, I haven't chosen anyone.'

'Well I saw you and Haneul hugging yesterday.'

'Oh yeah. That. I asked for a hug, I wanted to see if it felt right. It's been a long time since I actually embraced Haneul'

Lay didn't mention the argument that had led to the make up.

'And how did it feel?'

'It felt pretty awesome... And it felt right.'

'But you still haven't decided.'

'I think I'm going after Haneul. Being without Huiling sort of made me go crazy because I guess I realised how much I missed being with Haneul. I even got mad at her yesterday. That's why she gave me a hug.'

'You've lost me. She gave you a hug when you yelled at her?'

Lay smiled broadly, 'yeah. See what I mean? I totally forgot that side of her whilst Huiling was around and after yelling at her, she still forgave me. Kris, why is she so perfect?'

'Well Haneul's not perfect-'

He grinned knowing you'd probably dunk his head down the toilet for saying that.

'You know what I mean. I'm going to make it clear to Huiling that it's Haneul I like. I'm going to put my all into making sure Haneul knows about my feelings.'

'You'd better not take that back when Huiling arrives.'

Lay chuckled, 'hate her that much?'

'No, I just hate you when you're being all lovey with her. It's worse than Baekhyun.'

 

---

 

Slice

Chop 

Sniff

Wipe

Slice 

Chop

Sniff

Wipe

Slice

'Haneul?'

'Oh !'

D.O lifted his head from the table and saw you crying with a bleeding cut on your thumb.

'Princess!' Chanyeol shrieked, running into the bathroom despite Tao being in there, showering.

You heard a yell from Tao and a number of apologies from Chanyeol until the giant emerged from the steamy room holding a box of plasters.

'I told you to be careful... Does it hurt?'

You were your thumb.

'Hana Banana, does it hurt?'

You took your thumb out of your mouth and looked at it. The bleeding seemed to have stopped.

'Yeah, it looks fine.'

'But does it hurt?'

'Only a little.'

Blood began seeping out of the cut and making it's way down your wrist.

'Haneul!' D.O blurted, springing forwards and grabbing your hand.

He gently pushed the cut and applied pressure, not caring about how red and bloody his fingers were getting. Chanyeol grimaced at the sight but handed over the plasters to D.O. Xiumin watched from afar with observant eyes and Kai kept his distance too. Taking an anti-bacterial wipe from the box of wipes on the table, D.O began gently cleaning the wound. You winced at the sharp pain that seared through your thumb and started crying again, your eyes already red and glassy.

'Sorry...' D.O said quietly, still wiping away the blood with his thumb pushed against the cut.

'It's alright.'

He passed the wipe to Chanyeol who went to throw it in the bin. 

'Why are you crying?' D.O asked as he gently placed a large padded plaster over the cut.

'I was chopping onions'

D.O laughed as he stood up to wash his hands. They were stained a dark red and looked horror movie worthy. 

'I woke up because I heard you crying. I didn't think it was because you were chopping onions...'

'It's just past 3 o'clock... Are you tired?'

D.O shook his head but the bags under his eyes said different. Chen came and took the seat beside you and began cutting the rest of the onions. 

'I'll cook tonight if you want a rest?' he suggested

'Noooooooooo!' D.O yelled from the bathroom, 'not on my life do you ever enter that kitchen!'

He was referring to the incident when Chen had asked for baking lessons to make Seohee a surprise cake and D.O had run out of the room screaming for Suho to help control him. 

'Relax, it's just a soup. Like what do you put in a soup? Water... Vegetables?'

'And salt?' you said

'Oh right. Yeah, and salt. See, Haneul can help me.'

D.O walked out of the bathroom, still drying his face with a towel. The hair at the front of his face was wet and slicked back so he took the towel and ruffled at it, shaking his head as he did so. Kai caught you staring and went to his room. D.O noticed him looking at you and his eyes followed him as he left the room.

Kai... 

Xiumin also took a seat at the table and neatly cut the greens.

'I'll cook then'

D.O sighed, realising they didn't want him to strain himself when he was so obviously tired. He also wanted to talk to Kai because he seemed angry and dejected slightly and despite D.O feeling the exact same way earlier that day, he wanted to check that Kai wasn't taking the hit too hard. 

 

*Flashback*

'Oh... Y-You like Haneul?'

Kai nodded, 'Hyung, I can't explain it... It's like I want to protect her and make sure she doesn't get hurt. When things get tough, she's the one that makes me smile and she's the one that can instantly lift my mood. She comforted me on stage when my hyung came and I started punching him in front of everyone and then she stood up for me when hyung came and found me again afterwards. She's never doubted me and she's always worried about me. It's crazy because she'll pop up in my mind at the most random times- like when I'm in a math lecture or a seminar. I'm just always thinking about her.'

'She's the first person you think about when you wake up and the last before you go to sleep and you want no more than to hold her tightly and keep her safe for the rest of your life. You like her so much that it kills you knowing there are others that like her as much as you do because you want to be her only one. You want all of her affection, no matter how selfish it seems. You want to be able to show her off to your friends and tell the world how much you love her and it hurts thinking that she might possibly like someone else.'

'Hyung, you understand it so well'

'Jongin-ah, I don't know how to tell you this nicely but... I like her too'

***

 

'Okay fine. Hyung, I'll leave you in charge. I'm going to lie down before Suho-hyung gets back. Wake me up if you need to, okay?'

You all nodded.

'Oh and Haneul?'

He looked at you earnestly and you blinked to try and process what he was saying instead of just staring at him.

'Take it easy.'

 

---

 

Lay had made his way over to terminal two where he was waiting without a sign. Luhan and Kris hadn't bothered making one this time and it felt a little strange to Lay as it was the dorm's tradition to greet newcomers with a friendly yet utterly embarassing and humiliating sign at the airport. It served as an ice breaker for the fresh meat.

I suppose Huiling isn't exactly fresh meat.

He stood by a column with his headphones in, listening to some music until his phone buzzed in his jeans pocket.

I've just dodged a parking ticket, Lay. Hurry up or else you're paying for my fine. - Kris

Lay chuckled, ignoring the text and putting his phone back in his pocket. It vibrated again and he sighed exasperatedly. Kris was really enjoying grilling him.

I mean it. Where is she? You better run here as fast as you can. - Kris

The doors opened and a whole group of Chinese tourists came flooding out. Lay stood on his toes to see above the numerous placards being held up in the air but he couldn't find Huiling. As he walked around to find a better spot to stand at, his phone bleeped once more.

Forget it. I've driven round to terminal two and someone gave me their parking ticket, wahoo. I'll be with you in just a minute. - Kris

The first bunch of arrivals disappeared out of the terminal and the doors opened once more. Huiling was again, nowhere to be seen. 

I'm waiting at the Starbucks for you. CBA for the crowd. - Kris

Suddenly the doors opened again and Huiling stepped out looking pretty as ever. Her black hair had been permed into waves and she wore a light pink floral top and white jeans. Her face lit up when she saw Lay and she ran over excitedly.

'You came!'

'Yeah'

'You actually came!'

Lay laughed, 'yeah, of course'

 

As Kris watched the two make their way towards him as he sat in the Starbucks with three Cool Lime Refreshas, he felt suddenly uneasy. Lay was frowning a little whilst try to half- smile. 

What's going on?

'Did you enjoy yourself in China?' Lay asked in Chinese

Huiling nodded, 'it was so nice to see everyone again. Shanghai was busy as ever of course. I literally haven't slept at all.'

'Well it's good you enjoyed yourself. That's all that matters.'

Huiling nodded again, 'I have something to ask you.'

Lay grew weary and gulped, 'what is it?'

'Promise you'll consider?'

'What is it?'

'Come back with me.'

'What?!' Lay was so surprised he switched to Korean. 'Come back? To China?'

'Yes... Come back home with me... I'll be going back in a few months since my family want me home. I just wondered if you'd come back with me...'

Huiling was touching the silver H pendant hung around her neck and at that moment, Lay cursed himself for making the mistake of giving it to her. 

'I... I can't go back...'

'Yes you can.'

'No, you don't get it. I really can't. I... I left a life there. I can't go back. You don't understand.'

'I do understand.'

Huiling was staring at her feet. 

'I know who you are... And so does everyone in Shanghai and Beijing and Hunan and-... The whole of China knows who you are...'

Lay looked at her with frightened eyes. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

'I met some girls when I was in Shanghai and they mentioned they were the admins of a Baidu bar. When I told them I lived in Korea they asked me if I knew a guy.'

'How the hell did they know I was here?' Lay muttered angrily

'Childhood superstar, China's youngest, greatest and most promising entertainment gift... ' Huiling said softly, 'Everyone wants you back and everyone still remembers you...'

Lay unclenched his fists as he saw Kris. He tried to give him a look of despair which Kris was able to read automatically. He lowered his eyes, eyebrows knitted together in curiosity.

'Will you come back home now... Zhang Yixing?'

 

 

 

 


OH SHEEEEET. (such a long chapter haha with lots of time changes and things going on at the same time...) I've never explicitly said this but it seems like you all caught on but:

*** = time change

--- = happening at the same time, just elsewhere

 

Right. So much happened in this chapter that I CANNOT-. Also I've started having second thoughts on who to end this with. GOD THIS IS TRAUMATIC.  I hope my attempts to make EVERYONE aggravated (so that's you AND all the characters) have worked teehee

FIRE AWAY IN THE COMMENTS. I want to know your feelings towards EVERYONE. LAY. KRIS. D.O. KAI. CHANYEOL. XIUMIN. CHEN. HUILING. HANEUL. EVERYONE!!!!!