OFFICIAL ENDING PART II

That Girl, Which Boy?

Okay so I think people got confused by the last chapter. My friends, this story simply cannot end in just one chapter! Have you seen how long it's taken just to get up to this point? 108 chapters! (and that's not even counting the prequel!) So for everyone left confused as to why no one was 'chosen' in the last chapter, it's because we're progressing slowly! 

Anyway, to clear up any confusion I made sure to get this out to you all right away ^^ Enjoy!


 

 

When morning came, you were fried- completely fried. Huiling had tossed and turned all night, probably from the fear of going back to China and you hadn't been able to sleep much because of it. And whilst you wanted to be civil, you also wanted a good nights sleep.

"Oppa, I really can't deal with it," you told Xiumin over breakfast, "look!" You pulled down your cheeks slightly, "have I got dark circles?"

"You look fine, Haneul. Just use a bit of concealer or foundation or something. Powder? Is that what girls use?"

"I don't own concealer."

"Oh. Why not? Don't all girls own concealer?"

"Concealer costs money and money is something I don't really have... I'm hardly going to ask Park-ssaem for money to spend on make up."

"I'm sure noona wouldn't mind buying some for you though you don't really need it, your dark circles are hardly visible."

"Are you just saying that to keep me happy?"

"Of course not."

"You lie."

Xiumin reached over and daringly ruffled your hair. It was an ongoing thing that had stuck with the guys from the moment you had arrived in Korea. Hair ruffling was always going to be a thing, whether you liked it or not. "Aigoo, our Haneul is getting better at using her brain and being intuitive now, isn't she?"

"Are you teasing me?"

"Why would I tease you?"

You picked up your plate to take to the kitchen, sticking your tongue out at Xiumin as you left. "Oppa, I may be stupid but I'm not that stupid."

 

 

It was your least favorite day of the week. Today was the day you had a deathly lecture and it was for two reasons that this lecture was so deadly. First, it was early in the morning and a sleep deprived Haneul was never a fun thing to deal with early in the morning. Second, the professor taking the class was always trying to catch you out. It was small things like asking you questions and putting you on the spot that really made you anxious and ready to run out of the door as soon as the clock told you it was lunchtime. And here you were, running slightly late.

Bugger.

Rushing through the right side doors, you raced up the steps and took your seat amidst the cheers of your classmates who had been betting to see if you'd make it before the professor. Because if you hadn't, your would have been kicked for sure. You were breathing heavily still when the wretched man finally walked in but you calmed yourself by taking out your things and getting in a proper work mindset.

The lecture ran smoothly for the first 15 minutes or so. There was an open discussion about an article that had been in the news and it had led to an off-the-tangent debate about animal testing. When the professor had finally managed to get everyone back together, he took his place by the board and began his talk. Honestly speaking, he was rather interesting. He made good points and you had to hand it to him that he definitely made you think and question things you probably wouldn't have if you hadn't been pushed to. A good teacher is a good teacher, there was no denying that.

But he was still mean. And he still liked to call out on people that weren't paying attention.

"So next on our agenda is... In fact, you should all know what's next. Can anyone tell me what it says we're doing next? Lay-ssi?"

"Pardon?"

It was a basic question and although the professor had only asked it with the intention of catching Lay out, the class sighed again for what was probably the fourth or fifth time in that one hour. Lay hadn't been paying attention at all throughout the first part of the lecture and although it meant you were having a break from your usual torment, it was annoying to have to keep stopping to make sure he was at least partly on this world still. Suho had even begun to worry a little about Lay, nudging him and giving him the look that read 'are you okay?' all over it. Lay simply dismissed it, smiling and nodding and turning back to the board to fake paying attention.

"Right, well we're moving swiftly onto cabbage surgery. Can anyone tell me what this is, cabbage surgery? Haneul-ssi?"

"CAB...G?" you answered uncertainly. Glancing at Suho, he nodded and you felt your head lift a little higher in pride for getting a question right.

"And what exactly is CABG?"

"Coronary artery bypass... surgery. But I don't quite know where the 'G' came from."

"The 'G' stands for graft in this instance but yes, Haneul-ssi, you're correct. Cabbage surgery is indeed coronary artery bypass surgery."  The professor looked up at Lay, "so, the first rule of a coronary bypass is..."

Lay had given up. His head had hit the table and whilst both you and Suho tried to get him to sit up again, he refused to, instead closing his eyes and wishing he was someplace else.

"Lay!' Suho hissed, "can't you at least try and look like you're listening?"

"Oppa..." You whispered, "everyone's watching."

You and Suho both rose a little, straightening up in your seats. Lay however did little to fix his posture and arrogant demeanor, not even when Suho quickly bowed his head and you followed suit. It was strange and for the rest of the lecture, Lay was completely out of it. Had it not been for the occasional blinking, it could have looked like he had died. Whether or not his destination was Heaven or Hell was another matter entirely and one that you didn't want to bother thinking about.

 

Almost another hour passed until it was finally the end of the lecture and you were thanking the gods of sympathy for it. Suho packed up his things and rushed off, barely making time to tap you on the shoulder and tell you that he was heading to the library to bag the best computer space. Apparently half of the desktops had been playing up and being in a morning lecture meant that he was only 10% likely to get a decent, working one.

"I'll see you at dinner!"

"Don't work yourself to death!"

Suho flashed a smile, "I won't! I promise!"

"I'll kill you if you do!" you threatened.

"Oh, you won't be the only one!" Suho cooed back, "see you later!"

You shoved your writing pad in your bag and dumped your pens into the small zip-up pencil case Kai had given you when you first arrived. Noticing Lay making his way to the door on the left, you raced after him, not wanting to lose him.

"Lay! Lay! Yah, where are you going?! It's lunch! Aren't you hungry?!"

He was headed in the direction that would lead him back to the student accomodation and it seemed unlike him to want to eat at home, especially as Kyungsoo had an outing that day too which meant he wouldn't have been making food for himself either. Granted Lay was not too shabby when it came to cooking but with everything going on recently, Suho and Sehun hadn't gotten round to visiting the mini mart. You figured that he could have been going home to finish packing but something told you that wasn't quite right. Besides, he could pack another time. Dashing after him, you weaved through the crowds of students crowding around a noticeboard to read the latest bulletin on work placements and internships.

"Excuse me! Coming through!"

You turned around, trying to locate Lay, and spotted a red hood bobbing through a horde of people. 

"Lay?! Hey, wait!"

Lay stopped walking so quickly and slowed down, though seemingly rather reluctant. You ran to him and caught up with him when he had exited the building. Turning to you, he adjusted his bag straps but avoided any eye contact.

"Haneul-"

"I'm sorry," you gushed, "I didn't mean it when I said I hated you."

Lay smiled sadly, still not bringing himself to look at you. "Yes, you did. You hate me because I lied to you."

"You didn't lie to me."

"I did. So please, hate me."

"Can you not do this please? I want to say thank you for saving my life too."

You wrapped your arms around Lay, giving him the hug you wished you had given him before and he stood there, still as stone. "Okay," was all he said.

"Did you... mean it?"

"Mean what?"

"What you said to me."

Lay pushed you away and hoisted his bag back into a comfortable position for him. "No."

You were taken aback. "What?" you said, breathlessly. 

"You seem to think that the world revolves around you and everybody else pleasing you," Lay said, harshly. His tongue was laced with venom and he spoke words of poison, "just because you've got others wrapped around your little finger, you think that you can toy with our emotions?"

"What are you talking about?" Lay wasn't just being unfair. He also wasn't making any sense. It was that anti-Lay from the night before again, only more terrifying this time.

"You can't just pick up and play with whoever you want, whenever you want. Isn't that what you told me too?"

"But I'm not." You argued back, "Lay, why are you being such a jerk?"

"Oh so now I'm a jerk?"

It was like a replay of the arguments you had been having with Lay of late. Twisted arguments with no clear winner or loser- just useless fights with no real outcome: petty tiffs, and nothing but feelings of hatred resulting.

"Haneul, I've got to go."

"Go where?" you demanded, "where do you need to go?"

"To... class."

"You could at least come up with a better excuse if you didn't want to talk to me, Lay. We're in the same class and you and I both know we don't have anything else today."

"Sorry Haneul, but really, I'm going to go now-"

"Lay! Hey!"

The sudden call from someone who sounded excited and not angry or wound up was music to your ears. Looking over, you couldn't have been more happier to see who it was. It was exactly the person you needed- someone that could tell Lay off with nothing more than a look and wasn't afraid of having a fist fight with him either.

Luhan was approaching the two of you, smiling widely as he did so. Looking at Lay, you could see his face struck with panic and he grabbed his things and began walking quickly in the opposite direction before breaking into a run when he heard Luhan's shouts.

"Hey, Lay! Where are you going?! Let's eat lunch together! It's one of our last!"

Lay didn't look back. Instead, he turned the corner and found himself a dark, hidden spot where he crouched down and sat, shaking nervously. He was sweating profusively and hadn't felt as stressed as he was in months. Closing his eyes, he tried to compose himself, apologising again and again.

Learn to hate me, Haneul. That way we can part separate ways and no one gets hurt. Forget that I ever told you I loved you and hate me. Hate me for all my worth and all my existence. Just hate me. 

 

It was useless trying to call him back and you sat down on the nearest bench feeling nothing but dejected. Luhan sighed and padded towards you, placing himself beside you and dumping his bag on the ground.

"Well at least we tried."

You sighed loudly, nibbling at your top lip, your chest rising up and down as you inhaled and exhaled heavily, trying to calm yourself down. It wasn't just an irritation that Lay was causing. Your heart hurt more than that and Luhan knew it. He looked away and biting his own lip, leaned over and placed an arm around your shoulder, bringing you closer to him.

"Ignore him, Haneul-ah..."

You shook your head and Luhan looked down at you, buried in the crook of his neck. 

"He's leaving anyway, that jerk."

Luhan could feel a wet moistness pool against his skin and he pulled you closer still.

"Are you crying?"

You shook your head again.

"Liar."

Letting out a soft cry, you clutched onto Luhan's shirt as his hand ran up and down your arm in a bid to comfort you like a baby. 

"Just forget about him. Can you do that for me?" 

You unlatched yourself from Luhan and looked at him. Your eyes were red, eyelashes wet and spiky and Luhan frowned, knowing what was coming next. Although he had long moved on, that love and care that he had built up for you was eternal and seeing you so upset only meant one thing. This wasn't the usual Haneul he knew. The usual Haneul would either not care about Lay and wait for him to snap out of his horrid attitude or would make him pay for his actions. The usual Haneul wouldn't cry over someone being particularly horrible to her, not like the way you were now.

"If he's making you so upset, just forget about him."

You shut your eyes and breathed out slowly and calmly.

"I don't think I can," you whispered, tears slipping out, "it's him, Luhan, it's him."

 

 

 

 


So yes, it's Lay! Haneul and Lay! After a lot of debate, I figured it should be our Changsha Prince- the mysterious dark horse of the dorm who's always being so... mysterious. I chose to have Lay as the official ending in December last year and I've stuck by it ever since. It was one of my readers, Jana, who really left me thinking that it should be him and I guess after speaking to her and hearing her reasons, I was swayed to choose him too.

You wouldn't believe how tempted I was to make the official ending a Kyungsoo one. You know how I was going through a stage of 'is this the right ending' panic? It was because I ws suddenly consumed by the idea of Kyungsoo and Haneul. Thankfully Emelie told me to stick to my guns so here we are. A LayxOC story.

More will be explained in the next chapter regarding Haneul's reasonings etc (which is of course, my reasoning) but I hope those that are disappointed won't be ~too~ disappointed. Perhaps it's a surprise, this ending or... perhaps not? Some of you seem to have known for a long time (and I don't blame you, I've leaving subtle yet confusing hints that could also work with the other 3 love lines everywhere since December 2012)

Anyhow, please leave me a comment! I'd love to know how you feel about this ending (although if you're super disappointed, please don't tell me that because I may cry, no joke)