Reasoning

That Girl, Which Boy?

'Aish! What was ssaem thinking when he let that come here?!'

A few long hours had passed and Luhan paced up and down your bedroom. You stared out of the window. Kai was in Mr Park's office, waiting for his verdict. D.O was with him to keep him company. Suho and Kris were busy tracking down Jongjae and everyone else was sitting at the dinner table in silence. 

'Luhan... It wasn't Mr Park who invited him. It ws that Professor Lee guy. Jongjae called him Jimmy or something.' you said

He tugged at his hair furiously. 'Aish, I should have seen this coming and then stopped Kai. I should have kidnapped Kai so he wouldn't have been able to go. I should have kidnapped Park-ssaem so he couldn't agree to it. I should have stolen a teacher's phone and texted Jongjae not to come and that the talk was over. I should have-'

'Hyung, it's not your fault.' said Baekhyun, standing by the door. 

Your gaze didn't leave the window for a second. You tried to think but your mind was blank. 

I can't imagine how Kai feels right now. 

Suddenly there was a shout from the dining room. 'Hey! Get out here you guys!'

It was Chanyeol and he was shouting at the top of his voice down the phone. 'Hyung! Hyung! What are you saying?! He's what?!'

Sehun grabbed the phone and looked at it. 'It's D.O... Hyung? What's wrong? Hang on... Let me put you on speaker phone'

He pressed a few buttons and D.O's voice echoed around the room. 

'I can't find Kai! He's disappeared! I-I... He said he was just going to the bathroom and then he never came back and guys, I'm so sorry, I should have realised this would happen and I'm such an idiot and-'

'Kyungsoo-yah, calm down!' Xiumin yelled. 

You sat on the floor hugging your knees. Lay noticed and bent down, crouching in front of you. You remembered the last time the two of you had been in that position, only the roles were reversed. Lay was sitting on the hospital floor and you crouched down beside him, kissing him on the cheek. He had been hurt and you had felt so guilty for putting him in that position. 

'Haneul... Are you okay?'

You nodded but started to cry, hiding your face in your jumper. Lay took you in his arms and pulled you in for a warm embrace.  

'Shhh.. Shhh, don't cry Haneul. Please.'

He gently kissed your forehead. 

'It'll be okay... Kai will be fine, I promise'

 

***

 

An hour later, you woke up hungry. Lay had obviously carried you to the sofa as you found yourself wrapped up well in blankets and duvets. You sat up and saw that everyone apart from Kai was back. However, D.O had also brought Mr Park too. 

'Park-ssaem...'

'How are you feeling, Haneul-ssi?'

You nodded, not really answering his question. 

'Park-ssaem was about to explain today to us. You woke up at the right time.' said Kris

Luhan smiled. 'I was about to wake you up anyway'

You nodded again and Lay pulled out the chair beside him for you to sit on. Mr Park rubbed his temples before starting to talk. 

'Just to clarify this... No one's seen Kai since he left D.O?'

You all shook your heads. Mr Park took another swig of tea, downing it as if it was a shot of vodka. You could tell he was worried. 

'D'you know what?' he said, 'You guys can ask the questions. I'm sure you've got plenty'

Luhan raised his hand. 'Why did you do it? Why did you let Jongjae come?'

'I wasn't the teacher that contacted him in the first place.'

'But you're the head! You're the boss! The controller of this entire university!' said Tao

'Guys, let's let Sunsengnim talk please.' said Suho. He paused. '...Go on, Park-ssaem.'

'Like I said, it was Professor Lee who asked Jongjae to come in. Lee Sunsengnim is a very highly sought after teacher and he must have happened to teach Kai's brother when he was still studying.'

'Ssaem, you still haven't answered the question!' said Sehun

'Look, the reason why I agreed to let Jongjae-ssi come is because-'

'You care about him too much' you said bluntly.

'What was that?' said Kris, speaking in English. He momentarily forgot about Korean.

'I mean, what are you saying, Haneul?'  he reiterated again, so that everyone else would understand. 

Lay looked at you. Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked at each other. Everyone slowly turned their attention to you. Mr Park didn't look suprised. 

 

You shrugged. 

'It's a simple fool proof plan to get Kai healthy again. You invite Jongjae, knowing full well that he'll make a public mockery out of Kai. You also know that despite Kai's calm and collected appearance, he can't face his past and so even if he didn't go up there and punch the living daylights out of his own brother, his reputation would be tarnished by the mere fact that he was considered a loser child. Him going on stage and engaging in physical contact with Jongjae only betters your plan.'

'And what plan is that?!' said Kris

'To get Kai away from taking on so much work by himself. You knew that whatever happened today, Kai would need to leave his role of being Head of First Year. He would either get voted off from unpopularity or he would be kicked off for bad behaviour. You... You only wanted to help him'

Everyone faced Mr Park. 

'It's true, isn't it? You want Kai to look after his health and stop caring about pleasing his family so much. You want Kai to realise that there's more to life than beating his brother and well... You just wanted Kai to be happy, didn't you?'

Everyone was stunned to silence. Mr Park nodded and you sighed.

'Ssaem, I get it. I understand what you tried to do but crushing his dreams like that... How... How could you do that to him? It's like...' You trailed off. You didn't know how to finish your sentence. 

'What I did was risky... and I thought about it a lot,' said Mr Park solemnly. You raised your head to hear him speak. 'But it was necessary. Kai's going to ruin himself if he goes like this anymore.'

'Couldn't you have just taken him off the board anyway?' said Chanyeol

'And have him work even harder trying to 'better' than he was despite already being one of the best?' 

'You should have consulted us about it, ssaem. I know you meant well but really... I was the first to see Kai when he left his home and... He really loves his family' said Suho, shaking his head slightly

'Didn't Jiyoung-ssi mention she was going to talk to me about Kai?' said Mr Park

'What? Noona?' said Chanyeol.

Everyone shook their heads. 'She didn't?...' 

'Definitely didn't mention Kai to us...' said Chen 'Unless she talked to Haneul about it during the day when you went out shopping?'

You frowned. 'Unnie didn't mention that she wanted to talk to you, Park-ssaem...'

'Well Jiyoung-ssi was worried. I mean, she was worried about all of you. Even you, Haneul. She came into my office as she was leaving with a present but also a request'

'What did noona ask?' said Sehun

'She said... 'Do whatever it takes to make him stop. He's killing himself for no reason.'... Your sister did her background research, Chanyeol'

'Jiyoungie-noona?'

'She must have known a while ago about Kai's family and their lack of care for him.' said Chen, thinking it through in his head. 

'But at least now he knows the truth...' said Baekhyun

'The truth?' said Chanyeol

Baekhyun nodded. 'He knows that his family don't want him back. As heartbreaking as it is... He needed to know.'

'And we'll always be there for him, won't we?' you said, putting your hand in the middle of the table.

Baekhyun placed his hand on top of yours. 'Always'

 

 



I'm updating when I'm supposed to be sleeping ohohoho! I'm so naughty! ohohoho

so guys, now what do you think? Agree with Mr Park and Jiyoung-noona? AND WHERE HAS KAI GONE AH?!??!?!

go crazy in the comments guys! You know I love it ;D