A Good Day Gone Bad

That Girl, Which Boy?

A long chapter because I want to thank you all for such lovely comments on the last chapter <3


 

Jinri decided to stay the night after dinner which you were more than grateful for. Although Huiling had done absolutely nothing wrong, the thought of being alone with just her in your room was somewhat chilling.

'Relax. She's not another Shinyeong' you tried to reason with yourself. Aaron however, had decided against staying the night, despite several attempts made by the boys to convince him otherwise.

'Hyung! It'll be fun!'

'Sorry Sehun-ah, I've got some homework to do'

'Come on, Taejoon. One night won't kill you' said Kai

'Speak for yourself' you retorted, 'back when you were the councillor, we couldn't do anything to stop you working'

You turned to Aaron and gave him a hug. 'You're sure you want to go?'

He nodded.

'Fine, fine. I guess we'll see you tomorrow?'

'See you tomorrow, oppa!' Jinri said

Aaron grunted in response and left.

 

***

 

'Guess who's here!'

You crawled out of your room to find Jiyoung, fully kitted out in a pillarbox red trouser suit and black killer heels, standing in the living room with a smile on her face.

'Unnie!'

'Noona!'

Chanyeol opened his bedroom door, rubbing his eyes. He was only wearing his boxers and a plain box t-shirt. Kris, though still half asleep, shoved him back into his room. You could hear Baekhyun's frustrated yelling as Chanyeol fell over and hit his head on the bed frame.

'Yah! You idiot! Why are you shaking the bed?!'

'Get up, pabo! Noona's outside!'

'Noona? What noona?... Oh! Noona!'

'Yeah, Jiyoung-noona... Hey! Where are you going like that? Put some trousers on!'

'Yah, Byun Baekhyun! You had better not come out indecently. There are girls here!' Said Jiyoung through the door.

Chihiro, who was standing beside her, smiled knowingly. Sehun nodded at her and she quickly nodded back before diverting her attention to Jiyoung who had begun pulling presents out of her handbag, left right and centre. Jinri slowly came out of your room too, stretching her arms out wide.

'Haneul-ah, what's all the commotion?... Omo!'

'Good morning, Jinri-ah! Remember me?'

'O-Of course, unnie, it's great to see you again!'

'I got you a present, just as promised'

'You didn't! Really? Wow, thank you so much!'

'I didn't expect to see you here though, are you staying here now?'

'No, I only stayed last night after dinner, that's all'

'Ah, I see. Well lets all sit down, shall we? I want to show you everything I've got for you!'

'Noona, you always shower us with gifts' Suho said

'Of course, sweetie! As family, we must care for each other! Yah, Park Chanyeol, get your over here.'

Everyone laughed as Chanyeol stomped over towards his sister. 'Why are you so horrible to your real blood-related brother?'

'Aigoo, is my little baby bro getting jealous?'

'No,' Chanyeol scowled, 'why would I be jealous?'

'Haneul, where's Huiling?' Lay said quietly

Jiyoung had ears like a bat and turned her attention to him. Lay froze like a statue, unmoving and unblinking.

'Huiling? Who is this Huiling, Lay? Hmm? Your girlfriend?' 

'She's staying with us. She's got some troubles at the moment' 

You noticed he hadn't answered the question. Jiyoung did too.

'Oh, I see. Well, where is she?' 

'I'm here...' Huiling peeped

'Wow, Lay, she's a very attractive girl-' 

'Noona, she can hear you'

'Well I'm not saying anything bad, am I?' 

'Why are you here?' Chanyeol sighed

'Just a stop over on our way to Japan. Chihiro is going to go back for a few weeks and I'm going to sort out some paperwork.'

'Paperwork?'

'Yeah. Our hotel? Remember, Chanyeol?' 

'Oh right, yeah. That hotel.'

Everyone turned slightly awkward from Chanyeol's dark tone of voice. Jinri turned her head towards you and you caught her eye before she could say anything. Giving her the look whilst slightly shaking your head, she turned a blind eye and turned away. You knew you would be asked a few questions later but Jinri wasn't a pryer. If you told her it was complicated, she would understand and not ask again.

To lighten the mood, D.O piped up from his seat. He was positively glowing with radiance and it filled you with happiness to see him looking so healthy again.

'How about we all make breakfast together?' 

'Not you, D.O. You're taking a break from any work.' said Kris

'Hyung, please. I said we can all do it together.'

Kris pursed his lips and Suho grinned, ignoring him. 'Fine. Let's do it all together, yeah?'

Tao hooted in excitement. 'Woo!'

As you began pulling up your hair into a ponytail, D.O took the hairband and tied it for you.

'Today's going to be a good day, I just know it.' he said

You nodded, 'yeah, I can feel it too.' 

 

And it was a good day.

It was one of the best, in fact. A call from Luhan told you all that he was going to audition to be in the new group (although he did miss out the rather crucial part about being dropped if he failed). A skype call from Ah Ri told you that her brother was going to debut sometime soon and she would be flying out to see him at his showcase. A second skype call from Maddie told you (or rather Baekhyun) that the weather in the UK was dismal and she wished to come and see you because she was fed up. Another gift from Jiyoung, a bracelet that matched the one given to Jinri, jangled up and down on your wrist, shining whenever it caught the light. Kris seemed at ease for most of the day, even forgetting to tell Chanyeol off when he took off his socks. Jiyoung was less forgiving and slapped him on the head. That one move spurred an attack on Chanyeol resulting in a pillow fight around the dorm. When everyone was worn out, you all lay down on the floor. As Chihiro lay beside you, panting heavily, you felt a little concerned about her tiny frame.

'You alright?' 

'Yeah, thanks' she uttered breathlessly before quickly moving her hands to cover in shock. 

It was the first time she had spoken in years. 

She stared at you for a few seconds, blinking rapidly as if you were going to eat her or something. She looked like a scared, little lamb that had been caught in the headlights. You reached out a hand and placed it on her shoulder. 

'Hey... It's okay... Don't feel the need to be worried.' you whispered, 'if you ever want to come to me, just know that you can, okay?'

You didn't know why she didn't like talking but you did know something. If someone is irrationally scared, then you must always try and comfort them. Chihiro calmed her breathing and managed to smile slightly. 

Thank you, Haneul. Thank you for being so understanding.

 

That night, Jiyoung called a cab to take her downtown. She was adamant about treating her hungry donsengs to dinner. Jinri was given a lift home which she had consistently tried to refuse saying that Jiyoung's worldwide reputation would be ruined. Jiyoung had laughed, telling her that if anything, it would give Jiyoung a better reputation as a model scouter. Naturally Jinri blushed and got into the car without a word more.

'She's never going to quit trying to recruit Jinri, is she?' said Tao

'You think?' Chen replied

'Noona really never gives up' said Chanyeol, 'She's the reason why I'm not roaming around on the streets.'

'And you guys are the reason why I'm not on the streets' you said, looking at Kai knowingly, 'if you hadn't taken me in, where would I be?' 

'With Eun Mi and her cronies?' Kris said, laughing

'Yah, that was not funny! I got kicked in the face on my first day!'

'What?! Really?!' Xiumin shrieked with laughter, 'That's not the Haneul I know'

'Hey, I was a new person in a new country. I was a bit out of water, okay?' 

'Like Kris in China when he chose his name to be Kevin' Kai sniggered

'Please say we're not starting this again.'

'Oooh, what are ya gonna do, Kevin? Set your little fanclub on us?' D.O joined in

'D.O! I didn't expect you to talk like that!' Suho exclaimed

'I had a coffee this morning, I apologise.' D.O replied, bowing his head

'The 'Kiss Me Kris' fanclub is actually quite big. There are 158 members and counting. At least I have a fanclub, unlike someone I know.'

'Oh rich, hyung. That was a fabulous comeback. You argue like a 5-year old' Baekhyun said, slow clapping.

'At least I don't look like one!' he retorted, poking his tongue out.

 

An hour or so passed and you all soon tired of waiting. The clock hands made their way around and around eventually falling at 11pm. Tao clutched his stomach and rummaged through the refrigerator.

'Why is there nothing to eat?'

'I'll go tomorrow' said Suho, 'Sehun, when are you free?'

'After lunch'

'Rats, I have a lesson then...'

'I could go alone?' 

'Ha! As if I'd let you run amock with money in a supermarket. You'll end up coming home with 50 packs of ramen and not a single vegetable.'

'Okay, true say.'

Chihiro giggled and couldn't stop and when Tao's stomach began to gurgle, the hysteria started again. As it approached 11.30pm, Chanyeol gave Jiyoung a call but couldn't get through.

Where the heck is she? Maybe she got swarmed by paparazzi?

Suho the TV and flicked to the news. You decided to head to your room to change into your well, D.O's sweatpants and Kai's sweatshirt. They had become the two things you wore the most. You felt safe in them and their scent had managed to last. Though you now probably had ownership rights on them for having them for so long, they still had their hints of Kai and D.O. Maybe that was why you liked them so much.

Huiling also came into your room as you found some clothes for her. You still hadn't spoken to her much but as she sat down to remove her under-eye make up, you threw her your cotton pads and remover

'Here. These will be much gentler than those wipes.'

'Thank you' 'No problem... Huiling, can you tell me what happened?'

She nodded and did so. You had to keep in your gasps and sighs of pity as you heard about the abuse she had suffered at her boyfriend's hands.

So I suppose I was right to be worried about what he might do to a girl.

'Huiling, don't worry. He's not allowed in any educational facility in Seoul now.'

'I know and I'm so thankful to you as well as deeply sorry'

'Why should you be sorry?'

'You had to deal with my jerk ex-boyfriend'

'Better late than never'

 

Meanwhile, in the living room, everyone was silently watching the TV. A murder report had come up. Kris watched intently, his eyes widening in realisation.

There is absolutely no way that is him.

Baekhyun gazed at the television screen, his head cocked to one side.

It can't be... Can it?

Suho too was confused. He gently tapped Chihiro, 'Could you get Haneul?'

'No! Don't call her over!' Kris hissed

'What's going on?' Kai asked

'Someone care to spill? Do we know who this person is?' said Chen

'Please tell me we don't know who this is...' Tao said quietly

Jiyoung burst through the front door, her hair dripping wet and her mascara running down her face.

'Noona, where have you been? We're starv-'

'Where's Haneul?!'

'She's in her room' Chanyeol said

Jiyoung glanced around the room and shrieked at the television.

'Turn that off! Now! Turn it off! God!'

'Noona, what's wrong?' Sehun asked

Kris met Jiyoung's eyes and he knew what had happened. He swallowed and knocked on your door before coming in.

'Yes?'

'You need to come out. Something's happened?'

'Something's happened?'

Kris nodded. 'Haneul, I'm so so sorry'

'What the hell is going on?'

You walked out with Kris and Huiling to be met with Jiyoung's crazed eyes and hyperventilating state.

'Unnie, are you okay? What's going on?'

'Haneul, just relax okay, please. And listen quietly to what I'm about to say.'

D.O moved to stand next to you and he slipped his hand into yours. He didn't have a clue what was going on but if he could be of any support to you, he would feel better.

'H-Haneul... I got a call from Park-ssaem and...'

'And?...' you repeated quietly.

You feared the worst and gripped D.O's hand tightly.

'It's your cousin, Haneul.... They got him.'

'They got him? What?'

'They... He's...'

Jiyoung couldn't get the words out.

Your face fell. Sharp tears began to fall as your heart clenched and threatened to burst. You couldn't feel your hands anymore. Everyone else was horrified by the news, know putting together the pieces of what they knew. Chihiro understood what was happening after seeing the news report and Huiling kept silent, knowing something big had just happened.

'Please tell me that this is all a big joke and Hyun Ki's not dead. Please. Please, unnie... T-Tell me you're lying! Tell me you're pulling my leg! Why are you doing this to me?!'

You reached forwards to make a grab at Jiyoung's hair, not able to control your actions. Your last family member- now dead. After hating him for a few years, you had finally been able to feel close to him again. He was the one person left in the world biologically programmed to love you being blood related. He knew what you had lost and he held the key to your past memories.

'Tell me it's a joke!' you screamed, crying and sobbing hysterically

D.O held you back and encased your shaking body in his arms. He held you close and fell to his knees as you did. He could feel your gripping onto his jumper like your life depended on it.

'I'm not letting go of you, Haneul. Take it easy, shh, shh... There's a good girl... Oppa's here for you...' he whispered into your ear

You cried and cried, howling like an unfed baby with a wet, unchanged nappy.

And now, Huiling, you can feel sorry for me.

I feel sorry for me.

Why me, of all people? Why my family? Why everyone I love?

Oppa... Wasn't today supposed to be a good day?

We both felt it in our bones. How wrong we were.

 

 

 


I wanted this chapter to be as tragic as EXO's latest hairstyles. 

and if you say they're not tragic, I say you are blinded by love. Baekhyun looks like an idiot and I do not want to imagine how much processing has gone into making Luhan's hair that greyish blue color.