A 'Date' Gone Wrong

That Girl, Which Boy?

'Seohee! Seohee!'

'You're rather excited, Haneul'

It was lunchtime and you were sitting with Jinri away from all the guys.

'Guess what happened this morning!' You said excitedly, hardly able to keep it in

Even Jinri had a small smile on her face.

'What happened?'

'Well do you remember when you stayed over and you were telling me that there are other people that like me?'

'Of course' said Seohee, carefully sitting down and opening her lunchbox, 'egg roll?'

'No thanks'

'Jinri?'

'I'll pass this time.'

'Fine. More for me'

'Seohee!'

'Oh right, yes Haneul? You were saying?'

'Yeah well... I think you're right. I think someone else might like me'

'And who might that someone be?' Seohee said cooly, placing another egg roll in and chewing thoughtfully

'D.O-oppa' you replied quietly

Seohee held her chopsticks in to stop herself from smiling. Instead, she nodded slowly.

'Why do you say that?'

'Well it's just because today at breakfast, Lay blurted out that he likes me-'

'Lay said he likes you?'

'No! He said that D.O likes me'

'Ah I see... So? What are your thoughts?'

'Well I don't know. I don't know whether to believe him or not.'

'It is a bit fishy though, isn't it?' Said Jinri slurping on her coffee.

'Haven't you had enough of those?' Seohee said, 'coffee is notoriously bad for you'

'I'm cutting down, okay! I just can't get my head around green tea yet'

'You're Korean. How have you not been brought up drinking the damn thing?'

Jinri shrugged. 'Jaemin hates it so I suppose my parents stopped buying it.'

'Guys...' You said agitatedly.

Honestly, getting girls to talk about boys is usually so easy and yet here you were with 2 of the very few females you knew and they wanted to talk about tea. There are other crisises at hand here!

'Is there anyone you've got your eye on, Jinri? Since we're on the topic of guys' you cried out, trying to get a word in.

It was a long shot but it worked. There's not much else girls would rather talk about when it comes to boys.

'Well...'

'Oh there is someone!' Said Seohee excitedly, 'Spill! Now!'

Jinri took a few breaths to calm her nerves. As a close friend, you deserved to know about her feelings for Aaron and she felt ready to tell you about them. Perhaps you'd try and help bring the pair together. That was best case scenario. Worst was... Let's not even go into that.

'Yeah, there is someone actually. He's tall and handsome and enjoys the same things I do. The only thing is that he likes someone else'

'You should still go for it!' You said

'Beat that other girl!' Seohee added, 'Jinri, fighting!'

'So who is it? Who's the lucky guy?' You questioned

This was it for Jinri. The time she would properly confess to both you and Seohee. As of yet, only Jaemin knew about her liking Aaron due to a game of vodka shots they did at home whilst their parents were away. Needless to say, both siblings confessed about who they liked and stayed up all night dancing around their house like lunatics. They vowed to never drink with each other again. 

'Okay, you guys can't tell anyone... It's... It's-'

'Oh god!' You shouted, staring at your phone, 'Oh god, oh my god, I'm so so late. Oh my god. I'm so sorry Jinri but I really have to go. You can tell me later, okay?'

'Where the heck are you off to?' Seohee asked, 'don't you have an afternoon lecture?'

'Nope' you replied with a smile, 'I was supposed to meet Kai 10 minutes ago.'

'Where are you going?'

'He wants to go to a cake parlour. I reckon its to find out what kind of cake I'd like for my birthday'

'Your birthday?!' Said Jinri

You swung your bag over your shoulder nodding, 'Yeah, it's my birthday in 2 days. I didn't mention it to you guys?'

'You may have managed to forget about that teeny tiny detail' Said Seohee, 'But go! Sheesh you really are late!'

You looked back down at the screen of your phone and yelped again. 'Christ almighty, okay I really gotta run! See you!'

'See you!' Seohee shouted back

'Don't trip!' Jinri added, watching you run off at the speed of light, 'aish, that girl. I never got to tell her...'

'You can still tell me?'

'Yeah...'

 

---

 

As you approached Kai who was leaning against the school gates looking rather bored, you shouted an apology.

'I'm sorry oppa! I didn't mean to be so late!'

'Don't worry about it, Haneul! I was late too!' Kai yelled back.

He didn't want you to feel bad about waiting when in fact he had purposely missed out speaking to his professor about the guest speaker just so that he could stop by the dorm, grab his wallet, check his hair and still be early.

'Don't lie to make me feel better!'

'I'm not lying' Kai said as you got closer to him.

He held out his hand and you took it smiling. 'I'm really sorry. Truly. I was so deeply involved in a conversation with the girls'

'Oh really? What were you saying?'

'Ah... It doesn't matter. You wouldn't get it. Girl talk stuff.'

'Oh right, yeah. Girl talk stuff scares me,' Kai said with a wink. He pulled you out of the school gates and flagged down a taxi cab, dragging you into it. 'Come on, let's get going!'

 

---

 

'You... Hang on... I need to get my head around this.' said Seohee in deep shock

Jinri was sitting opposite her with her head in her hands. 'I know, I know! It's been eating away at me bit by bit. God, I wanted to hurt Haneul a few weeks ago. It was only Jaemin who talked some sense into me thank god. I can't even believe that I thought those things. How could I want to hurt her?' 

Jinri sobbed silently and Seohee placed a caring hand on her shoulder. 

'How could I have wanted to hurt my best friend?'

Seohee took her time to gather her thoughts and think rationally. 

'So how long has it been? Since you started to like Taejoon?'

'Since he sang that song for Haneul at the show... Seohee, I tried to forget about him. Really, I did... But-'

'Don't worry about forgetting about him. If you like him then you can't change it.'

'But what if he never gets over Haneul?'

'I feel like it's something he's going to have to come to terms with. If I didn't know any better, I would say that Haneul has feelings for one of those boys. Question is... Who?'

'Beats me. She probably doesn't even know herself.'

Seohee sighed. 'Unfortunately, I have to agree with you there. She's completely clueless.'

'Should I tell her I like Taejoon?'

'I think so... It would be best to be honest'

Jinri nodded, mustering her courage to do it with conviction. 

'Okay. I'll talk to her later.'

 

---

 

'Kai... This place...'

'Jaemin-hyung took you here, right?'

'How did you know?'

Kai tapped the side of his nose with her index finger. 'I have my ways.'

'A table for 2? A couple?' said the waiter, holding two menus. He looked rather charming and dapper in his uniform. Cute, you thought.

'Yes please' said Kai

'Oh but we're not a couple!' you added rather quickly

The waiter looked amused when he saw Kai look at you in a sort of disappointed way. He had kind of wished you had gone along with the whole couple idea. As you took your seats, the waiter took out his pad. 

'Drinks?'

'English cream tea for me, please' you said

'Same here.'

'Certainly.'

When he had left, Kai cleared his throat. 'So what cake do you want?'

This was testing time. What cake you chose obviously meant it was your favorite and therefore would be your birthday cake. The only boys in the dorm that even knew it was your birthday soon were Lay and Kai, the latter due to being in charge of every students personal file and spending a good 10 minutes looking through yours when you were due to be brought to Korea. 

'I don't know... They're all so good. I do like chocolate, that's the sort of fool-proof option isn't it? But sometimes it's too sickly and then at other times, it's not moist enough. Aigoo, this is hard.'

'What about a fruit cake? With cream and all that?'

'Oh I do like those.'

'So shall we get that?'

You shook your head and pouted, chewing on your lips as you carefully examined the menu. The waiter came back with your drinks and laughed upon seeing you so deep in thought. 

'If you can't decide, Miss, I'd recommend getting the deluxe cake stand. It comes with bite sized slices from each of our cakes. You're sure to find at least 10 you like.'

'Hey, that sounds good!' said Kai, 'Shall we get that?'

You nodded, shutting the menu and handing it to the waiter. 'Yes, let's get that! Thank you.'

'Anything for you, Miss' the waiter replied, bowing and winking. 

Kai frowned. He was obviously flirting with you and yet you showed no sign of disgust. Why is she being like this? There were a few minutes of silence where neither of you spoke.

 

You studied the scuff marks on your shoes in great interest whilst Kai busied himself studying your facial features. 

A dainty and cute nose.

Rosy lips.

Dark, thick hair that framed your face.

Cold yet soft, innocent and naive brown eyes- cold no doubt because of everything you had suffered with.

'Haneul-'

'Here's your cake stand! We have an assortment of cream cakes with fruit and peach and oh, this one is pandan here. Over here are the chocolate cakes: orange truffle, fudge, honey caramel. Oh and these are the fruit and nut cakes so there are things like carrot cake and almond cake and lemon cake here. Oh right and these are-'

'I think we can see those for ourselves.' Kai said through his teeth, 'please let us eat in peace'

'Thank you' you said curteously

'He seems to have taken a liking to you, Haneul' said Kai darkly

'Mmhm, seems like it.' you replied feeding him a piece of almond cake.

Kai chewed and swallowed as you did the same before looking at each other and both shaking your heads. 

'Not this one.'

'Definitely not.'

This routine carried on for a while until there was a slice of strawberry mousse with a chocolate biscuit base and sort of raspberry glaze over the top. Your face lit up and Kai laughed once he had swallowed his portion. 

'I suppose you like that one the most.'

'It's a very good cake you know...' you said, 'Wow. I want more of that one.'

'More of the berry mousse for you, Miss?' said the waiter, breezing by.

At this point, Kai was extremely agitated. He had been watching the waiter study you from the bar and now it seemed like he was going to make a move.

'I'll give it to you on the house since you're so pretty.'

You blushed a deep red that even Kai had to admit made you look rather cute. 'No, it's okay. I don't want you to get in trouble.'

'Oh you won't. My dad owns this place.'

'Really?'

'Yeah! You know, I recognised you from last time when you came in with that tall, muscly guy. Is he your boyfriend?'

'Oh no, oppa is just a friend. He's like my brother. He takes care of me.'

'I see. I'm Jiho, by the way.'

'Nice to meet you. I'm Haneul and this is Kai.'

Jiho nodded to Kai who simply gave him a half-arsed grunt in response. 

'I'll go get you a slice of that cake, okay? One for you and for Kai.'

'Gosh, you're so nice! Thank you Jiho-ssi!'

'No problem, Haneul-ssi.'

He flounced off, zigzagging his way through the table to reach the bar. Kai stood up which suprised you but he held his phone in his hand.

'Phone call?' you asked

'No. Loo break. Gotta go.'

You laughed, 'come back quickly. I don't want to start eating again without you.'

'I'll be quicker than quick.'

 

Once Kai had come out of the mens, he found himself blocked by Jiho who had come back from serving the cake to you. 

'I see you like Haneul-ssi.'

'Yeah. I do.' Kai said simply, 'Why?'

'You should let her know soon, that's all. I've given her my number. She took it rather willingly.'

'Oh... Really?...' 

Kai's tone of voice was sassy and sarcastic. Everything Jiho hated.

'Yeah. Watch out, Kai.'

Kai pushed past him and sat back down at the table. You noticed he looked a little flustered and raised this concern.

'Are you alright, oppa?'

'Yeah, I'm fine. Never better actually.'

'Try your slice!'

'How about you feed me?'

'Kai was determined to showed Jiho he meant business. He just hoped you would oblidge. You looked at him oddly but picked up your fork and fed him a mouthful anyway. Kai finished it with a satisfied , making sure Jiho had witnessed the scene. The said waiter immediately began to make his way over and in the unlucky timing that it was, Kai recieved a phone call. 

 

'Oppa... Your phone.' you said, pointing to Kai's pocket that was vibrating and flashing.

He sighed and whipped it out, taking himself outside to answer the call. 

'Oh, hello Jiho' you said as the waiter came and sat down in Kai's seat.

'Enjoying it?'

'It's great, thank you so much.'

'It's not a problem. You will call me, won't you?'

'Yes, of course!' you replied with enthusiasm. 

'And we can meet up?'

'Sure!'

Kai burst back in and hauled you up.

'Oppa?'

'Haneul. Time to go.'

'But-'

'Now.'

'What? Why?'

'Jeez, calm down Kai. I didn't think you'd be that over-protective. We're only talking-'

'Pipe down, Jiho.'

'Kai?' you said

'It's Suho. We need to get back home.'

He slammed down a few notes onto the table, 'keep the change Jiho' and ushered you out. 

You began running to the taxi stand, only stopping at a bin to throw something away. Kai was about to yell at you to leave it but he realised what you were chucking.

It's Jiho's phone number... That's my girl.

 

Once in the taxi, you asked Kai what was going on.

'Haneul, you know those vitamins we said Suho was prescribed?'

'Yeah?'

'They weren't vitamins. They were pills for fatigue and exhaustion. Suho's... Hyung's had an overdose. We're going to stop by Luhan to tell him then we're going to the hospital. He's... He's in intensive care right now.'

 

 


I'm seriously considering writing a different ending for each love line you know... I honestly can't choose. I mean, I have my idea in my head of who it will be but I have so many other ideas of how it could be someone else in the love line and ah, I want to write them all. 

So what do you think? Would you be happy if I wrote alternate endings for everyone?

 

HAPPY ONE YEAR WITH EXO GUYS!❤❤❤❤❤❤