The Comfort of Kai

That Girl, Which Boy?

When Jaemin pulled up to the university to drop you back, you noticed someone waiting by the trees for you. They beckoned you over and you followed.

'D.O?'

'Haneul, we need to talk'

'What's up?'

'Please change your mind. Please.'

'Are you talking about the whole moving thing? Listen, I've been thinking it over with Jaemin-oppa and-'

'I'm begging you to change your mind!'

You were shocked. This was D.O, the sanest of them all minus Xiumin, and here he was pleading with you.

'D.O...'

'We're falling apart, Haneul. God, I can feel it. Can't you?'

His hands were shaking.

'What are you saying?'

He had a crazed look in his eyes and you suddenly felt sorry for him: sorry for never helping him, sorry for being a bad person and leaving him, sorry for only ever saying 'good morning' and never asking if he was okay. He looked battered emotionally and mentally.

'Since Luhan left, we've been in trouble. We hold each other together and with just one person out of the formation, look what's happened...'

'Oppa, I-'

'I can't let you leave. Even if Suho and Kris and everyone else say that you should, I'll object!' He shouted

'Oppa, stop! You're scaring me!'

 

You began to cry and he immediately returned to his usual expression. He lost the demented look and hugged you closely.

'Oh Haneul, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to make you upset... It's just I-'

'What would you do?...' You said hoarsely. 'What would you do if you were me? You know that I love you guys.'

D.O wished you could have repeated that sentence without adding 'guys' onto the end.

'I love you all so so much. It's hard you know. I'm at my wits end trying to think of what to do'

'It's simple, Haneul. Just stay. You would never have thought of moving if Sunsengnim hadn't brought it up last night.'

'But that's not true. Even when I first came, I felt like a burden to you guys. I feel so guilty seeing you get into all these horrible situations just because of me. I mean, how long did it take to get rid of the tomato stains on Kris' uniform last year? A few hours? A few days?'

'You... You remember that?'

'Of course I remember! You hurt your back from bending over it and scrubbing so much!' You said in tears

'But that's not your fault. If they hadn't thrown them-'

'What if I had never met you guys? Then you would never have to run around worrying about the trouble I'd get into. What if I had just died along with my family?!'

'Don't you ever say that!'

'Oppa...'

'No. Don't ever say that. I lost all the family I knew but I have you. I have the guys. I have ssaem. I'm making do with life.'

'Even still, do you know how much it hurts when I see you all getting injured for me? I can't carry on like this'

'What makes you think you won't carry on the same way when you move in with Taejoon?'

'I-'

'Are you just going to throw us away if you move back in with him? If we're in trouble, will you come to us? Are you going to care?'

'Of course I'll care! Nothing's going to change!'

'Then why bother leaving?!'

You were startled by his shout and as it happened, Kai came running.

'Hyung, what's wrong?'

He took in the situation. You were crying and D.O was panting as if he was out of breath.

'Hyung... Let's take you upstairs so you can rest, okay? Come on, we can deal with cooking until you feel up to it again.'

Kai waggled his finger and you took D.O under his right shoulder whilst Kai took the left and together, you walked back up to the dorm. You said nothing as the boys watched you head straight into your room and slam the door shut.

 

After 10 or so minutes of head on bed crying, your door opened. You didn't dare turn around and see who the intruder was.

'Haneul-ah, are you alright?'

It was Kai.

'Can I stay here with you?'

You nodded, face still buried in your mattress. Kai perched himself at the edge of your bed and carefully your hair. It calmed you down so much so that the bed stopped shaking from your crying.

'Haneul, will you look at me?'

You shook your head.

'Then can you tell me what's wrong?'

You shook your head again before reasoning with yourself. You sat up but faced away from Kai. You looked up at the photos on your wall of you with everyone in your new life in Korea. Your eyes slowly trailed to the photos of your old life though. They were full of happiness. You were surrounded by family and friends and although you were more than grateful for your new family, you couldn't help but feel like a burden to them.

'Haneul?'

You gazed out of the window onto the courtyard.

'I feel guilty...'

'Talk to me'

'...I don't know what to do. I don't want to stay here because I feel like I'm taking advantage of you'

'You're not taking advantage of us'

'I knew you'd say that'

'But its the truth. Haneul, will you please turn around?'

You shook your head and sniffed. 'I look ugly at the moment.'

'How is that even possible? Are you... crying?...'

You turned around to see a shocked Kai sitting a foot away from you.

'Oh Haneul, come here'

 

He outstretched his arms and you willingly went and sat next to him. He put one arm around you and held your hand with the other. 

'What should I do?'

'What do you think is best?'

'That I go...'

'Really?'

'...No.'

Kai laughed. 'You're just burbling nonsense now, Haneul.'

'That's because I don't know what to do.'

'What did Jaemin tell you to do?'

'He told me to stay.'

'And what did hyung tell you to do?'

'He also told me to stay...'

'So what is your heart telling you to do?'

'Listen.'

'Well then. That's settled it. You're not moving out.'

'But-'

'No buts. You're not going anywhere. We want you to stay with us. You are most definitely not a burden and we love you unconditionally. Therefore, you must stay with us forever.'

'And what do I tell Taejoon?'

'Don't worry about it. Lay already went and spoke to him this afternoon telling him you had changed your mind.'

'He did what?!' you choked.

Kai smirked. 'We knew you'd change your mind anyway. Might as well not let the idea settle any longer in Taejoon's head.'

'You guys!!'

'What?'

'I can't believe you'd do that.'

'It was Lay!' Kai said defensively, 'besides, hasn't it helped you out of a sticky situation?'

'Fair enough, yes.'

'Exactly. So what do you say?'

'Thank you?'

'Thank you what?'

'Thank you, oppa?'

'There we go.'

 

The was a knock at the door. The sound of Seohee's voice rang in. 

'Haneul-ah, it's me. I made you all dinner when I heard D.O-ssi was ill. Come on out when you're ready.'

Kai stood up and held out his hand. 

'Shall we?'

You took it and followed him out. Everyone had gathered around the table and was busy digging in. Seohee was carefully feeding Chen and you soon noticed that they were the only two at ease. A rattle came from the kitchen and you looked to see who it was. 

'Where do you guys keep your cups?'

'They're in the 3rd cupboard from the right, hyung.' said Sehun

'Oh right! Got them!'

Taejoon walked out of the kitchen expertly holding 4 cups in his hands. You froze when he saw you. 

Oh .

 

 



Did I make you cry? Was it a tear-jerker? Do you now ship D.O or Kai? Yes? Ok, good.