Eating Sharpeners

That Girl, Which Boy?

After breakfast, Lay took a skype phone call from Huiling before leaving. It turned out she had to stay a little longer due to a few complications. He seemed a little upset to you, judging from his behaviour. You had walked into his room to tell him you were ready to leave and he was lying on his bed sighing deeply as he stared up at the ceiling.

'Lay? Shall we go now?' 

'Hmm?' 

'I'm ready... Shall we go?' 

'Oh. Right. Yeah' 

The 10 minute bus ride into town consisted of silence and as you walked through the winding street stalls of the fabric market in Dongdaemun, you couldn't help but feel rather angry. Lay was making you become the most agitated you had ever been.

Unenthusiastic? Disinterested? Completely and utterly bored? Rather be on a walk alone?

You on your teeth like a sulky child.

Lay, what the heck is going through your mind right now? Are you like this because Huiling is gone? She's got that much of an effect on you, huh? Why are being such a jerk? Being around Huiling who you evidently like means you have to be horrid to every other girl? Psh.

You were always 4 steps behind him, no matter how fast or slow you walked. If you sped up, he did too as if to avoid you. If you slowed down, he also did too but this was to make sure you were safe and close by at all times. It was as if he was an insecurely attached baby that was torn between wanting to be near the mother and wanting to get away. Now and then you'd see something that caught your eye and would call for Lay to come over and take a look.

'Lay! Lay! How about this one? Lay! Yah! Over here!'

Lay, seemingly in his own world, would turn back and walk towards you. He'd then shake his head. He never spoke and once he had given his verdict, he'd carry on walking.

How infuriating can you be? Can't you at least say something?

Eventually, you started to get irritated and chased him down, grabbing onto his shirt and slapping him hard on the back.

This was when Lay snapped.

 

'What the hell, Haneul?! , that really hurt!'

His tone took you by surprise.

'Oh come on, how could that have hurt!'

'I'm being serious! Stop messing around!'

'But... It wasn't that hard though...'

'Are you forgetting I have a ton of ugly whip marks on my back? Ones that will never disappear? Ones that reopen and bleed every few months?! Why the heck are you playing around like this for?! What are you?! A five year old?!'

You stopped and stared at him, mouth agape and jaw trembling in fury.

'Of course I haven't fogotten! Why are you yelling at me?! What have I done?!'

'Because you're infuriating! Okay, Haneul?! Infuriating! Annoying! A nuisance! What made you think it was okay to hit me like that?!'

'If you hadn't been plainly ignoring me and trying to avoid me all day then I would have had to do that! You're making such a big deal out of nothing, Lay!'

'You think being beaten up isn't a big deal?! You think being left in a fire to die is nothing?!'

'Are you crazy?! That's not what I said-'

'What the 's happened to you before in your life?!'

'Oh! Oh! Oh I don't know! Maybe having my entire family murdered and never getting to say goodbye to them?! Having to move to Korea to escape a group of murderers on the hunt for me?! Having my only family member left die for me?! How does that sound?! Why the hell are you turning on me all of a sudden?! Would you rather be on a walk by yourself or something because I'm bloody well not stopping you!'

Lay opened his mouth to argue back and you slapped him hard.

'Do you know how it feels to have you ignore me all day like I'm a worthless piece of ?! If you didn't want to come then you should have said so this morning! I'm sorry I've been an inconvenience to you all day!'

Your hand was still burning when you marched off feeling more than anger. There was a deep pain in your chest, the type you get when you argue with your best friend and you feel guilty afterwards. Lay ran after you and pulled you back.

'Haneul, wait I'm sorry. Really, I'm so sorry. I-'

'Just off, Lay!' You screamed in his face, 'I don't care if you're sorry now! I don't know what the hell has happened to you recently but for Christ's sake, don't you treat me like ! If I'm so annoying then go do the ing curtain shopping yourself! Go do it with Huiling if you like! Seeing as she's had this much effect on you!'

'Oh God Haneul, what the hell are you talking about now?!'

'You used to be so nice and so sweet and ever since she's moved in, you've been cold and harsh and moody and basically a real dickhead!'

'What's your problem?! What have you got against her?!'

'Nothing! Oh shut up, I'm not doing this with you when you're going to snap at me over the smallest little things. I'm going to find someone better to spend my day off with.

' 'Like who?'

'Anyone! Anyone's better company than you! D.O-oppa? Chanyeol? Kai?! What's it to you anyway?!'

You turned around and ran through the crowds, diving among the people. Lay thought to go after you but realising how angry you were, he figured it was best to leave you be. Turning to his right, he walked into the fabric stand he had been meaning to get to from the very beginning. 

'One of the usual, please' he said

The ahjumma began cutting the 3 metres worth of fabric and folded it neatly for him.

'Why were you arguing with your girlfriend, dear?' she asked as she was packing the material into a bag

'She's not my girlfriend.'

'Then friend. Why were you two arguing?'

'I tried to make up with her...' '

'But didn't you start the fight?' 

'... Yeah, I guess it was me... God, I've been horrible to her all day'

Lay handed over the money to the lady and as she gave him the change, she smiled.

'If you love her, make sure she knows. Otherwise she might run off with those other oppas she was talking about'

'I don't know if I love her'

'Well I'd figure it out soon, dear. You might lose her forever if you take too long.'

 

***

 

Lay returned back to the dorm where he took out the sewing kit and began cutting and stitching up the material. You instead made your way to the hospital.

'Who are you here to see?'

'Kim Joonmyun, please. Suho?' 

'Ah right. Are you his sister?' 

'As good as' 

The nurse led to to Suho's room and let you in. Suho's face lit up upon your arrival.

'Haneul!' 

'Hi' 

'Visiting hours end at 3PM.' said the nurse

'Thanks' 

You sat down on the chair next to Suho's bed where he was sat cross legged with the morning paper in his lap. He had a pen behind his ear and numbers all over his hand.

'I'm not crazy. It's just Sudoku.' he said when he saw you eyeing his left hand curiously, 'Literally a pen is the only thing they let me near. I'm not even allowed a pencil.'

'Why not?' 

'In case I stab myself to death' Suho winked

'But... You could stab yourself with a pen...' 

'But with a pencil, you need a pencil sharpener; and with a pencil sharpener, you get a blade.' 

'But that blade wouldn't kill you...' 

'Not unless I eat it.' 

'Eat... it?...' 

'I'm joking! Don't worry, Haneul. I'm just joking with you. It's kind of suffocating being in here so I've gone a bit mad' 

'When do you come out?' 

'In a few days. Probably when Miss Huiling comes back. Talk about a busy dorm, right?' 

You nodded, 'yeah, I can hardly breathe in there at the moment.' 

'Why? What's been happening?' 

'Lay's just irritating me in a way he's never done so before. Even before when D.O kinda of changed when he was with Shinyeong, he didn't make me so angry' 

'You just want everything back to normal, right?' 

You nodded, 'that's exactly it! I'm happy Luhan's back and now you're coming back but I can't deal with anymore drama going on. It's getting a bit much.' 

'Ignore Lay. He was always like this before you arrived. To be honest, he changed when you came along and from the sound of it, he's slowly converting back to his old self.' 

'Well his old self is rude and horrid.' 

'He's been through a lot, we can't blame him. Sometimes, he just really doesn't know what to do with himself and he'll get irritated over anything. Then he'll have a fit, calm down and be back to normal. We found out about you about two weeks before you actually arrived in Korea and knowing he'd have to be a friend to a girl, he started going on those walks of his. He thinks a lot when he takes a walk. That's why we leave him to it. It's healthy for him.' 

'Is there really that much to think about?'

'There must be for him.'

'He did say he wanted to go on a walk this morning but Kris ended up ruining the dorm and he got dragged out with me to do curtain shopping. Is that why he was in a bad mood? Because he yelled and screamed at me and said a couple of really hurtful things' 

Suho nodded, 'I reckon there's something bottled up in him at the moment and he wanted to use today to think about it. Having you around must have made it harder for him to think.' 

'Gee. Thanks.'

'Take it as a compliment. Lay's only ever blown up at the people he's most comfortable with- usually Kris and Luhan.'

'So what you're saying is...' 

'He must feel pretty comfortable around you to scream at you like that.'

'Suho, did you ever think of becoming a psychologist?' 

'A psychologist? Why?' 

'You seem to study people's behaviour remarkably well.'

'For the boy that only ever studies, what else am I supposed to do when I've finished my homework?'

'Take a break, oppa. You overworked yourself' 

'I will.' Suho said, ruffling your hair, 'I know that now.'

 

 

 

 

 



SEND FORTH THOU COMMENTS.

COMMEND LAY OR CONDEMN LAY.

 

 

2nd note:WOLF MV TEASER! 

personally I cringed hard and found it so awkward to watch bcause the entire time I was sat there thinking 'oh my god, imagine how they felt filming that oh my god cringe cringe cringe' and I WANTED A FLOWER BOY CONCEPT NOT A DARK CONCEPT but hey poodle baekhyun is so cute so that kind of makes up for the awkward teaser.......... actually I hate vampire/twilighty concepts so no, it doesn't make up for it

(just my personal opinion. I just find it weird if I can imagine they felt weird filming it.... you know, snarling at the camera all WEIRD and crawling on the floor VERY WEIRD and red eyes and pulling WEIRD screamo faces ah it just didn't do it for me, hot guys pretending to be wolves = what nursery kids do when all they want to grow up to be is a dog)

^that is such a bad piece of writing wow, does any of that even make sense (no)