Your Words Bring Doubt

Can't You Care A Little?

 

“So I’m just like a napkin. Used and dirty, ready to be thrown out?” I hate this guy. I wonder if he’s the reason Youngmin never smiled.

“That’s right. If you understand, leave.” He took out his wallet. “I’ll give you money to find a place to stay. Don’t let him find you even if he tries to call.” He stuffed a stack of bills in my hand forcibly.

“And if I don’t want to leave.” He smiled. Oh, not that fake smile…

“You should do as you’re told. Go now.” I have to leave… “Make sure he doesn’t see you.”

“See what?” We both looked towards the stairs where the voice came from, seeing Youngmin.

“Not much.” His father lied, motioning to me to leave quickly.

“Hm? Sohyun where are you going?” He asked when I started to leave.

“Just…for some air.” I quickly walked out.

 

Youngmin POV

I started to follow her. “Youngmin, let her go.” I turned to my father. “She doesn’t like you and wants to live by herself.” I scoffed.

“Don’t lie.”

“Really. She doesn’t want to stay with you.” I don’t believe that. But then again I have no idea what she’s been thinking lately…

“I’ll go ask her personally.” He grabbed me arm.

“Just accept your rejection. Aren’t you a man?”

“Oh, don’t play that card, father.” I left before he could say anything else. Sohyun was still outside, walking. “Getting some air?” I asked.

“Ah…yeah. I’ll stay a while longer, you should go back inside.” She said. She looked a bit jumpy.

“So, do you understand now?”

“Hm?” I pulled her into a hug. “O-oh. I am wanted, yes, I get it.” She stuttered, pushing me away.

 

Sohyun POV

He smiled. I wonder if he realizes it… “Well, we should go back inside now.”

“Actually I wanted to go into town to…buy some things.”

“Oh. I can come with you.” He offered.

“You’re so recognizable… I’ll go by myself.” I smiled. Sorry, Youngmin…

“I can just wear a wig.” So persistant…

“Don’t worry, I can go on my own!” I acted cheerfully. There would definitely be some drama if Youngmin found out what his father said to me.

“How stubborn…Fine. See you later.” He smiled, going back into the house. Although I want to keep seeing his smile, I should leave now…

I left, going to Hyunseong’s house. I don’t think I can go back to Hea Jung’s and I know one of them has Kyung too. A maid dropped me off.

“Eh!? Sohyun-ah?!” Hyunseong’s eyes widened as he opened the door. He gripped my shoulders, checking me over. “You’re okay, right?!” I nodded. He hugged me so tight. “Thank God you’re fine!”

 

Youngmin POV

I looked at the clock. She’s been gone for a long time now. It’s already night… I called her cellphone. No answer. She didn’t get caught by reporters somehow did she? I called her again. No response again, it just keeps ringing until it goes to message.

“So, what are you doing, Youngmin?” My father sat next to me.

“Calling Sohyun. She’s not back yet and it’s getting late.” I started redialing her number. I was kind of worried.

“You should give up. I already told you, she doesn’t like you.”

“Don’t instill your own opinions on Sohyun’s image.”

“I’m not. She told me she wasn’t going to come back today. She even asked for money to find a place to stay.” What? How can he lie that much? “If you don’t believe me, why isn’t she answering her phone? She even seemed eager to leave before.”

“Just stop.” …That’s true, but… I don’t think she would just leave with a lie.

“Well, you can wait for her all night, but she isn’t coming; I suggest you leave her alone.” He left with a mischievous smile. He can’t be serious. I tried calling her again. This time, rather than ringing, it went straight to message.

She doesn’t want to talk to me.

Does she still think that I don’t care about her? I kept thinking about what my father said. He might be right… I don’t want to believe that she dislikes me enough to move out secretly…

 

Sohyun POV

“Thanks for understanding and letting me stay here, Hyunseong-ah.” I had told Hyunseong the whole story with Youngmin’s father.

“Of course! I can’t leave you in the streets.” He smiled. We ate some dinner and were about to sleep. I feel bad for lying to Youngmin… I hope he just lets it go for today.

“Hello?” Hyunseong was on the phone. “Umm… I do know, but I don’t think I should tell you. Yeah, but…she doesn’t want you to know… I know! I know! Why don’t you ask her?! Oh yeah… Well, you should just wait for her to tell you? I don’t know what you should do.”

He kept talking. It sounds kind of serious.

“Eh? N-No…she’s not…Really! D-Don’t! I…have guests over right now and don’t want you barging in! She’s probably fine, don’t worry!” He hung up, sighing in frustration.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, curiously.

“Youngmin-ah is like super worried about you. He thinks I was lying and have you here. He almost even came over!”

“Wah! He can’t know. Should I call him or something??”

“Then he’ll just keep worrying and will come get you. Just don’t say anything, okay?” I agreed, getting ready to sleep.

The doorbell rang. It…it can’t be him, right? Hyunseong quietly crept up to the door, trying to silently look through the peep hole. He frantically motioned his hands for me to run. I went to hide.

 

Youngmin POV

Hyunseong opened the door. I barged in. “I know she’s here. Where are you hiding her?”

“Whoa now, what are you talking about?” He pretended to be clueless. I scoffed.

“Where’s Sohyun? She’s here, right?”

“Nope… She’s staying somewhere else.”

“And where is that?” He paused.

“She’s at friend’s house.” Lies.

“So, mean your house.” I walked past him, looking around. There was a closed door, I opened it.

“Yah! She’s not here!” He said, trying to block me from entering the room.

“Tch. You’re so obvious.” I shoved him out of the way, going into the room. I opened the closets. She has to be here somewhere.

“I could call the police on you right now!” He yelled.

“Like you really would.” I kept searching the place.

“I’m serious!” He took out his phone.

“What a bad threat…” I grumbled, continuing my search.

He cleared his throat. “Youngmin-ah.” He lowered his voice. “Why do you want to find her so bad?”

“What are you saying?! I’m so worried about her!”

“R-Really? What would you do if you found her?” He asked quietly.

“Take her back of course.” He scratched his head.

“What if she couldn’t go back?”

“What?”

“What if she was just trying to help you?”

“Who helps by leaving? I need her.”

“Why?”

“Hyunseong-ah.” I looked at him. He understood. “Where is she?” He pointed to a different room, walking me over to a bed. He motioned to the underside of it. I bent down, seeing Sohyun, wide-eyed and staring at me.

 

“Sohyun, why are you here?” I asked her seriously.

“I… I can’t come to a friend’s house?”

“You shouldn’t at this time of night!” I sighed. “Let’s go.”

“No.” No?

“Why?”

“Idon’t want to.”

“You don’t like me?” My father’s words entered my mind again. She bit her lip, but kept her eyes on mine.

“That’s right.”