You're Different Now?

Can't You Care A Little?

 

Sohyun POV

“So who else do you remember?” the lady came back.

“What, am I supposed to forget people?”

“No, it’s just that, you seem like you may have.” What is she saying? “Anyway, do you recognize these?” She had a picture with a baby and kitten in it.

“That,” I pointed to the cat, “I think it’s mine?” I looked at the baby's photo, “That’s not mine, right?” She glanced at the doctor.

“How about this man?” She held another picture. It was a kind of old man with in a suit. Who is that? “I guess not then…” she put the photos down, “I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

She left; I looked at all the pictures she had. I took Hea Jung, Hyunseong, and Jin-Sang’s pictures. I wonder when I can see them again. I feel like it’s been a really long time since I saw them. But this person I looked at Youngmin’s photo. I didn’t want to touch it. It’s his fault. He put me in that room, with all the noise and he even…I just don’t want to see him.

 

Youngmin POV

So, she’s confused about the things involving me? She couldn’t really recognize Kyung or Bagels well… But she seems to hate me or she’s scared or something.

“Now, I want you to come in with me and we’ll all talk together.” The doctor motioned for me to come.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea…” I mentioned skeptically.

“It has to be done.” We both went in. Sohyun’s eyes widened when she saw me.

“Sohyun-shi--” I started to say.

“Stay away.” She spoke defensively.

“Don’t you remember me?” I asked sadly.

“You hurt me, how could I forget?”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“But you did!” She covered her ears.

“You don’t want to hear me?” I asked her.

“The noise; it keeps coming when I see you.” She clenched her head. I-It’s just like when we were at the house, when she screamed in the corner. I told the lady about how similar it was to before the fire.

“She’s associating you with the noise.” The psychologist believed, “What did you usually do when she did this?”

“I would try and comfort her with an embrace, but she would scream. I had to block out her screams with my hands.”

“That’s probably why. I understand that you had to make sure she wasn’t heard, but that must have really affected her. I’m not sure about how she felt towards you before that, but that incident may have appeared as you against her in her mind. We shouldn’t just assume, but that’s most likely the case.”

I shouldn’t have done that, but I did. We went back to Sohyun. She backed away, moving into a corner of the room. I think she finds comfort in corners. She’s always in corners now that I notice it.

 

“Sohyun-shi, I won’t hurt you. Please don’t run away.” I said, walking over to her. She flinched, arming herself with whatever was nearby.

“D-Don’t come closer!” She yelled. The physcologist tried this time.

“Sohyun-shi, he won’t touch you if you don’t want him to. He’s trying to help you.”

“With what?! Making my feel scared?!” She didn’t want to listen.

“No, he’s your friend! He’s your husband!”

“I know what he’s supposed to be! He’s not close to me at all! How can he be a real husband when he doesn’t even call me by name?!” she questioned.

“Sohyun! I can call you that easily because we’re close! We have a child and even live together now!” I couldn’t hold myself back.

“D-Don’t lie! We don’t have a child together!”

“Yes, we do! His name is Kyung, he has my looks and--”

“Stop it!” She yelled, crouching down. “You’re not my husband. How could you hurt me otherwise!?” she screamed, confused.

“I didn’t mean to hurt you. I’m so sorry, Sohyun! …Please forgive me.” I said, having to leave to room before I did anything else to hurt her.

 

Why is it like this…? I didn’t mean to hurt her; I was trying to protect both of us…maybe I was just protecting myself…

The psychologist quickly came out. “I think you and Sohyun-shi should talk, one on one.”

“What?! She doesn’t even want to admit that I’m her husband or look at me. What should I even say?”

“I think you should calmly explain the situation to her, tell her more about yourself. I don’t think she’ll accept you otherwise.” It’s worth a shot. I think I’m more scared than her right now. What if Sohyun never wants to see me again? I…don’t want that to happen.

I went in. She remained in the corner. “Sohyun, let’s sit down.”

“Why?” She was so defensive.

“We should talk.”

“There’s no reason to.” How stubborn… I sat in a chair.

“I guess I’ll just sit here until we talk.” After about 10 minutes she gave in. She sat in a chair across from me.

“What do you want?” she asked.

“Let’s just talk,” I offered, trying not to upset her, “I…I wasn’t trying to hurt you. I didn’t want either of us to get hurt.” I started saying. She crossed her arms. “I had to keep you hidden, but you started acting differently. I had to make sure no one heard you. If they did you would have been hurt much more than what I had to do.” I tried to reason with her.

“I changed? How so?” She got more interested.

“You…You used to smile and laugh a lot. We had a good relationship in my opinion, but then your eyes… They started losing life, your face started to lose color. You became lifeless. Then you started clenching your head, blocking out noise…”

 “I changed that much…?”

“Yeah. You used to be so lively…”

 

Sohyun POV

He’s smiling…I wonder if he notices. I do remember him. I remember the times we shared. He’s the one…from that time. I know how I felt about him…I think I liked him… I know he would hold me still when I screamed. I can’t recollect everything though. He seems like the person I liked. I know we have a child and a kitten, but I just can’t get that noise out of my head. It won’t leave and it comes back when I see his face. He must be bad then…? I don’t know what to do. But I still remember him from long ago…he’s different now.

“Sohyun.”

“Y-Yes?”

“Do you hate me now?” He asked sadly.

“I-I don’t know…I want to believe you’re a nice person, but my brain keeps thinking about…” He stood up.

“What can I do to make it up to you?” He asked.

“How should I know…?” He walked closer to me. I stood up, backing away a little.

“Please don’t move away. Stand still.” I tried not to recoil when he took another step.

“S-Stop.” He was only a foot away from me. He reached his hand out to me, touching my shoulder. I tried not slapping him away. He pulled me to him, putting his arms around me.

“I don’t know how I’m supposed to help you. All I know is that I want to hold you and make you feel better.” He said, hugging me tight. I gripped his arm, trying to push him away. He kept his hold on me. “Can’t you just stay still right now?” His voice sounded so desperate. I stayed motionless. He let go soon. “I’m sorry…” I could see his eyes starting the water. “I’ll see you in a while, okay?” He left quickly.

Why can’t I remember what a nice person he probably was… I can only think of the bad parts, like when we met; he was emotionless. It seems like he’s changed a lot. He said I did too…

I sat down, determined to remember his good points. He would sit next to me every day after work. Sometimes he bought me things. He protected me from that girl that was stalking him… He kissed her.

No, no. Don’t think about that. I believe I forgave him for that; it was a misunderstanding.

He tried to hide the kitten from me so he could train him. He would come home early and I would be so happy. He would crouch in front me, looking like he wanted to cry.

He would smile only to me.

 

Youngmin POV

I can’t get mad, I can’t be sad, I have to help her. I’ll make sure she’s back to normal; I swear I’ll heal her.

I went back inside. She stared at me. “Youngmin-shi…” She’s using my name now.

“Sohyun.” I was thinking of what to do.

“Can we go home?” she asked me.

“Um…I don’t think we can…” The house was one fire, I don’t think it’s undamaged. “I can take you to a different house though.”

“But I want to go back home…”

“We can’t, but for now, we can go to another place I know.”

“Okay.” I hope I’m making the right decision, this is the only place I can think of, but he’s there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is Youngmin taking her? So Sohyun remembers him, but I feel like she's keeps refering to something from the past?? I don't know if I'm just imagining it haha

If you have anything to say, feel free to do so~ ^^