What are You Trying to Say?

Can't You Care A Little?

 

We left the hospital without seeing any reporters and drove to my other house, my father’s house. It’s the only place I can go to right now. I don’t want her to see him, he’ll have so many questions, but I have to don’t I?

We went up to the door. Sohyun kept looking around curiously. I’ve never brought her here, she did used to come here when she was really young, but she probably doesn’t remember anymore.

A maid opened the door. “Youngmin-shi? Have you decided to live here instead?!” She questioned excitedly. My father always wanted me to just live here, but I wanted to live away from him and…this area.

“I want to let Sohyun stay here temporarily.” She lead us inside happily.

“YOUNGMIN!” I saw my father come down the stairs. “I heard about what happened! Are you okay?” Me?

“Sohyun is fine. Can she stay here for a while?” I asked dully.

“I suppose. You should stay too. You don’t have a place to go and Jin-Sang doesn’t either.” He was right.

“But me and Sohyun shouldn’t be seen together.” I noticed the maid had already taken Sohyun upstairs.

“No one will see you out here; that’s the advantage of living here.” He lives out of the city, a private lot. “And you should take some time off; the rumors can die down then.”

“Can’t I just reveal Sohyun now?” I asked.

“No! Your image will immediately go down!” he yelled. I felt mad, but I bore with him for today.

“Fine. I want to spend time with her anyway.”

“Why? You don’t need to.”

“She was just involved with such a trauma! How can I not want to be with her?!” He has to be insane not to understand!

“I suppose so. Well, she can stay here and you can too. Is the child safe?”

“He’s fine. I’m going to go find Sohyun.” How can he act so emotionless?! I found Sohyun in my old room. She was staring around.

 

“Sohyun? Are you okay?” I asked. She looked confused.

“Yeah… I’ve been in this room before…?” She thought to herself.

“Well, you did used to come by when you were younger.” I remember seeing Sohyun back then. She always smiled to me. I remember a lot about her…but I don’t remember much about myself. She always used to come on Sundays…

“Really? Did I have fun?” she wondered curiously.

“I guess.”

“Well, I’m tired, can I go to sleep here?”

“Uh, yeah, sure.” I left. Sohyun… She did have fun here…for a while…

*

“Youngmin-ah!” Ugh…it’s that girl again; my fiancé. She hugged me tight. “How are you doing?” she asked cheerfully.

“Studying.” So annoying.

“Really? We should go play!” She had an idiotic smile.

“I don’t want to.”

“Why?” she asked cluelessly.

“I don’t like you! Now go away!” I yelled at her. She stayed silent and left.

She came back the next Sunday. “Youngmin-ah, do you want to play something?” she asked, popping her head into the room.

“No, leave.” She left quietly. She finally gets it after a whole year that I don’t want to play with her. She must be pretty slow, but at least she’s not completely stupid.

She came in the next Sunday again. She peered in, looking at me. She just left before I looked up.

The next Sunday, she didn’t even look through the crack of the door.

After a few more Sundays, I felt almost bothered that she had stopped coming in at all. Where is that idiot? I got up from my books, looking around for her.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?!” I heard a loud slam. I walked towards the noise, seeing something I wish I didn’t. “Can’t you just get him to like you?! What a useless girl!” I saw my father slap Sohyun. She looked at him with tears rolling down her cheeks, but she didn’t budge, keeping a strong straight face.

“He doesn’t want to. I can’t help you fix your son.” She replied coldly. He hit her again. Fix me? What’s wrong with me?

“You’re a kid too, aren’t you? You should be able to fix him!” he yelled at her. She just glared.

“What a horrible parent.” She said in disgust. He slapped her again. I didn’t want to keep watching. That idiot’s really stubborn…

“You’re a bad fiancé. I knew I shouldn’t have chosen your family’s child to marry my son. Just a bunch of beggars.”

“Don’t…” her voice got even colder. “Don’t talk about them like that.” She said turning for the door. She shot me a stare before walking out.

“Oh, Youngmin, were you there?” my father asked with a smile.

“Is something wrong with me? Why did you hurt her?” I asked.

“Nothing’s wrong with you, of course! She just didn’t follow my orders, so I had to tell her to.”

“You can tell people with words, not hands.” I said, leaving. I went outside. People would cry after something like that, right? I wandered around, finding her sitting against the wall outside.

 

Our eyes met. She broke our connection, staring into the sky.

“How am I supposed to fix you?” she talked to herself.

“What?”

“You’re so emotionless… You don’t smile or like to play. What am I supposed to do? Your own father doesn’t even know anything…” she sighed.

“Smiling… That’s my problem?”

“Do you think they were beggars too?” she looked at me, “My family? They did dump me here, and it was probably for money. Maybe I was just unwanted and disgusting. No one seems to want me, and I’m just bounced around.” She thought. I was going to say something, but she stood up first. “Well then, I’ll see you next Sunday,” She smiled, “Hope your studies go well.”

How can she smile after what just happened?

“You can stay.” I looked at her. She laughed a little.

“You’re funny.” She smiled as she left. Why was it funny? She’s weird.

 

Another Sunday passed, she should come today, right?

She never showed up or maybe she just didn’t come to see me. I left my studies, finding a frantic maid.

“What’s wrong?” I asked. She was freaking out.

“Oh, nothing, Youngmin-ah! I was just looking for something!” She bolted outside. It must be important… I walked around more. There was another frantic maid.

“Is something the matter?” I asked.

“Ah, Youngmin-ah! Have you seen Sohyun-ah around here?”

“No. Did she come today?”

“Yes, I just haven’t seen her lately.” She looked around nervously. So, she is here today. Probably playing around again.

I walked outside. I should probably find her, the maids seem worried. She doesn’t seem to be like the idiot I knew after what I saw last week. I found myself looking farther and farther away from the house. I started hearing noises and followed it.

 

My eyes widened. “What are you doing?!” I yelled as I stared up at her. She was climbing a huge tree. She was so high up, how did no one see her?!

“Well I couldn’t find any rope; this is probably the second best thing.” She said, climbing higher.

“To climb the tree, why do you need rope for that, and why do you even want to climb the tree?” She just laughed at my question.

“You’re so funny, Youngmin-ah. You should go back to studying, okay?” she climbed more.

“How is that funny?” I don’t get it.

“You really think I’m up here to climb this stupid tree?” She scoffed, “I thought you were a smart person.” She smiled down at me before climbing more.

“What? Why are you up there then?” I was confused.

“I needed rope to end it, but I couldn’t find any without alerting the maids. This height should be good enough right?”

“End it? Why do you want to go up so high?” She sighed.

“Geez. You’re too innocent. You don’t understand even now?” She sat on a thick branch, a good 40 feet in the air.

“I really don’t get it.” She rolled her eyes.

“I’m trying to kill myself. Is that clear enough for you?”

“What?! Are you stupid?! Why would you want to kill yourself?!” I yelled at her. She’s not serious is she?!

“Youngmin-ah…go back, no…don’t read any more books. Learn about people. Learn how the human brain works. When you do, you’ll understand why I want to do this.” She stood up on the branch.

 

“Stop! Don’t be an idiot!” She smiled sadly.

“I guess I’ll always be one.”

She jumped.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is getting real sad. I never knew Sohyun had a past like that with Youngmin...His dad is looking even worse to me now.