Chapter 56

99% Males 1% Females

            Lu Han was breathing heavily by the time he entered the house.  He quickly dropped his backpack on the sofa and headed into the kitchen, feeling guilty about forgetting. The smell of delicious food filled the air and his stomach started to growl.  Mia was already mixing the cake batter with the handheld electronic mixer.  She looked up from the mixing as he walked in.

            “Where were you?” asked Mia, as she stopped the mixer.

            Lu Han took in a few deep breathes before he could answer.  “I…  Was with Seohyun.” he replied, breathing heavily.

            Mia blinked in his direction.  Unsure of what that meant, Lu Han tried to explain himself.  “I’m so sorry, Mia.” he said, getting his breathe back.  “I-I totally forgot!”

            “It’s OK.” she said.  “I kinda figured that you were going to-” The doorbell ring interrupted her.  “I’ll get that.”

            Lu Han let out a sigh, as he walked over to the stove.  Mia made a ton of food.  From wonton soup to sweet vinegar spareribs, sweet stir fried lamb, pan fried dumplings, and sweet bean buns.  He his lips, hungrily. 

            “Oh, Mia~” he said, literally drooling from hunger.

            He quickly turned away, not wanting to be tempted to eat.  He knew well that Mia would be mad at him if he touched anything.  So, he walked towards the front door when Mia came back with Jonghyun.

            Lu Han flashed him a smile, although he was surprised.  “Hi, Jonghyun!” he said.

            “Hey, Lu Han!  I thought that you weren’t going to be here.” he replied.

            Lu Han’s face scrunched up, confused.  “What do-” he started.

            “Since you didn’t meet me on time, I decided to ask Jonghyun to help me decorate the cake when it’s done baking.” interrupted Mia, quickly.

            Lu Han turned to face her, taken back by what she said.  “Why didn’t you just call me?” he asked.  “That’s what cell phones are invented for…  Besides, it wasn’t like I turned off my phone or anything.”

            Mia simply shrugged her shoulders.  “I didn’t want to bother you.” she said.  “I know that you were with Seohyun and school is going to end soon, so I didn’t want to bother you.”

            Lu Han wanted to say something, but stopped himself.  He was upset that Mia would think that way…  He wanted to defend himself, but didn’t want Jonghyun to be standing there uncomfortably.  “Y-You shouldn’t say things like that…” he muttered, softly.  But, Mia didn’t hear what he said.

            She had already turned her attention to Jonghyun, as she grabbed his elbow.  Then, she turned to Lu Han with a smile and took his hand in her’s. 

            “You just call out my name…  And, I’ll come running, wherever I am, to see you again”, thought Lu Han.  God, Mia…  You don’t understand what you mean to me.

            She quickly pulled them towards the oven.  Mia made the boys sat down on the bar stool at the kitchen counter, as she poured the batter mix into the cake pan.  She was talking to Jonghyun excitedly about how they just needed to raise a few more hundred dollars to get a water tank for a small village in Uganda.

            Lu Han has been helping a lot lately with marketing strategies to get the campus involved with this fundraising project.  As far as he was aware, 3 other clubs on campus started collaborating a month ago.  But, according to Mia, they haven’t started any fundraising.  That disappointed her because she wanted to fundraise enough so a water tank will be built so then the people will at least have some water for the summer.

            “How much do you need?” asked Lu Han, curious.

            “Only about 500,000 wons.” replied Mia, as she glanced at the timer on her phone.

            The cake batter has been in the oven for a few minutes already.

            “Oh.” nodded Lu Han.  “Since it’s only 1 week before school is out, I don’t think that you’ll be able to fundraise in time…”

            Mia pouted as she looked down at the granite kitchen counter.  “I know…” she said.

            “It’s OK.” said Jonghyun, as he reached across the space between Mia and him.  He gently patted her hand.  “I know that you really wanted to get the water tank to them, but it might take months just to build it for them because they live in such a rural place.”

            Mia nodded her head, slowly as she looked up at Jonghyun with sad eyes and a frown.  She turned to Lu Han and let out a groan.  “Lu Han, have you seen Misty?” she asked.  He shook his head.  “I’m going to go find her to comfort me!”

            She quickly started walking towards the living room.  Lu Han followed her, wanting to make sure that she was fine.  Misty was sleeping soundly on the couch and Mia went and picked her up.  She rubbed her face into the cat’s soft, striped grey fur. 

            “Misty, do you have 500,000 wons that you’ve been stashing away?” asked Mia, into her cat’s fur.  “And, can you bring Mason home for Dad’s birthday?”

            Lu Han frowned, as he placed his hands in his pocket.  Why didn’t you just ask me?, he thought.  I would love to donate 500,000 wons to your charity and send my dad’s jet to Mason any day…  Gosh, Mia.  Don’t be so obnoxious.

            “Mia-ah, it’s OK.” comforted Jonghyun, from behind Lu Han.  “There’s always next semester for fundraising and…  Isn’t your family going to New York for Mason’s graduation?  You’ll see him and I’m sure he has something planned for missing your dad’s birthday.”

            Mia took a seat on the couch and placed Misty beside her.  She petted her cat, gently.  “True…  But, it’s so stressful thinking about everything.” she said.  “There’s finals, grades, graduations to attend, dance and vocal practices…  Gosh, everything is too much for the next 2 weeks!”

            Lu Han quickly looked over his shoulder at Jonghyun.  Mia had just talked about her dance and vocal lessons.  As far as he was concerned, no one else besides a few select, close people to Mia knows about her training.  He wasn’t even sure if Eunsung and Minyu knew about it.

            Jonghyun didn’t seem to react to her dance and vocal practices at all.  In fact, he looked like he didn’t like the mention of it at all.  His face scrunched up, in dislike when Mia mentioned it.  That made Lu Han curious.

            Does that mean that Jonghyun knows about Mia’s training?, he thought.  Well, Mia could have told me about telling him about it… 

            Lu Han let out a breath and was about to approach Mia when Jonghyun walked past him and up to her.  He watched as the guy leaned in close into her bubble.  He was literally a few inches away from her face as a smile spread across his lips.

            What is Jonghyun doing?!!!, thought Lu Han, alarmed.  He wanted to do something, but wasn’t sure what the guy was going to do.

            All the sudden, Jonghyun tickled Mia.  She jumped and let out a fit of childish giggles under Jonghyun’s hands.  It was scene that Lu Han has ever thought that he’d see Mia in.  She was laughing like…  Like some teenage girl in love.  Her sweet laughter was making Lu Han dizzy, as he leaned against the wall for support.

            “There!  Are you happy now?” asked Jonghyun, over the laughter.

            “S-Stop it!!” laughed Mia.

            He watched as Mia tried to push Jonghyun away.  He was laughing warmly as well.  She was successfully made him stop by taking a hold of his hands in hers.  Mia was breathing heavily into Jonghyun’s face.  From the way her eyes sparkle, it was obvious that she was genuinely happy.  Lu Han felt his heart race for a moment when he thought that the pair was actually going to share a kiss when Mia placed her hands on Jonghyun’s broad shoulders.  Well, she did that to push him away.

            Lu Han felt himself let out a breath of relief.  Thank, God, he thought.

 

 

            Jonghyun quickly left as soon as the cake was decorated.  As much as Mia begged for him to stay, he obliged.  He explained that this was a family event and it would not be a pretty sight to have an outsider part of the celebration.  To Lu Han’s dislike, Mia defended that he was there so it would have been fine if Jonghyun was there…  Which was implying that Lu Han was also just an outsider.  He quickly brushed it off, thinking that Mia was just being rash to make Jonghyun stay.

            Regardless, the young man took the exit…  And, in a way, Lu Han was happy about it.  He didn’t really like how the pair was acting around each other.  It wasn’t like they were excluding him or anything from what their conversation or anything…  But, he could see something budding between the two and he didn’t like it at all.

            Mr. Chung came home and was surprised to find all the food that Mia made.  She even skipped class to prepare everything ahead of time without his acknowledgement, which was something he wasn’t glad to hear about.  But, Mia didn’t care.  All she wanted was for her father to have a good birthday celebration.

            “I still don’t understand why you did that!  It’s unnecessary.” said Mr. Chung.

            “DAD!  It’s OK.” said Mia.  “Today was the last day of classes anyways.  There was nothing important to go to besides making sure the students knew the finals’ schedule.”

            Lu Han wanted to nod his head, but didn’t want to get in trouble.  So, he just continued to eat silently.  He couldn’t stop stuffing his face.  Mia was such a good cook.  Everything was so delicious that Lu Han was almost scared that his stomach might explode.

            Suddenly, he got a text.  He quickly slipped his hand into his pocket and pulled it out to look at it.  Seohyun: What if I got pregnant, will you marry me?  For a second, Lu Han almost choked on his food.  He quickly reread the text and swallowed hard.

            OK…  OK…  She’s NOT pregnant, thought Lu Han.  He took in a deep breath.  Why is she texting me this right now?  Seohyun, of all people, should know that I’m eating dinner and tonight is Mr. Chung’s birthday…  He quickly glanced at the time.  6:45 PM.  It was still dinner time for him.  Why is she being so rude?

            Lu Han quickly texted back, as he looked up at the family.  Mia and Mr. Chung were still going on about the importance of the last day of lectures.  Lu Han: Not right now, Seohyun…  He placed the phone back into his pocket, trying to tune in on the conversation/mini-argument.

Within a few seconds, Lu Han received another text.  Although he wanted to ignore it, another text came in. 

            He had an urge to want to roll his eyes when he pulled out his phone again.  Seohyun: I need to know now.  Don’t ignore me right now, Lu Han.  Another text read: I NEED TO KNOW IF YOU WILL MARRY ME OR NOT.  The guy took a in a deep breath, as he replied.  Lu Han: Seohyun, if you did became pregnant, then I will marry you.  Before he could put it away, Seohyun sent another text.

            Seohyun: So, would you only marry me if I became pregnant?  Lu Han swallowed hard, as he ate a spoonful of rice.  He didn’t want to seem like he was being preoccupied.  After taking a few bites of food, he returned to his phone.  He was debating whether or not he should tell her the truth, especially over a text.  But, he couldn’t lie either knowing the consequences it would bring.

            Lu Han: Yes, I would.  As much as he adored and cared for Seohyun, the thoughts of marrying her never crossed his mind.  Besides, he was much too young to be thinking of marriage anyways.  What’s up with girls and marriage?  It’s so annoying, he thought.  We have another 10 years or so to find the one…  What’s the rush?

            Lu Han would have rather that Seohyun asked the question face to face…  But, she didn’t.  And, that just made everything worse.  He knew that that was something that she couldn’t stand asking him in person…  And, that would have been something that he couldn’t truthfully tell her face to face.  Lu Han would have told a white lie, to make her happy because he knew that it would have made her upset.

            Seohyun: Would you marry Mia, even if she wasn’t pregnant and abandoned by her child’s father?

            Lu Han smiled at the family and excused himself to the restroom.  He didn’t want to act around them anymore with Seohyun’s uncomfortable questions.  He wanted to let out the emotions that his girlfriend’s texts were making him feel before joining with the family again.  Lu Han quickly went upstairs and into his room.  It was then when he decided to leave his phone there, so he wouldn’t be distracted any more.

            Seohyun: Am I as important to you as Mia Sunbae is to you?

            Seohyun: Are you in love with her?  What is the nature of your relationship with her, Lu Han? 

            Lu Han took in another deep breath.  He knew it all too well that it would be best to call her.  Texting to each other with a topic this touchy was not reasonable, especially when there is so much to say.  Although Lu Han didn’t like it, he had too or…  He fears that they’ll break up over the phone.

            He heard the phone ringing on the other end.  After 5 rings, Seohyun replied, “Lu Han…”  Her voice was raw and weak, as if she had been crying. He could hear her sniff every now and then…

            “Seohyun, what’s wrong?” he questioned.

            “Lulu…” she sniffed.  “Answer the questions.”

            “Seohyun.  Mia is my best friend.” he replied.  “No, I wouldn’t marry her regarding the situation you gave me.  And, yes, you are just as important to me as Mia is.  And, no.  I am not in love with my best friend.  Why are you acting like this?  What’s wrong?”

            “I honestly think that you’re lying…” sighed the girlfriend.  “You don’t treat me the same as you do with Mia…  Even though you do care about me, it’s not the same.”  Her voice became weak and she started to cry.  “If you had to choose between Mia or me, who would you choose?”

            Lu Han opened his mouth to say something when Mia came barging into the room.  “Lu-” she started, loudly as she banged her head against the door on accident.  He had placed his suitcase behind the door and forgot to move it earlier, so the door couldn’t be opened all the way.

            Lu Han let out a hearty, warm laugh even in the serious situation he was in.  He couldn’t control himself with Mia being the dork she was.  “Mia, don’t be such a klutz.” he commented.

            “Y-Yah!” she said, angry as she walked over to him.  Unfortunately, she slipped one of Lu Han’s pieces of papers scattered on the ground and fell one of her knees.  He let out another laugh, releasing the stress that was building up in him.

            Lu Han tried to help Mia up, but she batted his hand away.  “I’m going to bring out the cake soon.  Mason’s on the phone with-” continued Mia, after wincing from pain.  She quickly noticed that Lu Han was on the phone and whispered, “Sorry.”  Lu Han watched as Mia turned to leave.

            As much as he wanted to tell all the white lies he wanted with Seohyun, it was no use hiding the truth when it will only hurt his relationship with her in the end…  Regardless, either the truth or the lie will ruin his relationship.  But, he didn’t know what to do.

            “Lu Han, you can deny it all you want, but…  I know.  You care so much more about Mia than me.  She is more important to you than I will ever be.” she said, softly.

            “Seohyun-” interrupted Lu Han, trying to defend himself.  But, he let her words sank.

            In the end, I would choose Mia, he thought. 

            There was no use…  The truth was the truth. 

            “You love Mia so much…  You are completely infatuated by her that you don’t even know it…” cried Seohyun.  “And, I was just a distraction for you from the truth.  Now, I will let you go and set you free.  So, you can face the reality of your relationship with Mia Sunbae and hopefully a beautiful love story will bloom between you two.”

            “Seohyun, are you-”   

            “Yes, I am breaking up with you, Ching Lu Han.”

            Lu Han let out a sigh into the phone, as Seohyun’s cries quieted down.

            “Before I let you go, I want you to know that I really, really like you, Lu Han.  I like you so much that it feels like our relationship is a one-sided love because I know that you don’t have the same, intense feelings for me as I do for you…  Good bye, Lu Han.”

            Before he could say anything, Seohyun hung up on the other end.  He let the beeping dial tone ring in his ear as he took a moment to process.  I love Mia?, he thought, as he sat on his bed.

            Lu Han lay down on his bed and hung up his phone.  He placed it on the night stand and closed his eyes.  What is love?, he thought.  It surely can’t be this beautiful friendship I have with Mia…

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

            Sorry about not updating in a while…  I’ve been have serious writer’s block!  Maybe you guys should pitch some scenes you’d like to see to me or something because I feel like I’ve exhausted my imagination.  LOL  SORRY FOR THE LACK OF PROPER WRITTEN ENGLISH.  (I am an American, but...  I've been writing a lot of these chapters when I'm really tired, so I tend to not put in the correct word, spell it wrong, or something's just wrong.)  THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING ME REGARDLESS. :D

            And, sorry about the abrupt breakup with LuSeo…  I got really into it last night and it led to the constant text messages, so I decided to make Seohyun break up with him over the phone…  It was supposed to be face to face, but that would have been complicated.

            Once, again, SORRY about making Lu Han hardheaded.  It will be in no time that you’d all be jumping for joy.

LOVE,

loveFORyunho