Chapter 4

99% Males 1% Females

            Since Mia knows barely any Mandarin, Lu Han decided that she should be tutored until she got the basics down.  Hopefully, she’ll get it down before school starts or he will be screwed.  He couldn’t go to class not knowing the big Korean words.  It would be a horror show because Lu Han likes to be the best of the best.  It’s how it has always been.

            After a few hours in front of the white board in Uncle Chung’s office, Lu Han realized that the kid catches on pretty quickly.

            “Hello, my name is Chung Mia.” she said, getting every tone right.  And, then, she wrote up the pinyin. 

            Lu Han let out a sigh of relief.  “Were you worried that I won’t get around to teaching you some complex Korean?” He gave her a look and she just shrugs.  “I like learning new languages.”

            “Your major?” asked Lu Han as he rested his head on his palm, as she erased the board.

            “Music Performance.”  Lu Han batted his eyes, out of dislike.  What can you possibly do with a music major when it’s so competitive to get into the music industry.  “I get it!  My family is like that with me too!

            Lu Han stared at her, as she pouted.  “I love music and I want to spend my life trying to do what I love.” she said.

            “And, I love my Dad’s company and what is in store for my career…  But, seriously though…  What are you planning on doing with a music degree besides the music industry, which is-

            “I know!” said Mia, frustrated.  “My parents and I have had this talk before.  You don’t need to lecture me again.  I…  This is completely stupid!  And, I know that you’re just going to judge me, but I don’t care!”  She sent him a glare.  “I hope to compose my own songs one day.”

            “The composers barely get acknowledgement for their work.  It’s the performers.  If you really want to be famous, then…” he glanced her from head to toe.  “You should get to work.”

            “What the hell?” asked Mia, offended.  “I said that I wanted to compose my own songs, not become a performer!”

            “Then, compose!  Who tells you that you need a degree to do so?” asked Lu Han realizing that he went too far.

            Mia scoffed.  “I want to hear my song on the radio.” she said.  “I obviously feel subconscious about my work because my parents don’t support me the way I should be!”

            All the sudden, she stopped talking.  Within a 30 seconds, there was a knock on the door.  “Hey, kids.” said Uncle Chung, as he popped his head in.

            It seems like she has some acute hearing abilities, he thought.

            Mia faked a smile.  “Hey Dad.” she said.

 

******************************************************************

            My phone ringed all the sudden and excused myself.  Thank you Mason for releasing me from that baby face.  I quickly headed downstairs and out into the backyard.  I lay down on the grass, in the shade provided by our oak tree.

            “Thank you, Mason.” I answered.

            “For what?” he asked.

            “Getting me out of the room with that rotten kid.” replied Mia.  “He’s so stuck up.”

            “Is there already drama?  He hasn’t even been there for long.”

            “Yes, there is already drama!  Last night, I heard him talk to his dad, while…  More like whining to him and that made me mad so I told him off…  Wanna know some juicy things?”

            “Spill it!”

            “It turns out that his dad forced him to come here…  And, he’s been a pretty bad boy because he got himself into something that could ruin his future career and image.”  Mia did thought that maybe he was

            “Oh~  That does sound juicy!~  How does he look like?”

            “I’ll send you a picture later.”

            “You took a picture of him?”

            “Look, I did that because Mom and Dad literally abandoned us at the freaking mall for awhile.  I had to do that or if he gets lost, I’ll get in trouble.  And, at the time, I seriously did not want to be stuck trying to explain how he looks like!”

            I had to end the conversation because Mom was looking out the patio door and I knew what that meant when she did that.  She was going to come outside and tell me to get in.  So, I decided to distract her with Mason.  As it turns out, we were going to go out and eat at some fancy Korean restaurant.

            What?  How come you didn’t tell me all day that you were going to do this?  A girl needs to prepare, you know?!, I thought as Mom shooed upstairs to go and get changed. 

            I was able to dodge Dad and Lu Han, who were still in the office, talking.  I quickly went into my room and some music from my laptop.  If my parents want me to dress up with that baby face hanging around, I need to get in the mood first before I start getting pissed off again.

            DBSK’s “Keep Your Head Down” was the first song that came on.  I smiled evilly and decided to put on pretty loud.  “(Everything has ended) I haven’t even started yet….  Everyone around me keeps asking me why am I like this.” singed Yunho.  “Why are you like this?  Why are you like this?  I’m already the bad guy.”

            “I love you, Yunho!” I said loudly, as I pulled a dress out of my closet.  I didn’t care how it looked like, I just wanted to get dress and dance around my room for the mean time.  Then, the song ended and “Run Devil Run” started to play.

            I danced the choreography and partially did my makeup at the same time.  I knew it that my parents hated waiting for me, so I grabbed the flats that I wanted to wear and headed downstairs to the piano.  I smiled because my cat, Misty, was sitting on the chair.        

            “Yah, don’t be scared when I start playing my song.” said to her.

            She just looked up at me with the cutest face and I totally melted.  I started playing the piano softly when my dad walked in and smiled at me.  He was still wearing his work suit.  “You really are gifted.” he said.

            “What?” I asked, stopping.

            Dad dropped his smile.  “You didn’t need to stop.” he said.  “You’re gifted with the piano.”  I stared at him.  “What?  It looked like you were just pounding on the piano, but instead you were making beautiful, music.  That’s amazing.”

            Mia just shook her head and stood up.  “I’m going to go wait in the car.” she said.

            “Wait, what did I do wrong?” asked Dad, panicking.

            “Nothing.” I replied.  “It’s OK.  I’m just tired.”

 

 

            By the time school started, I learned basic Chinese.  But, according to Lu Han, I have a thick accent. And, he was relieved when we started the Korean lessons.  Since he already knew basic Korean, I to teach him how to write Korean.  His last tutor taught him a little bit of written Korean before he left China, but it wasn’t a strong foundation.

            So, I decided to think of a creative way for him to learn how to write proper Korean.  I asked him to make a Twitter account and write at least 5 status updates in Korean.  After the first week of this, the results were pretty good.  He learned pretty fast, but is still having trouble with some words.

            “You know your classes are, right?” I asked, as lame as possible.  My Chinese really is rough.  It was the first day of school and we were walking to the campus since we live only 2 blocks away.

            “Correction: You know where your classes are, right?” replied Lu Han.  I repeated, trying to mimic the tones as perfect as possible.   He nodded when I got it right.  “Yeah, I know where they are.”

            “That’s good.”  We figured that if we really wanted to learn each other’s languages, we might as well speak to each other like this.  If I say anything wrong, Lu Han will correct me and I do the same for him. 

            The only problem is that it will be much harder for Lu Han.  He has been catching on pretty quickly, but it will still be hard for him in class though.  I’m just glad that he has his handheld translator that can translate words that Lu Han won’t know into Mandarin.

 

*************************************************

            Lu Han let out a long sigh when his Intro to Managing class ended.  He had barely used his handheld translator only 4 times throughout the entire lecture.  At first, he wrote the Korean word wrong and Mandarin translation didn’t make sense, so he sent a good 2 minutes trying to correct it.  I’m just glad that I recorded the lecture onto my iPhone, he thought.  At least he’ll be able to listen to it later.

            That midget is a really good Korean tutor, thought Lu Han.  But, I will never say that out loud, of course.

            He was heading over the library when someone stopped him.  “Um, excuse me.” said the voice.

            Lu Han turned around and it was one his classmates.  He’s a guy with thick rimmed glasses for fashion and a bright smile.  “Yes?” asked Lu Han.  He’s from my class, he thought.

            “Hi, I’m Lee Kikwang.” said that guy and stuck out his hand.

            Lu Han shook it.  “Ching Lu Han.” he replied.

            “You’re new, right?  A transfer?” asked Kikwang. 

            “Talk slowly.” replied Lu Han, softly.  He didn’t want to sound rude.  Kikwang repeated his questions.  “Yes, I’m new and transferred here recently.”

            “Are you Chung Mia’s boyfriend?” asked Kikwang, a bit too fast.

            But, Lu Han didn’t need him to slow down to understand that.  He stared at his classmate.  “No.” he said, as he continued to walk towards the library.  I don’t need to talk to this guy if this is the direction of this conversation.

            “Wait!  I just wanted to know whether or not you two were dating!  It seemed like you two were pretty close this morning!”

            Lu Han stopped walking and turned to face the guy.  Are you serious?  You stupid person, just because I live with her does not mean that I am her boyfriend?  Kikwang almost crashed into him if he didn’t stop himself in time.  “Why do you need to know?” Lu Han asked, irritated.

            Kikwang just blushes and looks at the ground.  Lu Han narrowed his eyes.  “You like her?” he asked.

            Before Kikwang could reply, a group of students suddenly came out of the building they were standing in front of.  This scared the both of them because of all of the commotion.  It was a group of guys…  Literally chasing after a girl.  From a single look, Lu Han knew that she was plain ugly, but these guys were chasing and fighting after her like a piece of meat.

            What in the world?, thought Lu Han, shocked.  What planet am I on?

 

Author’s Note:

            Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter.  It’s a little longer this time because I didn’t know where to stop…  keke  I’m totally enjoying myself if you can’t tell!

            Yay!!  School started!  And, it only seems like it will get crazier!

LOVE,

loveFORyunho