Chapter 1

99% Males 1% Females

            FYI:  red = Chinese , blue = English, black = Korean

****

I cracked my eyes open.  Dad’s voice was what that woke me up from my lazy summer nap.  I opened the door and my dad was in the hallway with his back to me, which was strange.  He usually takes his calls in his office, down the hall.  I stood in my doorway, listening to him talk.

            “So, he’s willing to come here to study here?” asked Dad, in Mandarin.  “That’s great, Hao!”

            I just shook my head and decided to head downstairs.  Dad is always talking to Uncle Ching, some rich businessman, from Beijing.   “Uncle Ching” is not really my uncle; he’s just Dad’s SUPER, DUPER, BESTEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WORLD.   

            I went into the kitchen to make something for myself to eat.  Mfom was teaching a summer Literature class at BYU (Baek Young University), so she wouldn’t be home for a while.  Fortunately, my mom and I made some mantou (steamed buns) and steamed them last night.  I stuck one in the microwave and reheated it up. 

            Mason came in, rubbing his stomach.  “What are you doing, kid?” he asked, in English.

            I glared at him.  “I’m not a kid.” I responded, in Korean.  “Besides, we’re only 2 years apart!!”

            “Yeah, yeah…  Just teasing~  I’m just hungry.” shrugged Mason, as he opened the fridge.  “There’s nothing to eat!” 

            The microwave buzzed and I quickly took out my mantou from it.  “For god’s sake, Mia!  It’s hot!” said Mason.  “You’re going to eat something!  Eat some cold jello or something!”

            “We don’t have-”

            “Mia, ssh!” said Mason, as he brought up his index finger to his lips.

            All the little girls in high school would have died to see him do this to them, but seriously? I rolled my eyes as he heard dad from up stairs.

             “I’m glad that he decided to transfer!  When will he be able to come over?” Dad asked into the phone.  “Late July?  That’s great!  My son, Mason, will be back in the states by that time so that can be his room for the school year.”

            “What?” I asked, as I looked up at Mason. 

            He smiled that smile of his that makes all the girls swoon.  Mason was a whole entire foot taller than me.  Handsome, strong build, muscular, and slightly tan.  He has strong features like Dad, making him look distinctive.  However, Mason has Mom’s soft eyes, making him look like a nice and humble guy, which he is.

            “I’m going to leave in 2 weeks.” shrugged Mason, which will be the end of July.

            “What?!  Why?!  Your fall semester doesn’t even start until August 23rd!!” I wined.  I grabbed his arm.  “You can’t go!!  You have to stay here for the whole summer, Mason!!  We haven’t even been able to spend that much time together because you were doing your internship in Seoul!  MAAASSSSSOOOONNNNN….”

            He smiled and patted my head.  “It seems like Uncle Ching’s son is going to becoming to study here after all.  You won’t be lonely.  Not only that, but you’re a college freshman at BYU now.  Go have some fun with those guys or something.”

            Mia shivered.  “I honestly don’t want to think about that right now.” she said.

            Mason laughed out loud.  “You’ll have another great semester, don’t worry.” he said, messing up my hair.

            “MASON!”

 

 

            Dad was super excited to meet Mr. Ching’s son, Lu Han, again.  Apparently, I had met him before too.  I honestly don’t remember. 

            “Well, Lu Han’s mom died when he was 2 and you were also 2, so that has to be 1992.” said Mom.  “I won’t exactly expect you guys to remember each other.  Besides, that we would always send pictures to their family.”

            “What?!” asked Mason and I.  We were dropping off Mason at the airport and have to wait there another hour for this Lu Han guy.

            “Which pictures did you exactly sent?” asked Mason, horrified.

            “I know!” I said.  “Don’t tell me it’s those pictures of us running around as kids?!!”

            “Well…” started Mom.

            “Oh my GAWD!!” Mason and I screamed.

            “Recital pictures, year book pictures, and more.” smiled Dad.  “And, they were always kind of enough to send some back.  Just think of Lu Han as your cousin and Uncle Ching as Uncle Ching.”

            “How come we never saw these pictures?” I asked.

            “What do you mean?” asked Dad.

            “We always show them to you guys.” replied Mom.

            “I know, Mia.  Don’t you remember?” asked Mason, as he turned to me.

            I quickly searched my memories.  “No.”

            “Well, start remembering.” stated my mom, as she shoved a photo album from the front seats.

           

 

            I always hate departures.  They are always bittersweet…  And, I would always end up crying.

            “Mason,” I said as I teared up. “I’m going to miss you!!”  Then, attacked him with a bear hug.

            I could hear Mason laught.  “And, I love you too Mia.” he said.  He pulled away from the hug and looked down at me.  “Don’t worry, with Lu Han around you wouldn’t even notice that I was gone.”

            I flashed him a face.  You got to be kidding me right?

            After Mason got past the security and headed to the gates, we decided to go have some lunch.  And, I was put to work by my parents with the photo album.  I spent the hour looking at pictures of this little boy practically growing up.  The only problem is that, after he reached 7th grade, he hasn’t aged since. 

            Damn!  This baby face looks like a little boy!  There is no way he is my age!, I thought.

            After waiting forever, the flight from Beijing arrived.  There were so many people getting off of that flight that I didn’t know where to look, but my parents were the ones that spotted him.  They hugged and greeted him in Mandarin, while I stood in the background, observing.  Lu Han was super skinny and tall, but with a little boy face. I guess no matter how old he’s going to be, he’s going to look like a boy.

            Then, they all turned to me.  Lu Han stuck out his hand to me and smiled.  “Hi, I’m Ching Lu Han.” he said.

            All the sudden I remembered what Mason said right before he left.  “Be a good girl now.” whispered Mason, with a sly smile and winked.

            What the hell?!  What does that even mean?  Be a good girl around this guy?  He looks like a little boy!!, I thought.

            “Mia.” said Dad, softly, but sternly pulling me out of my thoughts.

            “How are you?” I asked, weakly.  I was supposed to introduce myself to him, not ask him how he’s doing!!  Great…  My mom is going to give me a lecture later.

            “Very good.” replied Lu Han, with a scoff and a small smile.

            Seriously, that did not sound good.  This is NOT a great start at ALL!!!

 

Author’s Note:

            I hope that everyone enjoyed this chapter!  It’s short, but hopefully will get juicier in the future!

            BTW, I know that Lu Han’s real, whole name is just “Lu Han.”  So, I didn’t want to call Han in this story, so I decided to get a fake last name for him…  And call him, Lu Han.

            Remember: red = Chinese, blue = English, black = Korean.

 

LOVE,

loveFORyunho